Nostromo Synth is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Revise

05 Jun 2016

This looks amazing.

Faastwalker

05 Jun 2016

Holy guacamole!! This looks & sounds amazing. A very busy GUI but it looks extremely well laid out. Superb. Really interested in the oscillator design. Very cool. Looks like it's going to be shed hot for all kinds of interesting textures & effects. Right up my street this one. Can't wait to TRY.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

05 Jun 2016

Don't bother with grainy screen shots, here is Lectric Panda LLC's Nostromo Spectrum Table Synth in all it's glory. Coming early next week to the Propellerhead Software shop.

Also, join the Reasonistas and Lectric Panda Nostromo Song Challenge, which begins as soon as the synth hits the shop. The rules and prizes will be announced soon.

Lectric Panda - Nostromo - Front.jpg
Lectric Panda - Nostromo - Front.jpg (138.54 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Lectric Panda - Nostromo - Back.jpg
Lectric Panda - Nostromo - Back.jpg (55.93 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
ImageImage

Skullture

05 Jun 2016

I can see a lot of possibilities here, nice one :o

EDIT: what would the intro price be?

Zac

05 Jun 2016

rcbuse wrote:Updated with video

WOW! This looks like it's going to be so powerful. What an amazing video, really well done. Sounds... off the chart.

decibel

05 Jun 2016

its all part of a big conspiracy to keep reason users financially challenged yeah :) lol

Breach The Sky

05 Jun 2016

I'm thinking next gen Malmström here, it reminds me of it. And the sound! Just wow (again).

Also bonus points for the use of Nostromos interior color scheme in the GUI (If that was deliberate).

Olivier

05 Jun 2016

I've been one of the lucky ones to betatest this synth.
The sonic palette on Nostromo is quite amazing. The thing i like about it a lot is how organic it can sound. Plenty of ways to add all kinds of subtle movement to your sound. Highly recommended!
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

WongoTheSane

05 Jun 2016

Here are a few demos, made during the beta-test period.

This one uses only Nostromos, without any additional effects (delay and reverb are from the synth itself), without mixing or mastering except for a very light Master compression. 9 raw Nostromos in all (most sounds from the stock patches). It's in the Glitch/Soundtrack/I'm having fun with my new synth genre.

This one is a note-for-note cover of Philip Glass's Koyaanisqatsi, which I made because I was working on organ sounds. There are only 4 Nostromos playing 3 parts, without any additional effects, and a vocal sample (my voice, heavily transformed). All sounds from the stock patches. The genre is, er... Philip Glass. As I don't have the rights and it's only a technical demo, I had to mark the song as private, so you'll have to copy/paste the url (embedding of a private track doesn't work here):

soundcloud.com/wongothesane/koyaanisqatsi/s-CTIpB

And here's the last one: only Nostromos synths (12 of them) playing all the sounds, but this time I went all in with the effects. All percs (except kicks) are made with JP's Republik Handheld Percussion. Of particular interest: during the first minute or so, there are only two notes playing at the same time, modulated by the incredible self-oscillating AM/RM filter and a comb filter (not external, Nostromo's own filters). Then, from 2:30 up until the end, I fed all non-perc sounds to the Audio In of a Nostromo and played with the Comb- and AM/RM filters to get the sweeping, wooshing, washing sounds. Most of the sounds used are from the stock patches. Kinda Trancey.

There is absolutely no way to showcase the full capabilites of this synth in just a few songs, so take this as a short demo, not a full review!

tibah

05 Jun 2016

Noel G. wrote:
tibah wrote:And there is already a SC group for the song challenge! ;)
Damn you tibah!!!!! :lol: :thumbs_up:
Sorry! ;) 2nd thing hitting my eyes after going to Lectric Panda's SC to listen to the demos.

Off to watch the video!

This looks delicious! :D

submonsterz

05 Jun 2016

Looks and sounded nice and versatile untill i listened again carefully to the demos the bass demo just turned me off :(.
Either bad patch design on some of them or it has a serious click and pop problem going on there ???
What cpu hit is this giving anyone ??

riemac

05 Jun 2016

Looks very nice.
Are there tables for basic waveformes like saw, square and sine?

WongoTheSane

05 Jun 2016

riemac wrote:Looks very nice.
Yes. There are 2200+ waveforms in all, sorted into categories, among which is the "Basic" one:
waveforms.JPG
waveforms.JPG (15.76 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
The first one is a saw, the second one is a sine and the third is a square. Note that on these thumbnails, each vertical line represents a harmonic of the fundamental tone, so you can visually check the harmonic content of a particular wave (ba1 has all harmonics, ba2 has just the fundamental, and ba3 yields only odd harmonics).

riemac

05 Jun 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
riemac wrote:Looks very nice.
Yes. There are 2200+ waveforms in all, sorted into categories, among which is the "Basic" one:
waveforms.JPG
The first one is a saw, the second one is a sine and the third is a square. Note that on these thumbnails, each vertical line represents a harmonic of the fundamental tone, so you can visually check the harmonic content of a particular wave (ba1 has all harmonics, ba2 has just the fundamental, and ba3 yields only odd harmonics).
That's great, thank you for the answere.

joeyluck

05 Jun 2016

I had the privilege of helping beta test this. I found it to be very efficient on CPU.

