PX-7 Operators Must Need Additive Waveforms( Title Edited )

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
boobytrap

25 Jan 2015

PX-7 is 6 operators can provide nothing but sine wave.
Evan Ableton Operator can create custom waveforms using the waveform editor.FM-8, LinPlug Octopus, Image line Bio Hazard also can change different waveforms
But this classic DX-7 Clone is worthless for EDM, Dubstep or DnB.
PX-7 must need this upgrade 

Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Theo.M

25 Jan 2015

First time i have wanted to use the missing "down vote post" option. What a first post, so negative!
Let's look at the positive in this case..there are a LOT of sounds and refills for the PX7 that *sound* fantastic. So if it was worthless, how come there ARE such good sounds for it, and for EDM too? I am using it all the time, as are many others. It's a great*sounding* synth.... It's not always about features.. but results too... perhaps you are a hard core tweaker and for you ion that case it might not be suitable like FM8.. but it's a bit harsh to just generalise it as worthless. Anyway, welcome to Reasontalk! great place to be :)

madmacman

25 Jan 2015

boobytrap wrote: But this classic DX-7 Clone is worthless for EDM, Dubstep or DnB.
Answer already part of your statement: It's a clone of the classic DX7. Nothing more or less. And I suppose it was the original intention of the Props developers.

boobytrap

25 Jan 2015

Thank You Theo.M,

I know there's so many cool sounds for PX-7, also me use many of them, but i'm talking about the range of sounds Image 
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (17.92 KiB) Viewed 3901 times

boobytrap

25 Jan 2015

boobytrap wrote: But this classic DX-7 Clone is worthless for EDM, Dubstep or DnB.
madmacman wrote:
Answer already part of your statement: It's a clone of the classic DX7. Nothing more or less. And I suppose it was the original intention of the Props developers.
There were no dubstep & DnB in 80's
what was the purpose of DX-7 at that time ?

Pepin

25 Jan 2015

madmacman wrote:
boobytrap wrote:
boobytrap wrote:There were no dubstep & DnB in 80's

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say (are you asking a rhetorical question?) The DX7 was used on countless albums in many genres. It's one of the highest selling synths of all time. Maybe PX7 isn't the best synth for your style of music, but it's hardly worthless. I use it more than any other RE synth.

madmacman

25 Jan 2015

boobytrap wrote: There were no dubstep & DnB in 80's
No need for big red letters. When I bought my DX7 back in 1986, I loved it for sounding "different" than the competitors which were mostly classic analog (or I can remember the Korg DW-8000 with some more waveforms) at that time. DX7 was great for "metallic", bells, noises, sometimes even (more) Piano-like sounds. Overall "digital". We adored & admired Depeche Mode at that time at had the chance to imitate their metal noises & fx without expensive samplers. Even the bass sounds of the DX7 were great. I still love the e-bass or slap bass imitaions for their deep and punchy sound. 

I still have & use my DX7 (1st gen) so there's no need for me to buy the PX7. But I tried it and hink, Props made a good job.

Oh, and btw: For the past 2 years I was more into hardware (modular synthesizers) again. And many modular users spend many efforts to get a "pure" analog sine wave for proper FM. Other waveforms are considered to be disruptive for true FM sound. Something, a DX7 can deliver out of the box. So the "sine wave only" credo is disturbing for you, but essential for others.

atitlan

25 Jan 2015

You can derive the other waveforms from sine waves in FM.  The real difference with having them predefined is that you do not need to use multiple operators in order to create them.

To understand what you can achieve with PX7 you'd really need to deconstruct the patches in FM8 and understand where FM8 specific features are really being used.  The availability of multiple waveforms and filters, means that many of the sounds are actually a hybrid of subtractive and FM techniques.  

You also need to take into a account the fact that an FM8 patch will also be swathed in effects.

So for those sorts of sounds you should really be looking at a combinator, with a subtractive synth, PX7 and some effects.

It's probably worth exploring the FM options within Thor and then taking the FM element back out into PX7 for added flexibility.

boobytrap

25 Jan 2015

Hi Pepin,

Yes. i agree to you, you are correct about all thing DX-7. i was trying to say what if PX-7 Operator can provide even 4 fundamental  waves. like SAW,Square,Triangle With Sine.

