Pump is in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Shokstar

03 Nov 2016

I've found a bug.

It's not possible to create a note lane and that's important for recording the triggered notes. Workaround is the Combinator but it goes faster with a note lane.

XysteR

03 Nov 2016

Drawing in automation for 'Smooth' and 'Slide' is not correct too - The rest seem to be fine though.

*EDIT I just reported the bug to: support@sonicbits.io
Last edited by XysteR on 03 Nov 2016, edited 3 times in total.

Shokstar

03 Nov 2016

They should add me to their beta team!

XysteR

03 Nov 2016

Shokstar wrote:They should add me to their beta team!
haha me too. At first I thought it not working when the sequencer is stopped could be a bug, but it must work the same way as Synchronous. Need to hit play on the transport and have either data in the lane, or manually play for it to work.

At least they're easy bugs to fix and that's a good thing. Great little device even with the early minor teething issues
Last edited by XysteR on 03 Nov 2016, edited 4 times in total.

joeyluck

03 Nov 2016

Shokstar wrote:I've found a bug.

It's not possible to create a note lane and that's important for recording the triggered notes. Workaround is the Combinator but it goes faster with a note lane.
It's possible here. I'm on Mac.

- 'Create Track' (either by right clicking on the device and choosing 'Create Track' or by clicking the MIDI focus arrow in the rack)
- Right click on the device in the Sequencer and choose 'New Note Lane'

Shokstar

03 Nov 2016

Creating a track is impossible but I can't record noted or drag and drop them to the seq channel because it's not creating a note lane for the midi clips!
Last edited by Shokstar on 03 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

XysteR

03 Nov 2016

Shokstar wrote:Creating a track is possible but I can't record noted or drag and drop them to the seq channel because it's not creating a note lane for the midi clips!
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here? It seems to be working ok for me. I drag an expanse synth to the rack, drag an instance of Pump under it as an insert. Record with expanse track selected - In go the midi notes as normal. Then to automate a parameter in Pump I just right click on a parameter as normal and it creates an automation lane for that parameter within pump. Works as it should apart from the automation for the two parameters I mentioned were bugged a few posts up.

I don't think you're meant to draw in midi notes for Pump, only the instrument you're using pump on? So it seems the only lanes that can accompany Pump are automation lanes

joeyluck

03 Nov 2016

Shokstar wrote:Creating a track is impossible but I can't record noted or drag and drop them to the seq channel because it's not creating a note lane for the midi clips!
You have to do as I mentioned above and create a new note lane first. That's the step you are missing I suppose.

XysteR

03 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Shokstar wrote:Creating a track is impossible but I can't record noted or drag and drop them to the seq channel because it's not creating a note lane for the midi clips!
You have to do as I mentioned above and create a new note lane first. That's the step you are missing I suppose.
Am I missing something here Joey? Why would a note lane be needed for the effect. I assumed only the instrument that is being effected by Pump has the note data, and Pump as an insert effect can only have automation lanes?

joeyluck

03 Nov 2016

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to do Shokstar,
Here's Pump with a track created and Note Lane...
Pump-note_lane.jpg
Pump-note_lane.jpg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 1867 times

joeyluck

03 Nov 2016

XysteR wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Am I missing something here Joey? Why would a note lane be needed for the effect. I assumed only the instrument that is being effected by Pump has the note data, and Pump as an insert effect can only have automation lanes?
For the note trigger/note gate modes. Most folks might place it in a Combinator with an instrument and tell it to receive notes along with the instrument. But there are cases when you might apply it to an audio track for instance and want to simply play and record note triggers into the Sequencer for the device itself.

XysteR

03 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:
XysteR wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
For the note trigger/note gate modes. Most folks might place it in a Combinator with an instrument and tell it to receive notes along with the instrument. But there are cases when you might apply it to an audio track for instance and want to simply play and record note triggers into the Sequencer for the device itself.
Ah now I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Shokstar

03 Nov 2016

Joey are you using the Sierra OSX?

