Softube TSAR-1 Reverb V Propellerhead RV7000?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Faastwalker

09 Dec 2016

The Softube TSAR-1 Reverb is on sale at the moment, down to $119 from $199.

I've long been interested in the SofTube FX but obviously they are at the higher end of the RE market, which has usually put me off. But do you get what you pay for? Is the TSAR-1 the best reverb in the RE shop? How does it stack up against the humble, but clearly capable, built in RV7000 or other reverb devices available in the RE shop?

Loque

09 Dec 2016

TSR is a very clear sounding reverb with less tweaking possibilities. Its not so useful for fatten up sounds and no convolution. The sound quality is very good and clear. If its worth the price depends on your needs.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2016

I like it. I think it's one of the most beautiful sounding reverbs in the Shop. I find it works better on more "realistic" sounding instruments, but it can work on synthetic material too for sure.
It's not the best option for every sound though, but no reverb is. That's why at least for me it's good to have a couple of different reverbs to see what fits best for the paticular instrument or song I'm working with.

I don't really use RV7000 anymore since I find it a bit washy sounding. It's alright though. But I have other options now. I'm still on Reason 7 so I can't comment on the convolution version in R8 and R9.

miscend

09 Dec 2016

It's a good reverb but very CPU hungry so only useful as a send effect on the buss. I use RV7000 most of the time because it's CPU efficient. I think RV7000 can comfortably cover most bases for most people however Tsar has that extra 5% of polish for a higher price.

If you listen closely to reverb tails as they decay, Tsar sounds a lot richer and clearer. Tsar also sounds like it blends in and surrounds the source, whereas RV7000 tends to sit on top of the source.

Ottostrom

09 Dec 2016

I've used the TSAR-1 in every track I've made since i bought it. Really love it on piano and guitar but it has worked wonders for me on synths as well!

jayhosking

09 Dec 2016

For what it's worth, I found the smaller version (TSAR-1R) to have comparable sound quality and much quicker to reach the reverb sound I'm looking for. It's the same algorithm, I'm sure, and more tweaking options are nice of course, but if you're hesitant on the price of the TSAR-1, I'd recommend checking out the TSAR-1R. I'm definitely using it on nearly everything these days.

svenh

12 Dec 2016

The strength of both versions of TSAR is how easy it is to dial in the reverb character you need (in addition to sounding great of course :puf_bigsmile: ) !

doctecazoid

14 Dec 2016

The combination of Synapse Fat Space feeding into TSAR-1 is unbeatable IMHO.

sdst
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2016

2 RV7000 MkII in convolution mode with two real L R IR stereo ( Properly configured )

That is the best Reverb for me. :)

geronimo

14 Dec 2016

Given the many positive comments about TSAR-1, I bought it then I discovered the AD-480.
I no longer use the Reverb Softube alive on its legend, IHMO . :oops:

Gulale

14 Dec 2016

Damn PH. Why don't you allow as Re transfer? It would have been a good opportunity for me to sell it right now for 80 bucks.
Gulale aka Bereket

selig
RE Developer

14 Dec 2016

geronimo wrote:Given the many positive comments about TSAR-1, I bought it then I discovered the AD-480.
I no longer use the Reverb Softube alive on its legend, IHMO . :oops:
I was going to suggest trying the AD-480, as well as Fat Space (in addition to TSAR 1 or it's little brother). You should get a good idea what works for you in a few days of messing around with a few different reverbs IMO.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Karim
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2016

IMO I really like the Renoun Reverb.

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

alex

14 Dec 2016

lemec wrote:IMO I really like the Renoun Reverb.

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
I like it too, especially on piano and acoustic material in general, but it works nicely on synths also.
Highly underrated reverb imo and it's currently on sale for 15 bucks... :)

I also like the Synapse Deep Reverb DR-1 it is amazing!
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Gardinski

14 Dec 2016

Where TSAR-1 really comes into its own is on vocals. Due to it's clean, transparent nature, it's pretty much the only reverb I'll use on my voice. However, if you're not a vocalist, or you're looking for something more 'washy' or 'heavily effected' to use on synths/lead guitars etc, there are lots of other reverbs which will give you what you're looking for at a much lower price.

