Red Rock Sound's Red70 Song Challenge | The Announcement

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

20 Aug 2015

Welcome to Reasonistas and Red Rock Sound's Red70 Synth Song Challenge.

THE RULES
  • Judge's decision is final
  • Only 3 winners and 6 prizes total. No cash alternative.
  • Song challenge begins Thursday, August 20th, 2015
  • Song challenge ends Saturday, Sep 19th, 2015 @ 11:59 pm EST
  • All entries must be uploaded to the Red Rock Sound's Red70 Synth Song Challenge SoundCloud Group
  • After the closing date, you are not allowed to change, alter or resubmit your entry. Any resubmissions or alterations will result in disqualification
  • All entrants, when requested, must be prepared to provide evidence that the rules have been adhered to. This includes providing a copy of the Reason song file to verify that only the Red70 synth was used for synth sounds.
What you may use in your song:
  • Red70 Synth Re for all synth sounds
  • Any Reason native and rack extension Effects and Utilities (no external plug-ins or hardware)
  • Any drums except external plug-ins
  • Recorded instruments and vocals (excluding external synths)
  • Vocal samples
  • Collaboration for any of the above
What you may not use in your song:
  • Any synth that is not Red70 (including Combinators featuring Red70 that include any other synth)
  • Any instrument samples (you can use drums samples and samples of Red70)
  • Any programs outside of Reason that generate synth sounds
  • Any copyrighted material
THE SUBMISSION
All participant songs must be uploaded to SoundCloud and submitted to the Red Rock Sound's Red70 Synth Song Challenge group:
https: //soundcloud.com/groups/red70-song-challenge

There will be no submissions thread on the forum so please ensure you upload to SoundCloud and then add your tracks to the group page, ensuring you use your forum and Reason user name so that we can easily identify you.

THE JUDGES
Red Rock Sound
Noel G. (NoelGMusic)

The judging will be based off the following criteria:
  • Showcasing of the Red70 Synth
  • Arrangement and songwriting
  • Originality and creativity
  • Mixing and engineering
THE PRIZES
1st place: Red70 Synth, C1-L1 Compressor and RE200 Bass Enhancer
2nd place: Red70 Synth and Ivoks Synth
3rd place: Red70 Synth

Red70 Synth Re download: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/

Good luck to everyone!
Last edited by Reasonistas on 03 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

EnochLight

20 Aug 2015

Noel G. wrote:NØEL G.

My latest work using Reason 8.3
Dude... I don't want to detract from the thread but I just have to chime in and say your Retrowave mix of "Today and Forever" for HMGNC freak'n rocks man!!! It's literally dripping in 80's awesomeness; well done!! Probably my favorite version of the song, including the original. :thumbs_up:

Oh and, Red70 Song Challenge FTW!!!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2015

I'm in. And if you are thinking 80's then you will love (or at least be amused by) my entry.

"Red For 70 (Dancing in the Lasers)" is a play on both the synth name and Hi-NRG of the mid-80's. If nothing else I had fun.

Now with added video

:)
Last edited by Benedict on 22 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Shokstar

21 Aug 2015

is it allowed to use third party RE´s for this contest like RP-Verb or Buffre?

JoshuaPhilgarlic

21 Aug 2015

Shokstar wrote:is it allowed to use third party RE´s for this contest like RP-Verb or Buffre?
Are there any 3rd party REs mentioned...?
Noel G. wrote:What you may not use in your song:
Any synth that is not Red70 (including Combinators featuring Red70 that include any other synth)
Any instrument samples (you can use drums samples and samples of Red70)
Any programs outside of Reason that generate synth sounds
Any copyrighted material

EnochLight

21 Aug 2015

Shokstar wrote:is it allowed to use third party RE´s for this contest like RP-Verb or Buffre?
Any Reason native and rack extension Effects and Utilities are permitted.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Shokstar

21 Aug 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Any Reason native and rack extension Effects and Utilities are permitted.
I know, and I thought sometimes it was in connection with Reason´s free RE´s only like A.R.T. and Pulsar :)

Reasonistas
RE Developer

21 Aug 2015

EnochLight wrote:

Dude... I don't want to detract from the thread but I just have to chime in and say your Retrowave mix of "Today and Forever" for HMGNC freak'n rocks man!!! It's literally dripping in 80's awesomeness; well done!! Probably my favorite version of the song, including the original. :thumbs_up:

Oh and, Red70 Song Challenge FTW!!!
Thanks, EnochLight! Glad you like my remix. As soon as I heard the original, the melody reminded me of the 80s so I went for it and it worked out well.
ImageImageImage

colcifer

21 Aug 2015

Good on RRS, for the generous prizes. Pity - I'm still on 6.5.

pLansford

22 Aug 2015

EnochLight wrote:

Hello - I just wanted to echo Mr. Light and say that remix is really cool! Anyways, I hope I can participate in this contest. I will listen to all of the entries when it's done but I already heard Benedict's great work because I'm subscribed to his YT channel.

