For those concerned about RE's future with VST support coming...

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ambitran

28 Apr 2017

I've seen a lot of concerns written for RE's future, but doesn't it give the developers a new edge being able to sell their plugins to the VST market in addition and now vice versa? (They would have to make plugins in both formats of course) Also some new customers might prefer the RE version over VST because of it's modular advantages over a VST?

Let's just hope Reason won't have stability problems, but that's a whole other topic in itself [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tumar

28 Apr 2017

Rack Extensions has no future, it's mistake, it's "artifical limb", it was made as angry contrariness against VST world. Underpowered, poorly optimized (crazy latency!) for CPU, with design stuck in 90s.

decibel

28 Apr 2017

i hope the sdk keeps improving and we see even better Rack Extensions in time to come, i like having devices positioned snuggly in the rack personally

platzangst

28 Apr 2017

I don't think the REs will completely go away, though some developers might decide to concentrate only on VST because it saves time and money.

REs have security built in; nobody can pirate an RE.

These are early days for VST support, there may be limitations we don't know about yet.

But either way, those of us who have REs have them as long as we have Reason, and if we change computers it's pretty easy to set up Reason and all Reason plugins - as opposed to looking up and re-validating a folder of individual VST devices.

Rectro

28 Apr 2017

If it wasnt the fact that RE where tied to a persons account, and where not transferable if you sold your licence id say iv been quite happy with RE and their integration, but if there is good management with the VST windows ,and their position is saved with a song, then VST is going to have a huge impact of RE sales. As soon as I got the email I ventured off into the world of VSTi and saw just how much Iv been missing out on, even some free VSTs sound awesome. If I was a developer why on earth would I put money into making a RE for the same VST iv already made?

I think this move is going to push up the sales of Reason and put it out there with the other DAWs because of its modual integration into a RE, but it will kill off RE future production because there is just too many VSTi candy out there without this RE licence limitation Propellerhead has in place. If Propellerhead where to rent out RE which is what I think they will do, and alow users to transfer their racks then that flexibility changes this a bit.

Dan

normen

28 Apr 2017

tumar wrote:Rack Extensions has no future, it's mistake, it's "artifical limb", it was made as angry contrariness against VST world. Underpowered, poorly optimized (crazy latency!) for CPU, with design stuck in 90s.
Uh.. no.

JerrelTheKing

28 Apr 2017

A few thoughts. RE still have the advantage of 1. being cheaper 2. Better optimized for dsp 3. a refill market behind them. They will still be bought but definitely not at the same pace for example my wishlist has already changed. No one should have any complaints about anything sound wise anymore. This was smart of PH because this will end the Reason sound discussion once and for all and cause them to move drastically more units going forward. Reason before VSTs never did get pro level Pianos right consistently now we can use Keyscape!!

HepCat

28 Apr 2017

Dear Propellerheads,

What you need now is to make REs transferrable. Once VST devs see this kind of fluidity, they might be encouraged to make RE versions because:
- I hear they use same programming language
- As ScuzzyEye said, Props take care of the money and server space, and give REs protection against torrenting

To help things along, maybe make the RE sdk more and more amenable to programmers switching from a VST version, and also make Reason a ReWire host, and take on my idea for a Reason Audio I/O rack, which routes inputs, channel by channel, from absolutely everything connected to the PC, e.g. another DAW or a soundcard or whatever, and allows you to intuitively wire it all into the Reason Sequencer, so that Reason becomes a proper multitrack recorder. Keyword: "intuitively".

If Reason allowed reselling REs and had proper multitrack recording, with an Audio I/O rack for free that would be worth £250 at least, then REs might become as common as VSTs because women flock to a self-respecting guy who has easy terms and is the centre of attention, so, VST devs (= girlfriends) would make REs because Reason would be secure (= self respecting), allow reselling of REs (= easy terms), and is a ReWire host multitracker with my cool idea for an Audio I/O rack (= centre of attention). Plus you'll have my money for an upgrade from 6.5 :) (oh and please introduce tracker functionality like SunVox or openMPT, it's how the brain relates to audio, it's really simple, it makes music all the more accessible, and makes for some frickin awesome arpeggio - check my suggestions in the feature requests subforum).

