Dyingstar is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

28 Feb 2017

We cant talk and name any trademarks, but can talk about what name is mean?
Stars are being born and stars are dying.
If a star is heavy enough, it will explode in a supernova. [NASA]
We not copy or emulate bluerack that already named in topic, we use this hardware rack (version II) at stage of creating wavetables (as you can know this bluebox synth has in three osc - only three waveforms, but have very deep modulations). Its very powerful legend synth that can be named as "bentley" in car-world for his functionality, but we used it as source for creating our-own WT manually. Its not copy, not emulation. Its new powerful-sound instrument for Reason Rack.
The main idea was creations of the instrument for pads, but at one moment we think "why not for other sounds?". With DyingStar architecture in some places functionality is more interesting than in hardware, in other places - not have deep modulations that have original HRDW synth. You must understand that DyingStar is a new synth with spirit of this bluebox rack hardware synth, DyingStar not emulate anything, not try to copy, but created with love to synth from past about what we talk there.

At current v. 1.0 you can find 180+ patches (we need time to make more). Its not limit, because base 3 Osc contain 170 WT each, there 3 Osc and 1 Sub-Osc (40WT). You can manipulate wavetables by waveform range fader. Its help to change structure of sound with many variations. Add various modulations and other elements, you listen own DyingStar sound-character.
Some people ask us, why do you use one type of filter or other elements and not use another or universal types of filter and elements? We try to create character of synth that you can like (or may be not). Its not Blackpole v2, as some people think, its different machines with different architecture and sound.
How to named it? Synth, Rompler or anything more.. it isn't important.

Design in music-creating not must be at 1st place, sound must be at 1st place.
Our design may be not really cool, but we not search design-awards, we make device for work with it as musicians in our needs.
And cool if You find this device interesting too, we ready to listen any ideas and try to do anything more for our devices.

As example, at this moment we think to change size of faders in Amp/Filt ENV for better work, now faders have small size as idea of minimize GUI space, but rethink about it to better work on display with mouse. Working process must to be more important than GUI look. We also have more other ideas.
We already rebuild all 180+ patches because some of them in v 1.0.0 has clipping in sound, fix it. In this days please re-download RE with this bugfix in v 1.0.1.
Also in this 1-2 weeks we make some additions.

We also like fresh and cool synth designs, but much more like real hardware interfaces. Try to create new GUI with this quantity of elements that we use in instrument, its not easy, with better pro-look its need x2 bigger panel in Reason Rack. Yes, we can delete section of effects, and have more GUI space, create more professional design of GUI, but synth without effects lost something of spirit that we need to show. We also not agree that device in Reason rack must be bigger than 7U-8U, because on laptops devices more than 8U have view only part of device panel. In Reason window when you work in rack - view only part of one device - is very bad and not comfort. Good if you have 4k display and view anything as 10U in rack with comfort, but try to use this RE rack-sizes on the 15" laptops, 13".. its can be pain!

Any pro-design of synth in soft or hardware can be better in opinion of musicians, what excellent he wouldn't be. But musicians like synths not for design. in other way - its not music, its design-fetish. Yes, all we like better in our life. We understand needs of PRO-standart. But remember, any pro-part need resources. We can add to price work of GUI-designers, but there no guaranty that design be as candy for any user. But work of designers add size of price.
We small company and prefer price-orientation. And try to move in small command. May be we listen any messages about design and in future try to change GUI cretaion and design to more pro-level.
We agree, any devices need professional design. Just look on this legend blue-rack and say true, how much you like this design? It very oldskool and not-originaly, but people remember it for his sound, and there design on 3-rd place...

But thanks for ANY critic, we need it to understand problems, resolve it and not repeat them in future.

Please write to us or this topic your ideas.

Majestik Monkey

28 Feb 2017

@ T2on , Thanks for the break down of your thoughts & concepts of the Synth ! :thumbs_up:

In regards to DyingStar , I very much like its Boldness to create Huge sounds , & they are certainly in there in DyingStar !
but I must say at the cost of High CPU !? which maybe something you can address , as you did with Blackpole ;)

The Gui IMO also needs to be Tweaked some of the white small text is difficult to read , I am sure other users will be
more specific , on text size & or colour ? I do like the GUI in general ..........Blue Boxy :puf_bigsmile:

Never the less ' my opinion is , You have Created a "MEAN-MOTHERF*CKER" OF A SYNTH :

PS , DYINGSTAR REALLY NEEDS , A MONO SWITCH , LIKE SOME OF ITS "IDT" BROTHER'S ! :thumbs_up:

As it stands I am happy to buy Dyingstar ' because I know you will listen to your Buyer's .....

