Design a synth UI

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ochenk

10 Jul 2015

Okay folks, as first talked about in this thread, I'm working on a new synth. The functionality is almost done, but it doesn't have a design yet, just a layout. In the real world, now would be the time to design the silkscreen image that's printed on the case.

A number of people have expressed, publicly in forums and privately to me, an interest in designing RE UIs. Coming up with an original design is a very different process from redesigning a pre-existing RE or recreating one in 3D. But unless you're already developing REs, you don't normally get a chance to think up the first design. So here's your chance.

To be extra clear, I am not looking for someone to design my synth for me. I'm making no promise to use anyone's design as the actual design for the synth upon release. This is just an opportunity to try your hand at designing, instead of redesigning, and then I hope you share your design with the community here. That being said, I haven't done the actual device design yet, but when I do, I may consider whatever designs are posted here. If I want to use your design, I'll reach out and see if we can work something out. But no promises.

So here are the rules: There are no rules. This is just for fun, so do whatever you want. As an incentive for people to share their work, I promise to give away one license to the designer behind whatever I deem to be the best design. I have no idea what "best" means, so it'll be entirely subjective. However, there must be at least five different designs submitted by five different people in order to trigger the free license giveaway. (Sorry, but if you're the only one who posts a design, you're not going to get the free license by default.) In terms of deadline, let's say July 20. That gives everyone two weekends.

And finally, here's a video about the synth. (Why is the BBCode for youtube videos not enabled here?)

Here are links to a Reason screen cap and a high-res render.

And here's the synth just waiting to be designed:

Questions?

Good luck!

ochenk

10 Jul 2015

Oh, and if anyone wants to hear it, I'm just starting to work on patches. Here's an 8-bar loop with three instances of the synth, no out-board effects, one Kong, and one Ozone on the master:

eusti

10 Jul 2015

Lovely! Looking really forward to see how it's going to turn out!
And I'm again impressed by your willingness to testing things out...
Not just in regards to programming, but as well in procedures of producing / testing things...

I'll keep my eyes peeled!

I like how it sounds. Not too sure about the reverb, but it might just be misrepresented in the video... ;)

D.

decibel

10 Jul 2015

just watching this earlier this morning, looks like fun :)

if somebody is interested in doing the graphic overlay do you send them a vector template or something ?

EnochLight

11 Jul 2015

Just watched the video.. Holy shit man.. this is BAD ASS. Dude - kudos to the design man - the fact that there are so many custom display widgets and that they can all be animated at the same time via the mod matrix is freak'n awesome! And also - *MAJOR* kudos for including a reverb/delay & eq built-in to the synth. It will be a pleasure to load default patches that shine with built-in effects.

And about the GUi.. honestly, I realize you've invited a crowd-source inspiration for the GUI, but it looks pretty bad ass so far just how it is - the major 3D depth of field looks freak'n sweet. Just flesh it out with some classy bump mapping and graphics, and you'll be good to go IMHO. The layout is perfect and the display widgets with deep 3D edges - and the shadows on the top edge of the screens are sweet!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

zeebot

11 Jul 2015

Hi Ochen,
I had a similar problem in another thread.
The BBcode for vids has been disabled, all you have to do is post the full link and it will automatically make it an embedded video.
I will have a go at this if I get the time, I'm as busy as a badger lately :puf_smile:

EDIT: By the way, the synth look really interesting, the possibilities are amazing.
Do you have any ideas for the name or is that open to suggestions?
Last edited by zeebot on 11 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

eusti

11 Jul 2015

zeebot wrote: The BBcode for vids has been disabled, all you have to do is post the full link and it will automatically make it an embedded video.
Very strangely though, when I just posted two videos it only made the second one into an embedded video...
Not sure if that's always the case...

D.

boobytrap

11 Jul 2015

Really good synth and what an awesome idea. Wave shaping oscillators is the most important thing is right now.This will be the SYNTH. But about current GUI, 3D depth is too much. Looks like an old terminal module. What about a modern dark colour scheme, black display with green characters. What's that big deal about using white colour for every ochenk RE. I have to say, this is a brilliant Synth with huge possibilities. whatever you do Please don't mess with GUI. Make it better and modern. Like now FL 12 vector.

P.s. GUI IS VALUE
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Vyckeil

11 Jul 2015

"So here are the rules: There are no rules."

So, can I change the layout, size of knobs and things of the sort? This is not just a skin/decal job, is it?

