Design a synth UI

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eXode

18 Jul 2015

Nirude wrote:hahahah Pjeudy. Why not, Easy to do if I only see what will be the default positions for the knobs. Now they are all pointing up.
Meanwhile in Finland:

I modified the layout a bit like Selig & JiggeryPokery wrote. And if someone says there is no sliders on the Osc Mixer, I´ll say they are
touch screens :lol:
The renderings are 3000pix wide so open in new tab or something and zooooooom in.
Excellent, but now I think that the Oscillator and Envelope sections are too tight/close to the middle section. The space/gap between the different blue sections needs to be consistent, imho. The general design is great though. :)

boobytrap

18 Jul 2015

jfrichards wrote:Kinda fun to see several in the rack

Now You Done It
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

tiker01

18 Jul 2015

Nirude wrote:hahahah Pjeudy. Why not, Easy to do if I only see what will be the default positions for the knobs. Now they are all pointing up.
Meanwhile in Finland:
aega-wb2.jpg
aega-wb3.jpg
I modified the layout a bit like Selig & JiggeryPokery wrote. And if someone says there is no sliders on the Osc Mixer, I´ll say they are
touch screens :lol:
The renderings are 3000pix wide so open in new tab or something and zooooooom in.
Filters and FLO labels went missing during the reorganisation. It was better with them.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Massimo

18 Jul 2015

Hi (-;

I should have published this days before...but I was quite busy and could only manage to complete the model this morning.
Nothing new here...I basically followed the design proposed by Nirude...which I really like and thinking he has done a really great job.
Just added few small changes as suggested by other members and combined with a 3D like tilted panel.

MAx

MirEko

18 Jul 2015

Wow some cool ones here, but I also must say that I'm really liking the original moulded plastic look too. It reminds me of a labatory and oscilloscopes and all those cool things :D

Also that was really cool seeing that Hp logo on a osc! Never knew about that! I only ever knew them as a printer and computer company
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

joeyluck

18 Jul 2015

Massimo wrote:Hi (-;

I should have published this days before...but I was quite busy and could only manage to complete the model this morning.
Nothing new here...I basically followed the design proposed by Nirude...which I really like and thinking he has done a really great job.
Just added few small changes as suggested by other members and combined with a 3D like tilted panel.

MAx
Was there an image that was supposed to accompany this?

zero01101

18 Jul 2015

i swear to god i'm working on this, damned if i can't get something in by the 20th. it's untextured but i seriously only started this morning D:

TIL sketchup. like literally, i've never really used 3d compositing anything before :D

Massimo

18 Jul 2015

Sorry...something went wrong while I attached the files (-;
VIEW-1.jpg
VIEW-1.jpg (173.04 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
VIEW-2.jpg
VIEW-2.jpg (147.43 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

joeyluck

19 Jul 2015

Wow. That is slick. While I'm still partial to the original, this presents a cool, unique look. I think the volume knob should be bigger and make use of the empty space in the upper right-hand corner.

Curious if this is selected, how that would work for this challenge—since it's inspired by another user's design? But this is exactly what I was suggesting with nirude's submission—if completely changing the layout and look, still seeking to offer something that makes it unique... I feel this does just that.

If these alternative layouts aren't used, both you and nirude need to hang onto your design concepts for other synths ;)
Massimo wrote:Sorry...something went wrong while I attached the files (-;
VIEW-1.jpg
VIEW-2.jpg

Massimo

19 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:Wow. That is slick. While I'm still partial to the original, this presents a cool, unique look. I think the volume knob should be bigger and make use of the empty space in the upper right-hand corner.

Curious if this is selected, how that would work for this challenge—since it's inspired by another user's design? But this is exactly what I was suggesting with nirude's submission—if completely changing the layout and look, still seeking to offer something that makes it unique... I feel this does just that.

If these alternative layouts aren't used, both you and nirude need to hang onto your design concepts for other synths ;)
Massimo wrote:Sorry...something went wrong while I attached the files (-;
VIEW-1.jpg
VIEW-2.jpg

Ahah :D
Thanks!

