Does the free Wbl3001 Dispositif Pour Contact Premier RE only work in a combinator?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mreese80

08 Mar 2017

I don't this but i just want to see how the colors light up. The only it seems to works is in a combinator. I've seen on youtube where they are stacked on top of each other. I can't get this damn thing to run unless it's in a damn combinator.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Olivier

08 Mar 2017

just sent note data into it, either via a keyboard controller or a note clip..
wbl3001.gif
wbl3001.gif (169.81 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

Olivier wrote:just sent note data into it, either via a keyboard controller or a note clip..

wbl3001.gif
What do you mean? The only way it worked for me was inside a combinator.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Olivier

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
Olivier wrote:just sent note data into it, either via a keyboard controller or a note clip..

wbl3001.gif
My aim was to give a demonstration of it working whilst not being in a combinator and explain how i did that :)

Else i'm not sure what your question is and or how to help.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

Olivier wrote:
mreese80 wrote:

wbl3001.gif
My aim was to give a demonstration of it working whilst not being in a combinator and explain how i did that :)

Else i'm not sure what your question is and or how to help.

That's what i'm trying to figure out to how without using a combinator. I must've missed something.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

08 Mar 2017

Right click the device 'create track for Wbl3001' and then use your MIDI / sequencer lane to pug in notes

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2017

There are a number of ways to get the device to light up, it requires input from either Midi, Audio or CV.

You also have to make sure you select the correct switch settings at the of the device for the input...
Setup_Blue (Large).jpg
Setup_Blue (Large).jpg (605.98 KiB) Viewed 2354 times

joeyluck

08 Mar 2017

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:Right click the device 'create track for Wbl3001' and then use your MIDI / sequencer lane to pug in notes
It's an "instrument" though that has a track created when it itself is created. Works right out of the box. So not sure what the problem is here...

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

08 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:It's an "instrument" though that has a track created when it itself is created. Works right out of the box. So not sure what the problem is here...
Fair enough, not used it so thought it was a 'non-lane-creating' utility....

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
LABONERECORDINGS wrote:Right click the device 'create track for Wbl3001' and then use your MIDI / sequencer lane to pug in notes
It's an "instrument" though that has a track created when it itself is created. Works right out of the box. So not sure what the problem is here...
ok. apparently this isn't what i'm thinking it is. if i put it inside a commentor with an instrument like a thor or wutever, it lights. I thought this is how it worked. If i put it under a instrument and play that instrument it does nothing. I'm just gonna leave it alone unless i throw it in a combinator man because i'm having no luck otherwise. Maybe i'm dumb. :(

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
joeyluck wrote:It's an "instrument" though that has a track created when it itself is created. Works right out of the box. So not sure what the problem is here...
I don't get it. Only way it work's for me the way i'm thinking it's supposed to inside of a combinator

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
I don't get it. Only way it work's for me the way i'm thinking it's supposed to inside of a combinator
Read what people are telling you, you have to use either Midi, Audio or CV, if you using Audio or CV you have to hit the tab key and wire it up and set the correct switches, this is such a basic device.

If you add it after an instrument lets say a Thor, flip the rack, take one of the audio outs of Thor and route it to the Audio in, then take the Audio Thru and patch that back to audio out (where Thor was patched to), by default all the switches are down for CV, flip the last switch up and then play the Thor and the lights will light up....

I think the big mistake you are making is this is an instrument so dropping it below another instrument does not automatically wire it up.. As default with a combinator the Midi in is past on to all instruments inside that combinator hence why you see it working in a combinator.

lowpryo

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
ok. apparently this isn't what i'm thinking it is. if i put it inside a commentor with an instrument like a thor or wutever, it lights. I thought this is how it worked. If i put it under a instrument and play that instrument it does nothing. I'm just gonna leave it alone unless i throw it in a combinator man because i'm having no luck otherwise. Maybe i'm dumb. :(
if you want to use it with Thor, you'll have to send Gate and Note info out of Thor (through the mod matrix CV outs) and into the Wbl3001. otherwise the Wbl3001 isn't receiving anything while you play Thor. but honestly, for this kind of situation, combinators actually are the better way to go when you want multiple devices to receive the same MIDI info simultaneously.

joeyluck

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
If you can create any other instrument in the Reason rack, let's say a Subtractor,
and play notes on your keyboard and you successfully hear sound...
Then if you create a WBL3001 the exact same way and play notes on your keyboard, you will see lights.

