What do you think about this? (about Parsec 2)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
miscend

12 Jan 2017

You lose ability to hear higher frequencies gradually as you age. Most people above middle age can only hear up to 15khz according to doctors. If you suffer from bouts of tinnitus that loss can be accelerated.
selig wrote:I think he is referring to the bandwidth limitation around 18-19 kHz of Parsec, something very few would ever notice. Not sure why they did this, other than to save CPU by limiting the upper range in a way that would not be noticed.

FWIW, the difference we're talking about is just around one whole step (two semitones).
Many synths do this to prevent aliasing.

miscend

12 Jan 2017

exxx wrote:I love Reason and I will continue to use it

It is a simple guess, but sometimes the propellerhead thinks that it is limiting the development with the third parties in mind.

For example, a classic style compressor. loudness meter. etc.These days are the basics. Could this be the default?

/

Parsec2 is a modern, high-performance synthesizer.

There should be an air frq(16-20k), Do not you have to cut the consumer later if you do not need it?

If the problem is dsp, put the high low button on the back.
It's a very common practice. Designing successful synthesisers is a taste issue. They are well within their rights to use band limiting if it sounds subjectively better. The Access Virus for example has band limited oscs but you never hear people complain that the Virus is too dark.

Personally IMHO Parsec is quite a glassy and bright sounding synth as it is, I think it is for the better.

Loque

12 Jan 2017

I added some frequencies above 18khz with Echo Bode. I could not really hear anything tha Ech Bode was outputting except i pull the ouput high. But tbh, it gave Parsec in the sum a bit more shine, but i would lie if i could hear that through a mix.
Reason12, Win10

jonheal

14 Jan 2017

Here is your explanation. CPU-saving theory was correct.
Parsec-Explanation.jpg
Parsec-Explanation.jpg (309.43 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

raymondh

14 Jan 2017

Loque wrote:I added some frequencies above 18khz with Echo Bode. I could not really hear anything tha Ech Bode was outputting except i pull the ouput high. But tbh, it gave Parsec in the sum a bit more shine, but i would lie if i could hear that through a mix.
How did you do this?

(I really need to learn more about Echobode than just the presets!)

Loque

14 Jan 2017

raymondh wrote:
Loque wrote:I added some frequencies above 18khz with Echo Bode. I could not really hear anything tha Ech Bode was outputting except i pull the ouput high. But tbh, it gave Parsec in the sum a bit more shine, but i would lie if i could hear that through a mix.
How did you do this?

(I really need to learn more about Echobode than just the presets!)
Erm... Its a delay with a frequency shifter... Turn down the delay to 0, pull up the frequency, set knob to frequency and mix the signal in.
Reason12, Win10

KirkMarkarian

14 Jan 2017

I'm glad those highs are cut out. Parsec is fine as it is. Any higher and I'd be tearing holes in my eardrums.

supersplaron

17 Jan 2017

Hey guys and gals! First, I'm very sorry if the cat comment offended anyone! Turns out (as you see in the Facebook screenshot) that this was a conscious decision to cut off after 18k, to save some DSP power. I wasn't aware of this, but now we all know. :) /Stefan

Galaxy

17 Jan 2017

supersplaron wrote:Hey guys and gals! First, I'm very sorry if the cat comment offended anyone! Turns out (as you see in the Facebook screenshot) that this was a conscious decision to cut off after 18k, to save some DSP power. I wasn't aware of this, but now we all know. :) /Stefan
Thank you Stefan for taking the time to clear this up :)

A cut at 18k is fine by me. We also now know why :D

exxx

17 Jan 2017

i send this thread ph facebook..

househoppin09

13 Mar 2017

I'd like to know more about the Dual Saw topping out around 8k, as shown by riemac earlier in this thread. That seems to be a totally separate issue, unrelated to the 18k limit for Parsec as a whole. Presumably it was either a purely aesthetic decision, or a flat-out mistake. Anyone know which? And, for that matter, does Parsec 1 have the same 8k limit on the Dual Saw?

riemac

13 Mar 2017

househoppin09 wrote:I'd like to know more about the Dual Saw topping out around 8k, as shown by riemac earlier in this thread. That seems to be a totally separate issue, unrelated to the 18k limit for Parsec as a whole. Presumably it was either a purely aesthetic decision, or a flat-out mistake. Anyone know which? And, for that matter, does Parsec 1 have the same 8k limit on the Dual Saw?
Thank you that you bumped up this topic. You are right the dual saw problem is not related to the 18k limit.
When I remember it right in Parsec I the dual saw were two detuned saws in the same octave and I doen't think there was a problem with the limit.
Now in Parsec II there are two detuned saws, which detune up to one octave apart, which sounds very different than before. I guess the lower limit is a bug, because in Parsec I this wasn't the case. I wrote Peter Jubel an pm about it, but never got a response.

Maybe some one who still has Parsec I can check this.

riemac

13 Mar 2017

By the way, I'm still wondering if there is another update of Parsec in the making with sample/wavetable loading. This would be very nice.

