Request for a generative Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ambi

31 Mar 2023

Hello Reason Community.
I recently tried out a free generative VST Sequencer called Nova3 which is based on a plugin named Otomata. The way it works is very unique, fun to set up and watch. The idea behind it is just great.
I managed to get in run in Reason but the workaround is a little bit complicated and that's why I wanted to bring up the idea for some bored RE dev to make a clone of this. If done with some nice flashy graphics I'm sure many people would buy it.
What do you think?

huggermugger

01 Apr 2023

Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 10.36.10 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 10.36.10 AM.jpg (555.52 KiB) Viewed 513 times

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2023

Check out the rest of my channel, I have a number of video's doing Generative pieces.

Here is a more complex one..

ambi

01 Apr 2023

Thank you. I know all of them. They're great tools but I don't think that they're fun to use or very fun to look at. And if you want them to produce more than random noise, you have to invest quite a bit of time into them to learn how they work (especially PSQ and Life Generator). Setting them up correctly to produce something useful is also very time consuming.

The Vst that I mentioned on the other hand is very intuitive. You look at it and it takes you just a moment to realize how the concept works. It's easy to understand but it's still able to produce surprising and complex sequences. And on top it's really fun to work with and to look at.
There are many clones of this generative sequencer out there but unfortunately I can't remember the names of the good looking ones. I could only find Nova3 and Transition at plugins4free.com.

Here are a few links to show how the concept works:

I still think it would be a very popular RE for Reason and I would even program it myself if I had the time for it.

By the way: When I saw Life Generative Sequencer in the Reason Store for the first time I thought it was what I was looking for but sadly it turned out to be something totally different. Not my cup of tea but I really like the visual appearance of the Life Generative Sequencer. It comes very close to how I would imagine the RE that I requested to look like.

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
01 Apr 2023
Check out the rest of my channel, I have a number of video's doing Generative pieces.

Here is a more complex one..

Hey Poohbear, I know your channel of course. It's actually my favorite Reason Youtube channel and I learned a lot of useful stuff from you. Thank you for that! I even have some of your modules for Voltage Modular.

I know there're lot's of possibilities to make generative music in Reason but just like I told huggermugger before, the one that I mentioned is fun and can look really great in the rack (if done correctly). I thought that some RE developers here in the forum might be thankful for some inspiration. That's why I came here.
And of course I would love to see that player in my rack. I would be the first customer!

reasonosaer

01 Apr 2023

i'd quibble with the inclusion of QNG on a list of generative devices. i don't think we can have too many though, you can build fun semi-generative combinators or things to bolt onto the REs mentioned above out of things like the jiggery pokery ammo and alien seed tech psdn devices by combining them with math, logic, and probability things that are made by several devs. i like to build a big rube goldberg contraption with some very slow running envelopes involved and then come back in the morning or the next day and see what it's doing.

• Information