Design a synth UI

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Skrock
RE Developer

14 Jul 2015

Name suggestion
It reminds me of a radiator, so: Radiate RE or Radiator RE
https://www.skrockmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/derekstrike
https://soundcloud.com/marcusbits
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

Puckboy2000

14 Jul 2015

Name suggestion: "Wave Factor-RE"
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

JoshuaPhilgarlic

14 Jul 2015

I don't like those names ending with -RE. This was fun when REs were new, but nowadays it's sucked dry I think :? .

eusti

14 Jul 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:I don't like those names ending with -RE. This was fun when REs were new, but nowadays it's sucked dry I think :? .
Well, I can see it if you produce VSTs or AUs as well... But in general, I agree.

D.

ochenk

15 Jul 2015

Unison:

(By the way, keep an eye on the DSP meter.)
Last edited by ochenk on 15 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

decibel

15 Jul 2015

eusti wrote:
decibel wrote:damn thats a shame, the quote button was pretty handy
It's back! :)

(But the like / thanks button is gone again...)

D.
we cant have our cake and eat it too by the look of things :) lol

decibel

15 Jul 2015

are there any more functions to be added ? or is the latest version we have been shown the final version as far as functions/controls are concerned ?

joeyluck

15 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:

I was looking at the DSP meter before noticing your suggestion to do so.

Very nice!

ochenk

15 Jul 2015

decibel wrote:are there any more functions to be added ? or is the latest version we have been shown the final version as far as functions/controls are concerned ?
Well, the video that I posted 12 minutes before your post showed a brand new feature that was suggested in this thread less than 24 hours ago. Since posting the pre-alpha video five days ago, I've implemented two suggestions that were made here and on Facebook (a persistent oscillator mixer and unison on each oscillator), so I'm certainly interested in suggestions and willing to incorporate them if I think they fit with my concept for this synth. (But of course, as always, no guarantees.)

joeyluck

15 Jul 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:I don't like those names ending with -RE. This was fun when REs were new, but nowadays it's sucked dry I think :? .
I agree.

And if it weren't for the CA-2A getting a renaming of 'RE-2A,' I think there would be a better chance of Cakewalk matching the current sale price of the CA-2A :\ It's the same product! They can say it's a different format, but being able to say it's a different product based on the model number is where they get ya. I won't let it go. Not until the sale is over at least lol.

joeyluck

15 Jul 2015

I vote you release multiple versions of this. A version with a design made by a Reason user. And another called 'naked,' which would look like this. It could be limited, like Crapre. Or several limited versions of runner-ups if the decision becomes tough.

eusti

15 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:Unison:

Love it! :)

D.

decibel

15 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:
decibel wrote:are there any more functions to be added ? or is the latest version we have been shown the final version as far as functions/controls are concerned ?
Well, the video that I posted 12 minutes before your post showed a brand new feature that was suggested in this thread less than 24 hours ago. Since posting the pre-alpha video five days ago, I've implemented two suggestions that were made here and on Facebook (a persistent oscillator mixer and unison on each oscillator), so I'm certainly interested in suggestions and willing to incorporate them if I think they fit with my concept for this synth. (But of course, as always, no guarantees.)
hey ochen ;) the reason i ask is that if anybody here is actually doing a full re design of the interface, even adding one more knob/window/slider in an already tight space could mean having to start the whole process of design all over again, meaning lots of lost time designing something that is no longer appropriate, dont forget that people who are actually having a serious stab at this are volunteering their time to do design consultation work for you for free with the probability they wont even get a product license for their efforts (it doesnt seem fair really, after all beta testers who spot bugs get a free license, why is spotting and fixing bugs in design any different ?), i think to be fair to anybody who might be doing a re-work you need to finalize the function set and notify possible participants here asap so they dont waste time designing UI's that are already obsolete ;) lol.

decibel

15 Jul 2015

*oh i see - unison and spread knobs have been added (and mix level windows)

Puckboy2000

15 Jul 2015

It would be cool if you could assign each Osc. To its own effects. That way you could create a lead with a pad at the same time. I think you could create some great layered sounds.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