It is a game changer for me.
Never have I found a synth to be so inspiring to program and easy to get amazing results; both in terms of target sounds and unique sounds and surprises. You can get great sounds right out of the box by just scratching the surface...and there are plenty of options to dive deep in design. I find the UI to be very intuitive as well.

Also, the presets by Rob are a sound design accomplishment. So many and all so good! And the patches by others are great as well :)

rcbuse
RE Developer

05 Jun 2016

submonsterz wrote:Either bad patch design on some of them or it has a serious click and pop problem going on there ???
I'll have to revisit some of those patches and get the attack slightly off 0ms or turn the osc sync on.

Melody303

05 Jun 2016

Far out. That's an awesome overview video.
I was planning to get Vecto for pad synth duties the next time a sale comes around, and already bought Mixfood Unison as an awesome pad synth. Nostromo has a large chance of supplanting those, or at least complimenting them.

A couple of questions to sate the curiosity until it's out in the wild:
Is the filter unique, and if so, how?
What's the maximum decay on the reverb?
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Loque

05 Jun 2016

Will there be a intro price or a special customer offer?
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

05 Jun 2016

Melody303 wrote:Far out. That's an awesome overview video.
I was planning to get Vecto for pad synth duties the next time a sale comes around, and already bought Mixfood Unison as an awesome pad synth. Nostromo has a large chance of supplanting those, or at least complimenting them.

A couple of questions to sate the curiosity until it's out in the wild:
Is the filter unique, and if so, how?
What's the maximum decay on the reverb?
I've just tried setting the reverb at max settings (longest decay, no damping, 4.5x size, 100% wet) and played a single note: it's still going, albeit faintly, after 8 minutes!

The filters (there are two of them, which can be used either in parallel or serial) are multimode. The Pass modes are analog modeled ZDF, tapped 4 pole topology:

- LP6, LP12, LP18, LP24
- HP6, HP12, HP18, HP24
- BP12, BP18+, BP18-, BP24 (BP18+ means 18dB/oct on the low side and 12dB/oct on the high side, while BP18- is 12dB/oct on the low side and 18dB/oct on the high side)
- Comb+, Comb- (saturating comb with either positive or negative feedback)
- AM/RM

This last one is the real killer IMHO. At low values, it works on modulating the amplitude, and gradually switches to Ring Mod at high values. Coupled with the Freq settings, you get incredible effects: saturation, sweeps, feedback effects, etc. I'm not 100% sure it's unique (I don't have all the filters in the Shop to compare) but I hadn't heard anything like it before, personally.

The filters (and the delay and reverb) can be used with external sound sources by using the Audio In. Audio can be routed through either filters through a fader.

esselfortium

05 Jun 2016

Holy wow. It takes a lot for a new synth to get me excited, and the overview video for Nostromo has impressed the hell out of me. Looks powerful and very unique. Awesome work!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Lizard

05 Jun 2016

I love Nostromo. It is a well laid out synth and find it easy to navigate like Subtractor and Thor. The multitude of waveforms pretty much offer the more familiar tones of typical subtractive synthesis, FM, granular waveforms, chip tones and variations on many natural instruments such as saxophone, violin and guitar. There is so much more than that. The greatest ability I find in this synth is its ability of movement from one waveform to another. It isn’t just a simple sweep from one to the other. There are tons of options within the sweep that give it continually evolving tones such as the sweep pattern, start phase of sweep and rate of which it changes. They can be morphing between each other or very quickly changing to help develop very nice rhythmic patterns. All this can happen on each of the three oscillators allowing for some very wild variations. Or.... It can be as simple as you want it to be. Just a simple lead or bass sound. A very warm sounding gentling evolving string sound. I think many people who try this will find it to be a “go to” synth once they use it.

tibah

05 Jun 2016

I know this may not belong here, but...

Watching the video for the 3rd time now, the way the offset works one *could* think that Nostromo would also be a nice foundation for a granular kind of synth. For now, those 2200 wave-forms are probably single cycle only, collected from various sources. Now if you could expand on that and maybe use larger sources for the OSCs, combined with the OSC offset (and maybe also different play modes, like reverse and whatnot), this could be possible, no? Was that ever a thought doing development? ;)

I wouldn't even mind if the content was locked aka no sample import. I loved the the non-pro version of Padshop by Steinberg, which had a fixed library of sounds. If you include enough interesting material, one should be happy for a life-time. ;)

Loque

05 Jun 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
Melody303 wrote: The filters (and the delay and reverb) can be used with external sound sources by using the Audio In. Audio can be routed through either filters through a fader.
Amen! :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

VOIDMONIKER

05 Jun 2016

Finally Someone getting into some really interesting territory!

Cheers the PANDA!

GRIFTY

05 Jun 2016

looks very dope

• Information