Selig "Surprise"

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kooshan

25 Jan 2018

madmacman wrote:
25 Jan 2018
kooshan wrote:
24 Jan 2018
Great rack for sure
A suggestion:

If you could include some sort of dynamic eq in your rack then it would be amazing because as you know the dynamic eq combinator availble in reason is not the best , it would be huge addition .
Thanks
I know we are talking RE's here, but: there is a great dynamic EQ out there as VST called "TDR Nova" - for free!

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2018

seqoi wrote:It's not about device design choices it is about usability and other people eye sight. I too have problem reading these "not so easy to see" labels. Slot numbers 2 and 3 are specially hard to read for me. Making them more whiteish, is not exactly a 3 hour job right? But if people want to make fun analogies then so be it. I'll pass - my eyes are more worth it to me.
I will look into this for an updated release. :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2018

Gorgon wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
24 Jan 2018

Oh! Please tell me it will work on 9.5!
Selig?
Yes - this device uses the older SDK so is supported on more systems. An update to SDK 2.5 is in the works to take advantage of the new features… ;)

Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

25 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
25 Jan 2018
Gorgon wrote:
Selig?
Yes - this device uses the older SDK so is supported on more systems. An update to SDK 2.5 is in the works to take advantage of the new features… ;)

Reason 9.5 and later uses the new SDK 2.5, correct?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

esselfortium

25 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jan 2018
selig wrote:
25 Jan 2018

Reason 9.5 and later uses the new SDK 2.5, correct?
Yep! Anything from Reason 9.2 onward supports SDK 2.5, I believe.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2018

Voyager wrote:
selig wrote:
24 Jan 2018

looks nice - Props should totally let us have “user selectable” fader caps!

Definitively ! :puf_bigsmile: A precise EQ need a precise fader ! :D

About contrast i was refering to those fonts, too dull.

First, I DO see some of the text is low in contrast, in case anyone thinks I’m disagreeing with that basic idea.

However…
At the risk of stating the obvious - there are only two knobs in this picture: Drive, and Level. Repeated five times. If you can read any one of the pairs, you’ve read them all.

All I would simply ask is this: give it a try! The main times you read labels is when the device is new and the functions are unknown to the user. After that initial experience, you go by color, size, and location as much as text in my experience.

If there is still any confusion or strain being reported when using the device I’ll look into possible solutions for a future update (could ultimately go with black boxes and white text to ensure readability).
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:I like the dark GUI, and I love all the use of COLOR, but ofc I do. That gui in fact reminds me of the color scheme of the Jiggery Pokery Harmonic Synth, and the fx pedal-like array at the bottom! I like. I'm intriuged by the idea of a note tracking eq. Does this mean I could cut only the fundamental of any note played, for example? Looking forward to this device. Has approximate pricing been mentioned? I didn't see it.
The note tracking is via CV or MIDI - to be clear, there is no “pitch detection” being used. But because of that, there is no latency with this device either!

But yes, you can remove the fundamental of a synth patch if it’s only playing one note. In fact, there is an example Combinator included which demonstrates removing various harmonics from instruments (or increasing their level if you prefer).

The Band Reject (notch) filter in the ColoringEQ is extremely powerful. It’s able to go extremely narrow, which allows you to remove ONLY the frequency in question. It has an additional control not available on other notch filters: a “depth” control. It essentially turns the filter into a “cut only” narrow EQ band, allowing you to control the amount of “notching” being done.

More info coming…

Selig Audio, LLC

krancek

25 Jan 2018

I dont care that much about GUI, really, or how is device named. I want to try that beast and somehow I do believe this one will be awesome, could be a real game changer.

Catblack

25 Jan 2018

I'm reloading your shop page in anticipation Selig!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Psuper

25 Jan 2018

kooshan wrote:
25 Jan 2018
madmacman wrote:
25 Jan 2018

Thanks
I know we are talking RE's here, but: there is a great dynamic EQ out there as VST called "TDR Nova" - for free!
That's the one I mentioned and use. It's genuinely incredible, used the free one so often it was well worth getting the GE.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

jappe

25 Jan 2018

moneykube wrote:
24 Jan 2018
nice gui
Nice gui indeed!
I could frame that and put on the wall :puf_bigsmile:
Hmm...why don't I replace my boring paintings with such things...

manisnotabird

25 Jan 2018

How do "level", "gain", and "drive" interact? I can see the need for two of them...

