RE's that will have to Deal with there VST counterpart

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

Now that the plugin market place for reason users has exploded, RE's that where the cream of the crop will have to deal with users having more choices...Yes..I know that those RE will strongly benefit from better CV options and better integration then there VST counterparts. But VST's will also have there own advantages in there Design.
And what about pricing...will some RE's lower there prices to compete if and when an RE cost more ?

Here are a few plugin that will have to coexist in the REASON universe:
Additives.jpg
Additives.jpg (298.11 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
FM.jpg
FM.jpg (321.58 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
WAVETABLE.jpg
WAVETABLE.jpg (393.52 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
Last edited by pjeudy on 29 Apr 2017, edited 3 times in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

Multiband.jpg
Multiband.jpg (272.21 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
pump up the volume.jpg
pump up the volume.jpg (247.92 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
MODULATION.jpg
MODULATION.jpg (491.48 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

Alkua

29 Apr 2017

What about this: UAD vs Cakewalk RE

Image Image

decibel

29 Apr 2017

lucky for most of us that the Cakewalk RE was a free give away not too long ago ;)

pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

Alkua wrote:What about this: UAD vs Cakewalk RE
I was thinking more along the line of RE's that are exclusive to REASON and helped fill avoid in the REASON universe.

sdst
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2017

These two in a combinator, I hope this don't open a black hole

RequiemMachine

29 Apr 2017

How do you think Props got Delay Compensation and VST to work in the Reason paradigm...they harnessed the power of a black hole....now there is a singularity in the rack!
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

theshoemaker

29 Apr 2017

This will probably be my Christmas shopping ... Reaktor 6 ... and Reason 9. What are the limitations on the VST rack in terms of CV? Are there any?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

esselfortium

29 Apr 2017

theshoemaker wrote:This will probably be my Christmas shopping ... Reaktor 6 ... and Reason 9. What are the limitations on the VST rack in terms of CV? Are there any?

It has 8 CV inputs that you can map to any VST control that can be automated.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

theshoemaker

29 Apr 2017

esselfortium wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:This will probably be my Christmas shopping ... Reaktor 6 ... and Reason 9. What are the limitations on the VST rack in terms of CV? Are there any?

Oh crap! ... really They should spent more time to create virtual patch cables or infinit mappings. It's as easy as creating a half-line rack extension that can be loaded as modules which can fill up a full screen of rack space. I really don't like all this limitations in Reason. But maybe they can lift off some, after getting more manpower from the investors.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

esselfortium

29 Apr 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
esselfortium wrote:

Oh crap! ... really They should spent more time to create virtual patch cables or infinit mappings. It's as easy as creating a half-line rack extension that can be loaded as modules which can fill up a full screen of rack space. I really don't like all this limitations in Reason. But maybe they can lift off some, after getting more manpower from the investors.
You can automate as many controls as you want, like in any other DAW. The 8 CV slots are in addition to the standard automation functions, not in replacement of it.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2017

I'm not sure if Razor has a counterpart as it has oscillators that can be modified on a per-sample basis, which is a completely different method of synthesis to Parsec and most of the additive synths (which are actually spectral synths).

Comparable VST spectral synths include: Linplug SPECTRAL and iZotope Iris 2.

pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

avasopht wrote:I'm not sure if Razor has a counterpart as it has oscillators that can be modified on a per-sample basis, which is a completely different method of synthesis to Parsec and most of the additive synths (which are actually spectral synths).

Comparable VST spectral synths include: Linplug SPECTRAL and iZotope Iris 2.
Fixed ! thanks.

joeyluck

29 Apr 2017

I wouldn't compare PX7 to FM8 either. You could compare PX7 to Dexed, but I'd still prefer PX7 in that category. I think it sounds better and I prefer the interface.

Also, I think when plugins are 1:1 in terms of features and sound, then the RE wins every time because it simply integrates better into the rack and browser and incorporates the easier license syncing etc. etc.

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

Parsec vs HARMOR.
TABLE OSC VS SERUM.
ZERO VS FM8 & Sytrus.

Get ya synth types in order xD
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:I wouldn't compare PX7 to FM8 either. You could compare PX7 to Dexed, but I'd still prefer PX7 in that category. I think it sounds better and I prefer the interface.

