Reveal Sound Spire RE confirmed in the works!!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
stp2015

08 Nov 2016

I need the mod Matrix,eq and i need a large patch library. Patch compatibility with the vst would be great, but a very large library would be ok, too.

joeyluck

08 Nov 2016

miscend wrote: What if they put some stuff on the back. Like The Legend which has fx on the rear.
Good point. FX on the back would be ok with me :thumbs_up:
stp2015 wrote:I need the mod Matrix,eq and i need a large patch library. Patch compatibility with the vst would be great, but a very large library would be ok, too.
Looks like they are testing with plenty of patches in the pre-alpha. Does anybody recognize any of those from AU/VST?

electrofux

08 Nov 2016

I wonder what the Arp/Menu button actually does on the device when being pressed. Surely there won't be a window popping up. Something is going to change. According to the reck screw spacing there is some space left at the bottom but not really much. :?:

Can't say i am a big fan of effects on the backside since they are not remotable.

eXode

08 Nov 2016

Even with things put on the back it won't fit all the features missing from the front as far as I can tell.
Last edited by eXode on 12 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

platzangst

08 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:A. It will be a crippled version of Spire, or
B. There's a new SDK in the making that will allow for new ways to design a RE and Spire will be feature complete.
Aw jeez, now I have to clamp down on myself and not start anticipating sample loading finally, in order to avoid SDK 3 heartbreak...

stp2015

08 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:Even with things put on the back it won't fit all the features missing from the front, so either:

A. It will be a crippled version of Spire, or
B. There's a new SDK in the making that will allow for new ways to design a RE and Spire will be feature complete.

That really are the only two possibilities as far as I'm concerned.
How about if they make a lot of use of interactive displays?

eXode

08 Nov 2016

stp2015 wrote:
eXode wrote:Even with things put on the back it won't fit all the features missing from the front as far as I can tell.
Not really, considering the screenshot. There's not much room left for additional displays. Even if they were to use the back with the current SDK, there's A LOT of functionality to accommodate.
Last edited by eXode on 12 Nov 2016, edited 2 times in total.

Shokstar

08 Nov 2016

I wouldn't buy a lite version of a synth

Exowildebeest

08 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:
miscend wrote: What if they put some stuff on the back. Like The Legend which has fx on the rear.
Good point. FX on the back would be ok with me :thumbs_up:
For fuck's sake, let's not encourage developers to make a habit out of that :cry:

fieldframe
RE Developer

08 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:
stp2015 wrote:
eXode wrote:Even with things put on the back it won't fit all the features missing from the front, so either:

Not really, considering the screenshot. There's not much room left for additional displays. Even if they were to use the back with the current SDK, there's A LOT of functionality to accommodate.
To echo my comment from the other thread, I don't understand why Reveal is building the UI at such an oversized, non-Reason scale. If you look at the Combinator in the teaser shot, you can see the knobs on Spire are enormous – and if they made them normal-sized for Reason, they would likely be able to fit the sections in similarly to how they do on the VST.

mind2069

08 Nov 2016

So what if its a trimmed down version.

If it is priced accordingly and makes the most use of the sdk possibilities (and the cpu is good), just look at it as another new synth based on spire. and use the rest of reason devices to make what you need.

stratatonic

08 Nov 2016

mind2069 wrote:So what if its a trimmed down version.
Shouldn't call it SPIRE if that's the case. If it's trimmed down, maybe call it IRE.

stp2015

08 Nov 2016

We dont really know anything at this point.

I am thrilled to see that they are serious about making an RE.

If it turns out to be a Lite versión, i would still consider it at a light price.

All in all, given the quality of spire, i would be surprised if this RE does not turn out to be great.

EnochLight

08 Nov 2016

fieldframe wrote:This is exciting, but oh man that UI is all wrong...

It looks like they're working at almost 2x the proper scale for Reason devices. Check out how massive Spire's knobs look versus the combinator above it!

Ironically, they could have easily fit the stages section in on the right like the VST if they had scaled everything to the right size. I hope they consider changing it.
Totally agree!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mind2069

08 Nov 2016

stratatonic wrote:
Shouldn't call it SPIRE if that's the case. If it's trimmed down, maybe call it IRE.
Who cares about the name, just use it as a new RE synth.

Just forget spire even exists in the vst world.

Yonatan

08 Nov 2016

Is there any limit to how long the RE size can be?

miscend

08 Nov 2016

Well the bottom portion of the synth is completely cut off and we don't know what's there. Could be a mod matrix?

Honestly I would be happy if they prioritise the most useful features and they leave out features which could just easily be redone with a combinator. I think it makes sense to redesign it based on Reasons strengths rather than try cram millions of things into a very tiny interface with poor usability. Arguably we could live without the arp since Reason has several options but the full mod matrix and fx should be mandatory.

sdst
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

wow I thought this was another troll post but is real. :)

EnochLight

08 Nov 2016

Yonatan wrote:Is there any limit to how long the RE size can be?
Yes. It's 9U (or about the height of Rob Papen's Predator, Blamsoft Expanse, or Reason's own Thor fully expanded).

I want it to be "B", but I am almost certain that it's "A". But that's just me being a fatalistic nihilist. :D
stratatonic wrote:
According to the browser in the screen grab, it's currently called "ReSpire"...
miscend wrote:Well the bottom portion of the synth is completely cut off and we don't know what's there. Could be a mod matrix?
Nope. I can see very well what the lower part is, and comparing it to the VST it's based on, it's the graphical envelopes and LFO panels. The Mod Matrix takes up the entire lower panel when it's switched on, something that Reason's RE SDK doesn't support quite like this:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

08 Nov 2016

@EnochLight, That MTRX example you show uses sliders and includes space between screens etc... of course it takes up more room like that. It can be smaller with knobs and smaller screens and less or no space between... you just have to use your imagination by looking at almost every other Reason device/RE :)

My theory for now is that the mod matrix is at the bottom and the effects are omitted or are on the back...

Noplan
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:Where do people predict the ARP pops up when the ARP button is pressed?
On the back. :lol:

Marc64

08 Nov 2016

What about Antidote with the pane switching. There it's possible to click on the different effects and the panel is switching.
Would be cool if the sdk is updated in R9 and Spire is the first one to show this :)

EnochLight

08 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:@EnochLight, That MTRX example you show uses sliders and includes space between screens etc... of course it takes up more room like that. It can be smaller with knobs and smaller screens and less or no space between... you just have to use your imagination by looking at almost every other Reason device/RE :)

My theory for now is that the mod matrix is at the bottom and the effects are omitted or are on the back...
The thing is, there is SO. MUCH. MORE. Seriously - the amount of things included in Spire is far more than just what's mentioned above... the pages upon pages of things that can be controlled and selected. Short of pane switching with static knobs (like on Antidote), I have no idea how it could be accomplished. And static pane switching wouldn't give you the amount of real estate needed to make Spire (a 1:1 port anyway) work.

Curious - do you own the VST? Or have you ever played with it?

NekujaK

08 Nov 2016

The SDK should expand to accommodate double-wide REs, meaning RE's that occupy two adjacent rack columns in Reason. Yes, it breaks the real-world modeling of hardware racks, but it's a minor deviation that would enable complex UI layouts to be better implemented in Reason, when necessary.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

• Information