Re-Trials

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
huggermugger

23 Sep 2023

The trial system is great, but it'd sure be nice to have the option to do a "re-trial", perhaps after a certain amount of time has passed or in this case, when an RE has been updated. I trialled Life when it first came out, but passed. Now it's been updated with some very interesting enhancements. I'd love to re-trial it with those enhancements.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 7.07.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 7.07.49 PM.png (55.44 KiB) Viewed 3474 times

Neo

23 Sep 2023

+1
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Loque

24 Sep 2023

It's just 20 bucks. If you liked it a bit on release and you find the additions interesting, you now may like it even more.

While I agree to your request, you could just buy it or not since you have used your trial.
Reason12, Win10

Aosta

24 Sep 2023

There are a few I trialed but life got in the way and never got a chance to really dive in.
Tend the flame

Steedus
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2023

Agreed. In fact I worry about wasting trials so much, that unless I'm already 85-90% on board, I don't trial things at all, unless I'm absolutely ready to buy - kinda making the discovery of something new/unexpected aspect of demoing something almost non-existent.

It's definitely better than having NO trial option, but I do prefer the demos of VSTs that either insert noise or silence every few seconds or something but otherwise have no time limit.

DaveyG

25 Sep 2023

I think devs should have the power to reset trials when they release an update. Some REs develop significantly after first release so being able to re-trial something makes sense.

turn2on
RE Developer

25 Sep 2023

30 days trial is a huge period for testing any RE.
Problem not in 30-days trial period.
Problem more actual for RE that have major update (like update v. 2.0, 3.0) with huge improves and additions.
Users with trial end of v. 1.0, cant test newer versions like v.2.0

So, may be any major version update must have default trial-reset for users (that already use trial in v. 1.0).
This have logic.

But if user already finish test in 30 days trial, no real problems. One thing for this - understanding, that activating trial = hard limit of 30 day period only. Many companies have tests in 14 days, 10 days, 3 days.. it's also ok for tests.
RE have very good 30 days period.

So, yes, If somebody vote, we can vote for additional default trial of major update (like 2.0, 3.0..)
But I think this can be not 30-days period, enough few days (may be 3-5, if this is not first trial of RE)

From other side. This is a blackhole for Devs side. User can work with RE 30 days free. And later back with additional stage to finish project with newer version in additional 30 days. After what he can stop use it at all. Additional test period must be short, for real chance of test new update in short period, without long time loyalty (few days enough for real test).

But main 30 days trial is a great part of REs platform

Jackjackdaw

25 Sep 2023

I prefer the trials that timeout after 10 minutes but let you dip in whenever you feel like it. The thing I might not need today might be the perfect thing in 6 months time.

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2023

I think 30 day trials are generous enough but agree some form of trial reset would be beneficial for those re's that have significant version changes.

For me personally as long as the trial does not have annoying frequent white noise I am OK with most limitations for trials/demos.

Interestingly I trialled a vst fx recently that had an unlimited trial period but you could only have one version of the fx in your project. Struck me as open for abuse as you could use the plugin, render to audio and then open another copy of said fx on a different synth track etc.

For clarity I did buy the plugin and am not personally using the above hack but was surprised this option was there.

If the devs fine with the potential for the above it is cool though and as far as a demo goes I always prefer full functionality whilst demoing potential new gear.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2023

Overall I'm pretty happy with the current system of 30 days trials. If it wasn't for that rather long trial period I suspect we wouldn't have seen any of the Song Challenges here on RT, at least not nearly as many. It's enough time to make a tune with a RE and see how you like it.

Sure I wouldn't mind being able to re-trial some REs, especially if they've had significant updates, but overall I'm fine with the way it's set up right now.

Aosta

25 Sep 2023

What about a 30 day trial period but only when the RE is used either to make sounds or just sit in the rack, if it is loaded the clock is ticking like a stopwatch though 30 days is still generous in this scenario so maybe 10 days instead?
Tend the flame

ambi

26 Sep 2023

huggermugger wrote: ↑
23 Sep 2023
The trial system is great, but it'd sure be nice to have the option to do a "re-trial", perhaps after a certain amount of time has passed or in this case, when an RE has been updated. I trialled Life when it first came out, but passed. Now it's been updated with some very interesting enhancements. I'd love to re-trial it with those enhancements.
If you didn't like it before you will probably still not like it. There were no fundamental changes.

• Information