1 Question, will you Update the Synth , with extra Sound banks or waves as you did with Blackpole ????? Cheer's MM

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2017

selig wrote:
MirEko wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:Most of the patches are way too hot and there are quite a few that clip as well....

Also I thought there would have been more presets, at least the same amount as there are wavetables as what this means to me is there are wavetables included that are not worth making sounds from...

Pads are nice...
Haha the hyperbole... what a load of shite
Not sure you're saying someone else's comments are a load a shite, or your own. Either way, please don't stink up the topic by dumping a load of shite and walking away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I took it that he was agreeing with the statement of "Also I thought there would have been more presets, at least the same amount as there are wavetables ", their write up does not deliver in patch numbers from my point of view...

They have made a statement that they have sorted out the levels (maybe only the clipped ones, can't really comment until I see the new release) of the patches and that there will be some more additions which is great thing that they are listening to the comments being made...

turn2on
RE Developer

28 Feb 2017

Majestik Monkey wrote:cost of High CPU !? which maybe something you can address , as you did with Blackpole ;)
CPU eaters known, its SPACES effects with long decay and mix level using, also using everywhere HIGH Sound Quality. You can have small-cpu economy if use -6.0 default levels of Mix on channels. There more micro CPU-using things, for understand it you can build as in Clavia Nord Modular demo software synth from many modules and see how much any manipulation eat CPU. There - all tendentions in general way repeated. Need low DSP-meter loading? try to use minimum effects with delay/reverbs as example. Also need to use minimum, 4 better 8 Gb RAM, free space on disk for virtual cache by desktop OS. I can said that Blackpole needs more resources of CPU and RAM than DyingStar because we something change architecture of device. Now using more micro-cycle looped waves, OSCs using same wave files, in Blackpole used independence copies of files, that make high-CPU needs in Blackpole. You can try and test Blackpole and Dyingstar, view how much Dyingstar lower eat CPU in patch variations.
May be we need to write more and deeper about CPU economy solutions in future in manual or articles.
Majestik Monkey wrote: The Gui IMO also needs to be Tweaked some of the white small text is difficult to read , I am sure other users will be
more specific , on text size & or colour ? I do like the GUI in general ..........Blue Boxy :puf_bigsmile:
What text need in better read? Need concrete text places know to change (Limiter and CmbFilter OscLinks? Or another text?).
Majestik Monkey wrote: REALLY NEEDS , A MONO SWITCH , LIKE SOME OF ITS "IDT" BROTHER'S ! :thumbs_up:
Mono = set "Voices" to 1-8.
We also can add button as mono-switch, but in various situations, set 1-2-4-6-8 voices for Mono better than we set voices as 1 or 4.. But if its really need we can add it, good to know what effect better to voices quantity (1?). You can test in variations and understand that sometime use 4 voices for MONO effect better than 1 voice.. So, we can add this.
Majestik Monkey wrote: 1 Question, will you Update the Synth , with extra Sound banks or waves as you did with Blackpole ????? Cheer's MM
Yes, we have plans to add something more later. Dont know at this moment how - as additions WT in each OSC (as now section of LEAD), or may be using ROMs as it work in Blackpole (in this variant selection of ROMs when you change presets in browser need more time to loading ROM). Work on it later
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:there would have been more presets, at least the same amount as there are wavetables as what this means to me is there are wavetables included that are not worth making sounds from...
Its question of time. Quantity of patches can be much more than quantity of WT of course :puf_smile:
3 Osc with 170WT + 1 SubOsc with 40WT.. its more than 180+ patches in v.1.0.0. But its not must said to you that is in OSC we include unusually sounds.
We add more patches anyway in future releases (current 1.0.1 only fix clipping problems).

Majestik Monkey

28 Feb 2017

Perhaps just a few tones up with the White/grey scale will make them much easier to read for me personally , i think the Text size is fine! its the white/grey over black which is slightly Blurry/vague for me to see clearly !