Bonkhead

11 Jul 2015

In functionality this looks a lot like a drumsynth I sketched up last year, great stuff ! Does it have a noise wave ?
I can't wait to make patches with this synth, even try some tr 909/808 sounds with one instance per sound.

zeebot

11 Jul 2015

Bonkhead wrote:In functionality this looks a lot like a drumsynth I sketched up last year, great stuff ! Does it have a noise wave ?
I can't wait to make patches with this synth, even try some tr 909/808 sounds with one instance per sound.
Yeah, I'd be up for some beta testing and patch making, I really enjoyed creating some for inclusion in the Chip64 release...as I said the possibilities with this synth are mindboggling.

They really are crap.

Nirude

11 Jul 2015

Just like the Commando said in the first Command & Conquer -game:
"I'm on it!"
3d man.

frog974new

11 Jul 2015

i never do this , try it just for fun :)

XSynth

11 Jul 2015

Keep the design, call it CREAM :)

ochenk

11 Jul 2015

decibel wrote:if somebody is interested in doing the graphic overlay do you send them a vector template or something ?
No, just open up the high-res image in Photoshop and layer your design.
zeebot wrote:EDIT: By the way, the synth look really interesting, the possibilities are amazing.
Thanks. No, I don't have a name yet. Totally open for suggestions.
boobytrap wrote:Really good synth and what an awesome idea. Wave shaping oscillators is the most important thing is right now.This will be the SYNTH. But about current GUI, 3D depth is too much. Looks like an old terminal module. What about a modern dark colour scheme, black display with green characters. What's that big deal about using white colour for every ochenk RE. I have to say, this is a brilliant Synth with huge possibilities. whatever you do Please don't mess with GUI. Make it better and modern. Like now FL 12 vector.
Open up Photoshop and show me what you mean.
Vyckeil wrote:"So here are the rules: There are no rules." So, can I change the layout, size of knobs and things of the sort? This is not just a skin/decal job, is it?
You can do whatever you want. Obviously when I finally implement the device design, I'll very likely stick with the current layout, but you never know. ;)
XSynth wrote:Keep the design, call it CREAM :)
I think there's already a RE called Cream, right?

dhruan

11 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:
XSynth wrote:Keep the design, call it CREAM :)
I think there's already a RE called Cream, right?
Kuassa Creme.

Ok, visual design it is (as in, the functional and layout design is pretty much fixed). ;)

Questions, questions: Actually only one at this time, are the display sizes fixed or can you define them freely?
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

joeyluck

11 Jul 2015

I really like the casing. Reminds me of audiomatic. I think the screens and knobs are great. I agree, this only needs to be shipped off for screen printing :)

ochenk

11 Jul 2015

dhruan wrote:Questions, questions: Actually only one at this time, are the display sizes fixed or can you define them freely?
Are you asking about the SDK, or this synth? I can't comment about the SDK, although I will note that there seems to be a lot of variation in the sizes of custom displays on the REs that have been released so far, so without SDK knowledge, it doesn't seem too limited. As for this synth, the displays are as fixed as anything else in the layout. Meaning, if you want to change the layout, you're free to change the display sizes as well. Does that answer your question?

Nirude

11 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:if you want to change the layout, you're free to change the display sizes as well. Does that answer your question?
Yeah I came to ask the same thing. I will scale them a bit down...
3d man.

zeebot

11 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:
zeebot wrote:EDIT: By the way, the synth look really interesting, the possibilities are amazing.
Thanks. No, I don't have a name yet. Totally open for suggestions.
NP :puf_smile:

Well, if the name is open for suggestion I'd like to take dibs on..

Re-Imagine

Because its a Re and it's been erm...imagined or re imagined or something?

Yay? Nay? Indifferent? Would like some feedback from people :puf_smile:

They really are crap.

Lizard

11 Jul 2015

This is a great project allowing for community participation. Great idea Ochen! Would you allow access to your SG files and 3D assets for those that could work with them?

dhruan

11 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:As for this synth, the displays are as fixed as anything else in the layout. Meaning, if you want to change the layout, you're free to change the display sizes as well. Does that answer your question?
Yes it does, thanks! :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

sdst
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2015

first, na just for fun I like the original but with some color

Faastwalker

11 Jul 2015

This little GUI project from OchenK has got ScottyM written all over it. Scotty, this is your big chance ;)

This synth looks a lot of fun. The current GUI looks fun to. Reminds of that molded plastic you get in packaging. Looks fun.

-Rkn-

12 Jul 2015

Honestly a upcoming Glitch and PDT update would be much more interesting to me.

• Information