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
25 Jan 2018
How do "level", "gain", and "drive" interact? I can see the need for two of them...
Gain is for the EQ.
Drive and Level are for the Saturator.

Specifically…
Gain is for EQ cut or boost amount, which is then sent to the Saturator.
Drive is the input level into saturation, and Level is the output/makeup gain after saturation. Level is only affecting the level of the saturated signal, and is totally independent from the EQ section.

See if this makes it easier or worse:
Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 9.42.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 9.42.12 PM.png (41.44 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2018

Another teaser…
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

26 Jan 2018

Interesting idea! One immediate doubt that I have is about the size of the EQ window itself? Considering Reason's notorious problem with stuff being either too small or too blurry (or both), why doesn't it take as much space as possible, with all controls moved to the bottom or the top of the device?

Voyager

26 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Jan 2018

Interesting idea! One immediate doubt that I have is about the size of the EQ window itself? Considering Reason's notorious problem with stuff being either too small or too blurry (or both), why doesn't it take as much space as possible, with all controls moved to the bottom or the top of the device?

Voyager wrote:
24 Jan 2018

To continue, i perhaps would have like to see a larger eq display, i feel this may be slightly too narrow for comfortable use especially on smaller monitors.

DeltaHotelVictory

26 Jan 2018

Looks like an instabuy to me. I think it would be very helpful if (in a future update) we would have an option for automatic gain compensation when increasing drive (and saturation) in the parallel channel. Perhaps I am lazy, but it always really bothers me with RE's & VSTs like the Softube Saturation knob that if you want to increase or decrease the saturation amount, that you have to re-adjust your levels.

chaosroyale

26 Jan 2018

To Selig! A question!

With saturation and spectrum display OFF how is the CPU usage? Basically I find the Reason native EQs are terribly underpowered and I rely more on VST plugins. A 4+2 eq with 10 selectable eq types is exactly what Reason needs to replace the Mclass. If it has lower CPU hit than VST eq's such as Pro-Q2, that is a big plus point.

Also -and I admit this is based purely on reading the manual- does anyone else think that this kind of device is exactly what makes Reason great? Reminds me of the first time I saw Malstrom or Pulverizer. Future native devices should be more like this in terms of approach.

Edit: some people saying it isn't a dynamic EQ.. well.. it is not exactly a "standard" MB-compressor-style dynamic EQ but I think bassline heads are going to find a LOT to like about this for sidechaining via CV and MIDI.

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:Interesting idea! One immediate doubt that I have is about the size of the EQ window itself? Considering Reason's notorious problem with stuff being either too small or too blurry (or both), why doesn't it take as much space as possible, with all controls moved to the bottom or the top of the device?
In all honesty, this device was initially designed before there were many options for the custom display. So when I started I felt I had to make a device that works with both “hardware” sliders and a display. The overall device was actually a bit smaller initially!

There are at least 3-4 different basic design paths I could have gone down with this product, all viable but not all possible considering SDK constraints. At some point in the design process you have to make a hard decision and proceed from there, or you’ll never finish anything!

And I don’t want to dig too deep of a hole for myself, but there WILL eventually be an updated version to take advantage of SDK 2.5 features like modifier keys for custom displays (so I can add “Q” control from the display, and many other useful features).

This would also mean I could use other SDK 2.5 techniques that could possibly allow switching to a bigger screen as one option (something that wasn’t possible when I started working on this device).

Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2018

DeltaHotelVictory wrote:Looks like an instabuy to me. I think it would be very helpful if (in a future update) we would have an option for automatic gain compensation when increasing drive (and saturation) in the parallel channel. Perhaps I am lazy, but it always really bothers me with RE's & VSTs like the Softube Saturation knob that if you want to increase or decrease the saturation amount, that you have to re-adjust your levels.
Bothers me too, so I spend a great deal of time working it out so it’s “hopefully” going to “just work”.

The Drive control actually has a ton of stuff going on in the background to try to keep the perceived level of saturation equal as you increase Drive.