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you are experiencing :?

joeyluck

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Oh sorry, I missed this. So it's an instrument. Just like if you were to place a Subtractor under a Thor in the Rack, you won't control both with MIDI focus of the Master Keyboard. If you want to play the WBL3001 with other instruments, it will be via Combinator or CV. Or like many of the videos and images you see, separate note lanes in the Sequencer that are playing the WBL3001; just as you would play multiple instruments in a song. Or you can use Advanced MIDI

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Oh sorry, I missed this. So it's an instrument. Just like if you were to place a Subtractor under a Thor in the Rack, you won't control both with MIDI focus of the Master Keyboard. If you want to play the WBL3001 with other instruments, it will be via Combinator or CV. Or like many of the videos and images you see, separate note lanes in the Sequencer that are playing the WBL3001; just as you would play multiple instruments in a song. Or you can use Advanced MIDI
I give up man. I'll just use it in a combinator if i want to see the lights. I can't get it going otherwise and i'm not going waste anymore of my time or you guy's on this rainbow bright device. I'm going to delete this entire thread. Guess I'm dumb.

ScuzzyEye

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:I give up man. I'll just use it in a combinator if i want to see the lights. ... I'm going to delete this entire thread.
Before you do that, when you do get it to show lights play and hold the second lowest MIDI note into it (scroll to the bottom of the sequencer and click the key 1 up from the bottom).

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

ScuzzyEye wrote:
mreese80 wrote:I give up man. I'll just use it in a combinator if i want to see the lights. ... I'm going to delete this entire thread.
Before you do that, when you do get it to show lights play and hold the second lowest MIDI note into it (scroll to the bottom of the sequencer and click the key 1 up from the bottom).

I'm clueless on this device and i've lost all patience. Thanks for your help but i'm dumb founded with this device. There are youtube comments where people say they can't get it to work. Those who do just say drag it into a combinaor.

joeyluck

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:

I'm clueless on this device and i've lost all patience. Thanks for your help but i'm dumb founded with this device. There are youtube comments where people say they can't get it to work. Those who do just say drag it into a combinaor.
Drag it into the Rack by itself and play it like an instrument. Just do it ;)

I'm not sure what you think it's supposed to do differently? I haven't heard of anybody having trouble with it

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2017

lowpryo wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
if you want to use it with Thor, you'll have to send Gate and Note info out of Thor (through the mod matrix CV outs) and into the Wbl3001. otherwise the Wbl3001 isn't receiving anything while you play Thor. but honestly, for this kind of situation, combinators actually are the better way to go when you want multiple devices to receive the same MIDI info simultaneously.
This is not the only way as per my post above you can route audio from Thor (Thor's output) into the wbl3001 and then route the Thru back to the mixer input..

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2017

ScuzzyEye wrote:
Pretty LOL :D

joeyluck

08 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
lowpryo wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
This is not the only way as per my post above you can route audio from Thor (Thor's output) into the wbl3001 and then route the Thru back to the mixer input..
Of course. I'm just trying to help him wrap his head around the basic function first (as an instrument). And clear up the misconception that this is controlled by an instrument that is touches in the rack. I think once that's first cleared up, then we move forward :puf_smile:

mreese80, I replied to your PM ;)

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
lowpryo wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Of course. I'm just trying to help him wrap his head around the basic function first (as an instrument). And clear up the misconception that this is controlled by an instrument that is touches in the rack. I think once that's first cleared up, then we move forward :puf_smile:

Lmao. Thank you Joey. ONce again you have brought me to the light. The way i thought it worked it didn't. I knew you would help me see. Everybody who chimed in was right but my thinking about this was so so wrong.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
lowpryo wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

Lmao. Thank you Joey. ONce again you have brought me to the light. The way i thought it worked it didn't. I knew you would help me see. Everybody who chimed in was right but my thinking about this was so so wrong.
It's like anything, once you know it's straight forward.. If you look carefully you can see I have daisy chained a couple together and also taken a feed from the control room out.. Of course I'm using audio to drive the wbl3001
wbl3001.jpg
wbl3001.jpg (941.54 KiB) Viewed 2214 times

househoppin09

15 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:It's like anything, once you know it's straight forward.. If you look carefully you can see I have daisy chained a couple together and also taken a feed from the control room out.. Of course I'm using audio to drive the wbl3001

wbl3001.jpg
That's a pretty incredible screenshot! Are you running Win10 at 3840x2160 and regular 100% scaling? How big is your monitor?

• Information