The mono switch is still important ' Like a Summed Mono , 8 Voices synced to 1 voice , so to speak ;)

CPU wise I have already worked out how to be sparing ' to save CPU , & still make it sound Huge .... :puf_bigsmile:

Thanks for replying .
Attachments
DyingStar.png
DyingStar.png (757.1 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2017

I just tried going to your site Turn2on and it locked up my browser with a malware script claiming to be both Microsoft & Google, attempting to get me to reveal info and no doubt my credit card : RANSOMWARE!

Might need to have a look into that one.

Otherwise, I would be willing to make patches for you if you want some external input.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Majestik Monkey

28 Feb 2017

Using 2 versions of DyingStar

Ps Benidict's warning is True , same thing happen's on my system too ' VIRUS NOTIVICATION ???

siln

28 Feb 2017

turn2on wrote:We cant talk and name any trademarks, but can talk about what name is mean?
Stars are being born and stars are dying.
If a star is heavy enough, it will explode in a supernova. [NASA]
We not copy or emulate bluerack that already named in topic, we use this hardware rack (version II) at stage of creating wavetables (as you can know this bluebox synth has in three osc - only three waveforms, but have very deep modulations). Its very powerful legend synth that can be named as "bentley" in car-world for his functionality, but we used it as source for creating our-own WT manually. Its not copy, not emulation. Its new powerful-sound instrument for Reason Rack.
The main idea was creations of the instrument for pads, but at one moment we think "why not for other sounds?". With DyingStar architecture in some places functionality is more interesting than in hardware, in other places - not have deep modulations that have original HRDW synth. You must understand that DyingStar is a new synth with spirit of this bluebox rack hardware synth, DyingStar not emulate anything, not try to copy, but created with love to synth from past about what we talk there.

At current v. 1.0 you can find 180+ patches (we need time to make more). Its not limit, because base 3 Osc contain 170 WT each, there 3 Osc and 1 Sub-Osc (40WT). You can manipulate wavetables by waveform range fader. Its help to change structure of sound with many variations. Add various modulations and other elements, you listen own DyingStar sound-character.
Some people ask us, why do you use one type of filter or other elements and not use another or universal types of filter and elements? We try to create character of synth that you can like (or may be not). Its not Blackpole v2, as some people think, its different machines with different architecture and sound.
How to named it? Synth, Rompler or anything more.. it isn't important.

Design in music-creating not must be at 1st place, sound must be at 1st place.
Our design may be not really cool, but we not search design-awards, we make device for work with it as musicians in our needs.
And cool if You find this device interesting too, we ready to listen any ideas and try to do anything more for our devices.

As example, at this moment we think to change size of faders in Amp/Filt ENV for better work, now faders have small size as idea of minimize GUI space, but rethink about it to better work on display with mouse. Working process must to be more important than GUI look. We also have more other ideas.
We already rebuild all 180+ patches because some of them in v 1.0.0 has clipping in sound, fix it. In this days please re-download RE with this bugfix in v 1.0.1.
Also in this 1-2 weeks we make some additions.

We also like fresh and cool synth designs, but much more like real hardware interfaces. Try to create new GUI with this quantity of elements that we use in instrument, its not easy, with better pro-look its need x2 bigger panel in Reason Rack. Yes, we can delete section of effects, and have more GUI space, create more professional design of GUI, but synth without effects lost something of spirit that we need to show. We also not agree that device in Reason rack must be bigger than 7U-8U, because on laptops devices more than 8U have view only part of device panel. In Reason window when you work in rack - view only part of one device - is very bad and not comfort. Good if you have 4k display and view anything as 10U in rack with comfort, but try to use this RE rack-sizes on the 15" laptops, 13".. its can be pain!

Any pro-design of synth in soft or hardware can be better in opinion of musicians, what excellent he wouldn't be. But musicians like synths not for design. in other way - its not music, its design-fetish. Yes, all we like better in our life. We understand needs of PRO-standart. But remember, any pro-part need resources. We can add to price work of GUI-designers, but there no guaranty that design be as candy for any user. But work of designers add size of price.
We small company and prefer price-orientation. And try to move in small command. May be we listen any messages about design and in future try to change GUI cretaion and design to more pro-level.
We agree, any devices need professional design. Just look on this legend blue-rack and say true, how much you like this design? It very oldskool and not-originaly, but people remember it for his sound, and there design on 3-rd place...

But thanks for ANY critic, we need it to understand problems, resolve it and not repeat them in future.

