The new Instrument, "Objekt" is coming in May

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Steedus
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2023

Really looking forward to this - honestly I haven't been that interested in a few of their most recent devices. But yeah, I'm expecting this to have a premium price though for some reason - $149 - $199.

Nice to see audio input and built in fx. It would be nice if different devices had bespoke delays and reverbs (maybe they do technically), but this looks to have the same kind of fx section as Europa / Grain etc.

deeplink
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2023

Steedus wrote:
04 Apr 2023
Really looking forward to this - honestly I haven't been that interested in a few of their most recent devices. But yeah, I'm expecting this to have a premium price though for some reason - $149 - $199.

Nice to see audio input and built in fx. It would be nice if different devices had bespoke delays and reverbs (maybe they do technically), but this looks to have the same kind of fx section as Europa / Grain etc.
Looks like it will be the same as Europa and Grain - however at least we can use the Audio input to apply these effects on any sound source
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

crimsonwarlock

04 Apr 2023

Taking from the reactions in this topic so far, the GAS is strong with this one. Many people state they will buy it, based on a few small sound snippets and a screenshot. RS marketing dept must be doing something right :lol:

All joking aside, I actually like the graphics. It certainly sets it apart from other instruments in the RE and VST world. It has a bit of Teenage Engineering vibe going on. But the use-case for this (based on the short sound snippets) isn't strong for me so far. Probably why I didn't get Resonans on sale either. I didn't hear anything that will be a serious addition to my available sound pallet.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Faastwalker

04 Apr 2023

Steedus wrote:
04 Apr 2023
But yeah, I'm expecting this to have a premium price though for some reason - $149 - $199.
Same. Looking in the shop pretty much all existing RS synths & sample based instruments are $99. Friktion, Layers, Radical Keys. Even Upmf Drums! All $99.

Objekt already feels like it's in a different league to most stuff that's come before. I'm thinking they may possibly mark this one out as a premium RE with a higher price :?

dvdrtldg

04 Apr 2023

Whatever they charge, whingers gonna whinge

At this point, Reason Studios could develop a cure for cancer, institute global peace and solve the climate crisis, and half of Facebook would be complaining that they hadn't updated the sequencer instead

DaveyG

04 Apr 2023

Faastwalker wrote:
04 Apr 2023
Steedus wrote:
04 Apr 2023
But yeah, I'm expecting this to have a premium price though for some reason - $149 - $199.
Same. Looking in the shop pretty much all existing RS synths & sample based instruments are $99. Friktion, Layers, Radical Keys. Even Upmf Drums! All $99.

Objekt already feels like it's in a different league to most stuff that's come before. I'm thinking they may possibly mark this one out as a premium RE with a higher price :?
The higher the "normal" price the bigger the discount they can offer. :D

EdGrip

04 Apr 2023

It'll be 99.

You mount it in the rack with rubber washers and wooden blocks and you have to drill into the plastic case. The back has a rubber foot along the top for its more usual desktop operation, but there's no rubber foot along the bottom edge: Does the mod matrix just rest directly on the desk? It looks like that might strain it.

I'm not a fan of the Speak & Spell aesthetics, but I suppose RS had to make a device I didn't like the look of eventually.

You can use external audio as an exciter, and thus use it as an effect to surround your 909s or vocals with the strangest re-amped piano vibrations.

As for the analyze button - as Selig points out, it's part of the tuner. So I don't think it's going to be as exciting as you may be thinking. I think it will automatically tune the synth to a pitched audio source, rather than trying to synthesize that audio source. I hope I'm wrong!

Faastwalker

04 Apr 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
04 Apr 2023
Whatever they charge, whingers gonna whinge

At this point, Reason Studios could develop a cure for cancer, institute global peace and solve the climate crisis, and half of Facebook would be complaining that they hadn't updated the sequencer instead
LOL :lol: True. I'm a Reason+ Subber so it's all good. Getting Objekt the INSTANT it pops up in the shop! I'm in Australia, so might have nighttime vigil, if necessary. I may be Objektifying in the early hours :cool:

Loque

04 Apr 2023

Steedus wrote:
04 Apr 2023

It must competit with tother physical modelling synths, if it is a physical modelling synth.

