ReSpire RE back in the shop - Still on sale!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
miscend

17 May 2017

xbitz wrote:just saying it needs + 30% CPU vs the VST version (on a logging beta!), so I would wait it ...
Are you saying it used 30% more CPU than the VST when playing the same patches?

strangers
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

Running the demo now. This synth sounds really good but CPU usage is ridiculous. I usually don't hit the glitch zone until I get heavily into the mixing process and realize I forgot to bounce some mixer channels. Running a fresh project with only ReSpire and this one instance instantly hits 3+ DSP the second I hit the keyboard. I'm liking the sound of ReSpire but it's looking like it's going to take a toll on my productivity. Decisions... decisions...

Edit: Not even a full minute after posting here and it's crashing while scrolling through patches. :?

miscend

17 May 2017

strangers wrote:Running the demo now. This synth sounds really good but CPU usage is ridiculous. I usually don't hit the glitch zone until I get heavily into the mixing process and realize I forgot to bounce some mixer channels. Running a fresh project with only ReSpire and this one instance instantly hits 3+ DSP the second I hit the keyboard. I'm liking the sound of ReSpire but it's looking like it's going to take a toll on my productivity. Decisions... decisions...
Expanse and VK2 are also super taxing.

strangers
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

Are these addressable issues with future updates? Or is the possibility of decreasing CPU usage minimal with future updates? It's a shame because I'm really liking the sounds but there's no way I can use ReSpire in a project. I can't even get through the bass presets without crashing and that's literally only ReSpire in the rack.

aeox
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

tumar wrote:
aeox wrote:great synth for sound designers and preset/patch junkies alike! but i already have expanse.. so i will have to skip this RE.
I downloaded trial, I don't think it's as good as NI Massive, Absynth or Access Virus TI (and almost every patch is flooded with reverb/delay ;) ). So I'll wait to see how VST works with Reason. If everything is fine, then I'll skip ReSpire.

yes, people really love them some reverb and delay. arguably the two most common effects that contribute to the "larger than life" sound, when done properly in combination with EQ and compression! :D

miscend

17 May 2017

First impressions are that the menus are bit less intuitive than the VST. The Stepper and Arp have both been split into two pages, which is counter intuitive imho. And it definitely needs drop down menus for doing things like selecting filter types.

EdGrip

17 May 2017

Okay, so I have had a mess about with ReSpire.
I think the sound quality is excellent. It can sound modern and EDM, but it can also sound soft and warm and analogue. The wavetables mixing into the other oscillator types is fun. The effects are high quality, although the distortion section (called "shaper") is a bit fussy and as noted by others, the delay and reverb are laid on a bit thick throughout the presets.
Out there in the wider internet, people fret endlessly about Spire (and Serum, and others) suffering from overexposure, and that they need the next new synth that nobody's heard of yet to carve a new sound niche. Nah. Excuses, excuses. It's just a really good-sounding soft synth.

Here's the problem:

Now, I appreciate that I've got Decimort going on here and that's a bit hungry itself, but there's nothing else going on, and we're at 5 bars of DSP. And that's after I've stopped playing to take a screenshot.
In comparison, if I mash keys with VK-2's poly/pad patches, I use 4 bars of DSP, maybing flickering the 5th bar.
I haven't managed to make eXpanse or The Legend go over one bar, no matter what I do.

Reveal Sound say on the shop page that they are working on optimisation. Good.
I thought I might buy this, but as it stands it's not a whole lot of use to me when I can only have one at a time on its own.

fieldframe
RE Developer

17 May 2017

Hmm, have to say I'm surprised. Four instances on my 2013 MacBook Pro without any crackles, which is really all I ask when using a demanding synth. While the presets are a bit of a mixed bag (thanks Reveal Sound, but I don't need a patch that plays an entire beat loop with its own bass and lead), there are some impressive ones. While these might theoretically be possible to re-create with Expanse, their existence points to Spire definitely having its own sonic character. And even though the knobs are still too big, it's not a badly-designed UI at all. And some hardware has big knobs, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If these impressions continue, I'm picking this one up.