KirkMarkarian

28 Apr 2017

I know it's silly and old-fashioned, but this kinda makes me feel a little less special for using Reason. I've used I since it began, I enjoy its exclusivity. VSTs are great. I don't hate them, but what the heck. Yeah, I know, good for business. Still...

electrofux

28 Apr 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:I know it's silly and old-fashioned, but this kinda makes me feel a little less special for using Reason. I've used I since it began, I enjoy its exclusivity. VSTs are great. I don't hate them, but what the heck. Yeah, I know, good for business. Still...
Second that.

I think from now on the non transferability will be the biggest problem for RE sales. When you make decisions between a VST and RE one important aspect is that you can sell the VST if you dont like it anymore. Before VST there just wasnt no alternative.

I really dont like the uncertainty about the RE development this decision has brought.

Heater

28 Apr 2017

tumar wrote:Rack Extensions has no future, it's mistake, it's "artifical limb", it was made as angry contrariness against VST world. Underpowered, poorly optimized (crazy latency!) for CPU, with design stuck in 90s.
Yep. If you were a developer then it makes a lot more sense to leave REs and concentrate on VSTs because its a much bigger market.

Exowildebeest

28 Apr 2017

electrofux wrote:
KirkMarkarian wrote:I know it's silly and old-fashioned, but this kinda makes me feel a little less special for using Reason. I've used I since it began, I enjoy its exclusivity. VSTs are great. I don't hate them, but what the heck. Yeah, I know, good for business. Still...
Second that.

I think from now on the non transferability will be the biggest problem for RE sales. When you make decisions between a VST and RE one important aspect is that you can sell the VST if you dont like it anymore. Before VST there just wasnt no alternative.

I really dont like the uncertainty about the RE development this decision has brought.
But you can still use cracked VST's, and the money you save you can spend on RE's :twisted:

dvdrtldg

28 Apr 2017

platzangst wrote:if we change computers it's pretty easy to set up Reason and all Reason plugins - as opposed to looking up and re-validating a folder of individual VST devices.
This is a major plus as far as I'm concerned

Kenni
Site Admin

28 Apr 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
platzangst wrote:if we change computers it's pretty easy to set up Reason and all Reason plugins - as opposed to looking up and re-validating a folder of individual VST devices.
Ditto, this is one of the huge advantages with this closed format.

New computer, install reason, go to your prop account, sync all, carry on. It's really effing simple!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

ejanuska

28 Apr 2017

I'm hoping less demand for REs brings the prices down cause I'm cheap as fuck

joeyluck

28 Apr 2017

Who knows, maybe the demand for REs might go up as users can compare directly the experience and the pros of the RE format to that of VST.

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
Right, but A major plus alone doesn't = Profit,popularity,longevity or what ever the deciding factor was @ Props headquarters according to this VST in REASON announcement today.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:Who knows, maybe the demand for REs might go up as users can compare directly the experience and the pros of the RE format to that of VST.
I will say that yes anything is possible..but I don't see how that is possible that the RE market will grow even more, when compared to what VST plugins will offer users.
You can now get Kontak libraries in REASON..what RE developer no matter how many CV's and undo's that there device can have can compete with that at the moment or at least by MAY 29 ?