There are Chromaphone for around 100-200 depending on sales and you can go lower with bundles. And it comes with more than 1100 patches out of the box.

Plasmonic is around 150 and rarly on sale and not much discounted. You can get it maybe for 100 on a sale.

And there is SWAM, which is quite expensive.

There are probably a lot more, from free to expensive, feature rich to poor, very specific or common sound generators, and so on...A lot to chose, a lot of competition.
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

04 Apr 2023

Please don't give ideas to RS about a higher price for this one? Thanks. 🤨

Synthopathe

04 Apr 2023

Looks nice. Glad to see the Randomise function. I'll definitely be giving it a Try.

robussc

04 Apr 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Apr 2023
Taking from the reactions in this topic so far, the GAS is strong with this one. Many people state they will buy it, based on a few small sound snippets and a screenshot. RS marketing dept must be doing something right :lol:

All joking aside, I actually like the graphics. It certainly sets it apart from other instruments in the RE and VST world. It has a bit of Teenage Engineering vibe going on. But the use-case for this (based on the short sound snippets) isn't strong for me so far. Probably why I didn't get Resonans on sale either. I didn't hear anything that will be a serious addition to my available sound pallet.
Agreed. I see why people think it’ll be popular with Sound FX folks, but otherwise it seems quite niche. Looking forward to being inevitably proven wrong :)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

04 Apr 2023

robussc wrote:
04 Apr 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Apr 2023

Agreed. I see why people think it’ll be popular with Sound FX folks, but otherwise it seems quite niche. Looking forward to being inevitably proven wrong :)
Having managed it, used it, and tested it for a long time I can confidently say it's more for people who want realistic instruments (or pseudo-realistic instruments) they can both play and control in their music than sound FX designers ;)

dusan.cani

04 Apr 2023

It would be interesting to know who designed the UI and aesthetics for this thing. Was it the same person ? Because design of previous devices like old Reason stuff and newer one like Europa, Complex, Algoritm, etc is superior compared to this Objekt UI. Objekt's UI doesn't look very inviting and cool. As several users stated , it looks like cheap toy. But the design is also inconsistent and it has weird, unattractive color combination and weird overall shape of the device. Those non-flat 3d-like and flat design elements don't fit together in this case. Effects section has knobs without shadows while other knobs and elements have shadows.

Bes
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2023

i like the look
- Certified Reason expert

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

04 Apr 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
04 Apr 2023
It would be interesting to know who designed the UI and aesthetics for this thing. Was it the same person ? Because design of previous devices like old Reason stuff and newer one like Europa, Complex, Algoritm, etc is superior compared to this Objekt UI. Objekt's UI doesn't look very inviting and cool. As several users stated , it looks like cheap toy. But the design is also inconsistent and it has weird, unattractive color combination and weird overall shape of the device. Those non-flat 3d-like and flat design elements don't fit together in this case. Effects section has knobs without shadows while other knobs and elements have shadows.
It's the same designer as almost every device we've ever made. We quite like it and the look has also been popular in user testing! That the older devices are superior is your opinion, which is totally OK, but it's not objectively true which is good to remember. UIs are always divisive (the replies in this thread is a good example of that) but we like our devices to have a lot of character. By the way, regarding the shadows, the effect knobs are simply more shallow (they're more like jog-wheels) than the others so they cast less shadows.

Regardless though, we appreciate the feedback! In this case the UI is not likely to change, so hopefully the sound and usability will convince you ;)

joeyluck

04 Apr 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
04 Apr 2023
Interesting, because when I do a Google Lens image search with it, the results are Reason devices :)

I really like the unique design. This is one of my favorites. It looks very inviting and fun. If asked to draw a picture of it and label sections after only seeing it a few times, I feel like I could do that. I can't say that for many other devices.

