Outboard Rig

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jam-s

26 May 2015

As the outboard rig is on sale right now and I've already got quite a few of the included REs I wonder how you would judge the included REs:

(# = Must have, + = Thumbs up, ~ = OK, - = meh, ? = Don't know)

Here's my take:

? 4Dyne
? Black Knight 5 Band Equalizer
? DCAM BusComp
? DCAM ChanComp
~ DCAM EnvShaper
? EVE-AT4 3-Band Equalizer
- G8 Dynamic Gate
? Ozone Maximizer
+ RE 200 Bass Enhancer
~ RE 202 Exciter
# Selig DeEsser
# Selig Gain
# Selig Leveler
? Softube TSAR-1R Reverb
? Softube Valley People Dyna-Mite
? Synapse DR-1 Deep Reverb

What's your view on this?

Sinistereo

26 May 2015

The Softube REs in the bundle are quality but overpriced. I like Synapse DR-1 but decided to get Antidote instead. 4Dyne is nice but is easily replicated with combinators using stock or less expensive (Yoko Band Splitter) REs.

The DCAM units are good, but are often on sale. Can't comment on any of the EQs, as I haven't tried them.

Using stock gear in combis, you can get the same effect as the bass enhancer and the exciter.

With the exception of Selig's extensions and Ozone (which alone are worth the price of this rig), the rest is kind of "meh." 

YMMV.

CharlyCharlzz

26 May 2015

I buyed it , at 199 it was a steal but at 149 dollars it's just nonesenss not to buy it ......it's none senss not to buy all the Rigs at this price IMO but I could not do that :frown:

anyway I think that there aint much to think about .

Meh for G8 ?!? LOL well G8 does it's gate job verywell and the day you need one it will work fine to let's say cut the sound once that it is Under a certain level and you can CV everything wich is unusual in the gate world .
for this Price I can't put anything Under + but most of this bundle is a # when you have almost no RE 's like I did :)
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

challism

27 May 2015

I purchased this bad boy bundle right out of the gate because it has so many great REs.  The only RE in this bundle that I already had was RE200. It was nice not to be buying duplicates (that you dont really get).

4Dyne (I haven't used this enough to honestly say, but it seems very promising)
Black Knight 5 Band Equalizer (not crazy about it, I don't like the GUI, and it seems high on CPU)
DCAM BusComp (CPU hog, not crazy about it)
DCAM ChanComp (attack knob doesn't do anything... not crazy about it... CPU hog)
DCAM EnvShaper (I like it and use it often, but wouldn't call it a must have)
EVE-AT4 3-Band Equalizer (I like it, but more people are raving about MP5, I wouldn't call this one a must have)
G8 Dynamic Gate (I haven't used this enough to honestly say, but it seems very interesting)
Ozone Maximizer (must have)
RE 200 Bass Enhancer (must have)
RE 202 Exciter (I'm not crazy about it, but I do use it from time to time)
Selig DeEsser (must have)
Selig Gain (must have)
Selig Leveler (must have)
Softube TSAR-1R Reverb (must have, but a CPU hog)
Softube Valley People Dyna-Mite (must have)
Synapse DR-1 Deep Reverb  (must have)
Last edited by challism on 06 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Tincture

27 May 2015

My view. NG = not got; G = Great; O = Ok

G 4Dyne
NG Black Knight 5 Band Equalizer
G DCAM BusComp
O DCAM ChanComp
G DCAM EnvShaper
NG EVE-AT4 3-Band Equalizer
NG G8 Dynamic Gate
G Ozone Maximizer
NG RE 200 Bass Enhancer
O RE 202 Exciter
G Selig DeEsser
G Selig Gain
G Selig Leveler
NG (have TSAR 1 = G) Softube TSAR-1R Reverb
NG Softube Valley People Dyna-Mite
G Synapse DR-1 Deep Reverb

jam-s

27 May 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:Meh for G8 ?!? LOL well G8 does it's gate job verywell and the day you need one it will work fine to let's say cut the sound once that it is Under a certain level and you can CV everything wich is unusual in the gate world .
for this Price I can't put anything Under + but most of this bundle is a # when you have almost no RE 's like I did :)
As I've already got the great Selig REs befor the bundle existed I'm rather curious of the added value in the other REs. As for the G8: I give it a Meh as I don't have much use for a gate RE as the SSL already has got one and the Selig Leveler can be used to clean recordings from noise as well and for gated FX there's Alligator. So I don't see much value added by the G8. Also DR-1 is not that tempting to owners of Antidote (like myself).

