Ochen K appreciation

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

25 Feb 2019

plaamook wrote:
25 Feb 2019
So he officially split?
Wow. That sucks.
Yes, he left. Too much destructiveness instead of constructive criticism. Was one of the worst threads ever here on Reasontalk.
Reason12, Win10

plaamook

25 Feb 2019

jam-s wrote:
25 Feb 2019
plaamook wrote:
25 Feb 2019
So he officially split?
Wow. That sucks.
His reasoning was more like: As Reson now got VST support I can get the tools I want as already existing VST and don't have to code them up (for myself) as REs.
That's a drag considering most Reason users would ( I assume) rather have a Re to a VST. Especially considering the DSP mess we're in. Temporary though it may be...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

guitfnky

25 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Feb 2019
plaamook wrote:
25 Feb 2019
So he officially split?
Wow. That sucks.
Yes, he left. Too much destructiveness instead of constructive criticism.
did he say that's why, or are you just speculating? jam-s' explanation sounds more plausible.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

jam-s

25 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
25 Feb 2019
Loque wrote:
25 Feb 2019

Yes, he left. Too much destructiveness instead of constructive criticism.
did he say that's why, or are you just speculating? jam-s' explanation sounds more plausible.
The additional flak from people that complained about bugs in the forum only and supposedly not via the official bug reporting channels surely helped in leaving the RE platform.

It's a pity I like(d) his REs.

guitfnky

25 Feb 2019

jam-s wrote:
25 Feb 2019
guitfnky wrote:
25 Feb 2019

The additional flak from people that complained about bugs in the forum only and supposedly not via the official bug reporting channels surely helped in leaving the RE platform.

It's a pity I like(d) his REs.
:thumbs_up:

I only have a couple, but Glitch is well-worth it for the tape-stop effect alone. otherwise it was the Kilohearts one, or use one of the 32 to 64-bit VST wrappers (which I have no interest in), and I wasn't about to drop $40 on an effect I'll use maybe every year or two. nice, no-frills stuff, for a good price.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Faastwalker

25 Feb 2019

Fantastic RE's. So much useful stuff & well priced, fantastic videos to go with just about every release. Missed :(

HeavyViper

25 Feb 2019

Yeah, it's unfortunate that he called it quits. I've used Chip64 and Glitch extensively in my tracks, and while I have nothing but glowing reviews for both of them, I do still get the occasional RE error with Chip64 in projects I've had open for a long time. I'd gladly pay a small fee for a few housekeeping patches to iron out some of the kinks, but eh, that's how it goes.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

sleep1979

26 Feb 2019

So is that carve that good for mixing without great mixing skills?

mjxl

26 Feb 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
26 Feb 2019
I was kinda wondering the same, i saw it get mentioned a couple of times already here and other topics.
Just checked out the videos, and it seems like a magical RE to use all the time?

PhillipOrdonez

26 Feb 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
26 Feb 2019
You still need mixing skills.

I don't have it but have considered buying it for the ease of use. Currently I use a dynamic eq vst for the purpose, but it would be a little easier to set up with carve I suppose.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2019

I always thought PH should have done a deal and added the A-Series as stock devices, great for learning about modualar setups.

Loque

27 Feb 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Feb 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
26 Feb 2019
You still need mixing skills.

I don't have it but have considered buying it for the ease of use. Currently I use a dynamic eq vst for the purpose, but it would be a little easier to set up with carve I suppose.
By the way Carve works it can change the overall sound more drastic than a wide dynamic EQ curve. It is very good to free up room in the frequency range for some side chain peak signals to allow the side chain signals cut through the mix. And always remember you can manipulate the side chain signal before you hook it up.
Reason12, Win10

RustyShakleforde

28 Feb 2019

Smiled when I seen this thread. I love Glitch. Use it all the time, thought for a while it must be too simple compared to expensive vsts etc, but with combinators and automation it can be as elaborate as you want. I find myself using on most of my work. usually not needing to add anything to it, just automate.

Enterface

25 Apr 2019

Even though Carve crashes every now and then, I still find myself using it in every project. Even when I could use FF Pro-Q3 to do the same thing (dynamic EQ ducking). Carve is just so quick and easy. Also, Repeat and Driver are both awesome as well.

+1 for the Ochen K. love.
Last edited by Enterface on 02 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reddust

26 Apr 2019

I only have Glitch so far but looking for more demos on his REs I'm very likely to get more in the near future. No matter if there are VSTs in Reason to me, it's about choosing the right tool and seems like Ochen K wrote a couple of very good ones :)

• Information