ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

02 Jun 2015

inmatus wrote:In some cases the modwheel act as volume inc/dec

I have Euphonic and some other sample libraries but this one sounds better than anything I have (dont have Miroslaw)
Sam is not just sounding very well but sit in the mix like perfect

I have tons of REs/refills I rarely use. 149$ is not little but since I think it has the best orch sounds I heard sofar I rather spend 149 on this one instead of 49, 49 and 49 one three rather good
For me -its a buy
Why not at least listen to Miroslav before making a final decision? I think the detail and depth of the Miroslav ReFill may surprise/impress you, if orchestral samples are necessary for your work in Reason. Solo strings included!!! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2015

selig wrote:Why not at least listen to Miroslav before making a final decision? I think the detail and depth of the Miroslav ReFill may surprise/impress you, if orchestral samples are necessary for your work in Reason. Solo strings included!!! ;)
I think Project SAM may just have a sound that is more "in" at the moment. Miroslav is a little 1993, which isn't bad per se, it's just not what all the kids are buying at the moment ;)

Now I'm being tongue in cheek of course, but I think it all just comes down to that sound preference. A lot of people are really familiar with the Project SAM sound.

joeyluck

02 Jun 2015

ProjectSAM confirmed that the mod wheel works with tremolo strings. I think that is all. I reported everything else. Will let you know what I hear back :)

inmatus

02 Jun 2015

I have Euphonic and some other sample libraries but this one sounds better than anything I have (dont have Miroslaw)

I have tons of REs/refills I rarely use. 149$ is not little but since I think it has the best orch sounds I heard sofar I rather spend 149 on this one instead of 49, 49 and 49 one three rather good
For me -its a buy
selig wrote:
Why not at least listen to Miroslav before making a final decision? I think the detail and depth of the Miroslav ReFill may surprise/impress you, if orchestral samples are necessary for your work in Reason. Solo strings included!!! ;)
Answer is simple.. I can try the RE and not the refill and it proved to sound like I want. Perfect for me for background orch sounds to spice up the electro rock now and then
To pay 149$ for a refill without trying it.. nah

joeyluck

02 Jun 2015

I consider this RE as a great quality ID8-style concept for orchestration. It really is an 'orchestral sampler' in the sense of buying a sampler of candies from an exceptional chocolate maker. You get one flavor of some basic elements. Not much in the way of depth/control, but a great building block (which can certainly get by on it's own).

Miroslav has more depth, variety, and flexibility. And it certainly is also high quality.
One of my favorite Miroslav patches is "Hero Has Fallen."

I think there is room to have both :)

joeyluck

02 Jun 2015

For me -its a buy
selig wrote:
inmatus wrote:
Answer is simple.. I can try the RE and not the refill and it proved to sound like I want. Perfect for me for background orch sounds to spice up the electro rock now and then
To pay 149$ for a refill without trying it.. nah
I agree with you here. One reason I like the concept of sample-based REs is so that I can try before I buy. I even have mentioned that I have never felt confident about buying a sample-based ReFill.

That being said, Miroslav is tried and true by the Reason community. There is a great amount of high quality content in those ReFills. And again, there's always room for more! :)

inmatus

02 Jun 2015

For sure there are :)

Theo.M

02 Jun 2015

Just wanted to make a quick mention about the price.. i think many of us (myself included when I first posted in this topic) when looking at the $149 price, are forgetting that really for project Sam it's only $74,50 which means it's less than their comparable $99 libraries. They probably did their best to strike a balance where they offset the loss with the user on an equal basis, due to propellerheads' extravagant IDT commission rates.

Since this is usually $99 in other formats, if it was set at $99 they would only get $49.50 which is really not fair to them either and they would probably feel a bit hard done by for all their hard work.  

So i actually sympathise with them on this..

What remains to be seen, is how attentive they are in fixing any issues.. now if they nail that one, and build customer RE confidence, hopefully they will sell enough to deliver more libraries in the future!

Also they are not adverse to a sale now and then with other formats,  and have probably reserved the $99 "lowest they can go" price for that. I bet we will see that happen before year's end.

I think we have to be prepared due to the hefty commissions, that we will be paying more for IDT formats than any other sample format. Either that or the dev has to wear it. They have struck a fair balance here IMO (ok perhaps $125 would have been spot on, no special sales, food for thought hey?)

What i am disappointed in so far is the lack of control with the product unless I am missing something. Before i make a final judgement thought i really have to sit in front of my big midi keyboard and play for a few hours, so have to wait till back permits to do that. What i am seeing from using it on the laptop is a very simplified strings rompler, that happens to sound good. But I have to wonder.. getting miroslav for free, and euphonic for $49 on sale.. what can this give me on top?

joeyluck

02 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:But I have to wonder.. getting miroslav for free, and euphonic for $49 on sale.. what can this give me on top?
As I mentioned above, I would say it's another piece to the puzzle for some of us.