Puckboy2000

15 Jul 2015

How about calling it "Fusion" by Ochen K
Since its power is coming from the fusion of the four oscillators and the many interesting features.

ochenk

15 Jul 2015

decibel wrote:hey ochen ;) the reason i ask is that if anybody here is actually doing a full re design of the interface, even adding one more knob/window/slider in an already tight space could mean having to start the whole process of design all over again, meaning lots of lost time designing something that is no longer appropriate, dont forget that people who are actually having a serious stab at this are volunteering their time to do design consultation work for you for free with the probability they wont even get a product license for their efforts (it doesnt seem fair really, after all beta testers who spot bugs get a free license, why is spotting and fixing bugs in design any different ?), i think to be fair to anybody who might be doing a re-work you need to finalize the function set and notify possible participants here asap so they dont waste time designing UI's that are already obsolete ;) lol.
If anyone is working on a design as "design consultation" hoping for a free license, please stop what you're doing and re-read the original post in this thread. I was very explicit that I'm not looking for design consultation. I've provided the visual assets for this synth prior to the implementation of my design just for fun. For those people who like to redesign REs, here's an opportunity to try your hand at designing a RE in the first instance. It's just for fun. That's all. I'm throwing in the possibility of prizes just to encourage people to post their experiments publicly. I am not looking for any free design work.

decibel

15 Jul 2015

at this point i have re designed the ui based on some of your origional elements, i have given it an appropriate and clever name (even tweaked an existing font to create an origional logo), chosen a color scheme and artistic element that fits well within the rack enviroment, basically the ideas and concept i have laid out so far are ready to go straight into the rack :) i might wait to see what other people come up with first though to see whether i stand a chance ? lol, even if i dont enter my design its been fun, im out of work right now so being able to divert my attention and take my mind off worrying about other stuff has been good, plus its the first time in 3 years i have put my amateur photoshop skills to work and done something visually creative or artistic. i wont even say how many hours i've put into it so far but lets just say im obsessive compulsive yeah :) i actually feel a bit jealous of the guys who do this for a living, must be so kool to get paid for something that is actually fun to do :) anyway cant wait to see what everybody submits on sunday ,, (by the way, what time is the cut off point, is it 12 midnight sunday ? is that american time zone sunday ?)

Nirude

15 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote: For those people who like to redesign REs, here's an opportunity to try your hand at designing a RE in the first instance. It's just for fun. That's all.
Hahaha YEp. 01:20 am my wife wakes up "WTF you do work still at this time?" I said I am not working, I am designing.
And now at 09:12 I am at work, working.
Actually I got quite far with my mock-up, now it is 6U. Great unison now - means I have to add two knobz more.
Propellerheads should make a small 10min document about OchenK and how this synth was made (suggestions from forum and implementing those in hours).
3d man.

boobytrap

15 Jul 2015

Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Lines and fonts would be better like this 2 color theme.
1 (2).jpg
1 (2).jpg (16.27 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Black & White + (Blue or Green or Red)
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

tronam

15 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:Unison:

I'm a bit late getting to this, but I love the design and waveshaping flexibility. Is it possible for this detuned unison function to spread across the stereo field? This video's audio is mono.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Vyckeil

15 Jul 2015

If you're adding features, might as well add 2 knobs and 2 button for the matrix section like Thor has. You know, make the whole thing more cramped.

Nirude

15 Jul 2015

Is there an OchenK-logo?
Edit: mean, I want to put a logo to my design.. if there is a logo.
3d man.

Jagwah

15 Jul 2015

Hey Ochen, I really love the oscillator on your A-Series device, it feels very analogue gearish, more than any other oscillator I have come into contact with, I'm hoping the oscillators on this synth will be similar!

ochenk

15 Jul 2015

tronam wrote:
ochenk wrote:Is it possible for this detuned unison function to spread across the stereo field? This video's audio is mono.
Oops. Sorry. Here's the same video in stereo:

Just for more info on the unison, when it's enabled, it's a five voice spread around the center note. So each bank that has unison is playing 5 oscillators. In the video, at the end, all four banks have unison on, so that's 4 times 5, or 20 oscillators per note. When it's in poly mode playing three-note chords, that's 60 oscillators all playing at the same time. Yay!

• Information