EnochLight

17 May 2017

xbitz wrote:just saying it needs + 30% CPU vs the VST version (on a logging beta!), so I would wait it ...
I'm not sure how many times it needs to be said, but do NOT base CPU performance using Reason 9.5 logging. There is a shit ton of logging code going on that bogs down performance.

No need to wait for this - Spire is a must-have synth in Reason. Well, unless you already own the VST... ;) :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mind2069

17 May 2017

Is it me, were do you adjust the effects, like delay time ect, not just on and off in the back

I see from a picture in the post, not like the one in the shop, bottom, right, i thought it was just the stepper

Catblack

17 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
No need to wait for this - Spire is a must-have synth in Reason. Well, unless you already own the VST... ;) :D
It does seem like due to lack of cv on the back maybe one is better off with the vst...?
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

miscend

17 May 2017

It's not too demanding on my end. I've got 3 instances at three bars on my DSP. Reveal sound advise people to test it on their system before purchasing.

EnochLight

17 May 2017

Catblack wrote:It does seem like due to lack of cv on the back maybe one is better off with the vst...?
To be clear, CV on the back is coming. Reveal Sound just wanted to get this out for people since it's been in demand for so long. But if you prefer the much larger GUI/UX as well as the dark theme that comes in the VST, then the VST is definitely a winner. And in Reason, word is you can automate some of the VST's effects settings in 9.5 (something you can't do in the RE just yet).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ambitran

17 May 2017

Or am I missing it somewhere?

ambitran

17 May 2017

Found it on the bottom right menu box! Very odd lol.

pothole

17 May 2017

sounds great!

but the menus are very :lol: :lol: very annoying to scroll through

scratchnsnifff

17 May 2017

I noticed shutting the reverb and delay off minimized CPU a lot. I had 4 I instances going with some CPU bars that seemed to be on the high side but so far this i think it's one awesome sounding synth, even the patches I made from scratch sound awesome :) best 60 synth (imo and granted your computer can handle it)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

Sounds pretty good but feels a bit like it has been shoe-horned into the Rack with little sense of workflow so long as it looks like the VST.

It is nice enough but I do wonder if I wouldn't be better holding the coin against something truly stellar like UVI Falcon.

For the price tho (and if you can trust the niggles get un-niggled) then it is a sure winner, esp if you don't already own one of the heavyweight synths.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

VSTs won't be in the Prop Shop.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eusti

17 May 2017

Anybody know why certain controls are not automatable? Like for instance the Pan knob...

D.

mfavila

17 May 2017

Respire is 2-3 bars for one instance right now for me. Not horrible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

fieldframe
RE Developer

17 May 2017

I expected ReSpire's FSB would be all trendy dance sounds that are useless for my style, but I've already got a melodic electronica piece coming together with it: https://allihoopa.com/s/tgLEIK4a

(3 ReSpires + 1 Antidote, partly because I was running out of DSP)

fieldframe
RE Developer

17 May 2017

Kombucha wrote:
Benedict wrote:VSTs won't be in the Prop Shop.

Has there been a statement that there won't be ? I thought that was the whole point of the upgrade, so they could expand their commission on sales without waiting for rack extension developers to sort themselves out.
Safe to assume that for now, this is being saved as one of the benefits of RE. Also, implementing this (basically turning Authorizer into a standalone copy-protection SDK to compete with iLok) would eat up a lot of resources on Propellerhead's SDK team that could otherwise be spent on things like a new IDT.

eusti

18 May 2017

Kombucha wrote:
Benedict wrote:VSTs won't be in the Prop Shop.

Has there been a statement that there won't be ? I thought that was the whole point of the upgrade, so they could expand their commission on sales without waiting for rack extension developers to sort themselves out.
I would be very surprised if the VST developers would agree to part with that much cash for the privilege...
;)

D.

Ashpool

18 May 2017

I was happy to see ReSpire back in the shop. But it crashes each time I just touch the predelay menu (1/8) in the Reverb section?
When I reset the device some FX are still on. At least the Reverb. No big deal - I just have to make my own init patch, I guess. Anyway, I thought it was a good opportunity to play around a bit with the reverb settings. Unfortunately it is not possible. And I figured that out just after a couple of minutes. Seems to me still pretty Buggy (even though I like the presets too).

• Information