Blamsoft Zero Hybrid Synth Song Challenge | The Announcement

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

09 Sep 2015

RustyShakleforde wrote:can use my own drum samples (yes?) Tracks must be processed with bundled reason utilities and effects including propeller-heads Re's?

Yes

So i cant use my Nucleus Soundlab Beat Crush?

Yes

Where it says "Recorded instruments and vocals" does this mean, say, a Rhodes Loop .REX from a refill?
Just wanted to check before i take any time to make something!

No, you can only record your own acoustic instruments. Rhodes is an electronic instrument.

Cheers in advance!

Good luck everyone :)
Last edited by Reasonistas on 09 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

RustyShakleforde

09 Sep 2015

Ahh, Nice one. Good point on the Rhodes! :)

boobytrap

10 Sep 2015

This is my Simple entry and it's about the Growl I wanted to make with reason since 2 years.

One M-Class EQ & One M-Class Maximizer. No Distortion. Pure Zero Sounds but Drums.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Faastwalker

10 Sep 2015

Recently added. This didn't start off as an entry for this competition. But by the time it was finished I had nothing but Zero's as sound sources in the rack. A truly inspiring synth. I've been listening to a lot of Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross soundtracks lately (Gone Girl, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo especially). Love their film scores. Dark & brooding. I wanted to do something along these lines. kind of Drone / Soundscape style but quite dramatic & cinematic with it. This is mostly patches from Zero's library that I tweaked a bit where needed. The track name just popped into my head as an idea when I was walking home from the pub a couple of days ago. Not sure where it came from. But anyway it stuck!

deepndark

11 Sep 2015

Ok, got my tune up too, before going to my parents to celebrate my 35th birthday. Few words about this synth: I'm really liking how this synth sounds. By first I was thinking, this sounds ok - but when the tune was finished, I thought "this sounds even better than just ok". Some EQing and BAM, you have very musical sounds for your music. :cool:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2015

Is it ok if I use another limiter outside of Reason for mastering? It's just to get the volume up without distorting the sound. Everything else is mixed in Reason. I don't have any decent mastering tools in Reason and I don't want to buy a new limiter just for a song challenge.
I know it says "no external plug-ins", but like I said it's just to get the volume up.

To clarify, the limiter I use is Ozone Maximizer in Izotope Ozone 4 so it's basically the same as the rack extension version anyway, the only difference is I wouldn't have to pay for it twice.

Emian

12 Sep 2015

TritoneAddiction wrote:Is it ok if I use another limiter outside of Reason for mastering? It's just to get the volume up without distorting the sound. Everything else is mixed in Reason. I don't have any decent mastering tools in Reason and I don't want to buy a new limiter just for a song challenge.
I know it says "no external plug-ins", but like I said it's just to get the volume up.

To clarify, the limiter I use is Ozone Maximizer in Izotope Ozone 4 so it's basically the same as the rack extension version anyway, the only difference is I wouldn't have to pay for it twice.
why not trial the Ozone RE, or Kratos or Titan; & use those in the contest?

The beauty of these contests is it's all 100% Reason, it should stay like that, my 2 cents...

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Reasonistas
RE Developer

12 Sep 2015

Emian wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:Is it ok if I use another limiter outside of Reason for mastering? It's just to get the volume up without distorting the sound. Everything else is mixed in Reason. I don't have any decent mastering tools in Reason and I don't want to buy a new limiter just for a song challenge.

The beauty of these contests is it's all 100% Reason, it should stay like that, my 2 cents...
Sorry, these have been the rules since day one. They are meant to highlight not only the device being showcased, but also that entire songs can be done entirely in Reason from beginning to "mastering". I think Emian's suggestion to trial any one of the three maximizers is a good solution.
ImageImageImage

Arrant
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2015

What a prize for this one. I want ALL THE REs!!!! :D

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2015

Emian wrote:

I can see your point. I did actually try the limiters you suggested and also the Onyx Limiter. Kratos and Onyx seemed pretty good. Titan didn't work for me at all. I liked Ozone the best, which I already own outside of Reason so I probably won't buy any of them.
The only reason I would buy a limiter for Reason is for these song challenges, and that's not a big enough reason since the point is to win stuff, not pay for stuff :)
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 12 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2015

Noel G. wrote:

Sorry, these have been the rules since day one. They are meant to highlight not only the device being showcased, but also that entire songs can be done entirely in Reason from beginning to "mastering". I think Emian's suggestion to trial any one of the three maximizers is a good solution.
Ok, I understand. Thanks for responding. I tried the limiters but they got either too distorted or sounded too compressed to my ears. I still liked Ozone the best for being the most transparent sounding limiter, but I won't buy the same product twice. I guess I'll just have to live with some quieter mixes for these challenges. Hopefully songs won't be judged by pure volume.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2015

Here's my entry. This is my second track written for a song challenge. These competitions are great for trying out new synths. This one was a lot harder to figure out than Red70.

Iggster

16 Sep 2015

Noel,

Have Blamsoft confirmed that they will extend the discount period for those entering the song challenge similar to the other developers/previous song challenges?

raymondh

16 Sep 2015

Firstly Happy Birthday to Deepndark! Hope you had a great one!

Here's my entry. Certainly really impressed with Zero, there's a lot to explore and I suspect it will take a long time to get really good at programming it.

deepndark

16 Sep 2015

raymondh wrote:Firstly Happy Birthday to Deepndark! Hope you had a great one!

Here's my entry. Certainly really impressed with Zero, there's a lot to explore and I suspect it will take a long time to get really good at programming it.

Thanks! My birthday party was vey nice. Hey, your tune is really good. ;)

raymondh

17 Sep 2015

deepndark wrote:
raymondh wrote:Firstly Happy Birthday to Deepndark! Hope you had a great one!

Thanks! My birthday party was vey nice. Hey, your tune is really good. ;)
Thank you :) So does your track. Cool Euro-Dance!

raymondh

17 Sep 2015

Iggster wrote:Noel,

Have Blamsoft confirmed that they will extend the discount period for those entering the song challenge similar to the other developers/previous song challenges?
Just noticed this one ... good question! :thumbs_up:

Blamsoft
RE Developer

18 Sep 2015

The introductory price for Zero has been extended through October 4. So there should be plenty of time for contest participants to get the special price.

raymondh

18 Sep 2015

Blamsoft wrote:The introductory price for Zero has been extended through October 4. So there should be plenty of time for contest participants to get the special price.
That's great news! Thanks very much! :)

Iggster

20 Sep 2015

Blamsoft wrote:The introductory price for Zero has been extended through October 4. So there should be plenty of time for contest participants to get the special price.
Good news and congrats on releasing such a great synth!... I now have to get my finger out and make sure I get my song into the competition in time!

VHS

22 Sep 2015

Good lord, there are some good producers on here. Best of luck to everyone. :puf_smile:

Reasonistas
RE Developer

22 Sep 2015

Wow, this is turning out to be a tough one to judge.

Would be great if all of you send me your custom made Zero patches so we can create a Zero community refill. If you are interested, send your patches to me via pm and I will make the refill.

Thanks!
ImageImageImage

Noise
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2015

I've been listening to most of the entries, there are amazing tracks there!
Just submited my track!

Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

raymondh

23 Sep 2015

Hi Noel

Having a bit of trouble sending a PM - probably a user error! Anyway here's a link to two simple patches:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/502 ... atches.zip

cheers, Raymond

• Information