Pump is in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

03 Nov 2016

Shokstar wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
XysteR wrote:My head is firmly up my arse today Joey - sorry about that :lol:
Haha no need to be sorry! Glad you are here to help :puf_smile: And discovering it for yourself is satisfying.
Shokstar wrote:Right click on the seq. track works well now. On the last session was it not available. It´s not a bug.

I´m sorry for making so much noise about that!
You should add me to your personal bug report debunking beta team! :cool: :P
Will do it :D Damn, what a funny fail xD
All in good fun!

For what it's worth, it does feel like a step too many to arrive at a Note Lane created. That's the way it is though...

I know instruments have tracks/note lanes created automatically upon creation of the device (and categorizing devices as such just for that feature can be confusing as this is certainly an effect).

But I wonder if it's possible to have a Note Lane created automatically after a track is created for an effect device?

Shokstar

03 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Shokstar wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
XysteR wrote:My head is firmly up my arse today Joey - sorry about that :lol:
Haha no need to be sorry! Glad you are here to help :puf_smile: And discovering it for yourself is satisfying.
Shokstar wrote:Right click on the seq. track works well now. On the last session was it not available. It´s not a bug.

I´m sorry for making so much noise about that!
You should add me to your personal bug report debunking beta team! :cool: :P
Will do it :D Damn, what a funny fail xD
All in good fun!

For what it's worth, it does feel like a step too many to arrive at a Note Lane created. That's the way it is though...

I know instruments have tracks/note lanes created automatically upon creation of the device (and categorizing devices as such just for that feature can be confusing as this is certainly an effect).

But I wonder if it's possible to have a Note Lane created automatically after a track is created for an effect device?
Buffre can do that, if you create a seq track for that and Buffre is creating autom. a note lane too :)

geir
RE Developer

03 Nov 2016

Hi, and thank you for the great feedback on the device.
Hope I haven't taken these totally out of contexts:
XysteR wrote:Drawing in automation for 'Smooth' and 'Slide' is not correct too - The rest seem to be fine though.

*EDIT I just reported the bug to: support@sonicbits.io
Report received. Thanks. We're looking into this.
joeyluck wrote:But I wonder if it's possible to have a Note Lane created automatically after a track is created for an effect device?
Yes it is. And it will be included in the next, not so far away, update :)
Shokstar wrote:They should add me to their beta team!
We might just take you up on that ;)
XysteR wrote:haha me too. At first I thought it not working when the sequencer is stopped could be a bug, but it must work the same way as Synchronous. Need to hit play on the transport and have either data in the lane, or manually play for it to work.
And you ;)
Yes, it needs some kind of trigger to work. Either transport or note/gate input. I don't think free running, like on LFOs, would make much sense for this device. So to trigger it together with a synth it has to be wrapped up in a combinator and set to "Receive Notes". As already mentioned earlier here I think.

Best regards
Geir / sonicbits.io

joeyluck

03 Nov 2016

geir wrote:
joeyluck wrote:But I wonder if it's possible to have a Note Lane created automatically after a track is created for an effect device?
Yes it is. And it will be included in the next, not so far away, update
Awesome! :thumbs_up:
Also good to know. I was getting ready to check other devices.

DexStar

04 Nov 2016

I totally disagree in getting a note lane automatically. Many of us would only use the rate knob and will not need this cluttering of the sequencer. If I create many "pumps" and connect them with a CV spider to chain all my synth separately this will fill my sequencer with empty lanes. If you need a lane right click "create note lane"... that's it!

What it meight need is an audio-in for audio triggering. So I could chain my original drums from dr. octo rex to pump and get a better sidechaining than a compressor would do.
Spectral Scan Software

Shokstar

04 Nov 2016

DexStar wrote:I totally disagree in getting a note lane automatically. Many of us would only use the rate knob and will not need this cluttering of the sequencer. If I create many "pumps" and connect them with a CV spider to chain all my synth separately this will fill my sequencer with empty lanes. If you need a lane right click "create note lane"... that's it!

What it meight need is an audio-in for audio triggering. So I could chain my original drums from dr. octo rex to pump and get a better sidechaining than a compressor would do.
Dr Octo Rex has a gate out and you can connect it directly to Pumps gate in.
Some time soon you like to use the pump as rhythmic gate effect and its the fastest way to Copy and paste your own midi drum loop of the song into Pumps note lane (for me) .

tobypearce

05 Nov 2016

What's cpu usage like?

I use sidechain a lot and cpu and whilst I love the idea of a dedicated device, it would have to be on a par with the m class compressor cpu-wise to afford the switch.

I'd be interested.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

riemac

05 Nov 2016

tobypearce wrote:What's cpu usage like?

