Zvork's Oberon Song Challenge | The Announcement

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zvork

20 Jul 2015

Hi, we're looking for Aidan Mahony, who is participating in the song challenge and has sent us a PM on Facebook concerning a bug. If you read this Aidan, we would be really interested in having your patch demonstrating the bug.

thotbott

20 Jul 2015

sorry m8, i was away for the weekend, am mailing the patch today

thotbott

20 Jul 2015

patch is sent, it used crash all the time, now its about 30% due to me changing the amp envelope, other than that i am stumped to why it did.

and i have a song for this comp, sorry for the off topic :)

thotbott

20 Jul 2015

clicked delete by accident on soundcloud, resubmitted there

Tau Ceti

21 Jul 2015

Here is my Oberon track:

Arrant
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2015

I didn't think I'd have a chance to finish a track in time for this challenge as I just came back from holiday two days ago with the deadline looming on the horizon. However after a 12 hour marathon production session today my entry is now in. This is extremely unusual (and wonderful) for me as I usually have trouble finishing a track in a month. Not a bad excercise to give yourself a day to make a complete track actually.
Really went all in, hope you enjoy this one.

For those interested in the creative process I got the bassline and kick you hear in the opening of the song down yesterday but had no idea where to go from there. I thought Oberon sat superbly in the mix but struggled to get the required banging leads out of it. This morning I figured I had to resort to vocals for the lead and asked a friend if she had any lyrics for me, preferably something dreamy. She came up with a collection of old poems and I just picked one that suited the overall theme I had in mind, modified it slightly to fit with the rhythm and melody and that was it really, the rest just came on its own.
Unfortunately I am hardly a singer but I think this just about works by the narrowest of margins with some help from my good buddy Neptune :)

frog974new

25 Jul 2015

hum..hum..
an other idea with the Oberon ; each time i browse patch or tweak sounds i get inspired for an oldchool vibes

CrossFireG

27 Jul 2015

Submitted my song for the competition! Just awaiting confirmation.

Hope you guys enjoy!

P.s. Finally got around to joining Reasontalk Forums!!!!!!!!!

Noise
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2015

Cool synth, submited my participation! Listening to the other tracks now!

Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Faastwalker

29 Jul 2015

Last minute effort! Had to get this finished quick - competition ends tomorrow & so does my Oberon trial period.

Had to rush the arrangement to get it finished for upload. All sounds Oberon except drums. Minimal effects. Ozone used on output.

alterEe
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2015

Here are my songs for the challenge:

I had lots of fun, thanks for the challenge!

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2015

This number trips over the line with time to spare, hopefully including all it's body parts, unlike my tardy attempts in the previous three competitions...

https://soundcloud.com/zhi-zhu-2/brown-study-aj_3000

I found Ochen K's Carve on demo a real help in taming the mushy mess with which I tend to end up. Also iZotope's Ozone from the Outboard Rig was something when placed across a mix that made me nervous, up until trying it this week. Mastering is something about which I have so much to learn, so I am not the best to judge how successful were my efforts. Still Ozone seemed to help in my tentative attempt at mastering: I feel the result was not quite as harsh and overcooked as on previous occasions, although to start with some of the Oberon sounds produced were pretty ugly and abrasive!

OldGoat

30 Jul 2015

Enjoy!

Olivier

30 Jul 2015

Decided to join the challenge. Hope i added it to the group on time :D

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Reasonistas
RE Developer

30 Jul 2015

Thank you all that participated in yet another excellent synth song challenge. We will close the group at 12:00 am this evening and will come back in approximately 1 week with the winner's list. Until, sit back, relax and enjoy all songs submitted. Bravo!
ImageImageImage

Arrant
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2015

As my Oberon trial expired, I wanted to remake my track using more familiar instruments. I find it interesting how different synths push you in different directions: Oberon is a synth for experimentation, and (like Vecto did) it pushed me into unfamiliar musical territory.
Original track:

This remake features Antidote for lead and strings, Tres for the bassline and Subtractor for the arpy tinkler. Also replaced the drums with some 909 samples for a more solid sound. Also note that the Oberon track was made under severe time constraints.
Remake:

Does anyone else remake their tracks after a contest?

• Information