Rob Papen´s Vecto Instrument is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

11 Jun 2015

Faastwalker wrote:
fceramic wrote:Cool synth, but RP products generally seem bloated in the feature department. Not very user-friendly. 
eusti wrote:
Would you rather have less features > less controls > a simplified user experience?

D.
Faastwalker wrote:
From a programming standpoint I'd say yes. It's obviously a personal view but I find the RP synths to be fantastic but extremely crowded & fiddly to use. How many times did I drag the device when working on my first patch. I'd prefer less going on & bigger controls. I'd be happy to loose the Arp section, the extra envelopes & the FX section. The big problem here is that ALL of the Vectro patches are drenched in FX. Turn them off & it goes a little flat. So it needs the onboard FX to make the patches sing. 

This is my initial feeling anyway. Obviously I'm going to spend more time with this thing because the patches are gorgeous. But maybe for me it's a preset machine rather than a synth for getting your hands dirty with. I just find it too fiddly to use. It's not fun to program it's a chore. And I know the modulation lists can't be helped but they are friggin painful as they are. There must 4-5 pages of destination parameters to scroll through & they are not labelled very well. 
I've not tried this one yet, but I agree about the arp... Usually don't use them in my RP patches either... But sometimes it yields interesting results... Well, I guess, foldable sections in REs would be a possible answer...

D.

EnochLight

11 Jun 2015

TheFilterMob wrote:The VECTO is sick!!!!! Kinda small sounds bank though…
Small?  It comes with 600+ patches out of the gate!  

As for programming, admittedly I'm more of a presets guy - so I thank all those involved for the fabulous work they did.  That said, I'm curious if Shokstar, NaviRetlav, Synclab, Andrew Skelton, Oddiction, TonalAxis, and others feel the same about programming it?  Seems like they were able to coax some great patches out of it...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KIKBAK1

11 Jun 2015

This synth sounds good, however it's kinda hard to read some of the text on it. Seems kinda blurry. Also, Is the chord mode different than predator's? Or is it not working properly?
KIKBAK1.com

Faastwalker

11 Jun 2015

TheFilterMob wrote:The VECTO is sick!!!!! Kinda small sounds bank though…
EnochLight wrote:
Small?  It comes with 600+ patches out of the gate!
And it's got some bloody amazing patches in it as well.

CharlyCharlzz

12 Jun 2015

the very first sec of the video gived me the  sound deal !
most sounds are just sounding like anything on it but got a mega grain something Under the layers that make it sound fat .

Rob Papen is for shure one of the coolest devs doing RE's .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

RPSupport

12 Jun 2015

Hi All,

I have noticed a few questions about the functions in Vecto and Rob has been busy making a tutorial video explaining some of them which should be ready in a few days. 
He is also preparing more patches for a small update in the very near future. :)

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and praise for Vecto.

Hope you all have a good weekend. 

Richard

Emian

12 Jun 2015

RPSupport wrote:Hi All,

I have noticed a few questions about the functions in Vecto and Rob has been busy making a tutorial video explaining some of them which should be ready in a few days. 
He is also preparing more patches for a small update in the very near future. :)

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and praise for Vecto.

Hope you all have a good weekend. 

Richard

Cool ! another example of RP's superb support !
& oh, i just found the remote map on the site :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Jmax

12 Jun 2015

Faastwalker wrote:Started on my first Vectro patch. Initial thoughts - it's going to take A LOT of input & learning on my part to get anywhere near the dizzy splendor of some of the imcluded patches. I've not yet worked out how to engage the Arp. The modulation > destination list is an utter piss take! It needs sub folders like tea needs a tea bag. It's about 4-5 pages long & takes about 6 seconds to scroll down to the bottom of it. I'm struggling to find what I want in there BIG TIME. That's not very good. I've also not been able to understand what the 'fade' portion of the envelopes does either. But that's quite possibly because I'm going ape shit with the vector bit! And those x2 additional envelopes, bottom left corner - award for most ridiculously small & fiddly parameters in Reason ever? No contest. We continue ...............
I have to agree those envelopes are TINY.  Did Rob just through them in for shits and giggles.  But no, they actual function.  Why not have them I guess, but they do hurt my eyes. I do which the color scheme was a bit better designed to stand out a big more like Predator but hey I'm getting used to it. Perhaps this will be updated in time seeing this thing is brand new.  I haven't figured out the fade yet either.  Some of the pads have beautiful textures when layered though something quite unique.  There are so many presets that are the same thing just varried slightly.  They've done a lot of the work for us but its deceiving as 10 or so presets are just the some sound really with a small tweak.