Please write to us or this topic your ideas.
Business is open, will try the synth ASAP

WongoTheSane

28 Feb 2017

turn2on wrote:We already rebuild all 180+ patches because some of them in v 1.0.0 has clipping in sound, fix it. In this days please re-download RE with this bugfix in v 1.0.1.
Propellerhead has set a standard for this:

- All mono patches should peak at -12dB when playing a note at full velocity
- All poly patches should peak at -12db when playing 4 notes at full velocity

Most Refill makers and RE devs have adopted this format. It's very convenient because you can try several patches one after another without ever needing to adjust the volume. You can either use Selig Gain which has a convenient Peak Hold numeric display, or simply do it visually with the Big Meter.

Optionally, it's also a good idea to have the Mod Wheel do something on all patches (except for some FXs or percs).

As an aside, do you need someone to help you with the Shop page? There are several grammar errors which can be fixed in a couple of minutes, and I'm pretty sure a number of us wouldn't mind helping you with this.

Very interesting synth in any case, great work guys!

turn2on
RE Developer

01 Mar 2017

Benedict wrote:I just tried going to your site Turn2on and it locked up my browser with a malware script claiming.
Otherwise, I would be willing to make patches for you if you want some external input.
Hi, thanks! We cleanup mailware already

And yes, you can make any patches, we can inclde them in RE. Anybody can make patches and we include them with big thanks! If there more than 2-5 patches, we create signature folder in RE with your patches, if only few patches - they have in patchname your signature..

repatches, combi-patches for DyingStar you can send to supp.turn2on@gmail.com

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
WongoTheSane wrote: Propellerhead has set a standard for this:
- All mono patches should peak at -12dB when playing a note at full velocity
- All poly patches should peak at -12db when playing 4 notes at full velocity
Yes, its nice info. We fix already cretaed 180+ patches around peaks of thor presets. Problem in clipped patches in create them in Reason in project where by default tirned on Kratos 2. With active Kratos not view this problem. Patches rebiulded without it. In future we must use this PH standard.
WongoTheSane wrote: Optionally, it's also a good idea to have the Mod Wheel do something on all patches (except for some FXs or percs).
Part of paches have ModWheel activity, part of them - no. There users can manipulate by filter Freq/Reso ENVs in oscs, and set level of amount to ModWheel. But yes, better if patches not static. Its true.
WongoTheSane wrote: As an aside, do you need someone to help you with the Shop page? There are several grammar errors which can be fixed in a couple of minutes
If anybody help to us find grammar errors and send it to us on supp.turn2on@gmail.com, its been very cool.
Majestik Monkey wrote:Perhaps just a few tones up with the White/grey scale will make them much easier to read for me personally
We try to test it - add more white tones and its really better read style. Try to use it in next release.
Majestik Monkey wrote:The mono switch is still important ' Like a Summed Mono , 8 Voices synced to 1 voice , so to speak ;)
Try use 4 voices, there must used only 1 voice per OSC. In sum - you listen all osc as mono-voice. If it what you need, we can make MONO button on panel for fast swith to 4 voices. If you talk about voices..
May be you give us link to any RE where this mono switch used, for better understand this function.

pothole

01 Mar 2017

Majestik Monkey wrote:
pothole wrote:anybody know the install size?

(wish the size was shown in the shop)

144 Megs , there about !

Majestik Monkey

01 Mar 2017

pothole wrote:
Majestik Monkey wrote:
pothole wrote:anybody know the install size?

(wish the size was shown in the shop)

255Megs , there about !

Amended ' its actually Bigger than I thought , 255 Megs :o

Majestik Monkey

01 Mar 2017

@Turn2on

A Mono switch would be cool ' For when creating a Patch ' from init too starting from Osc1 , 2 , 3 , SuB !
I do realise that DyingStar is still Mono ' with 7 voices selected , but the switch will just override that & sum to 4 voices .... :thumbs_up:

sumusik

02 Mar 2017

As a proud former owner of a Supernova, this synth interests me. Will check it out. But I have to say the customer engagement in this thread by the developer(s) is really top notch. :thumbs_up: Cheers!

dstudiopro

02 Mar 2017

Hello!As the happy user of 3 turn2on synths (meteora, dying star and blackpole) I have a sugestion.I think it would be very cool to include percussive sounds as wavetables too, like cowbells, congas, triangles, timpani and other types. It opens up some nice plucked type of layered sound posibilities with its 3 oscilators.Anywayz, thank you for the nice affordable synths, back in the dayz, a dying star level of hardware synth would cost an arm and a leg.

