Robotic Bean -60% in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
huggermugger

07 Aug 2021

Mataya wrote:
07 Aug 2021
I was just about to take out my wallet. Thanks.

M
Right? I had a brief panic attack, and actually checked the Shop website to see what I could get so cheap. That said, i've got Sequences and Step already and others too. RB makes such great stuff.

huggermugger

07 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
07 Aug 2021
Just noticed something that needs changing in Sequences.

When you press the play button, the button graphic should change to a stop button and when pressed again, stops play and the graphic should change to a play button again or is this not do-able in the SDK? should also be the same if played through the daw and not pressed also.

Also, the note sounding when you click on it would be super handy.

Also, one lefty mouse click adds a note, one right click deletes.
The "Run" button illuminates during playback. That's enough for me, although it'd be nice if it glowed a colour other than white. But it's pretty obvious when the thing is running, there's plenty of activity in the main display area.
Last edited by huggermugger on 07 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

07 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
07 Aug 2021
When you press the play button, the button graphic should change to a stop button and when pressed again, stops play and the graphic should change to a play button again or is this not do-able in the SDK? should also be the same if played through the daw and not pressed also.
My problem with this approach is that the button no longer reflects the current state it is in - would be like an on/off button reading “off” when it’s on and “on” when it’s off…
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

07 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
07 Aug 2021
guitfnky wrote:
07 Aug 2021

needs changing? is it really that difficult to tell whether it’s playing or not? your speakers are on, right? :lol:
Totally missed the point.

It was in an aesthetic way. You press the play button again to stop it. You usually stop play with a stop icon / button so either change the button in both instances or add a stop button for this purpose but I suppose it was designed without a stop button for space purposes so my idea is the best solution.
yours is a solution in search of a problem. you already understand how it works, so unless you’re regularly blasting off into spectacular uncharted chemical dimensions and forgetting, I think you’ll probably manage okay without a “solution”.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

08 Aug 2021

guitfnky wrote:
07 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
07 Aug 2021

Totally missed the point.

It was in an aesthetic way. You press the play button again to stop it. You usually stop play with a stop icon / button so either change the button in both instances or add a stop button for this purpose but I suppose it was designed without a stop button for space purposes so my idea is the best solution.
yours is a solution in search of a problem. you already understand how it works, so unless you’re regularly blasting off into spectacular uncharted chemical dimensions and forgetting, I think you’ll probably manage okay without a “solution”.
Just seems odd to press a play button icon to stop it playing. If it was me who programmed it, provided the SDK allowed it, I'd change it.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

08 Aug 2021

selig wrote:
07 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
07 Aug 2021
My problem with this approach is that the button no longer reflects the current state it is in - would be like an on/off button reading “off” when it’s on and “on” when it’s off…
No, it would always display a stop icon when playing and a play icon when stopped whether playing when pressed or hitting space or play through the daw. That's what I meant.

artotaku

08 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
08 Aug 2021
selig wrote:
07 Aug 2021

No, it would always display a stop icon when playing and a play icon when stopped whether playing when pressed or hitting space or play through the daw. That's what I meant.
The play/stop behaviour/metaphor comes from a physical cassette player, that is what most users (at least the old farts that still remember this device) relate to and understand it as common knowledge. You have two buttons you can press. The play button did not just change its label to a stop one when it´s playing. It has to indicate that it is playing actually by show it in a pressed state though. So Sequences is also consistent to the Reason main sequencer play/stop buttons and other players.
It´s similar with the cart icon in an online shop. You don´t need a cart for a online shop but it is common knowledge amongst users that a cart refers to shopping where you can put items in.

Creativemind

08 Aug 2021

huggermugger wrote:
07 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
07 Aug 2021
Just noticed something that needs changing in Sequences.

Also, the note sounding when you click on it would be super handy.

Also, one lefty mouse click adds a note, one right click deletes.
The "Run" button illuminates during playback. That's enough for me, although it'd be nice if it glowed a colour other than white. But it's pretty obvious when the thing is running, there's plenty of activity in the main display area.
Yeah it does light up (illuminate) when active I suppose.

• Information