Shokstar

12 Jun 2015

Faastwalker wrote:Started on my first Vectro patch. Initial thoughts - it's going to take A LOT of input & learning on my part to get anywhere near the dizzy splendor of some of the imcluded patches. I've not yet worked out how to engage the Arp. The modulation > destination list is an utter piss take! It needs sub folders like tea needs a tea bag. It's about 4-5 pages long & takes about 6 seconds to scroll down to the bottom of it. I'm struggling to find what I want in there BIG TIME. That's not very good. I've also not been able to understand what the 'fade' portion of the envelopes does either. But that's quite possibly because I'm going ape shit with the vector bit! And those x2 additional envelopes, bottom left corner - award for most ridiculously small & fiddly parameters in Reason ever? No contest. We continue ...............
Jmax wrote:
I have to agree those envelopes are TINY.  Did Rob just through them in for shits and giggles.  But no, they actual function.  Why not have them I guess, but they do hurt my eyes. I do which the color scheme was a bit better designed to stand out a big more like Predator but hey I'm getting used to it. Perhaps this will be updated in time seeing this thing is brand new.  I haven't figured out the fade yet either.  Some of the pads have beautiful textures when layered though something quite unique.  There are so many presets that are the same thing just varried slightly.  They've done a lot of the work for us but its deceiving as 10 or so presets are just the some sound really with a small tweak.
Yes these envs are tiny but I´ve found a workaround for me on Windows.

I´m using the Windows Lupe. Press the "Windows-Key & +" and you can use the Lupe. 
It´s not only the Vecto that has tiny text fonts or knobs etc...many other RE´s has that issue too, and with the Lupe works it well for me. I think it´s better to tell it PH that they have something to change about the rules/possibilities  for the GUI´s. 
A good suggestion is it to have the option to resize the Rack view like the FL12 Mixer or in Cubase. you can see the Vecto well with screen resolution of 1028x768 but yes I´d like to use the whole screen :D for metering tools etc.  Use the Windows Lupe to zoom in problem solved ;)

axis2000

12 Jun 2015

The envelopes in Thor are similar in size aren't they?

Exowildebeest

12 Jun 2015

Shokstar wrote: Use the Windows Lupe to zoom in problem solved ;)
It still kind of sucks having to use features that were intended for actually physically handicapped people as a workaround ;)

Most of the size/resolution complaints should be addressed to Propellerheads though, they're responsible for keeping the format visually on scale with current display technology.

Shokstar

12 Jun 2015

Shokstar wrote: Use the Windows Lupe to zoom in problem solved ;)
Exowildebeest wrote:
It still kind of sucks having to use features that were intended for actually physically handicapped people as a workaround ;)

Most of the size/resolution complaints should be addressed to Propellerheads though, they're responsible for keeping the format visually on scale with current display technology.
Yep, that´s the best way, to contact the PH guys:  [url=mailto:reason83@propellerheads.se]reason83@propellerheads.se[/url]

alex

14 Jun 2015

eusti wrote: I've not tried this one yet, but I agree about the arp... Usually don't use them in my RP patches either... But sometimes it yields interesting results... Well, I guess, foldable sections in REs would be a possible answer...

D.

In my opinion the arpeggiator shipped inside Vecto (and other RP synths RE, like QUAD) is a great addition, worth alone the fact you can use it as modulation source: you can craft every single arpeggiator's step with desired velocity values and route them via matrix in order to modulate filters,formants,pitch,pan,envelopes,FX whatever you want!

You can create really complex/evolving ready to play patches.

This thing is not possible with RPG-8 alone because you can't specify different velocity for each "step" with it.

So, for me +1 to the arp section! :thumbup:

Alessandro
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Buddaka

14 Jun 2015

Vecto is awesome, another top notch RP product. Only been playing with the presets and already fell in love with it.  :love:

Emian

14 Jun 2015

Buddaka wrote:Vecto is awesome, another top notch RP product. Only been playing with the presets and already fell in love with it.  :love:

Agreed ! some great presets :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

frog974new

14 Jun 2015

Emian wrote:
Buddaka wrote:Vecto is awesome, another top notch RP product. Only been playing with the presets and already fell in love with it.  :love:
Emian wrote:  
Agreed ! some great presets :)
indeed and its really easy to setup our some personnal patch
this month i'll made a pack with some oldschool preset like this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrztzmfmdkbeu ... 9.cmb?dl=0

if i've the time may the pack become a small refill with above 100 preset/patchs ^^

bpmorton

14 Jun 2015

The samples for Vox-Epic comes from the Digital Sound factory Vocal Expressions refill (Ensoniq vocal samples.) Look for Epic Choir.

