Design a synth UI

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zeebot

24 Jul 2015

Hmm, yeah its a tricky idea to work with.
Crowd funding will indeed cause some headaches.
The only other option I can think is just a simple voluntary thing where all sales go to the running of the site? This does mean though that some will give up more spare time and work more than others. All depends how much people want to contribute.
Personally I know nothing about coding. Have a degree in fine art I could be handy with the conceptual side of the design/aesthetics but have no clue how to use 3D modelling/graphics etc. I'd also be handy contributing patches/making demo tracks.
Maybe people just throw out what they could contribute and see if creating a RE is a viable prospect?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Gaja

25 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:The problem with crowd funding a RE is the perks. People who contribute to a crowd funding program now expect it to work like a paid pre-order. (I've seen this publicly disclosed before, so I'm not revealing anything new that's under the NDA.) Developers are only able to give away a small number of licenses. Pre-ordering for the full amount isn't going to work. So the crowd funding perks would more likely have to be discount codes. The codes can also only discount so far, because the Props still have take their share from the pre-discounted price.

Also, only one developer will be receiving the profits of any purchase of the device. Maybe everyone would be cool with contributing work for what will ultimately belong to one person/company, but I kind of doubt it.

I don't know, maybe it could work. But at least I have too many of my own REs planned that I don't have time to think about doing anything else. :)
I think the financial matter would be the easiest part. There will be a company set up and money will be split up evenly between participants (there could be a contract making it clear).
But Perk wise, Props would need to have a change in policy for that to happen.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

thala

25 Jul 2015

but if the croud-founded RE is for free, there would be no need for free licenses...
or just sell it for 9$/€ and put this money in the pot for the next crowdfounding project :)

ochenk

25 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:Many times we hear from folks who have an idea, but no experience programming.
Other times we have folks who are amazing at making GUIs, but no experience programming.
And then we have programmers who know what they are doing, but don't have any fresh ideas (or they want to stick to their own ideas and passions if it's costing them their time). And folks should be paid for their time.
Etc, etc, etc...
(Emphasis added)

Does this really exist? Have any programmers posted here or elsewhere saying that they want to code REs but don't have any ideas, or are more interested in collaborating? There are lots of people with ideas (I get pitched new RE ideas every week) and recent threads have shown lots of design talent. But coding is the vast majority of the work on anything remotely complex (unless you're making a rompler with the IDT), so without a coder there's no RE.

Are there any programmers here that know how to do basic C or C++ programming, but don't know DSP? Or who know basic DSP but using other languages (java, C#, Obj-c, etc.)? If so, if there were some beginner tutorial videos specifically about programming REs, would that be enough to get you started? Do you think you'd stick with it?
Gaja wrote:I think the financial matter would be the easiest part. There will be a company set up and money will be split up evenly between participants (there could be a contract making it clear).
So if there are two designers, and one spends one hour and the other spends 100 hours, do they get the same percentage? If not, is there a time-keeping system? Is there a project manager that doles out both work and revenue percentages?

joeyluck

25 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Many times we hear from folks who have an idea, but no experience programming.
Other times we have folks who are amazing at making GUIs, but no experience programming.
And then we have programmers who know what they are doing, but don't have any fresh ideas (or they want to stick to their own ideas and passions if it's costing them their time). And folks should be paid for their time.
Etc, etc, etc...
(Emphasis added)

Does this really exist? Have any programmers posted here or elsewhere saying that they want to code REs but don't have any ideas, or are more interested in collaborating? There are lots of people with ideas (I get pitched new RE ideas every week) and recent threads have shown lots of design talent. But coding is the vast majority of the work on anything remotely complex (unless you're making a rompler with the IDT), so without a coder there's no RE.

Are there any programmers here that know how to do basic C or C++ programming, but don't know DSP? Or who know basic DSP but using other languages (java, C#, Obj-c, etc.)? If so, if there were some beginner tutorial videos specifically about programming REs, would that be enough to get you started? Do you think you'd stick with it?
Gaja wrote:I think the financial matter would be the easiest part. There will be a company set up and money will be split up evenly between participants (there could be a contract making it clear).
So if there are two designers, and one spends one hour and the other spends 100 hours, do they get the same percentage? If not, is there a time-keeping system? Is there a project manager that doles out both work and revenue percentages?
The point being, developer A or B is seldom going to do what others suggest. Although some may work with suggestions if they are passionate about the idea or paid to do so. Just like many Kickstarter campaigns—the project manager/the one with the idea isn't always the industrial designer or the producing the prototype. But instead saying, "I have this idea and I'd like to employ these people/cover these costs to make it happen."

As for the first question, we have developers like Pitchblende who work with others helping code their ideas. They happen to have a good rapport and reputation in the shop and amongst those other developers. There are others just the same, but who need the opportunity.

Again, my point behind a Kickstarter campaign could be for a user who wants to see their concept brought to life. That user would research the costs for developing code and GUI for the RE they wish to produce. Any divisions of payment would be decided by them—just like any project/company.

On the other point of the topic. There are developers out there with established plugins that I would like to see in the RE format that I would gladly pay to fund the development in return for a perk other than the RE itself (t-shirt, stickers, producer credit, exclusive ReFill, etc).

Nirude

27 Jan 2016

Hi again to this topic.
Just wanted to notify if/when the winners will get their prizes :)

eXcited ;)
3d man.

ochenk

27 Jan 2016

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. Massimo, Nirude, and eusti, you should now have your prizes in your account.

eusti

27 Jan 2016

ochenk wrote:Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. Massimo, Nirude, and eusti, you should now have your prizes in your account.
Thank you again for your generosity, Ochen!

D.

Nirude

27 Jan 2016

Big thanks for the prize :)
3d man.

Massimo

28 Jan 2016

Thank you Ochen!
Just using my trial now...I tried to check my account but there is nothing that reminds me of an activation code...or maybe I am looking for the wrong thing. Nirude, Eusti, did you manage to install it permanently and not just a trial? Any help?

Big thanks!
Massimo

eusti

28 Jan 2016

Massimo wrote:Thank you Ochen!
Just using my trial now...I tried to check my account but there is nothing that reminds me of an activation code...or maybe I am looking for the wrong thing. Nirude, Eusti, did you manage to install it permanently and not just a trial? Any help?

Big thanks!
Massimo
You should be able to go to the Props site, log in, go to Products (under your account on the right top side), then go to Rack Extensions and select "Sync All"... That should do the trick.

D.

Massimo

28 Jan 2016

Thanks Eusti...fixed!

EnochLight

28 Jan 2016

ochenk wrote:Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. Massimo, Nirude, and eusti, you should now have your prizes in your account.
Any prizes for my suggestion? ;)

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 95#p212595
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eusti

28 Jan 2016

Massimo wrote:Thanks Eusti...fixed!
Glad to hear it!

D.

• Information