DUNE 2 will be available by MAY 29 for REASON users..I own a few RE synth I bought them and Like them...But..uh..DUNE 2 takes no prisoners and cpu :puf_smile:

Other then Price of those VST's and yes a few CV purest out there will always dump on VST in REASON for not being fully integrated with CV, it would seem that Propellerheads can not exist only based on the CV and 300 undo's and one click Licences Sync users out there...go around other social media...the consensus is pure joy by most people over this VST in REASON stuff...that's what Propellerheads/investors wants and needs ..right?
home.png
home.png (11.92 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
finaly.png
finaly.png (14.6 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
Last edited by pjeudy on 28 Apr 2017, edited 2 times in total.
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

joeyluck

28 Apr 2017

pjeudy wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Who knows, maybe the demand for REs might go up as users can compare directly the experience and the pros of the RE format to that of VST.
I will say that yes anything is possible..but I don't see how that is possible that the RE market will grow even more, when compared to what VST plugins will offer users.
You can now get Kontak libraries in REASON..what RE developer no matter how many CV's and undo's that there device can have can compete with that at the moment or at least by MAY 29 ?

DUNE 2 will be available by MAY 29 for REASON users..I own a few RE synth I bought them and Like them...But..uh..DUNE 2 takes no prisoners and cpu :puf_smile:

Other the Price of those VST's and yes a few CV purest out there will always dump on VST in REASON for not being fully integrated with CV, it would seem that Propellerheads can not exist only based on the CV and 300 undo's and one click Licences Sync users out there...go around other social media...the consensus is pure joy by most people over this VST in REASON stuff...that's what Propellerheads/investors wants and needs ..right?
home.png
I'm finding I'm becoming less and less interested in VST synths. I'm still very interested in VST sample library instruments (things where I'm likely only browsing patches). But the floating window interface is a real workflow killer. And there are plenty of other things like future-proofing that have me hesitant to invest my projects into plugins that might not work in the future. Playing with VSTs in Reason only creates more desire for me to have those plugins as Rack Extensions. I think I am willing to part with that idea for large sample libraries, but for synths and effects, those developers will continue to receive my requests :lol:

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

My interest in vst support came back when I SAW THE CV CONNECTIONS.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

joeyluck

28 Apr 2017

And don't get me started on how big a pain it is to install and uninstall VSTs... It's like each one installs something different in a different location just for fun. I stopped installing them to try them out because I'm still playing catch-up on the cleanup lol...still finding remnants.

And I work from various places and computers. Locating all these plugins on each new computer instead of hitting 'sync all' just isn't going to work. But again, I'm probably willing to make that exception for a few sample library instruments. But I definitely need to practice some restraint in how many VSTs I use because it will only create problems. But I think the desired workflow will naturally encourage that behavior.

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:I'm finding I'm becoming less and less interested in VST synths. I'm still very interested in VST sample library instruments
Yeah I was thinking the same a moment ago synth are great but I have many RE synth still but no good Acoustic libraries..that needs to change.

esselfortium

28 Apr 2017

Kontakt libraries are the big attraction for me here as well. I'm very comfortable with my synth options in the rack, but being able to use the amazing instrument libraries from Impact Soundworks, Spitfire, Embertone, etc. in Reason is a huge game-changer. Love it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

electrofux

28 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:And don't get me started on how big a pain it is to install and uninstall VSTs... It's like each one installs something different in a different location just for fun. I stopped installing them to try them out because I'm still playing catch-up on the cleanup lol...still finding remnants.

And I work from various places and computers. Locating all these plugins on each new computer instead of hitting 'sync all' just isn't going to work. But again, I'm probably willing to make that exception for a few sample library instruments. But I definitely need to practice some restraint in how many VSTs I use because it will only create problems. But I think the desired workflow will naturally encourage that behavior.
Yeah, i feel the same. Try to load up an old Song in another DAW... In Reason it is easy even after many years.

joeyluck

28 Apr 2017

esselfortium wrote:Kontakt libraries are the big attraction for me here as well. I'm very comfortable with my synth options in the rack, but being able to use the amazing instrument libraries from Impact Soundworks, Spitfire, Embertone, etc. in Reason is a huge game-changer. Love it.
Same here. Narrowed it down to Kontakt libraries and still feeling overwhelmed with the options! Not sure what I need first...

• Information