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2017

riemac wrote:By the way, I'm still wondering if there is another update of Parsec in the making with sample/wavetable loading. This would be very nice.
As I understand it, and I could be wrong here, Parsec is neither a sample nor a wavetable based synth. It's additive, using sine waves to build waveforms. So I don't know how it could allow sample/wavetable loading, unless it could somehow also add a conversion process to analyze the wave and convert to additive. I would guess that in that case it would be limited to single-cycle waves, which would be far from interesting IMO. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

riemac

13 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
riemac wrote:By the way, I'm still wondering if there is another update of Parsec in the making with sample/wavetable loading. This would be very nice.
As I understand it, and I could be wrong here, Parsec is neither a sample nor a wavetable based synth. It's additive, using sine waves to build waveforms. So I don't know how it could allow sample/wavetable loading, unless it could somehow also add a conversion process to analyze the wave and convert to additive. I would guess that in that case it would be limited to single-cycle waves, which would be far from interesting IMO. :)
Yes, I understand the additive nature of Parsec. But the implementation of the Thor wavetables in Parsec II always made me wonder, if this was done on purpose to implement wavetable loading or some kind of resynthesis algorithm later after the SDK update.
In the past Propellerhead did showcase every new SDK with a new Propellerhead RE. I'm still waiting for that. Maybe it will be Parsec 2.1 or a new Sampler, who knows ;-)

lowpryo

13 Mar 2017

selig wrote:

what would make more sense for Parsec is loading samples into a modifier. much like the "voice" modifier, which applies the formants from a built-in sample already.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2017

Galaxy wrote:Wtf is wrong with you ppl, Props included.

The OP is asking why Parsec cannot produce sound above 16k!

Music for cats? Lol! As funny as an answer that might be, it's unprofessional as fuck! Propellehead what the hell is amatter with you, this is no way to talk to your customers. On top of that I have a hard time believing you all and props not being able to understand what the op is asking.

Explain why there are no frequencies above 16k without being patronizing dammit, that's what he's asking. This is sad!
Personally I read it as the OP stirring a pot, he has posted up 3 separate pictures, there could have been other information in-between that we have not been privy to and asked "I want to hear your opinion", not stating an opinion about what...

With regards to your comment, why swear, does it make you feel big or professional or something?

BTW there has been a thread about the cutoff Freq. on the Parsec before, could have been here on ReasonTalk or on Propellerheads FB page...

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

Music for cats? Lol! As funny as an answer that might be, it's unprofessional as fuck! Propellehead what the hell is amatter with you, this is no way to talk to your customers. On top of that I have a hard time believing you all and props not being able to understand what the op is asking.

Explain why there are no frequencies above 16k without being patronizing dammit, that's what he's asking. This is sad!
Personally I read it as the OP stirring a pot, he has posted up 3 separate pictures, there could have been other information in-between that we have not been privy to and asked "I want to hear your opinion", not stating an opinion about what...

With regards to your comment, why swear, does it make you feel big or professional or something?

BTW there has been a thread about the cutoff Freq. on the Parsec before, could have been here on ReasonTalk or on Propellerheads FB page...
Nothing wrong with swearing on this forum, but there IS something wrong with making a personal attack.

ALL: If you have a problem with someone's tone, please contact the mods via PM and leave it out of the thread! Thanks for understanding.

Selig Audio, LLC

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

Nothing wrong with swearing on this forum, but there IS something wrong with making a personal attack.

ALL: If you have a problem with someone's tone, please contact the mods via PM and leave it out of the thread! Thanks for understanding.

Who said there is something wrong with swearing?

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
selig wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

Who said there is something wrong with swearing?
Please contact me via PM if you have questions or need this explained to you. Thanks!
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

fieldframe
RE Developer

13 Mar 2017

riemac wrote:
selig wrote:
Yes, I understand the additive nature of Parsec. But the implementation of the Thor wavetables in Parsec II always made me wonder, if this was done on purpose to implement wavetable loading or some kind of resynthesis algorithm later after the SDK update.
In the past Propellerhead did showcase every new SDK with a new Propellerhead RE. I'm still waiting for that. Maybe it will be Parsec 2.1 or a new Sampler, who knows ;-)
Presumably the Thor wavetables have been prepared with a specialized Fourier decomposition for Parsec's sine wave format. The question then becomes whether they were prepared offline (most likely) or are prepared on load (which would make user sample loading possible).

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2017

fieldframe wrote:
riemac wrote:
selig wrote:
Presumably the Thor wavetables have been prepared with a specialized Fourier decomposition for Parsec's sine wave format. The question then becomes whether they were prepared offline (most likely) or are prepared on load (which would make user sample loading possible).
Ahh, I'm following you guys now. Would guess it's similar to how Maelstrom works, which would require offline prep?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ahornberg

20 Mar 2017

A small enhancement for the Props, a giant step for me ;)

So I actually upgraded to Parsec 2 and I found this tiny difference:

Parsec 1: Kbd-tracking of pitch in 101 steps (0% to 100% in integer values)
Parsec 2: Kbd-tracking of pitch in 1001 steps (0% to 100% in fraction values like 74.3 or 88.2)

What does this mean for me? Now I can define microtonal scales with 10 times more precision!

My most used microtonal scale has 72.727 cents between a "semitone" and until now I had to use 73 or 72 as a compromise.
Btw. in Thor there are 128 integer values from 0 to 100 cents so in the example above by choosing 92 I end up with 72.44 cents.

tiker01

20 Mar 2017

Ahornberg wrote:A small enhancement for the Props, a giant step for me ;)

Parsec 2: Kbd-tracking of pitch in 1001 steps (0% to 100% in fraction values like 74.3 or 88.2)

What does this mean for me? Now I can define microtonal scales with 10 times more precision!

My most used microtonal scale has 72.727 cents between a "semitone" and until now I had to use 73 or 72 as a compromise.
Btw. in Thor there are 128 integer values from 0 to 100 cents so in the example above by choosing 92 I end up with 72.44 cents.
It might be a typo?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Ahornberg

20 Mar 2017

tiker01 wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:A small enhancement for the Props, a giant step for me ;)

It might be a typo?
?

• Information