Red Rock Sound's Red70 Song Challenge | The Announcement

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2015

Noel G. wrote:Yes, you may enter as many songs as you want, but each song must be an original, not variations of songs already submitted.
Alright, thanks :)

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

Noel G. wrote: Yes, you may enter as many songs as you want, but each song must be an original, not variations of songs already submitted.
That's an interesting point. I was working on a Red70 song until I got the shits with it, and started reworking the track for a Zero entry. Considered that if I had time I would revisit the original (Red version) for entry, but I'll not bother now :)

I sometimes wonder if some people simply rework existing material so they aren't 'writing' a new track for challenges. Is that a problem if a song have been published to the web previously, but not part of a competition ?

Personally, I LIKE sitting down making a new song from scratch under the limitations of a single instrument (less drums & percs) because it always uncovers a style that I would not have done if left to my own devices.
My Words are my ART

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

Cool thanks for the opportunity. Came up with a pretty cool lead with Red70 and Echobode.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

30 Aug 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote: I sometimes wonder if some people simply rework existing material so they aren't 'writing' a new track for challenges. Is that a problem if a song have been published to the web previously, but not part of a competition?
Yes, this is acceptable. After all, a good song is a good song regardless of when it was created. The only qualification in these cases is that every synth sound must originate from the competition's synth.
ImageImageImage

KnowKontrol

12 Sep 2015

how often are these these competition? These have been kinda fun... and are forcing me to make music. Even if I am being well out classed.

Arrant
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2015

Usually the challenges coincide with a new instrument RE hitting the store. There are three of them right now, which is unusual, but there may be months before the next one. Although the rate of REs seems to be increasing, so the challenges may be increasing in frequency as well :)

KnowKontrol

13 Sep 2015

Arrant wrote:Usually the challenges coincide with a new instrument RE hitting the store. There are three of them right now, which is unusual, but there may be months before the next one. Although the rate of REs seems to be increasing, so the challenges may be increasing in frequency as well :)
I hope so these are kinda fun. OP do you know when the soundcloud group will be updated? I am curious as to what other people have made.

Arrant
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2015

KnowKontrol wrote: I hope so these are kinda fun. OP do you know when the soundcloud group will be updated? I am curious as to what other people have made.
The contestants upload their songs individually when they are ready, so it would be mighty impressive if Noel knew when they were ready ;)
Usually there are a few contestants that hold back their work to just before the deadline.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

14 Sep 2015

KnowKontrol wrote:
Arrant wrote:Usually the challenges coincide with a new instrument RE hitting the store. There are three of them right now, which is unusual, but there may be months before the next one. Although the rate of REs seems to be increasing, so the challenges may be increasing in frequency as well :)
I hope so these are kinda fun. OP do you know when the soundcloud group will be updated? I am curious as to what other people have made.
All of our SoundCloud song challenge groups are moderated to prevent non-challenges songs from being added to the group. We do our best to review and approve songs within hours of someone uploading their song and adding it to the group. This means the group is usually up to date with all song submitted to date.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

14 Sep 2015

Thanks for responding Arrant. You are correct!
ImageImageImage

KnowKontrol

14 Sep 2015

Noel G. wrote:
KnowKontrol wrote:
All of our SoundCloud song challenge groups are moderated to prevent non-challenges songs from being added to the group. We do our best to review and approve songs within hours of someone uploading their song and adding it to the group. This means the group is usually up to date with all song submitted to date.
Thanks :P I was thinking more people had put in... that answer was a good one for Arrant. Folk keeping their hand close to their chest.

TheMiles

19 Sep 2015

Tried to add my song to the red70 song challenge group, but it does not appear in the list :/.

There was a popup saying that it needs moderation. I didn't see it the first time it appeared and tried to add it another time (and I think yet another time, sorry for that)...
I am getting a little nervous as I really want to participate and I did put quite a lot of work in my track.
How long does it take for the track to be approved, am I safe having uploaded before the deadline ?

KnowKontrol

19 Sep 2015

TheMiles wrote:Tried to add my song to the red70 song challenge group, but it does not appear in the list :/.

There was a popup saying that it needs moderation. I didn't see it the first time it appeared and tried to add it another time (and I think yet another time, sorry for that)...
I am getting a little nervous as I really want to participate and I did put quite a lot of work in my track.
How long does it take for the track to be approved, am I safe having uploaded before the deadline ?