I use sidechain a lot and cpu and whilst I love the idea of a dedicated device, it would have to be on a par with the m class compressor cpu-wise to afford the switch.

I'd be interested.
Cpu usage is very good, when you switch the display off. And what is the best, you can use only one pump for all channels in you project with the send mode!

Yonatan

05 Nov 2016

Tried it. Not my cup of cake but the design is great. Hoped it would be usefull for my experimental need but did not get any useful results.

Loque

05 Nov 2016

It looks nice, but what can this thing do what is not already possible in Reason?

Actually i see only 2 things, the Shrink knob and easy dial in. Do i miss something?

A Shuffle knob is missing on the device imo.
Reason12, Win10

Skullture

05 Nov 2016

Really liking this RE. Not sure if I need it, it more of a luxury item but not necessary for me right now. Great design tho.

satyr32

05 Nov 2016

I bought it and got great results out of it. Actually it is my favourite RE I bought this year altough you can achieve same results with existing devices but not that intuitive and fast.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

tobypearce

06 Nov 2016

Yes - I have it too now.

Loque - to your question. It may not do anything that you can't recreate elsewhere in Reason. (Isn't that so often the way with Reason?) However, for forms of dance music that make extensive use of sidechain, it's a great workflow to be able to throw this on the tracks you need it. I tuned the settings to just how I like them, to get the feeling I was after, then saved this as a preset. I have this as a shortcut in the browser, so getting the sidechain I'm after is now as easy as dragging that preset below the instrument.

This is so much easier than having to tab to the back of the m class compressor and hook it up to a ghost kick drum every time, and having so many wires all over the place!

I'm definitely sold on this device, although if you're making another type of music it might not be nearly so useful.

chrischrischris

07 Nov 2016

I was using The Synchronous Rack Extension but this does exactly the job I want and does it better IMO. I always felt that The Synchronous was a little bit excessive to be using for Sidechain alone.

Chris

miscend

07 Nov 2016

Trying this both with Trance Gate I think they excel at different areas. Trance Gate is at great doing trance gating effects much like Alligator. Whereas Shape Knob is good at faking kick side chain effect where you're creating space in the mix for your drums.

tobypearce

08 Nov 2016

Yes - I use it exclusively for that purpose. Probably for some people it might be an indulgence to have a tool just for this - but it's a splendid one and since I use sidechaining a fair amount, Pump makes for a really quick workflow.

michal22

08 Nov 2016

I'm sorry, but I do not like it.
I can not draw my own envelope. In addition, when moving the envelope it goes from the screen without looping on the other side.
I abstain from buying and wait for a better version.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

DexStar

12 Nov 2016

I wouldn't compare it to Trance Gate or Alligator. It's like comparing apples to pears....
Pump is a different approach of doing sidechain. And it does it's job excitingly well - far better than Synchronous or a "ghostkick-comp-combo".

It's my favorite RE this year. I never thought I was missing it but now it's the first RE I place after an instrument.
Spectral Scan Software

clone

13 Nov 2016

So this defeats the purpose of side chaining? Never really did get sjidechaining, because everyone has their own way of doing. Never took the time to learn it also.

tobypearce

13 Nov 2016

You're technically right.
I don't think it defeats the prisoner of sidechaining in most normal uses of it though. It's almost always used to duck against the 4 on the floor kick drum so that you can have a strong bass and kick without clashes, which is what pump achieves.

FGL

13 Nov 2016

This is a cool Device. Very different Effect, can't do what this does with other Effects. And I don't think that this is only for simple Ducking. The nice Trick in this is, that you can play with the Rate.
You can not do this with Synchronus or any other Device.
Music:
My Songs on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@FGLucas-wj1eg.
My Songs on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/frank-georg-lucas.

KirkMarkarian

21 Nov 2016

This Rack Extension really does an excellent job and saved me a TON of time. After having set up a typical ducking compressor for a track, I purchased Pump and was able to assign it to do a larger job quickly. With the ability to adjust the "tension" of the RE, I was able to have a great feel applied to my track. This RE is worth it!

chimp_spanner

22 Nov 2016

Just wanna join in and share some love for this RE - Kirk is right. Total time saver. Prior to this I was either having to rig my kick up using send FX and key'd compression (with unpredictable results based on the type of kick I was using) or I was using Pulveriser with lag on an upwards ramp or settings up curve triggers using CV and blah blah blah.

Now I can just drag it onto a bus. Boom. Done. Wonderful!

svenh

24 Nov 2016

Looks very nice, but maybe a little bit expensive for what it does... :roll:
Last edited by svenh on 24 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

• Information