Idea for a new modular synth

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
RobBarnett

16 Jul 2019

What do you think, a modular synth RE based on a cross between Delta Midi Computer and Bitwig The Grid
Attachments
Bitwig_TheGrid02_1900-1024x565.jpg
Bitwig_TheGrid02_1900-1024x565.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Store_Image_1_tJPSC0J.png
Store_Image_1_tJPSC0J.png (43.98 KiB) Viewed 871 times

Loque

16 Jul 2019

It would be possible...Can i haz dat in fullsreen?
Reason12, Win10

Socram
RE Developer

16 Jul 2019

Its definitely on my radar, the technology behind Delta was written in such a way that its relatively agnostic to _what_ its modularity is controlling.

I also had an idea for a dedicated CV processing device, but it seems less and less people are getting their hands dirty with CV these days.

No ETA on any of this, but perhaps if I could team up with another RE dev with a bit more expertise in synthesis/DSP...
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

tibah

16 Jul 2019

Putting the whole grid from Bitwig 3, taking years of development, into one single RE? Sure! ;)

Why not use the tools that are currently available to the you/the world instead. Especially with Reason. Which is more about the sum of its parts, than one-to-do-it-all things.

Faastwalker

16 Jul 2019

Socram wrote:
16 Jul 2019
I also had an idea for a dedicated CV processing device, but it seems less and less people are getting their hands dirty with CV these days.
Delta CV processor??!

:mrgreen:

scratchnsnifff

16 Jul 2019

tibah wrote:
16 Jul 2019
Putting the whole grid from Bitwig 3, taking years of development, into one single RE? Sure! ;)

Why not use the tools that are currently available to the you/the world instead. Especially with Reason. Which is more about the sum of its parts, than one-to-do-it-all things.

Well, even though having a device per function kind of device is awesome and is very fitting!

The idea of all in one seems to push the RE platform

It’s a cool way to see what’s possible. I feel like it will be the devices that speak to the entire music community that will do the best. Not the single little devices (as great as they are)

I love when developers do the all in one, because I feel like there’s more of a chance that other developers get inspired :) and hopefully that leads to a big name wanting to step in.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

EnochLight

16 Jul 2019

tibah wrote:
16 Jul 2019
Because accurately modelling analog modular gear is not available to anyone/the world/Reason unless you are extremely versed in accurately modelling analog modular gear using computer code. ;) No one wants yet another ROMPLER, that's for sure.

With all due respect to Socram (Delta is freaking awesome, BTW), it takes a lot of work to properly emulate analog behavior in DSP, hence why Socram suggested partnering with a dev who is more versed in that sort of thing. I think that's a great idea, IMHO. Devs like U-He, Synapse Audio, and others have spent years perfecting their modelling skills. Even Roland's own ACB tech took a crap ton of work and effort, and they actually have possession of the original schematics for all of the gear they emulate!

@Socram: maybe reach out to Mattias, Cleas, and other Props and see if you can get them to bite. They seem to be open to partnering with RE devs for products, if the Prop-branded Players we've seen from Lectric Panda is anything to go by.

Or maybe Murf might be open to a collab? Not sure how his DSP modelling sounds, but it might be worth checking out. Not very inspired by his GUI/UX choices, and a Delta-esque approach would be perfect to fix that:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7513001
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Spaceship

16 Jul 2019

It wouldn’t have to be analog modeled.
I think it’s a good idea.

boingy

16 Jul 2019

The RE GUI limitations would make it a very frustrating experience, like standing outside your front door and trying to paint your hall through the letterbox. You'd be better off just buying Bitwig.

• Information