siln

14 Dec 2016

for my humble experience, i love tsar-1 reverb for its early reflection knob , put it at 100% or 98% and it gives this stereo field that beef up any sound , a bit like unison but better , and then u adjust the dry wet knob and it s magic , worked that intuitively for me, for the long tail reverb its very clean and very good in the high density/bright tone imo,so yes, now that i own a tsar 1 i use it on almost all my track , i even tend to use it too much ; i love the rob papen reverb for more creative/weird sounding reverb, i love the rv7000 for a simple hall/plate very subtle and im into discovering the impulse response like wonderful springs (!!) and also interesting to blend some percussions with samples of other percussions as ir and stuff like that, very creative, i will have to try the other reverb mentioned when i can ,

dvdrtldg

14 Dec 2016

TSAR for realistic
RV 7000 for subtle
Synapse DR1 for deep & lush
Fat Space, Renoun and RP Verb for weird

Uhbik A for gathering dust while U-He fail to fix the fucking bugs

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2016

dvdrtldg wrote: Uhbik A for gathering dust while U-He fail to fix the fucking bugs
I've seen so many comments about the bug in Uhbik A. The problem as I've experienced it is when you switch between different sample rates. But all you have to do to make it work properly is to switch the current reverb type to another one, and then back to where it's supposed to be. For me that has worked every time.

Is it a little annoying? Yes. Should it be fixed? Yes.
But I wouldn't stop using it just because it takes two seconds to reset it.
I sometimes get the impression that some people think the device doesn't work at all at certain sample rates, which is not true. Or am i missing something?

Despite this little bug I like Uhbik A I still think it's worth having. I've used it on many songs since I bought it. It's not the most beautiful sounding reverb, but it's one of the best when you want subtle reverb that doesn't take up space in the mix.

Anyway that's just my take on it. I can see why people are annoyed by developers not fixing bugs in their products and I wouldn't defend that behavior from developers myself. But for me Uhbik A is still worth using despite the bug.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 15 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

15 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote: Uhbik A for gathering dust while U-He fail to fix the fucking bugs
I've seen so many comments about the bug in Uhbik A. The problem as I've experienced it is when you switch between different sample rates. But all you have to do to make it work properly is to switch the current reverb type to another one, and then back to where it's supposed to be. For me that has worked every time.

I sometimes get the impression that some people think the device doesn't work at all at certain sample rates, which is not true. Or am i missing something?

Despite this little bug I like Uhbik A and still think it's worth having. I've used it on many songs since I bought it. It's not the most beautiful sounding reverb, but it's one of the best when you want subtle reverb that doesn't take up space in the mix.

Anyway that's just my take on it. I can see why people are annoyed by developers not fixing bugs in their products and I wouldn't defend that behavior from developers myself. But for me Uhbik A is still worth using despite the bug.
Bugs keeping you from working is not acceptable IMO. I use Reason to get rid of this VST horror and i dont accept bugs in software. I dont buy any more RE from a developer until "old" bugs are fixed. The same goes for every other software, if it has bug -> uninstall and i never come back again until the quality increased. Well, maybe except of my OS - i dont have a choice.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2016

Loque wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:

Despite this little bug I like Uhbik A and still think it's worth having. I've used it on many songs since I bought it. It's not the most beautiful sounding reverb, but it's one of the best when you want subtle reverb that doesn't take up space in the mix.

Bugs keeping you from working is not acceptable IMO. I use Reason to get rid of this VST horror and i dont accept bugs in software. I dont buy any more RE from a developer until "old" bugs are fixed. The same goes for every other software, if it has bug -> uninstall and i never come back again until the quality increased. Well, maybe except of my OS - i dont have a choice.
Yeah I completely understand. To me it's acceptable if it's a new product with some bugs. Most developers tend to sort those out pretty fast when they're reported. But if it's an old product and the bugs has been reported several times without any fixes there's no excuse really.

But again, it takes two seconds to solve the problem, maybe three seconds if you include scrolling the rack. I can live with that for a good reverb :)

Loque

15 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
Loque wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:

Yeah I completely understand. To me it's acceptable if it's a new product with some bugs. Most developers tend to sort those out pretty fast when they're reported. But if it's an old product and the bugs has been reported several times without any fixes there's no excuse really.

But again, it takes two seconds to solve the problem, maybe three seconds if you include scrolling the rack. I can live with that for a good reverb :)
If you have several reverbs somewhere hidden in Combinators, it may take a bit longer :roll:
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2016

Loque wrote: If you have several reverbs somewhere hidden in Combinators, it may take a bit longer :roll:
Fair enough

• Information