Best Wave-Table Synth in Reason - POLL ADDED

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

What is, in your opinion, the best wavetable synth in reason?

Rob Papen Vecto Instrument
9%
Lectric Panda LLC Nostromo Spectral Synth
20%
Blamsoft Inc./eXode Expanse Hyperwave Synthesizer
57%
LoveOne Consulting AB Vibro Wavetable Synthesizer
9%
Skrock Music Orbis Wavetable Synthesizer
No votes
Skrock Music Solaris
4%
Skrock Music Aurora Hybrid Synthesizer
No votes
Zakuna Prod Lithium WT Synthesizer
No votes

Total votes: 54
GRIFTY

22 Sep 2016

Which one? There's quite a few now if i'm not mistaken? I currently own none, and am only liable to purchase one. So which one deserves my money the most? Basically, without naming names, I'm asking about one new major synth Vs one certain slightly older but still kinda newish major synth. But if there are others i'm also game
Last edited by GRIFTY on 26 Sep 2016, edited 2 times in total.

eXode

22 Sep 2016

I'm biased obviously, but I'm still going to say Expanse. Not only is the sound quality excellent/in a league of it's own - but the harmonic editor and the mods combo take it further than any other wavetable synth in Reason atm.

modecca

22 Sep 2016

Nostromo: while this synth will not give you those bold serum /omnisphere wavetable sweeps:
I believe the heart of this synth emerges when you use as many of its features per patch as possible.
I use all three oscillators each one doing something completely different, use both filters (am+comb for example) use 3 different sweep shapes at different speeds.
This results in some unique organic layered textures.
Last edited by modecca on 23 Sep 2016, edited 2 times in total.
🔗💥

raymondh

22 Sep 2016

I would add the wavetables (especially the PWM ones) are very good, filters sound very nice, and the user interface aches to be programmed. It is an excellent implementation.

To my ear at least, eXpanse, while it has a lot of sonic variety, has a kind of Oberheim sound to it - which I like.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2016

At the end of the day you to need to try them and decide which one suits your workflow best ( do you want to grab a preset or create a sound from ground up)..

I did think that eXpanse was hype up in the beginning however having used it for many several hours now and created some sounds on it (and doing the Nektar mapping for it) I will give it a big thumbs up and even though I love creating sounds from ground up, there are some very good presets there.

One synth I notice that people don't talk about much is Oberon, to my knowledge it's the only one that allows you to create your own "Wave" from the ground up, personally I love it..

TBH I have a whole list of synths I love :)

Have fun trying them....

GRIFTY

26 Sep 2016

I added a poll, because everybody loves polls. Let me know if there's a synth I missed!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2016

I haven't tried all of them, but out of those I have tried it's Expanse for me.

fotizimo

26 Sep 2016

GRIFTY wrote:I added a poll, because everybody loves polls. Let me know if there's a synth I missed!
We should have a poll to see if everyone loves polls :puf_smile:
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

VHS

26 Sep 2016

Expanse is the best overall IMO, no question. Easy to program, powerful mods, clean oscillators, wonderful backside, i could go on.

The most interesting/unique is Nostromo. I don't like the *envelopes*, the presets left *much to be desired*, and *programming can be time consuming*, but the oscillators are insane. I don't think people understand the power of this beast yet.

p.s. The song in my signature is 100% Nostromo

corrected and edited in some social skills.
Last edited by VHS on 28 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

rcbuse
RE Developer

27 Sep 2016

VHS wrote:The most interesting/unique is Nostromo. I don't like the filters, the presets are awful, and its no fun to program, but the oscillators are insane. I don't think people understand the power of this beast yet.
Interesting, could you elaborate on what you don't like about the filters? User feedback is always helpful.

challism

28 Sep 2016

rcbuse wrote:
VHS wrote:The most interesting/unique is Nostromo. I don't like the filters, the presets are awful, and its no fun to program, but the oscillators are insane. I don't think people understand the power of this beast yet.
Interesting, could you elaborate on what you don't like about the filters? User feedback is always helpful.
I don't understand this comment from VHS at all. Nostromo one of my favorite synths in Reason. I think it has some really nice presets (if you like pads, for instance, it's got some amazing presets) and I think the filters are fine.... there are many filter choices... and they all filter as they should. Anyway, I would also ask that you expand your comment a bit so we can better understand where you are coming from. You are, obviously, entitled to your opinion, but it would be great to know why you feel that way, exactly. :)

Back to the topic... this is a hard one for me to answer with just one synth. I haven't tried them all, but I own 3 of them, and love all 3 of them for different reasons. I have Vibro, Nostromo and eXpanse. If I had to choose one, I guess I would have to say eXpanse, but that isn't to slight the other two. They are all three amazing in their own way. I absolutely love the huge variety of available wave tables in Nostromo, and the sweeping functionality is off the charts amazing. Vibro is a very interesting beast, too. It's capable of making some really harsh and out of this world sounds. It's randomizer is incredible. Nostromo also has some random capabilities, which I love, but it only randomizes the wave table chain....still very useful to come up with some excellent and unique sounds. Perhaps Rob will add a randomize all button in a future update?? That would mind-blowing!
fotizimo wrote:
GRIFTY wrote:I added a poll, because everybody loves polls. Let me know if there's a synth I missed!
We should have a poll to see if everyone loves polls :puf_smile:
I love poles. But only when they have strippers on them. Could someone please send in the strippers.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

VHS

28 Sep 2016

[/quote]
rcbuse wrote:
I am dumb, I meant to type envelopes. Ill be sure to proofread posts in the future. I actually quite like the bandpasses and AM/RM filters, and I apologize for the confusion. While were on the topic though, some notches and peaks would be nice :puf_smile:
I will also say that the other mod sources make up for the envelopes to some degree.
challism wrote:
I think it has some really nice presets (if you like pads, for instance, it's got some amazing presets) and I think the filters are fine.... there are many filter choices... and they all filter as they should. Anyway, I would also ask that you expand your comment a bit so we can better understand where you are coming from. You are, obviously, entitled to your opinion, but it would be great to know why you feel that way, exactly. :)
The filters are fine, you are correct.
It should be noted that presets don't matter that much to me, but the quality definitely stood out and Im actually not the first to comment about it. By no means did I try every single preset, but I wasn't impressed with/couldn't use 95% of the ones I did try. Seemed like a lot of them were just "push randomize" more than they were crafted. sorry. Just not my taste I suppose.

I would have bought this thing (if I had money... ever) regardless of the presets.
challism wrote:
I don't understand this comment from VHS at all. Nostromo one of my favorite synths in Reason.
Mine too, thats why I commented about it. Some things aren't perfect just because I love them.

Skullture

30 Sep 2016

I really really wanted to pick Vecto because I think it's far underrated. But Expanse is the one and true winner here. All though in all honesty most of the synths on the list are incredibly well built, coded and put together. So the competition is super strong. I'm always thinking of the amount of effort that has to be put into developing RE's. My huge respects to all devs on this list here.

• Information