What are some of the old/retro sounding REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
15 Mar 2022
PolySix, maybe. In comparisons between (real) Juno 60 and PolySix, it is often mentioned that the Juno sounds more modern (as in eighties modern) and the PolySix has more of a seventies sound.

Also, just any synthesizer through an amp(sim), with a bit of tape-echo, will give you that 70's sound, as that is what they used to do back then :puf_bigsmile:
Watched a Polysix demo video. I don't know, just didn't feel that one.

But the tape-echo and amp sim bit might be worth investigating.

fullforce

19 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote:
14 Mar 2022
And as others have mentioned, JP stuff is also excellent.
Here's another JP fan. I think his effects are just the absolute best.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2022

I’ve got pretty much all JPs effects and a few of his organs and stuff. I don’t use the effects any more. Animus is great but I’ve grown apart from it. Really didn’t like his Leslie and Villanelle is limited (but good) as far as a wah goes. I do like the Organs and use those. The percussion thing is pretty good too.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Mar 2022
rootwheel wrote:
13 Mar 2022
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/granada/ this is a really nice RE with sounds from a rare Italian 70's-era portable analog synthesizer. Should be right up your street...
Interesting. Didn't even know this existed. I'll give it a spin.
Just tried this one out. I'm not really sure what to make of this one. Most of the included patches were absolutely terrible imo. But as I reset the device and loaded some of the selectable ambience samples things got a little more interesting. I could see myself using some of those in some tracks. But the more basic sound waves (sustain 1-9) I didn't think much of.
Wow what I confusing experience. Not what I was looking for for this type of project. But if it's ever on sale and I can get it at a low price I might pull the trigger.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2022

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still testing some things out that you guys have mentioned.

Just a question does anybody know if GForce ever put their REs on sale?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Mar 2022
Thanks for all the replies. I'm still testing some things out that you guys have mentioned.

They did a lot before they disappeared from RE development. I don’t think they care any more.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2022

MrFigg wrote:
23 Mar 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Mar 2022

They did a lot before they disappeared from RE development. I don’t think they care any more.
Yeah that's probably right. Thanks.

crimsonwarlock

23 Mar 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Mar 2022
I just assume they won't. I have bought Re-Strings a while back and will get the others when I have some cash to burn. I think they are reasonably priced anyway, not overly expensive.
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2022

mjxl wrote:
23 Mar 2022
No love for Obsession?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... obsession/
I tried it when it came out. I thought I would get it right away since I'm a big fan of Legend and Synapse in general. I did think Obsession sounded really good, but it just didn't have a sound that fit my music. I scrolled through all the patches and the type of sounds it generated just didn't inspire me to write music. I just didn't click with it. And I find Legend easier to work with as well. Feels more immediate, less optiony.

What I'm looking for here specifically is a less polished sound. If you listen to the two tracks I posted, they don't sound like Obsession at all. Obsession sounds too good. It shouldn't be too much of a "synthy" articial sound. JPS Harmonic Synth is right on that edge. But I feel like that one still has a more organic and old sound to it than most synths. SuperNova does too.
These sonic nuances are very hard to explain. It's a "I know it when I hear it" type of thing. It's like Obsession sounds good, but it has no charm. An instrument like SuperNova does.

dakta

23 Mar 2022

Good to hear some feedback on the obsession, was looking at it on the shop other day I was really really really tempted (still am to be fair)

crimsonwarlock

23 Mar 2022

dakta wrote:
23 Mar 2022
Good to hear some feedback on the obsession, was looking at it on the shop other day I was really really really tempted (still am to be fair)
I was also very tempted, but getting SAW-1 (on sale now) did cure my temptation for Obsession. They are definitely not the same, but for me, they do cover largely the same sonic territory. Listen to the Obsession demo video and after that listen to the SAW-1 preset demo videos.

I still might pick up Obsession somewhere in the future, but it has to come with a hefty discount :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

altron

24 Mar 2022

If we're counting in VSTs, too, here are my top recommendations:

Sonic Project OP-X Pro. This one takes the cake! This is in my opinion the pinnacle in VST classic analog synth emulations. It sounds amazing there are tons of preset banks that sound vintage and amazing.

Softube Model 84
Repro-5
Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V
TAL U-NO LX
KORG Wavestation and M1
Cherry Audio Quadra

The digital synths from Arturia are good, especially the new SQ80V

Free but great ones:

PG-8X
Full Bucket Music Tricent, Fury-800 and FB-7999
Trap is where music goes to die.

• Information