DSP usage RE vs VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Arrant
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2017

So this VST thing got me curious, I wonder if it's more CPU-efficient to use an RE version of a plugin compared to the VST version of said plugin in the Reason rack?

Say comparing synths like Predator or Legend, or effects such as Softtube FET or Devastor2. Anyone had a chance to check this in the beta?

Could be a factor in the VST vs RE "war" for sure.

decibel

29 Apr 2017

although im using the logging beta so its probably not the best gauge of 9.5s perfomance i can say that using lots of vsts in the rack is putting a strain on the cpu without a doubt, im already thinking i might need a new computer lol

riemac

29 Apr 2017

decibel wrote:although im using the logging beta so its probably not the best gauge of 9.5s perfomance i can say that using lots of vsts in the rack is putting a strain on the cpu without a doubt, im already thinking i might need a new computer lol
If you are on windows could you please check, if the vst' s use the fourth CPU core. Before Reason could only use three of the four physical cores.

eXode

29 Apr 2017

From a technical standpoint VSTs can potentially be better optimized than REs.

This has to do with the fact that the RE code is platform agonstic, and that RE's (currently) are sandboxed. With VST the developer can do optimizations on hardware level, etc.

This is put simply, and as far as I understad it.

decibel

29 Apr 2017

riemac wrote:
decibel wrote:although im using the logging beta so its probably not the best gauge of 9.5s perfomance i can say that using lots of vsts in the rack is putting a strain on the cpu without a doubt, im already thinking i might need a new computer lol
If you are on windows could you please check, if the vst' s use the fourth CPU core. Before Reason could only use three of the four physical cores.
sorry riemac wish i could help but im on an old mac man

miscend

29 Apr 2017

You would have to compare like for like to get an accurate estimate. Like Predator VST vs RE running the same patch.

Karim
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2017

riemac wrote:
The beta version is surely slower than the candidate. But which model of Mac do you own?

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Heater

29 Apr 2017

Can someone who has the beta and Legend in RE and VST format please do a test with say 8 Legend RE synths playing different chords and keep adding until you max our your CPU and then try it with the VST version. I would love to know the results.

Olivier

29 Apr 2017

Heater wrote:Can someone who has the beta and Legend in RE and VST format please do a test with say 8 Legend RE synths playing different chords and keep adding until you max our your CPU and then try it with the VST version. I would love to know the results.
It is way too early to tell.
There is overhead in the testing and logging versions that are running in the beta. Comparisons like that cannot be made untill in the final stages of the beta.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

joeyluck

29 Apr 2017

Heater wrote:Can someone who has the beta and Legend in RE and VST format please do a test with say 8 Legend RE synths playing different chords and keep adding until you max our your CPU and then try it with the VST version. I would love to know the results.
Those who are beta testing are all using a logging version. While someone could still do a test between RE and VST performance with logging, the overall number would be misleading. But also, can't be sure that the logging doesn't cause more of a difference in one or the other format...

etyrnal

30 Apr 2017

How are you using the beta? Don't beta testers usually have to sign an NDA not to disclose information publicly? I don't believe beta testers are aloud discuss things in public forums without risking losing their beta tester status.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Kenni
Site Admin

30 Apr 2017

There's no NDA regarding discussing beta results in public, but there's a distinct wish from Propellerhead not to, which we've chosen to honor.

Please read: viewtopic.php?f=3&p=323903
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information