XysteR

03 Nov 2016

Shokstar, I think I have it. Drag a Pump into the rack. Right click on pump and select 'Create Track For ***********' then right click the track it creates in the sequencer and select 'New Note Lane'.

Shokstar

03 Nov 2016

XysteR wrote:Shokstar, I think I have it. Drag a Pump into the rack. Right click on pump and select 'Create Track For ***********' then right click the track it creates in the sequencer and select 'New Note Lane'.
Yes, like usual and that doesn't work. Maybe it has something to do with the new Sierra OSX. Idk. I'll double check it when I get home. Sometimes is Reason the troublemaker instead of the plugin.

XysteR

03 Nov 2016

Shokstar wrote:
XysteR wrote:Shokstar, I think I have it. Drag a Pump into the rack. Right click on pump and select 'Create Track For ***********' then right click the track it creates in the sequencer and select 'New Note Lane'.
Yes, like usual and that doesn't work. Maybe it has something to do with the new Sierra OSX. Idk. I'll double check it when I get home. Sometimes is Reason the troublemaker instead of the plugin.
Well it would seem if it's ok for Joey on 10.9.5 then Sierra or Reason would likely be the culprit. I'm on Windows 10. For the time being I'll hold off with Sierra on my MacBook pro then.

joeyluck

03 Nov 2016

Those are the steps I gave above :puf_smile:
joeyluck wrote:

- 'Create Track' (either by right clicking on the device and choosing 'Create Track' or by clicking the MIDI focus arrow in the rack)

XysteR

03 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Those are the steps I gave above :puf_smile:
joeyluck wrote:

My head is firmly up my arse today Joey - sorry about that :lol:

Shokstar

03 Nov 2016

Right click on the seq. track works well now. On the last session was it not available. It´s not a bug.

I´m sorry for making so much noise about that!

Gorgon

03 Nov 2016

XysteR wrote:Just had a go. Its actually a damn cool device - It saves you making ghost kick channels and setting up a sidechain with the SSL or your choice compressor. I'm not sure I'll end up putting it in my sends. I think for me, it'd be more used as an insert on bass and or pads. I found you can get some nice movement between a bass and pad when clagging this in as an insert with slightly differing automated settings. On a creative level this is saves a lot of time. So I bought it.
Sounds good.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

joeyluck

03 Nov 2016

XysteR wrote:My head is firmly up my arse today Joey - sorry about that :lol:
Haha no need to be sorry! Glad you are here to help :puf_smile: And discovering it for yourself is satisfying.
Shokstar wrote:Right click on the seq. track works well now. On the last session was it not available. It´s not a bug.

You should add me to your personal bug report debunking beta team! :cool: :P

Jmax

03 Nov 2016

Here's a short video I made with pump playing with some features.

Shokstar

03 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:
XysteR wrote:My head is firmly up my arse today Joey - sorry about that :lol:
Haha no need to be sorry! Glad you are here to help :puf_smile: And discovering it for yourself is satisfying.
Shokstar wrote:Right click on the seq. track works well now. On the last session was it not available. It´s not a bug.

You should add me to your personal bug report debunking beta team! :cool: :P
Will do it :D Damn, what a funny fail xD

joeyluck

03 Nov 2016

This is certainly a great device and a great price, but I prefer using kHs Trance Gate for similar functions.
It gives more flexibility over the patterns (unlike the preset ones of Pump; which are great) and I prefer using the Trance Gate's envelope and it's approach with faders.

The Shape knob on Pump isn't quite what I was expecting. For what it is, it could have been a drop-down of shapes (and less of a mystery dial). But then again I do like how it compliments the interface... Not sure if shape labels could fit around the dial (making it more of a selector knob that it is). But I guess if this is your goto device, you'll learn what numbers correspond to what shapes.

Still gets a high score from me. I just prefer another tool for the job :puf_smile:

• Information