New EQ - RedRock RE3Q Sixband Equalizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
teddymcw

31 Aug 2016

So, I'm pretty sure that I'm really, really liking everything about this eq. Thank you Red Rock!
Yet, can anyone with a more distinguished ear than mine help to explain a tiny bit more on how this might compare with what other EQ REs with 'coloration' have to offer such as the MP5, McDSP stuff or Trident?

decibel

31 Aug 2016

would love to hear some more experienced opinions also, eqs & reverbs are my fave devices, so tempted to grab this even though my next payday is a long way off now, im already living off cheap potato and beans soup already after last few purchases ;)

K1TTENM1TTEN

31 Aug 2016

teddymcw wrote:So, I'm pretty sure that I'm really, really liking everything about this eq. Thank you Red Rock!
Yet, can anyone with a more distinguished ear than mine help to explain a tiny bit more on how this might compare with what other EQ REs with 'coloration' have to offer such as the MP5, McDSP stuff or Trident?
This is a Selig question :-D Hopefully the magical sound wizard of EQs will answer to the Bat Signal on this great mystery :lol:

decibel

31 Aug 2016

bit the bullet and grabbed it, this is a sick eq, no regrets what so ever ;)

dvdrtldg

31 Aug 2016

Yeah I'm loving this one

Loque

01 Sep 2016

Nice one. Pretty unique in its possibilities. Good job, RedRock!
Reason12, Win10

K1TTENM1TTEN

01 Sep 2016

Does anyone have a pretty solid sounding "with" and "without" track they would upload for us? I really wish Red Rock would have done that from the get-go :'( The audio in the video demo thing is really low and I'd like to get a good feel for what it is actually doing before downloading the demo :-D

Marco Raaphorst

01 Sep 2016

Stock Music Musician wrote:I did up a quick review and demo of the RE3Q. I'm not one to recommend a lot of EQs (I do 90% of eqing with the mixer or MClass), but I'd definitely recommend the RE3Q. It's eminently usable, and seems to act in some surprising ways. I'm sure you could do many of these things with other EQs, but this one allows you to quickly dial in some interesting manipulations. I'd say it's especially useful on busses. Plus, the "rock band" is basically a much better harmonic exciter than Red Rock's official one.

My only real gripe is the lack (currently) of documentation. I want to know what it happens when the "peak" light comes on, for example. And I'd like to know if the Q for all of the bands is a static 2 octaves or not. But, nonetheless, my ears enjoy it a lot.

mmm that track you're using at 5:42 seems to sound like heavy mp3 compression. there's something low res going on.

Loque

01 Sep 2016

Maybe this one here helps. I used it to clean some muddy bass in a 303. First part without anything. Second (after clap) with EQ. Third (again clap) with processing, no EQ. Forth (another clap) with processing and EQ. Maybe you need to listen to it several times, to get the mudd cleaning at the low end, with some additional rock settings. Makes it sit much better in the mix or to create more pressure in the lower end. Note that i lowered the input when active, so no overdrive (with overdrive sounds pretty cool).

Attachments
eqsettings.jpg
eqsettings.jpg (45.56 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Reason12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

01 Sep 2016

the best test for EQ for me are acoustic and natural sounding things. a completely treated signal is not a reference for an EQ. it won't show me anything.

don't want to sound rude. but for understanding what an EQ is doing you need something that is natural sounding in my opinion. something we all can relate to. often the human voice is best. or a guitar. a violin. a piano.

Loque

01 Sep 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:the best test for EQ for me are acoustic and natural sounding things. a completely treated signal is not a reference for an EQ. it won't show me anything.

don't want to sound rude. but for understanding what an EQ is doing you need something that is natural sounding in my opinion. something we all can relate to. often the human voice is best. or a guitar. a violin. a piano.
Did not knew that EQs are only used for that, but feel free to test it as every other does if he wants to know something about a RE.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

01 Sep 2016

teddymcw wrote:So, I'm pretty sure that I'm really, really liking everything about this eq. Thank you Red Rock!
Not sure this EQ adds any color - isn't mentioned in the store page description. It does say "minimal phase distortion", but all EQs that are not linear phase exhibit the same exact amount of phase distortion when their curves match. It's the phase differences that causes the EQ curve to be created in the first place, so same EQ curve always equals the same phase shift. I've not tested this one yet, but I tested the Maag plugin and it was not doing anything special phase wise that any other EQ does - phase and curves were easily replicated with other EQs. Will try to test this EQ in the next week or so and post the frequency and phase plots if anyone's interested.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

02 Sep 2016

I am very impressed by how natural it sounds. Tried it on some voices and it is super easy to make them sound more 'open', a little more clear, but super natural.

dana

02 Sep 2016

The response curves are very wide and flat, mostly affecting the overall signal.

From what i can understand, at the default settings you are listening to your signal through a set of 6 carefully tuned bandpass filters.

If you listen carefully, the air in the music changes without any gain change when you turn the Rock band filter (the 6th filter) frequency from off to 2.5. I think in the off position there is a different filter from the others that matches the entire high-end spectrum.

Its a very clean EQ but with a character of its own.

