What kinds of Rack Extensions would you like to see more of?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rcbuse
RE Developer

19 Jun 2015

What kinds of Rack Extensions would you like to see in the shop?  If what you want isn't listed, please post a comment.

ScavvP

19 Jun 2015

I would love to see a graphical waveshaper like this one:

Kind of a CV mutant for audio. 

How is propulsion coming along? Still looking forward to that one.

rcbuse
RE Developer

19 Jun 2015

ScavvP wrote:How is propulsion coming along? Still looking forward to that one.
Not long now..  awaiting approval and writing the manual.  :)

Miss Controllerism

19 Jun 2015

granular synth rack extension with possibility to load samples and shape it like  in  izotope iris  or alchemy or absynth

i hope soon someone wil create one of those

borracho

19 Jun 2015

I think there are several categories missing that can be done with current SDK. 
1 - Console saturation emulation (Like Slate's VCC or Waves NLS) and preamps emulation. 
With Reason it can be even cooler because it can be not channel but an actual mixer emulation. I'm wondering why there are no RE mixers in the shop like Mixer 14:2 device but emulated with API or Neve desk.
2 - Good quality tape saturation (like U-he Satin or Slate's VTM)
3 - Wavetable synth (Serum, Codex etc). Even without loading your own samples but with extensive wavetable libraries would be cool to have such device.
4 - Animoog-like vector modulation device (large x/y screen where user can setup vectors path and define x and y speed). RP Vecto is something close but not exactly.
5 - Also I'm really missing psychodelic delay device from NI Guitar Rig.

Viscor

19 Jun 2015

An additive FM synth like Ableton's Operator or Image Line's Sytrus would be nice. Maybe with RM/AM und filter FM capabilities.
Also, you can't get wrong with any new kind of distortion/saturation or waveshaping REs.

muffins4all

19 Jun 2015

The kind that come from big name devs: NI, Waves, and Arturia, for example.

I'd also like to see some rack extensions from high-quality "medium-sized" devs like AAS, D16, and Valhalla DSP.

It would also be nice if Korg, iZotope, and GForce remembered that they were rack extension developers.

I think the format is in trouble.

Iapetus 9

19 Jun 2015

muffins4all wrote:The kind that come from big name devs: NI, Waves, and Arturia, for example.

I'd also like to see some rack extensions from high-quality "medium-sized" devs like AAS, D16, and Valhalla DSP.

It would also be nice if Korg, iZotope, and GForce remembered that they were rack extension developers.

I don't see why we should hope for more VST ports. The VST's are just fine as they are, most peep's have multiple DAW's to work and play in, and buying them again for Reason just seems silly to me. I'd rather look forward to Reason exclusive things that think outside the VST box. More CV in's n out's...more Reason.
38L > 51D every time.

decibel

19 Jun 2015

i know synapse has fat space Room Simulator (which i plan on purchasing) and rv7000 now has convalution capabillities but i would love to see a full blown device like this as a rack extension :) mainly for the gui if the truth be told, i love a good visual display of whats going on, helps me understand whats happening etc lol

* oh and it would be great if Spectrasonics made RE'S also :)

gak

20 Jun 2015

muffins4all wrote:The kind that come from big name devs: NI, Waves, and Arturia, for example.

One of the first ones I thought about was Valhalla, but now that I discovered RP verb and that it actually works properly (the vst has always had issues) I have zero wants in that category.

Waves: Well, we have softube, mcdsp, and some others that really do cover the bases. I would like aural exciter though, I miss that one. NI? In what way? I mean, we already have a bunch of softube stuff (I know, it's not exactly the same) and the NI synths are really dated. That's the thing about reason, even though I'm not a power user, I still can combine/use synths/fx to get far more pleasing stuff with a fraction of the CPU load. They never have anything like kontakt. Better to ask library makers to do NN-XT anyways)

Arturia? They don't even answer questions/help for their vst/hardware owners :rofl:

Edit, didn't notice the "format in trouble" part. Yep, AND camel was NOT bought out by apple ;)  

gak

20 Jun 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:
I don't see why we should hope for more VST ports. The VST's are just fine as they are, most peep's have multiple DAW's to work and play in, and buying them again for Reason just seems silly to me. I'd rather look forward to Reason exclusive things that think outside the VST box. More CV in's n out's...more Reason.
I'm for anything and everything that will actually work. That said, I too personally would like to see more reason specific things.

ProfessaKaos

20 Jun 2015

borracho wrote:I think there are several categories missing that can be done with current SDK. 
1 - Console saturation emulation (Like Slate's VCC or Waves NLS) and preamps emulation. 
With Reason it can be even cooler because it can be not channel but an actual mixer emulation. I'm wondering why there are no RE mixers in the shop like Mixer 14:2 device but emulated with API or Neve desk.
2 - Good quality tape saturation (like U-he Satin or Slate's VTM)
3 - Wavetable synth (Serum, Codex etc). Even without loading your own samples but with extensive wavetable libraries would be cool to have such device.
4 - Animoog-like vector modulation device (large x/y screen where user can setup vectors path and define x and y speed). RP Vecto is something close but not exactly.
5 - Also I'm really missing psychodelic delay device from NI Guitar Rig.
1 and 2 Please

gak

20 Jun 2015

I'd love to see the VCC thing too. That's actually the one company I'd like to see do RE's. Unfortunately, it will never happen.

Everyone write right now!

challism

20 Jun 2015

A nice, fat tape saturation would be cool.
I would love to see someone come along and make an Audiomatic part 2 (of sorts)... with the preset sounds, but give it MUCH MORE control over the sound.  Maybe something like what Futzbox is doing with the sims and filters + Audiomatic.
I know it isn't possible with the current SDK, but a graintable synth like Malstrom with loadable samples would really be cool.  But, again, I know it isn't possible under the current SDK.  While I'm wishing, how about a super combi, where you can add multiple combi's and has 12 knobs and buttons, etc.