Namahs Amrak

22 Aug 2015

How's the CPU hit with this device ? I enjoy these challenges, but it' a real hassle sometimes if I need to bounce tracks out to audio (for 'proof', I also back up a separate project file for each section that I bounce out, in he event that I need to provide evidence of adhering to the rules).

The previous QUAD challenge was a nightmare. Vecto was a bit better for CPU usage, and I had a great song, but life got in the way and I was unable to finish it before the deadline.
My Words are my ART

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2015

Red 70 seems pretty good. Definitely not a shocker at all.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Namahs Amrak

22 Aug 2015

Goon on you, Benedict ! Just downloaded, going to give it a crack. Are you planning on more entries ? While your music is generally not to my taste, I am always interested in what you produce, you have a great way of putting sounds together.
My Words are my ART

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2015

Thanks. Not planning any more entries. One is enough to lose with. if I entered 10 times and they all lost I might get depressed LOL.
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Arrant
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote: The previous QUAD challenge was a nightmare. Vecto was a bit better for CPU usage, and I had a great song, but life got in the way and I was unable to finish it before the deadline.
Yup, had huge problems with Quad DSP during the challenge as well, at the end I couldn't really play my song without exporting.
You'll be glad to know Quad uses A LOT less juice these days after an update, same thing with the other RP products I believe. :thumbs_up:

Namahs Amrak

23 Aug 2015

Thanks... But I would never buy QUAD, was completely unimpressed with the sound. In fact even with a runner up prize of 60% off it still wasn't enough to entice me. Vecto, on the other hand, was great, and if I were to buy another synth (very unlikely) it would be that.

RED70 is surprising me though.I didn't think much of it when I launched (vintage synths dont inspire me) but after 5 hours there are some great sounds coming out! Shame I have hit the CPU ceiling. Seven synths, three alligators, one syncronous and four octorex doesnt feel enough to be crashing songs so I think its time for a new computer. In so sick of this happening all the goddamn time
My Words are my ART

Nirude

23 Aug 2015

I have to "mos def" take a part on this song challenge.

Most definitely.
3d man.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

24 Aug 2015

Okay, there are only two contibutions so far, but I like both of them a lot. They are sooo retro. Hope to hear more of this kind :D !!!

TheMiles

26 Aug 2015

OK just to clarify : I may NOT sample a sound of my guitar and make an Nnxt out of it, but I MAY play a melody with my guitar and use it ? That right ??

Just need to know, sorry if my question sounds stupid :/

Reasonistas
RE Developer

27 Aug 2015

TheMiles wrote:OK just to clarify : I may NOT sample a sound of my guitar and make an Nnxt out of it, but I MAY play a melody with my guitar and use it ? That right ??

Yes, that is correct.
ImageImageImage

TheMiles

27 Aug 2015

Noel G. wrote:
TheMiles wrote:OK just to clarify : I may NOT sample a sound of my guitar and make an Nnxt out of it, but I MAY play a melody with my guitar and use it ? That right ??

Yes, that is correct.
Thanks a lot Noel!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2015

Hi everybody.
This is my first post here on Reasontalk and also my first time trying out one of these synth song challenges.
I have a feeling it won't be my last time entering these competitions, cause it looks really fun. And what I great way to try out new REs.

Just a question, are you allowed to enter with more than one song per challenge?

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

Wecome. There's another challenge presently running on the 'Zero' synth. Check it out !

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7491125

As for how many songs per challenge, I was of the impression that there's no limit, but I'm sure Noel will clarify when he sees your post,
My Words are my ART

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Wecome. There's another challenge presently running on the 'Zero' synth. Check it out !

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7491125

As for how many songs per challenge, I was of the impression that there's no limit, but I'm sure Noel will clarify when he sees your post,
Thanks. I'll check out the Zero synth challenge. Zero looks a little more complex compared to Red70 but if I find the time I'll try to finish a track with that one too.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

29 Aug 2015

TritoneAddiction wrote: Just a question, are you allowed to enter with more than one song per challenge?
Yes, you may enter as many songs as you want, but each song must be an original, not variations of songs already submitted.
ImageImageImage

• Information