Design a synth UI

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Nirude

20 Jul 2015

My name suggestion was Aega, some Greek goddess, no one commented on that. I would say that name fits to the look if Ochen would use my design. Anyway: if Eustis design would win then I would call it:
OldsKool-wave by OchenK

Cheers, can't do much rendering now. I be chillin right now in the hospital with my 22h old mini-me.
3d man.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

20 Jul 2015

Let's name it after your son ;) !

thala

20 Jul 2015

here is another vote for eustis synth name: OCEAN

Nirude

20 Jul 2015

Hahah After My son eh? He will be Luka
3d man.

satyr32

20 Jul 2015

Massimmo, only complaint I have is the typeface, i guess it is bank gothic. It is so incredibly overused and it is not modern or futuristic at all. Maybe you can come up with a similar but more modern font like Stratum, FF Cube, Industry, Geogrotesque, Bourgeois or Shentox.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Nirude

20 Jul 2015

I vision came to me. I'm still in the hospital but I'll be home in 7hours and I'll model a completely new synth. If you ask what will happen, I would answer with a movie quote from "2010 the year we make contact" where David Bowman says... "something beautiful".
The synth won't be named Hal-9000 but with same inspiration..
3d man.

jfrichards

20 Jul 2015

Just started doing full-scale visuals of the Ochen designs in studio use. The Nirude/Massimmo is gorgeous. And visually very intuitive. The knobs, sliders, and buttons on the MPK88 are feeling the love.
Attachments
OchenK waveshaper in use.JPG
OchenK waveshaper in use.JPG (459.79 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Last edited by jfrichards on 20 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

jfrichards

20 Jul 2015

Dirk's is cool too
Attachments
Dirk OchenK.JPG
Dirk OchenK.JPG (454.67 KiB) Viewed 1871 times

Laser Rot

20 Jul 2015

Nirude's white and blue is by far my favorite. I think the white needs a metal finish texture added, and I'm not the biggest fan of the blue. I would rather see a dark grey.

Just my 2 cents!
Nominated for Best R&B, Funk or Soul Album 2022 San Diego Music Awards
#22 Laser Rot - FunkTonic

Audio: https://laserrot.me
Visual: https://joshmccann.art

jfrichards

20 Jul 2015

The Nirude is seriously 21st Century looking, in a good way.
Attachments
Nirude Ochen.JPG
Nirude Ochen.JPG (497.51 KiB) Viewed 1854 times

jfrichards

20 Jul 2015

And the original inspiration has its own charm.
Attachments
ochen ochen.JPG
ochen ochen.JPG (524.75 KiB) Viewed 1853 times

eXode

20 Jul 2015

jfrichards wrote:Just started doing full-scale visuals of the Ochen designs in studio use. The Nirude/Massimmo is gorgeous. And visually very intuitive. The knobs, sliders, and buttons on the MPK88 are feeling the love.
This reminds me why I'd like to see device zooming in the Reason rack... :)

Imagine being able to bring up a device nearly full screen like this when tweaking. That would be awesome.

jfrichards

20 Jul 2015

eXode wrote:...Imagine being able to bring up a device nearly full screen like this when tweaking. That would be awesome.
I do it every day. It is awesome. With the Mouse Knob Range on Very Precise too, it is joyful. What OS are you on?

Puckboy2000

20 Jul 2015

I agree. I think you should be able to pop out a device to full screen like you can pop out the mixer , etc
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

pjeudy

20 Jul 2015

Massimo wrote:Sorry...something went wrong while I attached the files (-;
very cool source for your inspiration
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

eXode

20 Jul 2015

jfrichards wrote:
eXode wrote:...Imagine being able to bring up a device nearly full screen like this when tweaking. That would be awesome.
I do it every day. It is awesome. With the Mouse Knob Range on Very Precise too, it is joyful. What OS are you on?
Yeah I know it's possible, but it's hardly full res, or you're running your monitor at a very low res... :)

I'm talking actual support for device zoom built into Reason.

dhruan

20 Jul 2015

Vector based UI would solve that problem... ;)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

PZP

20 Jul 2015

I think this layout is almost spot on... but the color scheme is too much like 'other' synths....

I'd probably go more along the lines of the white plastic look of ochens other devices with other colors that arent currently found in other synths in Reason... something like this quick photoshop edit?

TheMiles

20 Jul 2015

PZP wrote:I think this layout is almost spot on... but the color scheme is too much like 'other' synths....

I'd probably go more along the lines of the white plastic look of ochens other devices with other colors that arent currently found in other synths in Reason... something like this quick photoshop edit?

Love this UI! Up till now its the best layout IMO!

joeyluck

21 Jul 2015

PZP wrote:I think this layout is almost spot on... but the color scheme is too much like 'other' synths....

I am a fan of purples, but not this scheme. Although, this is a good point to make for Massimo and Ochen if it comes down to "It looks too much like this or that" as changing a few colors helps to avoid that.

Honestly, I think it would look better if the screens weren't shaded with the color as well. It's a bit of an overuse. But might look better if used just the same as Massimo has.

ochenk

22 Jul 2015

So I just went through all the designs. They look awesome. And the discussion and suggestions and refinements were really fun to watch. By my count, there are 14 designs posted, many with multiple revisions, but I’m going to go ahead and select three winners.

In first place, Massimo. I’m usually drawn to designs that look like they’d naturally fit within the Reason rack, but also look unique, and I think Massimo’s does that nicely. The edge buttons look really cool, as does the tilt and round push buttons. It’s a design that looks modern without trying to look futuristic. Exactly what I love. Nice job.

In second place, Nirude. I especially like the white and blue version. Again, this would fit in Reason rack very nicely. It would look totally at home next to a Rob Papen or Blamsoft synth. To me, this shows how nice a design can be made with stock knobs and buttons. (I know Nirude 3D modeled these, but there are very similar elements provided with the SDK, so this design could be remade with stock parts.) Very nice!

And in third place, eusi, for sticking with the original 3D case model and pushing it towards it’s natural conclusion. It would be fun to have an old green screen console in the Rack.

So Massimo, Nirude, and eusi, send me a direct message here with your Propellerhead user ID and I’ll get you your prizes.

Thanks to everyone for hanging out here and adding to the thread, either through designs and/or through discussion. I hope it was as fun for you guys as it was for me to read it.

In the mean time, I’ve finished my design for the synth, and will post a preview soon with a call for beta testers and patch developers. So stay tuned!

pjeudy

22 Jul 2015

Ochenk did you take your original design further....or is it a hybrid of what Nirure and massimo designed?
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

eusti

22 Jul 2015

pjeudy wrote:Ochenk did you take your original design further....or is it a hybrid of what Nirure and massimo designed?
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7490723

D.

decibel

22 Jul 2015

wow, thats disappointing, most of us guys came up with better GUI's i recon ? last time i waste time on something like this ;) lol
Attachments
tsunami in rack preview 0.2.jpg
tsunami in rack preview 0.2.jpg (748.15 KiB) Viewed 1653 times

Nirude

22 Jul 2015

decibel wrote:....last time i waste time on something like this ;) lol
Well I didn't do this feeling that I have to win this :) I was in for fun and didn't even think about any prize.
I had a new idea but I was thinking I need to withdraw from this, just don't have time.
Two words and a smiley: baby + hospital + :|

Anyways. Thanks to OchenK, I'll send my username.
3d man.

• Information