Those knobs in the effects section have a lower profile, you'd probably run your finger along them rather than grab them, so of course they have less shadow. That makes sense to me.

dusan.cani

04 Apr 2023

MattiasHG wrote:
04 Apr 2023

It's the same designer as almost every device we've ever made. We quite like it and the look has also been popular in user testing! That the older devices are superior is your opinion, which is totally OK, but it's not objectively true which is good to remember. UIs are always divisive (the replies in this thread is a good example of that) but we like our devices to have a lot of character.
It has no sense to talk about truth or objectiveness here. Either somebody likes the given design or not. It's always only about your own perception. Your perception will not change just because majority could consider something differently. If you like it, you will always like it regardless if someone doesn't like it. But if we talk about objectiveness from the point that it represents what majority thinks, perhaps it could be classified as following:

- there is something, for example UI design, which is bad because majority don't like it and minority like it
- there is controversial design, because it's approx. 50% vs 50%
- and there is superior design which almost everyone likes and minority doesn't like

For me, the UI is very important factor in context of the overall device use. It could be double joy if the UI + sound is awesome, or half of joy if ONLY the sound is awesome and UI looks not so cool, or ugly and irritating in some cases.

The sexiest native Reason device for me is undoubtedly the Complex-1 . This design is masterpiece. Beautiful and functional piece of art. It's extremely inviting, it constantly calls you to come and touch those knobs. Even if I have my speakers turned off, I want to play with knobs and sliders :lol:.

complex.PNG
complex.PNG (532.66 KiB) Viewed 7950 times

crimsonwarlock

04 Apr 2023

MattiasHG wrote:
04 Apr 2023
Having managed it, used it, and tested it for a long time I can confidently say it's more for people who want realistic instruments (or pseudo-realistic instruments) they can both play and control in their music than sound FX designers ;)
I'm looking forward to the introduction live-stream, very curious what this can do besides the few snippets we've heard so far :puf_smile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Crumbfort

04 Apr 2023

Really, really stoked about this!! Stereo audio input should be super fun.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

GlacierRays

04 Apr 2023

MattiasHG wrote:
04 Apr 2023

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I absolutely adore Friktion and as someone who priorities Reason devices and 3rd party RE's over VSTs (I really value native connectivity that comes with the Reason platform) that one device alone massively increased the instruments available to me without having to resort to external sample libraries and devices - so I'm really looking forward to Objekt for its modelled percussion capabilities (as well as sound design).

Now i'm just holding my breath for a physical modelling synth for wind instruments much like what Friktion did for strings...

reasonwhy

04 Apr 2023

GlacierRays wrote:
04 Apr 2023
MattiasHG wrote:
04 Apr 2023

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I absolutely adore Friktion and as someone who priorities Reason devices and 3rd party RE's over VSTs (I really value native connectivity that comes with the Reason platform) that one device alone massively increased the instruments available to me without having to resort to external sample libraries and devices - so I'm really looking forward to Objekt for its modelled percussion capabilities (as well as sound design).

Now i'm just holding my breath for a physical modelling synth for wind instruments much like what Friktion did for strings...
Yes, this is great news! Very excited for this new instrument. BTW I happen to like the design and color theme!

Chi-Individual

04 Apr 2023

I’m loving the design. If I had only one request it would be to add more matrix slots. With so much real estate on the back I wouldn’t be mad at extra slots in that area like Synapse did with Obsession. MORE SLOTS PLS!!!!!!!

Loque

04 Apr 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
04 Apr 2023
I’m loving the design. If I had only one request it would be to add more matrix slots. With so much real estate on the back I wouldn’t be mad at extra slots in that area like Synapse did with Obsession. MORE SLOTS PLS!!!!!!!
I am with you and totally agree. But I would not bet a pennyv that they add more slots or CV.
Reason12, Win10

_andreypetr_

04 Apr 2023

Adding dynamic combinator CV inputs amount is the key to every problem with modulation in any device

• Information