But I am just happy and busy with furniture design...even if this was a nice exercise.
As I said, I am really adding little to what was already there in terms of design and layout...a sort of "frankenstein" experiment from Nirude`s great design, my great Panorama P6 in front of my eyes...and a bit of Dune2 :shock:

Massimo

19 Jul 2015

VIEW-1_VAR.jpg
VIEW-1_VAR.jpg (174.82 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

joeyluck

19 Jul 2015

Massimo wrote: Ahah :D
Thanks!

But I am just happy and busy with furniture design...even if this was a nice exercise.
As I said, I am really adding little to what was already there in terms of design and layout...a sort of "frankenstein" experiment from Nirude`s great design, my great Panorama P6 in front of my eyes...and a bit of Dune2 :shock:
Ahh I see it now—the Panorama's casing, Dune2's knobs...
And with nirude's layout—you're the king of GUI mashups! :puf_smile:

I know Ochen says he wants to stay clear of GUIs inspired by other GUIs, but a few changes could be made to yours such as different knobs if it came down to that. The casing I don't see as an issue as it isn't inspired by software or a hardware synth for that matter—but rather a controller... You could also keep it a secret ;) Lol

I think whether it's intentionally inspired by or subconsciously inspired by, it's hard to avoid influences.
For instance, folks already have things in which to compare Ochen's layout and nirude's original reminds me vaguely of the JP-8080 (knobs, buttons, and color)

Curious now to see your furniture!

Benedict
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2015

Massimo, that update to Nirude's work is great. Clean, modern and feels very suited to Reason.

Ochen, give the guys a synth each :puf_wink:

I'm sorry not to have played but if you need Patches then I am here.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

ebop

19 Jul 2015

Good work Massimo. I like the colours in the 3D render very much. And I agree with Benedict that your 2D version is very clean looking.

decibel

19 Jul 2015

so when is the dealine ? might make a few tweeks on the one i did earlier in the week, its different enough to everything else here so it might have a chance ? ;)

joeyluck

19 Jul 2015

The first post gave a deadline of July 20. We'll see what happens. Not sure if some folks might have made submissions directly...

decibel

19 Jul 2015

oh well, fuck it, may as well upload the son of a batch and see how it go's ? :) lol

ladies and gents i introduce to you, the new wave shaping synth from ochen k

TSUNAMI 0.1
Attachments
tsunami in rack final 0.1.jpg
tsunami in rack final 0.1.jpg (779.28 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Last edited by decibel on 19 Jul 2015, edited 3 times in total.

decibel

19 Jul 2015

also did one with screws in correct position, but they looked shit. heres one with out the wave artwork for those who like things nice and clean
Attachments
tsunami in rack preview 0.2.jpg
tsunami in rack preview 0.2.jpg (748.15 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

joeyluck

19 Jul 2015

decibel wrote:also did one with screws in correct position, but they looked shit. heres one with out the wave artwork for those who like things nice and clean
I actually like the wave. That's honestly the way to do it if using an image—with very little or no color saturation and low opaqueness. Subtle and a nice touch!

If going for a retro look, I prefer the screens and fonts on eusti's. The screen color and font you have incorporated makes me think retro software rather than retro hardware.

I also like your layout. You maintained the plastic molded look while also removing some busyness of the casing.
However, not sure about the layout/flow of things on yours... and the knobs around the modulation matrix and the effects below it are a bit confusing.

Perhaps try rearranging things? Your layout and reimagining of the plastic mold could lend a suggestion to those who ditched this look (as it gives room for some of the other layouts that have been proposed).

Maybe a suggestion: If you like blue, maybe lose the blue on the screens and use blue as backgrounds for sections (to break things up)? ;)

decibel

19 Jul 2015

i recon you should do one mate :)

sdst
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2015

Massimo wrote:
VIEW-1_VAR.jpg
man this is the cheese, just change a little the blue color reminds me a synapse synth

decibel

19 Jul 2015

its pretty good but maybe if you change the colour of the coffee stain and move a little to left it will look better yeah :) lol

satyr32

19 Jul 2015

The Tsumani thing is great, but without the image, because it makes it look cheesy and cheap. Massimos attempt is also nice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

riemac

19 Jul 2015

I like massimos design the most of all. It is very modern and clear.
And the higher plastic look fits well with the other synths from ochenk.

Please take this version for the release!!!

• Information