Design a synth UI

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

16 Jul 2015

I'm not an industrial nor interface designer...
But here are some thoughts while looking over the thread and checking out some of Ochen's other synth products...

In regards to his previous design and color choices I feel that the original "undesigned" image is a nice continuation of that heritage.

So here's my take on the undesigned synth...

D.
Attachments
Ochen's synth_large_eu.jpg
Ochen's synth_large_eu.jpg (540.86 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

boobytrap

16 Jul 2015

eusti wrote:I'm not an industrial nor interface designer...
But here are some thoughts while looking over the thread and checking out some of Ochen's other synth products...

In regards to his previous design and color choices I feel that the original "undesigned" image is a nice continuation of that heritage.

D.
That's what i'm talking about the displays. but still same MAKE & MODEL. Like This
terminals_5.jpg
terminals_5.jpg (67.3 KiB) Viewed 1826 times

How about This
tele.jpg
tele.jpg (20.54 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

boobytrap

16 Jul 2015

Lizard wrote:
boobytrap wrote: Same Make ! Same Model ! New Paint.
i suggest new name for your Design " Chameleon RE "
Ahhhh!!!! Original! ..... or not.... Seems someone stole your idea a few years ago. ;)

Joking aside.... it kept me busy for a few hours. I looked at it as a skinning project. I hope to see a lot of other ideas. Redesigns and skinning.
just kidding :D i'm expecting a VECTOR design.....
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

jfrichards

16 Jul 2015

eusti wrote:...So here's my take on the undesigned synth...
D.
Damnation Dirk, I feel like I'm back at my workbench in Palo Alto. Very cool.

joeyluck

16 Jul 2015

eusti wrote:In regards to his previous design and color choices I feel that the original "undesigned" image is a nice continuation of that heritage.

D.
My favorite so far

eusti

16 Jul 2015

Thanks, John and Joey! Appreciated! Gonna take another look at some old lab equipment and see what can be tweaked more...

D.

pjeudy

16 Jul 2015

Nirude wrote:Thanks Pjeudy and others, I will change it tomorrow like eXode suggested, I will also do a second color variation.
I can do also a third like Pjeudy suggested.
Here is the same but not so much photoshopping and in 3k, right-click view image to see bigger.
Nirude I like this one a lot more then the first...only because it feels and looks more solid without the white glowing highlight. I'm not saying that I like the current color or don't like it....My comment is only on the solidness I feel it looks right now without the white Photoshop highlight Glow! really looks more realistic :thumbs_up:

Joey also made the point that this device could have some uniqueness to it...... can you look through some of the other synth in the shop..and model a different looking knobs (that are not in the shop) ?
I'm sure that Joey was referring to more then just a knob, but one could start the change there !?! Take a look at what Zvork did for OBERON ..there are no knobs like those in the shop ! **Not the sliders just the knobs**

Also onother idea (maybe someone else can do this one) how about a difrent color or a darker shade for each section of this divice ? for example
This synth is not just one white solid color but each section has a blue area to them !( the colored sections can be any color or just a lighter or darker shade)

Also I think a good Font can go along way ! If OchenK had a final name for it that could also bring it all together and generate some ideas. 2 cent
Last edited by pjeudy on 16 Jul 2015, edited 2 times in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

zeebot

16 Jul 2015

This ^ with a white/ish background and the panels blue like the arrangement in the virus pic would look excellent! :cool:
Would fit in with the feel of Ochen's other devices.
I'm wondering, has anyone had a go at the back of the synth yet? I might have missed a post.
Last edited by zeebot on 16 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

normal

16 Jul 2015

I like the original plastic look, so this is mostly a quick recolor based on computers of yore, with the display panels attempting to evoke old monochrome monitors. I tried to add a bit of surface texture, to hopefully resemble the surface of older computer cases. Other people have done much better : )

joeyluck

16 Jul 2015

The buttons, knobs, and color of nirude's remind me of the JP-8080. Which is a synth I enjoy. And it is definitely great rendering work. I just feel it strays too far from the original concept which I feel is a great one. If everyone completely reimagines the synth, we could be here forever before the alpha is even finished lol. I'd like to see what he can do using the original concept :)

pjeudy

16 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:I'd like to see what he can do using the original concept :)
Actually OchenK has his hands full...there are many more options for him to choose from with the Original concept:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/175 ... lizard.png
http://reasontalk.com/download/file.php?id=2363666
http://reasontalk.com/download/file.php?id=2363667
http://i59.tinypic.com/fx8ge8.jpg
Last edited by pjeudy on 16 Jul 2015, edited 2 times in total.
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

zeebot

16 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:The buttons, knobs, and color of nirude's remind me of the JP-8080. Which is a synth I enjoy. And it is definitely great rendering work. I just feel it strays too far from the original concept which I feel is a great one. If everyone completely reimagines the synth, we could be here forever before the alpha is even finished lol. I'd like to see what he can do using the original concept :)
I dont think there was an original concept. Ochen said designers can do what they want. I think people are boxing themselves in by sticking to the format he uploaded.

From the first post...

