Some Reflections on Antidote

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
riemac

19 Sep 2015

eXode wrote:Disclaimer: This is just a mockup - This is not in development
Here's a very quick and dirty hack job in a photo editor. This is what a sequel to Antidote could look like, in my opinion. I've toyed with the idea of removing the arpeggiator in favor of a second mod destination row. I'm not saying that I want it like that, but I wanted to see what it could look like.
antidote_front.png
Hi Exode,

I like your mockup for an update off Antidote very much.
Especially the 3 Oscillators and a second Filter. Keeping backward compatibility would be importend, maybe that would be easier with a switch for a second layer/page, like in Sylenth1.

Don't you know someone from Synapse, so that you could contact him and make some suggestions for an update?
I think there would be a lot users, who would pay for an update, me includet.

For me it would be very importend to implement different detuning options like in Dune 2.

selig
RE Developer

19 Sep 2015

eXode wrote:Disclaimer: This is just a mockup - This is not in development
Here's a very quick and dirty hack job in a photo editor. This is what a sequel to Antidote could look like, in my opinion. I've toyed with the idea of removing the arpeggiator in favor of a second mod destination row. I'm not saying that I want it like that, but I wanted to see what it could look like.
antidote_front.png
+1

Where are the mixer controls for Osc 3?!?

I would suggest putting the level controls with their Oscillator counterparts, on rotaries to save space. Having the mixer AFTER the filters (in layout terms) doesn't make sense to me. Love the addition of a second destination (I don't seem to get along with the onboard arpeggiator anyway, so no loss there IMO). I STILL want the envelopes to have sliders though. And the drift knob would have to go somewhere, though I don't especially find it even needs to be on the front panel FWIW.
:)

EDIT: I'll see your dirty hack job and raise you one dirtier and hackier version, with the mixer elements moved to the oscillator section and why not add a second mod envelope?!?:
Selig Audio, LLC

eXode

19 Sep 2015

riemac wrote:Hi Exode,

I like your mockup for an update off Antidote very much.
Especially the 3 Oscillators and a second Filter. Keeping backward compatibility would be importend, maybe that would be easier with a switch for a second layer/page, like in Sylenth1.

Don't you know someone from Synapse, so that you could contact him and make some suggestions for an update?
I think there would be a lot users, who would pay for an update, me includet.

For me it would be very importend to implement different detuning options like in Dune 2.
Thanks, but to be realistic I'm not sure it will (or should) happen. IF (and that's a big IF) Synapse would decide to do Antidote 2 or something along those lines I think they'll do something major, comparable to DUNE/DUNE2, i.e. that the new synth will be it's own product entirely. This is just a guesstimate from my behalf, but to me it seems like the most sensible way to go.

KnowKontrol

19 Sep 2015

The best of all synths by far. There are very few tracks I do that do not have it involved in some form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selig
RE Developer

19 Sep 2015

OK, I had to go ahead and do the "full monty" on this and add the linear sliders for the envelopes - could actually add a few extra stages by using sliders instead of rotary knobs (I'll save that for a latter date).

Selig Audio, LLC

jappe

19 Sep 2015

KnowKontrol wrote:The best of all synths by far. There are very few tracks I do that do not have it involved in some form.

I looked at it and saw Oscillators, filters, just another synth, I already got Thor, don't need this.
Months later I bought it, and now I use it in every tune.
A masterpiece!
The most important thing is: In some magical way it elevates creativity.

KnowKontrol

19 Sep 2015

jappe wrote:
KnowKontrol wrote:The best of all synths by far. There are very few tracks I do that do not have it involved in some form.

I looked at it and saw Oscillators, filters, just another synth, I already got Thor, don't need this.
Months later I bought it, and now I use it in every tune.
A masterpiece!
The most important thing is: In some magical way it elevates creativity.

I even use just the arp with other synths. Is beautiful.

eXode

23 Sep 2015

Disclaimer: This is just a mockup - This is not in development
Here's another quick and dirty hack job in a photo editor. This is a simpler update to Antidote, keeping largely "as is" for most parts, with the addition of a second filter and a routing/saturation section. The filter/saturation setup is pretty much taken from the original Access Virus.
antidote_front.png
Antidote mockup.
antidote_front.png (455.5 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Last edited by eXode on 23 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

mind2069

23 Sep 2015

I had it for a while and did not think much of it at first, but recently its became my to go synth, sound quality and simplicity is unmatched, plus very reasonnable cpu for this quality.

Exowildebeest

23 Sep 2015

Nice mockups... But now add delay and smooth noise to the LFO's, and scale slots to the mod matrix ;)

Exowildebeest

23 Sep 2015

@ Exode: the mixer section is a bit confusing, does it route oscillators to filters, or filters to the mixer? (My Virus C is collecting dust, can't refer to that right now :))

I think I would prefer a Rob Papen approach of a dropdown menu per oscillator that routes the oscs to filters. Then you can have a mixer/saturation section with a similar dropdown menu for processing the filter outputs.

EnochLight

23 Sep 2015

If Richard were able to do a 1:1 port of Dune 2 as a Rack Extension, I would likely completely abandon all desire to have Reveal Sound's Spire as a Rack Extension. Dune 2 is just fantastic!

BTW, awesome Antidote "2" mock ups guys!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eXode

23 Sep 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:@ Exode: the mixer section is a bit confusing, does it route oscillators to filters, or filters to the mixer? (My Virus C is collecting dust, can't refer to that right now :))

I think I would prefer a Rob Papen approach of a dropdown menu per oscillator that routes the oscs to filters. Then you can have a mixer/saturation section with a similar dropdown menu for processing the filter outputs.
The bottom right mixer section is mislabeled, i've updated it to say filter routing instead.

The SER mode sends both oscillators to the Filter 1, followed by Filter 2 in series.
The PAR mode sends both oscillators to both filters in parallel.
The SPLIT mode sends OSC1/SUB1 to Filter 1, and OSC2/Sub2 to Filter 2.
The Saturation is always situated after Filter 1 (again, like the Virus).

raymondh

23 Sep 2015

The (Sallen Key) filter in Antidote is extremely nice (warm and sizzly).

Last night I was playing with u-he Diva (demo). It is absolutely incredible, the filter is as warm and engaging as the filter on my JX8P, but just one instance of Diva consumed my PC CPU!!

Antidote strikes a great balance here IMO.

• Information