MDTerps2015

02 Mar 2017

Benedict wrote:I just tried going to your site Turn2on and it locked up my browser with a malware script claiming to be both Microsoft & Google, attempting to get me to reveal info and no doubt my credit card : RANSOMWARE!

Might need to have a look into that one.

I don't think I have laughed so hard at that one Benedict, lmao. I really wasn't expecting that. Sure you didn't push "BUY".
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

turn2on
RE Developer

03 Mar 2017

v. 1.0.1 released:
- fix clipped patches

PropShop Link to v.1.0.1. DyingStar

sumusik wrote:As a proud former owner of a Supernova, this synth interests me. Will check it out. But I have to say the customer engagement in this thread by the developer(s) is really top notch. :thumbs_up: Cheers!
But its not emulation, we only use SN as source to create WT.
Majestik Monkey wrote:switch will just override that & sum to 4 voices .... :thumbs_up:
we already create this button in current build that we work, add this in near update (switch to 4 voices as MONO for every Osc, because if set voices from 5 to 8 voices you can listen voices twice)

Majestik Monkey

07 Mar 2017

@Turn2on . . . . . . POST FILTER ;) :ugeek:

turn2on
RE Developer

08 Mar 2017

Hi, we already add post filter (multimode) in current demo build that tested now and in few days come to propshop :puf_smile:
also some minor GUI changes

Majestik Monkey

08 Mar 2017

turn2on wrote:Hi, we already add post filter (multimode) in current demo build that tested now and in few days come to propshop :puf_smile:
also some minor GUI changes

Благодарим вас за большой синтезатор dyingstar :thumbs_up:

turn2on
RE Developer

15 Mar 2017

Hi, version 1.1 released in PropShop.

Update now in PropShop
New v. 1.1 DyingStar Rack Extension contain:
– Mono Voices button (every OSC – 1 voice, all OSC summed)
– Re-Designed GUI: ModEnv / LFO / Modulations / & Pan/Dist sections
– now 200 native patches,
– add 91 signature patches by HYDLIDE(many thanks!).
– add 2 PostFilters (multimode)

Now work under coming soon v.1.1.1

Majestik Monkey

15 Mar 2017

Thanks very much for the Update Mono, Post filter , GUI , & new Patches / Hydlide :thumbs_up:

Great Update Turn2on , Dyingstar looks very cool & Sounds Fukin excellent :puf_bigsmile:

Gorgon

15 Mar 2017

Oh wow, just another 3 oscillator synth! Awesome. Hardly any connections on the back, but 91 patches by Hydlide! I am so overwhelmed. I need a minute to catch my breath.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

turn2on
RE Developer

16 Mar 2017

Hi, Gordon. As I think, you really not test this device. In other way you must know at min - Its not 3-osc, its 3+sub-osc device. So, nice sound of any device not in osc-quantity, and also not in CV/Audio ins/outs. Yes, its IDT, and its true about non-CV at rear panel, but device have small modulation elements in various sections, that really help make more when create patch and not to run any other devices. Anyway, there some IDT limits and if you talk about any devices that they not include CV in/outs for modulations, know, that you also can make more with device elements routings into Combinator programmer ;-) If you have time, just try to listen how it can sound from rack, recense any device by picture or text fragments - really isn't serious at all. We glad to see your real critic. :thumbs_up:

Gorgon

16 Mar 2017

turn2on wrote:Hi, Gordon. As I think, you really not test this device. In other way you must know at min - Its not 3-osc, its 3+sub-osc device. So, nice sound of any device not in osc-quantity, and also not in CV/Audio ins/outs. Yes, its IDT, and its true about non-CV at rear panel, but device have small modulation elements in various sections, that really help make more when create patch and not to run any other devices. Anyway, there some IDT limits and if you talk about any devices that they not include CV in/outs for modulations, know, that you also can make more with device elements routings into Combinator programmer ;-) If you have time, just try to listen how it can sound from rack, recense any device by picture or text fragments - really isn't serious at all. We glad to see your real critic. :thumbs_up:
Fair enough, I'll check it out over the weekend. :thumbs_up:
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information