Also, I think when plugins are 1:1 in terms of features and sound, then the RE wins every time because it simply integrates better into the rack and browser and incorporates the easier license syncing etc. etc.
True!
I was looking at it loosely. Every CV connection and integration into Reason should definitely be a plus for that RE device. For me it will be interesting to see how people will actually react towards those similar but not necessarily 1 to 1 devices once they have R9.5 and they are faced with really deciding over fully integrated RE's or perceived better featured VST's.

Will REASON users complain heavily about not being able to Sync there plugins etc...or will they understand the trade off here. Also will it be business as usual for REASON developers? I haven't heard much from them Regarding this VST thing. Haven't heard from Selig at at all ..maybe I just mist it.

Smaller RE dev where making a name for themselves...They had the low cost RE device market all to themselves (I'm thinking devs like mixfood orange for example) Now having to share the Market with hundreds of free devices, sample loading instruments.

I predict that core Reason users will always rally around RE's, but I want to see if there will be more content out there Showcasing REASON in there VST Plugin Promos,trade shows,web articles and online videos. Not that it matters or is critically important at ALL...just interested to see how this will impact REASON in the coming months.

Loque

29 Apr 2017

C1-L1 vs, well, Molot...
Reason12, Win10

pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:Parsec vs HARMOR.
TABLE OSC VS SERUM.
ZERO VS FM8 & Sytrus.

**You can't get Harmor for REASON or any other DAW
**Expanse are the closest in similarity in the RE market that most user will look at. Just like it was sometimes compared to SERUM in the EXPANSE thread.
**PX7 is an FM synth! so are FM8 and Sytrus, what's not comparable here? the few added features/parameter that FM8/Sytrus has over PX7? That's not the users fault and that's what a buyer has to decide for themselves when looking for an Instrument under the banner "FM SYNTHESIS"
** Isn't ZERO a Hybrid Synthesizer? that doesn't do FM exclusively.
**Also you can't purchase Sytrus for REASON or any other DAW

Remember the OP title : "RE's that will have to Deal with there VST counterpart" :puf_smile:

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

Imageline made standalone and vst versions of their plugins, YEARS AGO. Get your facts straight they did this shit back when reason 5 was still in circulation
Producer/Programmer.

16BitBear

29 Apr 2017

pjeudy wrote:
Oquasec wrote:Parsec vs HARMOR.
TABLE OSC VS SERUM.
ZERO VS FM8 & Sytrus.

**You can't get Harmor for REASON or any other DAW
**Expanse are the closest in similarity in the RE market that most user will look at. Just like it was sometimes compared to SERUM in the EXPANSE thread.
**PX7 is an FM synth! so are FM8 and Sytrus, what's not comparable here? the few added features/parameter that FM8/Sytrus has over PX7? That's not the users fault and that's what a buyer has to decide for themselves when looking for an Instrument under the banner "FM SYNTHESIS"
** Isn't ZERO a Hybrid Synthesizer? that doesn't do FM exclusively.
**Also you can't purchase Sytrus for REASON or any other DAW

Remember the OP title : "RE's that will have to Deal with there VST counterpart" :puf_smile:
Actually most FL Studio plugins can be purchased as separate VST's for use in other DAW's so both Harmor and Sytrus can be compared to RE's.

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

https://www.image-line.com/ this has been a thing since like 2010 or some shit hahahahah
Producer/Programmer.

rcbuse
RE Developer

29 Apr 2017

sdst wrote:Image
These two in a combinator, I hope this don't open a black hole
Hah! As a proud owner of Reaktor 6, I've very excited for this.

pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

DJBuddhaBear wrote:Actually most FL Studio plugins can be purchased as separate VST's for use in other DAW's so both Harmor and Sytrus can be compared to RE's.
Right ..other users mentioned it to me also in another post, thanks... I really can't recall ever seeing there plugin other then from SeamlessR...I'm not into FL studio at all ..but I love his bass Synthesis.

pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:Imageline made standalone and vst versions of their plugins, YEARS AGO. Get your facts straight they did this shit back when reason 5 was still in circulation
And you get your fact straight... you don't get any brownie point for knowing FL studio trivia questions. They are available in VST? then cool! ..the world will keep spinning.

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

fl studio plugins are exe and vst.
Producer/Programmer.

• Information