Purpleb

25 Jan 2015

I respect boobytrap's opinion, but I dont agree with it being worthless.
Maybe he should have rephrased the topic a little.
I love the PX-7, one of my fav REs. I never owned a DX7 but wasn't it very hard to tweak too and not very tweaker friendly?

Bonkhead

25 Jan 2015

boobytrap wrote:
There were no dubstep & DnB in 80's

S O L I D  B A S S ...... nuff said  :s0230:

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2015

Mr Trap I think you are missing the point in a big way in that FM is about creating waveforms not having them there already. FM is additive (or multiplicative) as opposed to Subtractive. If you want Saws then use Thor. FM is a very different way of synthesizing and if you aren't ready for it or simply don't like it then that is ok. But as others have said please don't just come out and say it is crap, dumb etc. as that really does no more than make you look silly. Take some time to research Yamaha FM to understand it before you make such silly statements.

I haven't even Tried PX-7 but it is a clone of the classic DX-7 that was all over records in the 80's, 90's and even today. PX-7 is such a good clone it can also load genuine DX-7 patches. This is a strong feature.

For a while I owned a DX-100 (little brother 4 Op) and that was a fascinating synth but very hard to program compared even to my Casio CZ-1000 (Phase Distortion). I really only made a few sounds but those I used over and over. The DX-100 in particular graced many D&B/Jungle records for the fact the OSC were Sine waves so the Sub Basses were superb.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

normen

25 Jan 2015

What exactly would you do with different waveforms? I find it hard enough to think about what I'm doing in a FM synth with only sines :) And from what I get theres already loads of options to create waves with sines, to me its kind of the point of an FM synth.. Just like an additive synth with other waveforms would make few sense. Genuinely interested here, not trying to bash your post, can you explain what one does with different waveforms?

Android.DK

25 Jan 2015

boobytrap wrote:There were no dubstep & DnB in 80's
Thank God no!  :rofl:
"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.

:reason: :re:

boobytrap

25 Jan 2015

normen wrote:What exactly would you do with different waveforms? I find it hard enough to think about what I'm doing in a FM synth with only sines :) And from what I get theres already loads of options to create waves with sines, to me its kind of the point of an FM synth.. Just like an additive synth with other waveforms would make few sense. Genuinely interested here, not trying to bash your post, can you explain what one does with different waveforms?
Most of Dubstep and DnB users use FM-8 for make DROP section. in theory Frequency Modulation is SINE, when John M Chowning who Found in 1967. that's the theory of DX-7. But after that it's modified with time. it's comes with time and new genres.  FM-8 is an example for that. the most wanted FM vst in the world at this time. after many great FM vst's propllerhead made PX-7 with with out that modifications. they use only SINE wave like 56 years old theory. that's brings us to back in time. if they rename that PX-7 to "copy of DX-7" that make sense.  
honestly i'm not a professional sound engineer or music maker. i expect to make hard Dubstep Growl Bass drops in easy way. 

and i use a word call "Worthless".  i did not wish to insult PX-7. PX-7 was top RE in my wish list past time until last black Friday. and i also like it. if i don't like why i bought it. if my topic headline make PX-7 users  upset i'm sorry for that. 
but i'm still with my waveforms option. i'd like to move with time....... 

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2015

I really like px7, and part of what i like about it is it's resemblance to DX7, the way it was layered and the fact it translates SO well to DX7 patches.

I wouldn't mind having the possibilities of using different waves as operators, thought. Make it a bit more like FM8, whiteout extra effects.

IMHO we could have a nice upgrade for PX7, with a nice mono input per operator, and then you could use any reason source as an oscilator of modulator (thor wavetables, nn-xt audio, etc). It would make the unit more versatile and keep the "modular" reason way of doing things!

jfrichards

25 Jan 2015

MOTORCYCLES ARE WORTHLESS !!!  What happens when you need to go pick up lumber or go to COSTCO ????  :s0230:

Is this the dub drop version of forum communication?  Personally, I love great dub drops, but the methods don't migrate well into everyday conversation.