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Dante

20 Jun 2015

More classic emulations of channel strips and 80's synths. More classic gear but cheaper than the TubeTech.

And more orchestral romplers like SAM but with nice loops.

And a drum kit RE like ToonTracks so you can right click on a cymbal and change it from a Zilgian to a Fabian, then click a button and for each individual drum will be assigned to a new SSL channel without having to manually create 8 mix channels.

And more valves that glow, and a decent tape deck emu like Slate with tape travelling from one reel to the other.

gak

20 Jun 2015

challism wrote: A nice, fat tape saturation would be cool.
I would love to see someone come along and make an Audiomatic part 2 (of sorts)... with the preset sounds, but give it MUCH MORE control over the sound.  Maybe something like what Futzbox is doing with the sims and filters + Audiomatic.
I know it isn't possible with the current SDK, but a graintable synth like Malstrom with loadable samples would really be cool.  But, again, I know it isn't possible under the current SDK.  While I'm wishing, how about a super combi, where you can add multiple combi's and has 12 knobs and buttons, etc.

I guess I'm just a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. Though I totally understand that something like "satin" would be welcome in our world, I completely don't understand why it's "that" important. I owned it, and sold it. Nothing really wrong with it, but after a while it gets on my nerves. Saturation is almost redundant in the digital format. Nothing wrong with what you are saying, but I guess I just feel I can mix with what we have in reason/re's more than I ever could with all those "other" hosts. 

I know my ears are not what they once were, but that's just how I feel.

muffins4all

20 Jun 2015

challism wrote: A nice, fat tape saturation would be cool.
Urs from u-he tried to bring a cut down version of Satin over to the rack extension format.  Things didn't go as planned, to say the least.  u-he may have even abandoned the rack extension format. 

UPDATE: they haven't officially abandoned the format, but they're not committing to working more in it, either.  This was posted on the kvr forum on June 3rd:

"We haven't yet had time to check the new SDK out.

After Hive we're now pretty much busy with ourselves for a few months. We'll move into new offices and make space for new co-workers. Maybe one of those co-workers will be able to revive our effort in REs, but also maybe not. In any case, we're three developers and neither of us has time and energy to put into this. In other words, I can't really say yet."

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p6149525

thala

20 Jun 2015

-a touch multi effect like korg kaoss. and vecto-features. for scripted FX
(-or Slider with vecto points)

- mathematical copy/paste/manipulate/fade-in function for shape lfo editor for combining shapes live. (add/divide/multiply/average/outer selection/inner selection/just paste) with preview of the second shape and result.

tons of ideas here for mathematical live cv madness.

-preset banks for Shape (with small preview graphics), selectable via CV

-a new better combinator (for props)

-a cooperation from Panda and Zvork to get korde and shape work together with Volt SL1 like a charm (you both got already mails with suggestions...)

-a new Standard for  CV (tons of CV-in for nearly every function and for shure a CV-In for DRY/WET!) to get a morphing feature via Volt SL1 for all RE ... cause of this limited Combinator

-another standard for cv: every CVout should have a unipolar/bipolar switch

-a Delay with latency compensation for devices in the feedbackloop. (infinite looping with high latency stuff inside like Polar/neptune) in the moment infinite loops with latency inside are running out of sync

-a emergency button on combinator wich recalls the last 8bars of audio and loop this to infinity. (sometimes during working on sounds there happens some really nice glitches, that will never come back otherwise)

so what i want is fine tuning and updates (to make things perfect) instead of releasing another hundred new RE. we will pay for good updates...

raymondh

20 Jun 2015

I'd like more emulations of classic synths.

I especially like having m-tron, polysix, redominator, mono/poly, fm7, viking, Ivoks etc in the rack. 
I'm considering ABL3 too.

I'd especially like to see faithful emulations of Yamaha CS, Roland Jupiter 8, Juno 60, Juno 106, Elka Synthex, Oberheim Matrix 12, Prophet 5, Roland JX-8P

But I'd also be happy with Arp Odyssey, Memorymoog, Arp 2600, EMS VCS3...

For IDT RE's, it would be great to see rompler versions of the Korg M1 or Roland D-50.

There are already fantastic Refills featuring samples of the above instruments, but I want to be able to program the synths as if they were the originals. When Korg released the Polysix RE, that was the biggest game changer for me soundwise since Bitley released his Fairlight refill.

Djstarski

20 Jun 2015

i would like to see some channel strips with EQ , COMPRESSOR , LIMTER , EFFECTS , SATURATION and anything else that would come in handy on a channel strip . also a choice of 2 of each section . 

2 EQ`s
2 COMPRESSORS
2 SATURATIONS 

just so you have a choice of two types of characters maybe 

ahs

20 Jun 2015

fat oscilloscope with XY input

pjeudy

20 Jun 2015

Also to any new dev or people thinking about what to make...anything from this software would be welcomed :-) all of it or parts of it :-):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMvIxPZ-50

I'd like to see something like this ...Sure I know people will say you can create one in REASON, but would love it all in one device :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNYbQA0faQU

And most definitely something like this : With  ****>>>>> AUTOMATIC RELEASE CONTROL<<<******

Yes, I know we have 4DYNE :-)

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

firejan82

20 Jun 2015

I would welcome all the Arturia vintage synth emulations and also Korgs MS-20. 

Maybe a string machine/synth that does physical modelling as well as virtual analog, or is there something like that already?

Tincture

20 Jun 2015

Yes some physical modelling REs would be great! More vox simulators / synths would be most welcome too, if possible?

• Information