"Okay folks, as first talked about in this thread, I'm working on a new synth. The functionality is almost done, but it doesn't have a design yet, just a layout. In the real world, now would be the time to design the silkscreen image that's printed on the case.

A number of people have expressed, publicly in forums and privately to me, an interest in designing RE UIs. Coming up with an original design is a very different process from redesigning a pre-existing RE or recreating one in 3D. But unless you're already developing REs, you don't normally get a chance to think up the first design. So here's your chance.

To be extra clear, I am not looking for someone to design my synth for me. I'm making no promise to use anyone's design as the actual design for the synth upon release. This is just an opportunity to try your hand at designing, instead of redesigning, and then I hope you share your design with the community here. That being said, I haven't done the actual device design yet, but when I do, I may consider whatever designs are posted here. If I want to use your design, I'll reach out and see if we can work something out. But no promises.

So here are the rules: There are no rules. This is just for fun, so do whatever you want."

They really are crap.

pjeudy

16 Jul 2015

zeebot wrote:I dont think there was an original concept. Ochen said designers can do what they want. I think people are boxing themselves in by sticking to the format he uploaded.
Good point.

joeyluck

16 Jul 2015

pjeudy wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I'd like to see what he can do using the original concept :)
Actually OchenK has his hands full...
I'm referring to nirude ;)

joeyluck

16 Jul 2015

zeebot wrote:
joeyluck wrote:The buttons, knobs, and color of nirude's remind me of the JP-8080. Which is a synth I enjoy. And it is definitely great rendering work. I just feel it strays too far from the original concept which I feel is a great one. If everyone completely reimagines the synth, we could be here forever before the alpha is even finished lol. I'd like to see what he can do using the original concept :)
I dont think there was an original concept. Ochen said designers can do what they want. I think people are boxing themselves in by sticking to the format he uploaded.
I guess I interpreted that message differently based on the first sentence:

"The functionality is almost done, but it doesn't have a design yet, just a layout. In the real world, now would be the time to design the silkscreen image that's printed on the case."

In regards to changing the layout, he had this to say:

"You can do whatever you want. Obviously when I finally implement the device design, I'll very likely stick with the current layout, but you never know. ;)"

It sounds like he is open to changing the layout, but certainly it would be more work. And many people do like the original layout...

eusti

16 Jul 2015

OK. Not much different, just updated the sliders... Not quite what I had in mind, but what I could pull off... :P
I've found a new appreciation for the GUI designers!

D.
Last edited by eusti on 20 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

16 Jul 2015

Nirude wrote:So like, without further ado, I give you, the one and only, but with heavy photoshoppin´:
aega.jpg
Please Gentlemen, hold your orgasms :)
> right click image > view image - to see it a bit bigger

Seriously - this layout is awesome - nice work man! I also like the bigger Oscillator display on your idea.
:thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

snowcattt

17 Jul 2015

Impressive interpretations. I love the community participation in here.

I think my favorite synth look is the Roland System-1 (plug-out) - - black and white and specifically, the glowing dark green. I don't have the talent to design a synth, but I would buy this just because of the "Green Hornet" looks.

Good job already, people. Carry on...

Invent the life you want to live.

ebop

17 Jul 2015

Eusti, I like yours the best. I also like your OchenK logo 'Ok' which is clever on a few levels. One thing though, I'm not digging the 1980s molded plastic look on the original. All I can think of is bleeps and bloops. Anyone doing a flat Valhalla style mock up?

satyr32

17 Jul 2015

Developed a bit further. I would like if the OSC Section has a different color from the rest, just so you have focus on the most important element.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmyy5mjxl4q6o ... 3.png?dl=0
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Nirude

17 Jul 2015

Sorry to flood but here are two different color-versions with the same 3D-model:
aega-wb.jpg
aega-wb.jpg (435.94 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
aega-gpy.jpg
aega-gpy.jpg (455 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
I can and I believe I will modify the 3D-model as JiggeryPokery and Selig commented - But only if I have time, I strongly believe this weekend our son will be born. But the idea of the molded plastic-look, sorry to say but I didn't like it so much -BUT- (a very strong but): the design by Eusti is great :o . If OchenK wants to keep the molded plastic-look, I´ll vote for Eustis design.
My flat-design comes from the words: No rules :puf_smile:
3d man.

pjeudy

17 Jul 2015

WOW....!!!!!!!!!!

zeebot

17 Jul 2015

The version with the white background would be my vote!! Fantastic! I would love to have that device in my rack.
I'm sure Ochen said in his video that the device as it is now in alpha is just something he knocked together so he could simply work on the functionality of the synth. I was guessing it was more to show would be participants what the synth comprises of functionality wise (filter/lfo/matrix etc) and the panes with the osc/env stuff.

They really are crap.

satyr32

17 Jul 2015

hmm eusti. i am not really a fan of the old hp printer logo rip-off. don't know if you did that intentionally or not. but otherwise i like the cleanness.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

JoshuaPhilgarlic

17 Jul 2015

Nirude wrote:Sorry to flood but here are two different color-versions with the same 3D-model: ...:
I'll buy the blue one :) !

• Information