He is pretty quick with it. As long as you sent it to the page I'm guessing you are golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reasonistas
RE Developer

19 Sep 2015

All songs submitted so far have been approved. So far we have 12 participants and hoping more upload their songs before today 11:59 pm EST deadline. Good luck to those already in the running and to those still working until the last minute.
ImageImageImage

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2015

TheMiles wrote:Tried to add my song to the red70 song challenge group, but it does not appear in the list :/.

+1

Particularly sad as unlike many previous contests I thought I had made the deadline this time :roll:

Both my attempts to upload my entry appear on my soundcloud, but never reached the group, so far at least . In my initial panic I sent Noel G. a quick note via Soundcloud 's messages, as something about moderation appeared when I tried to add one of the existing uploads to the group . It's not that I stand a chance winning it's just nice entering these contests , for the fun of it.

Arrant
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2015

Relax guys, it's the submission that counts. Since it's a moderated group your tracks need to be approved before they show up in the group. Obviously Noel can't approve tracks 24-7. As long as you added your tracks to the group in time I'm sure they will be in the running :)
Last edited by Arrant on 20 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2015

Cheers Arrant. I understand now. the problems i have with tech, i just assumed it was me!
this status giving delay threw me . from what I remember other contest group 's displayed tunes immediately -presumably those used non-moderated groups .

Reasonistas
RE Developer

20 Sep 2015

Yes, all song challenges we've hosted have been moderated to prevent non-challenge songs from being added to the group.

All 13 songs submitted have been approved and the submission period is now closed. We will review all 13 songs submitted and will come back with the winner announcements in about 1 week or less. Thanks to those that participated. Good luck.
ImageImageImage

deepndark

24 Sep 2015

Hey, there's something wrong: When i open my Red 70 song i submitted, all the sounds sound off. The vocals don't match with the synths and the synths don't sound the same as before. I don't even know if the Reason file I sent, sounds off or not. Any idea what has happened to the file? My rendered wav is different from the reason file and i haven't done any changes. Weird. Only thing I did was changing the title Red Power to Red_Power, before I sent it to Noel.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2015

deepndark wrote:Hey, there's something wrong: When i open my Red 70 song i submitted, all the sounds sound off. The vocals don't match with the synths and the synths don't sound the same as before. I don't even know if the Reason file I sent, sounds off or not. Any idea what has happened to the file? My rendered wav is different from the reason file and i haven't done any changes. Weird. Only thing I did was changing the title Red Power to Red_Power, before I sent it to Noel.
I think the pitch was low on the first version of the synth. I'm guessing you downloaded the synth again after the song challenge and now the pitch is as it should have been in the first place. But of course your vocals will not be in pitch with the new version of the synth. Try tuning the "Master tune" on all the synth tracks and your problem will most likely be solved.

deepndark

26 Sep 2015

TritoneAddiction wrote:
deepndark wrote:Hey, there's something wrong: When i open my Red 70 song i submitted, all the sounds sound off. The vocals don't match with the synths and the synths don't sound the same as before. I don't even know if the Reason file I sent, sounds off or not. Any idea what has happened to the file? My rendered wav is different from the reason file and i haven't done any changes. Weird. Only thing I did was changing the title Red Power to Red_Power, before I sent it to Noel.
I think the pitch was low on the first version of the synth. I'm guessing you downloaded the synth again after the song challenge and now the pitch is as it should have been in the first place. But of course your vocals will not be in pitch with the new version of the synth. Try tuning the "Master tune" on all the synth tracks and your problem will most likely be solved.
Ok, I will see if I can tune them right, thanks! Do you happen to know how much they need to be tuned?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2015

deepndark wrote: Ok, I will see if I can tune them right, thanks! Do you happen to know how much they need to be tuned?
I think the Master tune knob should be turned all the way to the left. Or it could be all the way to right, not sure. But try it. Hopefully it's that simple.

deepndark

26 Sep 2015

TritoneAddiction wrote:
deepndark wrote: Ok, I will see if I can tune them right, thanks! Do you happen to know how much they need to be tuned?
I think the Master tune knob should be turned all the way to the left. Or it could be all the way to right, not sure. But try it. Hopefully it's that simple.
I'll try that, thank you! :D

• Information