joeyluck

25 Jan 2015

normen wrote:What exactly would you do with different waveforms? I find it hard enough to think about what I'm doing in a FM synth with only sines :) And from what I get theres already loads of options to create waves with sines, to me its kind of the point of an FM synth.. Just like an additive synth with other waveforms would make few sense. Genuinely interested here, not trying to bash your post, can you explain what one does with different waveforms?
boobytrap wrote:Most of Dubstep and DnB users use FM-8 for make DRuOP section. in theory Frequency Modulation is SINE, when John M Chowning who Found in 1967. that's the theory of DX-7. But after that it's modified with time. it's comes with time and new genres.  FM-8 is an example for that. the most wanted FM vst in the world at this time. after many great FM vst's propllerhead made PX-7 with with out that modifications. they use only SINE wave like 56 years old theory. that's brings us to back in time. if they rename that PX-7 to "copy of DX-7" that make sense.  
honestly i'm not a professional sound engineer or music maker. i expect to make hard Dubstep Growl Bass drops in easy way. 

and i use a word call "Worthless".  i did not wish to insult PX-7. PX-7 was top RE in my wish list past time until last black Friday. and i also like it. if i don't like why i bought it. if my topic headline make PX-7 users  upset i'm sorry for that. 
Check out NucleusSoundLab's "Neo DX" ReFill. I think you'll find some patches you like. The thing is, most of the patches you hear with the PX7 are those from the days of the DX7. Doesn't mean more 'modern' sounds aren't possible. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and inspired...

tibah

25 Jan 2015

You know, there is probably a reason why the name PX7 is that familiar to its hardware counterpart. ;)  It's meant to be a recreation, nothing more, nothing less.

You do have Parsec in your signature. It can be a playground for sounds no one else used so far, but again, it's using boring sine waves. ;)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2015

boobytrap wrote:(...)

I don't think PX7 can feel insulted... :)
I think there is more to the PX7 than the opperators itself. For instance, i don't think you have any device in reason with the same kind of Envelopes.

Meanwhile, you can give a little try on Etch Red, it can do FM with any source over any source.

normen

25 Jan 2015

boobytrap wrote: Most of Dubstep and DnB users use FM-8 for make DROP section. in theory Frequency Modulation is SINE, when John M Chowning who Found in 1967. that's the theory of DX-7. But after that it's modified with time. it's comes with time and new genres.  FM-8 is an example for that. the most wanted FM vst in the world at this time. after many great FM vst's propllerhead made PX-7 with with out that modifications. they use only SINE wave like 56 years old theory. that's brings us to back in time. if they rename that PX-7 to "copy of DX-7" that make sense.  

Of course the PX-7 is a "copy" of the DX-7, it says so in the manual even..

So you can't explain what you want to do with the additional waveforms? Sad as I would have liked to know what people do with other waveforms and why it couldn't be done with sines.. As others said, maybe you just need to get another set of presets for the PX-7 then, I guess you underestimate what one can do with the existing options already. Or look at the Exode DubStep refill, it makes "hard Dupstep Growl Bass" all without FM synthesis..

I still don't get how you can say that you can make these easily with FM-8 yet not be able to explain HOW you would do them. The greatest advantage of the FM-8 is mainly that it has more operators and more combinations of the operators plus more modulation and FX options. You can recreate that in Reason with other devices and Combinators.. Still it all feels a bit as if you're saying "this guy can't be able to shoot, he's not even wearing a cowboy hat"..

bitley

25 Jan 2015

Major troll thread. Move out folks.

Shokstar

25 Jan 2015

boobytrap wrote: PX-7 is 6 operators can provide nothing but sine wave.
Evan Ableton Operator can create custom waveforms using the waveform editor.FM-8, LinPlug Octopus, Image line Bio Hazard also can change different waveforms
But this classic DX-7 Clone is worthless for EDM, Dubstep or DnB.
PX-7 must need this upgrade 
LOL that´s not true, it makes more sense to use a synth like the PX-7 for Dubstep sounds instead of normal synths like subtractor etc. because you can use the brigthness fader to get great result out of your instrument. also is it in the most cases the processing chain that makes the real gritty dirty dubstep sound possible. A synth with a included FX is a help but not the yellow of the egg. FM-8 and some other Fm synths has more possibilities but you forgot something: THIS IS REASON! (and now you should hear the kick from Leonidas) :P  

jfrichards

25 Jan 2015

bitley™ wrote:Major troll thread. Move out folks.
His signature looks so familiar...

• Information