K1TTENM1TTEN

02 Sep 2016

selig wrote: Not sure this EQ adds any color - isn't mentioned in the store page description. It does say "minimal phase distortion", but all EQs that are not linear phase exhibit the same exact amount of phase distortion when their curves match. It's the phase differences that causes the EQ curve to be created in the first place, so same EQ curve always equals the same phase shift. I've not tested this one yet, but I tested the Maag plugin and it was not doing anything special phase wise that any other EQ does - phase and curves were easily replicated with other EQs. Will try to test this EQ in the next week or so and post the frequency and phase plots if anyone's interested.
I am highly interested, please do!

Red Rock

02 Sep 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
selig wrote: Not sure this EQ adds any color - isn't mentioned in the store page description. It does say "minimal phase distortion", but all EQs that are not linear phase exhibit the same exact amount of phase distortion when their curves match. It's the phase differences that causes the EQ curve to be created in the first place, so same EQ curve always equals the same phase shift. I've not tested this one yet, but I tested the Maag plugin and it was not doing anything special phase wise that any other EQ does - phase and curves were easily replicated with other EQs. Will try to test this EQ in the next week or so and post the frequency and phase plots if anyone's interested.
I am highly interested, please do!

I think it is unnecessary to wait for so long, let me guess the approximate meaning of what will be the answer: "EQ as EQ, nothing special, in fact they are, all the same."

Each new answer Selig become more predictable
Last edited by Red Rock on 02 Sep 2016, edited 2 times in total.

Red Rock

02 Sep 2016

From manual Maag Eq4: (https://plugin-alliance.scdn2.secure.ra ... ual_en.pdf)
"The EQ4 provides unparalleled transparency and top end presence while maintaining the true natural sound behind the signal or mix. EQ adjustments are obtained with minimal phase shift and the AIR BAND® interacts with the other bands (during the ‘summing’ process)"

According to Selig, they tricked receive $ 229 for each sold copy of the equalizer

Dave Pensado, too, was caught on their fishing tackle and bought equalizer like the others, spent $ 229 just like that, ha, ha. One Selig does not buy anything, because he knows that all the same :)

Advertising:
All Eq the same, all compressors the same, all in the world the same, only the exclusive products Selig, if you no want to be like, buy products Selig: https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/? ... dio,%20LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2016

I've tried this EQ now for a while and compared it to most of my other EQs (mostly GQ7, but also mp5 and the McDSP stuff).

Just to clarify I go by my ears and tweak around till I get something similar. It's all very non scientific :)
No graphs or analyzers or any of that stuff. Just me, my EQs and my experience of working with them and comparing them as I would when making a song.

I think it does offer something different, especially in the "rock band" or "air band" as other Maag EQs call it. That's probably what I'll use this EQ for the most. I wasn't really able to get that sound with my other EQs. I'm not saying it's impossible but I couldn't.

I can see why people are interested in graphs and the science behind these things, you don't want to buy stuff if you don't need it or are already able to do it with what you have. Personally I don't really care about the math or science behind it. If I can get better, different or faster results with less effort then this EQ offers value to me.
I'll probably end up buying it.

Still, everybody should try it out for themselves. Opinions are pretty useless, in my opinion :)
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 03 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

03 Sep 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:Still, everybody should try it out for themselves. Opinions are pretty useless, in my opinion :)
Classic :D

teddymcw

03 Sep 2016

"If I can get better, different or faster results with less effort then this EQ offers value to me."

Yes, and this! While considering that many (probly esp reason users?) still have an interest in expanding their knowledge of the 'full stack' especially when something sounds real sweet like Selig's REs and of course this EQ by Red Rock. I find EQ'ing can be exceptionally elusive in terms of what is going on under the hood, and we are dealing with an environment where the source code is closed so its great to talk about how the fruit is being made, if you will. No special sauce recipes should be granted, its just always great to hear more of how what sauce goes with what meal and why, feel me?

Bottom line, this shit is dope, always learning. Respectah to all.

Marco Raaphorst

03 Sep 2016

I now dislike the SSL and MClass EQ. Both will quickly add phasing problems to the sound. The Ableton Live EQ is much better I must say. Don't know why but on voice that's way more natural too. I do a lot of documentary stuff and Ableton is simply the best audio editor ever. But in Reason nothing beats the RE3Q for voices at the moment. It's killer.

sdst
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2016

great job with this eq RedRock. :)

please consider making more of these classic eq

tomba

03 Sep 2016

Tried this eq on a master bus and then on individual channels/tracks. Found it to REALLY remove "mid range mud" on a mix the most.

The Rockband or "Airband" as it cant be called is almost like RedRocks BBE exciter emulator but the RE3Q emulates the Maag one. The RE3Q "Airband" function isn't good on vocals and to my ear the RedRock exciter is better on full mixes as it has a more "radio-known" sound.

However...That 40hz dropped all the way down and the 650hz dropped all the way down while you control the sub and mid parts REALLY can clear up a mix esp one thats giving you kick and bass issues(though maybe Ochens Carves best for determining that) even though a setting like that is harsh it does work in the case of this eq.

Then again I pile Eq's. And this one handles the mid range in a musical way other rack extension eqs can not...
:reason: :re:

miscend

03 Sep 2016

Here's a good article on why some digital EQs are better than others. Or You could just use the one that comes with your daw.

https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... #more-1308
Last edited by miscend on 03 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2016

Just bought it.
The highs in the "rock band" really is great. I've been looking for a way to get that airy top end for quite some time now and think I finally found it with RE3Q.

• Information