Lectric Panda's Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer Song Challenge | The Announcement

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tibah

10 Jun 2016

First time ever having another entry. ;)

Skullture

10 Jun 2016

tibah wrote:

Nostromo is ace! ;)
A damn, sounds so pro man :o

Melody303

11 Jun 2016

Since the contest is open to multiple entries...

This is only 3 Nostromo synths, without any external effects (besides Ozone, which is always on my master out.)
The amazing thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that these sounds were achieved by randomizing the oscillators.
(Oh, and the picture is of my teddybear, William. :D)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

The Real Deanc2000

12 Jun 2016

I'm going to assume that Rewiring to reaper is against the rules, as I will be using non-Reason effects. Right?

tibah

12 Jun 2016

The Real Deanc2000 wrote:I'm going to assume that Rewiring to reaper is against the rules, as I will be using non-Reason effects. Right?
Correct. ;) Everything Reason. You can use any other RE effects and utilities. You may even record vocals or guitar.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2016

Nice to see there's a lot of activity for this song challenge. It's only been a couple of days and there's 11 entries already.

Buddaka

12 Jun 2016

whoop whoop, another songchallenge! Hype hype :thumbs_up:
Thanks Noel and EP! And good luck to everyone of you mudaskunks. :)

frog974new

12 Jun 2016

i become crazy with the Nostromo :puf_bigsmile:
my second entry an other Hardfloor oldscool trancey vibes
njoy

sdst
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2016

my Psychedelic chillwave Song is present. lol

good luck all

tibah

12 Jun 2016

I might be wrong, but I believe no other challenge had so many multiple entries already. A good sign if a synth gets you that creative! ;)

chimp_spanner

12 Jun 2016

I'm entering the sh*t out of this :) love this synth.

Scoobyman II

12 Jun 2016

I was immediately inspired by the "Acid Drums" patch. Then 8 Nostromos plus the guitar going through a ninth followed.

The Real Deanc2000

12 Jun 2016

I'm reading the manual currently about this synth, but can someone make a tutorial showing basic creation of leads, basses, and polys? Thanks.

tibah

12 Jun 2016

The Real Deanc2000 wrote:I'm reading the manual currently about this synth, but can someone make a tutorial showing basic creation of leads, basses, and polys? Thanks.
The main difference is in Nostromos OSCs (compared to a subtractive synth). You should be able to apply the knowledge to Nostromo easily and then get your head around the OSC design. At least, this is what I get from your question. You seem to have knowledge about synthesis in general. Don't get overwhelmed. Nostromo gets as complicated or easy as you like it to be. You don't have to use the sweeping at all or use all of the 9 tables. :)

As a basic example: Take the very first patch from the non-categorized starter/show patches "Atomic mkII". A very simple mono lead with some pitch modulation. Play it in a lower octave and it becomes a bass. Increase the polyphony and disable legato and it becomes a poly sound. It's a great patch to learn Nostromo from a more traditional, subtractive view.

VNUprod

12 Jun 2016

thanks for this Competition,

here is my entry! :)

Reasonistas
RE Developer

12 Jun 2016

tibah wrote:I might be wrong, but I believe no other challenge had so many multiple entries already. A good sign if a synth gets you that creative! ;)
Yeap....14 entries in 5 days is definitely a record.

I'm actually starting to listen to all entries now concerned (in a good way) that we'll end up with 100 entries at this rate. :o

Good luck to all participants. :thumbs_up:
ImageImage

RequiemMachine

12 Jun 2016

Just a few questions to make sure I'm compliant with the rules...

Is it acceptable to bounce and the edit the Nostromo's audio? I tend to do a lot of resampling and usually prefer working with audio. I do most of my sound design in it's own reason file (which I could provide along with the song file if needed...which would show the steps taken to arrive at the final bounced audio).

Second question is would it be ok to take bounced audio from the Nostromo's and use it in an NN19? (I'm assuming no...which is fine as I could achieve most of what I could do in NN19 with some creative editing and effects use).

Thanks for the creating this unique synth....I'm getting some gnarly sounds out of it!
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

platzangst

12 Jun 2016

RequiemMachine wrote: Is it acceptable to bounce and the edit the Nostromo's audio? I tend to do a lot of resampling and usually prefer working with audio. I do most of my sound design in it's own reason file (which I could provide along with the song file if needed...which would show the steps taken to arrive at the final bounced audio).

Second question is would it be ok to take bounced audio from the Nostromo's and use it in an NN19? (I'm assuming no...which is fine as I could achieve most of what I could do in NN19 with some creative editing and effects use).
the rules wrote:(you can use drums samples and samples of Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer)
Keeping in mind that I am in no way an official (or even unofficial) judge, I'd say you could in both cases.

However, since the purpose of the challenge is to show off the features of the Nostromo, I would, if it were me, question whether doing so would be showcasing the Nostromo - or Reason's features, instead.

Despondo
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2016

And...Here's my second entry:

Hadley's Hope:

This is an inspiring synth! :-)

Reasonistas
RE Developer

13 Jun 2016

platzangst wrote:
RequiemMachine wrote: Is it acceptable to bounce and the edit the Nostromo's audio? I tend to do a lot of resampling and usually prefer working with audio. I do most of my sound design in it's own reason file (which I could provide along with the song file if needed...which would show the steps taken to arrive at the final bounced audio).

the rules wrote:(you can use drums samples and samples of Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer)
Keeping in mind that I am in no way an official (or even unofficial) judge, I'd say you could in both cases.

However, since the purpose of the challenge is to show off the features of the Nostromo, I would, if it were me, question whether doing so would be showcasing the Nostromo - or Reason's features, instead.
You are correct. The rules permit. Thanks.
ImageImage

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Jun 2016

Great sounding tracks so far, you guys are going to make this hard.

8cros

15 Jun 2016

I have one phrase from the movie in the middle of the track. I need to remove it?
I have two versions, and I sent the track marked for replacement. :oops:

Thank you, and I was so worried about it. :)
Last edited by 8cros on 15 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Jun 2016

8cros wrote:I have one phrase from the movie in the middle of the track. I need to remove it?

I have two versions, and I sent the track marked for replacement. :oops:
Yes so we approved the 2nd version.
ImageImage

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2016

Here's my entry:

Can't remember the last time I used this much reverb on any track :)
This is probably a personal record in reverb usage.

stratatonic

17 Jun 2016

Ok, here's mine, but damn I'm having trouble getting this to stick on the group page... (it's been a while since I entered one of these... :()

• Information