mbfrancis

15 Jun 2015

Feels like I'm trialing a different synth from the rest of you.  Many of the presets are wonderful, epic, and very unique, but the selection is incredibly...idiosyncratic.  Sorry, there's not a single usable bass sound in the presets, but 10 identical 'electric' bass patches...yay.  So I'm struggling to get a basic analog synth bass sound out of the thing, and can't - filter envelopes are weird, everything sounds small and dinky - never had that problem with a synth before (e.g. Thor, Antidote, Quad, Snakebite).   Only five arp patches?  Oh, but 15 different pan flutes.  Am I the only frustrated one?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

frog974new

15 Jun 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Feels like I'm trialing a different synth from the rest of you.  Many of the presets are wonderful, epic, and very unique, but the selection is incredibly...idiosyncratic.  Sorry, there's not a single usable bass sound in the presets, but 10 identical 'electric' bass patches...yay.  So I'm struggling to get a basic analog synth bass sound out of the thing, and can't - filter envelopes are weird, everything sounds small and dinky - never had that problem with a synth before (e.g. Thor, Antidote, Quad, Snakebite).   Only five arp patches?  Oh, but 15 different pan flutes.  Am I the only frustrated one?
this time the fsb is bit more smal than the others RP products but may be the Devs want for this first fsb patch focus on the new features of the vecto ;) .

but don't forget with all wafeworms on each osc its easy to setup a sound . its for basic tunes the same scheme of the quad ( routing ) .. use Fade on the filter env and Amp env . the other may be the init patch is not helpfull , many times we have to change all amount mt for the fiter env and amp env ..

frog974new

15 Jun 2015

Shokstar wrote: :D this FSB isn´t small, take a look at the MonoPoly FSB, they have only 127 patches instead of 600 or look at the PX7, it´s shipped with less than 100 patches (without the big refill) or Parsec. And I think it´s better to tweak your own sounds. :D I know in busy times are presets more than welcome to get fast results :)  
indeed ^^
i woud say to small the fsb from the predator :s0238:

mrj1nx

15 Jun 2015

I spent a bunch more time with this one (like 5 hours), and it sure is great at what it does. Was gonna do an entry for the competition but as I worked with it a bit, I felt like it was hard to make it fit what I was trying to do. It's certainly great for some genres, and I'll probably end up getting it sometime in the future. I have a possible project in the future where this will work perfect as a song starter, will also be nice to wait out for more patches before getting this, because I feel programming this thing is just not something I'm gonna get good at.

mbfrancis

15 Jun 2015

Shokstar wrote: :D this FSB isn´t small, take a look at the MonoPoly FSB, they have only 127 patches instead of 600 or look at the PX7, it´s shipped with less than 100 patches (without the big refill) or Parsec. And I think it´s better to tweak your own sounds. :D I know in busy times are presets more than welcome to get fast results :)  
frog974new wrote:
indeed ^^
i woud say to small the fsb from the predator :s0238:
Shokstar's post disappeared, weird.

You guys didn't read my post - I didn't say it was small, I said it was idiosyncratic.  No good synth bass sounds but 10 'electric' bass sounds, none as good as the samples in the Reason FSB?  Also I'm happy to program, too, I always tweak sounds when I use them.  But one point of presets is to show the breadth of the synth, to show what it's capable of.  So based on the presets, Vecto has cool wonderful pad sounds, no arps, some rich sample sources (epic choir, wow), funky rhythmic patches, and awesome pan flute.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Shokstar

15 Jun 2015

:D I´ve discovered the delete function.
:D  this FSB isn´t small, take a look at the MonoPoly FSB, they have only 127 patches instead of 600 or look at the PX7, it´s shipped with less than 100 patches (without the big refill) or Parsec. And I think it´s better to tweak your own sounds.  :D  I know in busy times are presets more than welcome to get fast results  :)  

raymondh

15 Jun 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Feels like I'm trialing a different synth from the rest of you.  Many of the presets are wonderful, epic, and very unique, but the selection is incredibly...idiosyncratic.  Sorry, there's not a single usable bass sound in the presets, but 10 identical 'electric' bass patches...yay.  So I'm struggling to get a basic analog synth bass sound out of the thing, and can't - filter envelopes are weird, everything sounds small and dinky - never had that problem with a synth before (e.g. Thor, Antidote, Quad, Snakebite).   Only five arp patches?  Oh, but 15 different pan flutes.  Am I the only frustrated one?
I agree on the bass samples, I am not that excited by them either. It would be great if a future release had a few more bread and butter samples like a nice fat analog bass.
That said, I am finding it pretty easy to program the sounds I want.
I think it complements rather than replaces other RE synths.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

15 Jun 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Sorry, there's not a single usable bass sound in the presets, but 10 identical 'electric' bass patches...yay.  So I'm struggling to get a basic analog synth bass sound out of the thing, and can't - filter envelopes are weird, everything sounds small and dinky - never had that problem with a synth before (e.g. Thor, Antidote, Quad, Snakebite).
I wonder why every synth should provide the same old shit like every other one? When Thor, Antidote etc. are experts for analog bass sounds, why not use these and take Vecto for stuff that suits better to its structure and character?

I'm constantly bored when I get a new RE and all I find is this omnipresent mixture of basses, leads and strings that never changed in the last 40 years since the first storable synths came out. I don't need more!

• Information