With the lack of control, again I would consider it an ID8-style device for great sounding orchestral elements. A great building block, but also able to stand on it's own.

joeyluck

03 Jun 2015

Great news :)

"Dear Joey,

This is Maarten of ProjectSAM.

Thank you for your very elaborate feedback.

We have already begun work on an update, which will mainly address the loop points and round robin gaps. It will also feature edited wave files for the string staccatos and pizzicatos, with tighter, more responsive attacks.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Maarten Spruijt"

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2015

Tighter more responsive attacks for the win!

Biolumin3sc3nt

03 Jun 2015

Cool news, that's good to hear. Thumbs up Joey!

Kenni
Site Admin

03 Jun 2015

Didnt read everything in this discussion, but did you address the clunky sounds on the sustain strings when played at 127 velocity?

That was the final thing that made me delete the RE
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

joeyluck

03 Jun 2015

andruszkow wrote:Didnt read everything in this discussion, but did you address the clunky sounds on the sustain strings when played at 127 velocity?

That was the final thing that made me delete the RE
Oh I didn't... But feel free to contact them about that one. Send an audio example if you can.

They are also looking into fixing the reverb behavior.

Gardinski

03 Jun 2015

Hello chaps,
Is anyone else still having trouble downloading the trial version of ProjectSAM? I had 5 attempts last night, and another this morning. On each occasion, the download apparently reached completion (the 1.9GB bar filled up), but this was followed by the message "Download Failed" when it tried to 'install'.
I contacted ProjectSAM and had a very swift and courteous reply from Maarten, advising me to take the matter up with Propellerheads, but I suspect it may take a while for the Props to reply, so in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone else has found a solution.
I'm also wondering if this might be a Reason 7 vs Reason 8 issue. I'm still on 7.1.1, and have no desire to switch to Reason 8. (Didn't really like the look/feel of Reason 8 when I checked it out, and I'm comfortable with R7 so it seemed silly to upgrade.)
Many thanks guys.

Kenni
Site Admin

03 Jun 2015

Hey,

I use Reason 7.1 as well. To me, it helped updating the Authorizer to version 2.8 (was 2.6 when it failed).

That sorted my problems.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Gardinski

03 Jun 2015

Kenni, you're a genius. I hadn't even thought to check that. (I don't think it had ever crossed my mind that Authorizer might need updating from time to time.) It makes perfect sense, because it's right at the authorization stage that the download was failing. I shall see to it immediately.
Many thanks!

joeyluck

03 Jun 2015

Gardinski wrote: Kenni, you're a genius. I hadn't even thought to check that. (I don't think it had ever crossed my mind that Authorizer might need updating from time to time.) It makes perfect sense, because it's right at the authorization stage that the download was failing. I shall see to it immediately.
Many thanks!
Updating to 7.1.2 should also do this for you automatically.

Gardinski

03 Jun 2015

Hi Joey,
Yes, I looked into the 7.1.2 update after reading about it earlier in the thread, but I believe that's for Mac only.  Unless I'm mistaken, I think 7.1.1 is as far as it goes for the humble PC people among us.
Currently re-downloading after updating 'Authorizer', as advised by Andruszkow. Fingers crossed...

ojmsn4544

03 Jun 2015

Im loving this Rack Extension I just downloaded it this morning and was able to whip up a nice song with it.  

Gaja

03 Jun 2015

@ojmsn4544 nice track! Really score-y, the ending in particular. Did you compose it to a acene, or with a scene in mind?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

ojmsn4544

03 Jun 2015

@gaja Thanks I didn't have a scene in mind but I imagine something mystical and adventurous.  I basically started with the chords then built on that.  But I used the Project Sam for all sounds except for the Big Drums and a few transitions

Gaja

03 Jun 2015

I pictured something like a sunrise in the end, that brings battle still, kind of like that scene in lotr, when Gandalf appears at helms deep with another army and turns battle luck :) very nice!
Cheers!
Fredhoven

joeyluck

03 Jun 2015

Gardinski wrote:
Gardinski wrote:  
Hi Joey,
Yes, I looked into the 7.1.2 update after reading about it earlier in the thread, but I believe that's for Mac only.  Unless I'm mistaken, I think 7.1.1 is as far as it goes for the humble PC people among us.
Currently re-downloading after updating 'Authorizer', as advised by Andruszkow. Fingers crossed...

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up!

FrankJaeger

03 Jun 2015

joeyluck wrote:
I gave it 5 stars just for their presence in the shop :)

But so far, I'm disappointed in this one. Very limited. Practically no control. The looping is bad. I can hear start/loop points and I can hear a pen drop over and over and over again :frown:
Finally some proof on why you can't trust the amount of stars on a product without reading reviews. You gave it 5 stars immediately just because a specific company put something in the shop, then proceeded to say you are disappointed by the product with reasons that for me (and probably others) are deal breaking. 

That 5 stars is still there and someone else is going to take the plunge based off of that and possibly waste their money that could have been spent elsewhere. Granted they can trial the device first, but in my experience almost all musicians are to some degree over zealous and will jump at the opportunity to make their music better. :x
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

• Information