dvdrtldg

27 May 2015

G8 is awesome

You're welcome

electrochoc (PRX-A)

27 May 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:G8 is awesome

You're welcome
I'm totally puzzled by the low "rates" for G8 Gate... This device is really awesome indeed! Maybe if one uses gates only for mastering, it may look ordinary (or useless since we have gates in the SSL), but as soon as one wants a more versatile gate device, G8 is incredible, works like a charm and has all the features that are needed in a gate (as far as I know at least).

For the rest, I'll mainly follow this thread as a reader since I'm toying with the idea of getting this bundle: I only have four of its (lower-priced) devices: G8 Gate (my favorite out of those four!), DCAM ChanComp (a poor man's FET compressor), DCAM EnvShaper (great to enhance beats) and DR-1 Deep Reverb (my favorite reverb to use with virtual analog synths).
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

CharlyCharlzz

28 May 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:Meh for G8 ?!? LOL well G8 does it's gate job verywell and the day you need one it will work fine to let's say cut the sound once that it is Under a certain level and you can CV everything wich is unusual in the gate world .
jam-s wrote: As I've already got the great Selig REs befor the bundle existed I'm rather curious of the added value in the other REs. As for the G8: I give it a Meh as I don't have much use for a gate RE as the SSL already has got one and the Selig Leveler can be used to clean recordings from noise as well and for gated FX there's Alligator. So I don't see much value added by the G8. Also DR-1 is not that tempting to owners of Antidote (like myself).
yes i get what you mean but that is based of the way you work and what you have already,
 to most customers it's a full tool box for mixing in a bundle wich kind of is very attractive for those only using Reason tool's so fare even if they own one or two of them when you can bet most peoples having already most of these will turn to another bundle or sale   :D  .

It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Koncide

07 Jun 2015

challism wrote: Softube TSAR-1R Reverb (must have, but a CPU hog)
An absolutely beautiful reverb if you ask me. Although saying its a CPU hog is a understatement.
Ambient garage vibes.

joeyluck

07 Jun 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:G8 is awesome

You're welcome
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
I'm totally puzzled by the low "rates" for G8 Gate... This device is really awesome indeed! Maybe if one uses gates only for mastering, it may look ordinary (or useless since we have gates in the SSL), but as soon as one wants a more versatile gate device, G8 is incredible, works like a charm and has all the features that are needed in a gate (as far as I know at least).

For the rest, I'll mainly follow this thread as a reader since I'm toying with the idea of getting this bundle: I only have four of its (lower-priced) devices: G8 Gate (my favorite out of those four!), DCAM ChanComp (a poor man's FET compressor), DCAM EnvShaper (great to enhance beats) and DR-1 Deep Reverb (my favorite reverb to use with virtual analog synths).
Yup. I've always been plenty fine with the gate on the SSL. Not sure why I would ever need another gate. It's usage and job are pretty basic and the SSL gate does the job perfectly for me.

G8 is also too much red text!

KnowKontrol

05 Sep 2015

I came because I am wondering if its worth it... personally I know that I have to start worrying about the mix more than I have... Now that I have been working with more professional entities I am starting to get asked about noise in the background ect... I am hoping this has some of the tools I will need to clean up my mixes.

KnowKontrol

05 Sep 2015

:D also currently demoing the maximizer.... sooooo glad I didnt buy it yet. This will be the first pack I got where I didnt already have a few of the things in it... also makes the trifecta. I have them all now.

arqui

05 Sep 2015

challism wrote: DCAM ChanComp (attack knob doesn't do anything... not crazy about it... CPU hog)
just fixed in the last update!
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

• Information