Drive specifically works as follows: starting at “off” there is no saturation at all. As you increase Drive from “off” to “50%” you are increasing level and drive (assuming you are ALSO boosting or cutting the associated EQ band!). This allows you to start with no saturation signal at all, important since saturation is added in parallel with the main signal in this mode.
Moving up from 50% to 100% you are increasing Drive but also DECREASING the output level (behind the scenes). At some point the saturated signal actually gets lower in level than the original dry signal, but it still can sound “louder” because it’s so “dense” at that point (both harmonically and dynamically speaking).

Keep in mind these sort of compensations can sound different with different source material, mainly due to how we are more sensitive at some frequencies compared to others. When testing this feature there were some that heard it one way and some another - and I tried to hit the target somewhere in the middle.

But that’s the problem with all “auto gain” type algorithms IMO, at least the simple ones using current technology. And that is why you will not see an overall“AutoGain” mode on this EQ - I see no reason to give a false sense of security that the EQ is “listening” well enough to make those sorts of decisions. At least not yet…

Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2018

chaosroyale wrote:To Selig! A question!

With saturation and spectrum display OFF how is the CPU usage? Basically I find the Reason native EQs are terribly underpowered and I rely more on VST plugins. A 4+2 eq with 10 selectable eq types is exactly what Reason needs to replace the Mclass. If it has lower CPU hit than VST eq's such as Pro-Q2, that is a big plus point.

Also -and I admit this is based purely on reading the manual- does anyone else think that this kind of device is exactly what makes Reason great? Reminds me of the first time I saw Malstrom or Pulverizer. Future native devices should be more like this in terms of approach.

Edit: some people saying it isn't a dynamic EQ.. well.. it is not exactly a "standard" MB-compressor-style dynamic EQ but I think bassline heads are going to find a LOT to like about this for sidechaining via CV and MIDI.
We spent a lot of time from day one to optimize our code, even re-writing bits of it on a few occasions to take advantage of certain nuances. And by “we”, I of course mean “David Antliff” (Pitchblende) and his brother Simon. With that in mind, there ARE five bands of saturation that can be active at once, and that’s probably where you’ll get hit the hardest. Luckily you won’t need to saturate every band to get full benefits from this technology.

Dynamic EQ: I consider that to be a very different beast, and I DO have some great ideas how to take a fresh approach to such a beast…

There is one cool trick ColoringEQ CAN do, which you can read about in the User Guide and has to do with the included Combinators.

You can split the signal like a crossover, and send one band to a compressor. This could be simple, like all the high frequencies to be compressed, or all the low frequencies (like a traditional crossover). But it also works on the mid range (parametric) EQs, allowing you to send only a narrow band do a compressor and keep the rest unaffected.

The results are very similar to a dynamic EQ, and should provide one way of dealing with the “more narrow than a multi-band device can go” situations where only a dynamic EQ can get the job done!

Selig Audio, LLC

chaosroyale

26 Jan 2018

Selig: Just to be a bit specific: with the Saturation off, does it "bypass" that part of the processing and save CPU? Likewise for the spectrum display?

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
26 Jan 2018
Selig: Just to be a bit specific: with the Saturation off, does it "bypass" that part of the processing and save CPU? Likewise for the spectrum display?
Yes, you are correct. Specifically, if EQ Gain is at 0 dB (no cut, no boost), OR Drive is at 0%, OR Level is at 0%, THEN the process is effectively bypassed.

In practice, setting Drive to 50% and boosting (or cutting) and EQ band is the best way to get started with saturating an EQ band as follows:

Boosting will increase the desired frequencies AND add saturation (at the same frequencies), so you may not need to boost Gain as much as with non-saturating EQ bands.
Cutting will not only remove the desired frequencies, but at the same time you'll also be adding saturation at the same frequencies, thus retaining the original frequency response to a large degree.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2018

Catblack wrote:
25 Jan 2018
I'm reloading your shop page in anticipation Selig!
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... oloringeq/
Selig Audio, LLC

raveled
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2018

Congrats on your release, can't wait to try it out! The RE looks amazing.

Also, love to see the "Selig ReasonTalk avatar" in the shop. Haha, you have been hinting all along!

• Information