Selig Gain RE new version 1.2.3

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gak

10 Oct 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:Funny huh, Imac latest osx and it works fine on mines. Go windows LMAO
Yeah, haha , funny,

meowsqueak
RE Developer

10 Oct 2015

I've fixed the issue but I need a few people to test the new build, please - Mac & Windows.

If you're willing, can you post your Props username here, or email it to me at david@pitchblende.co.nz.

My apologies to everyone affected by this issue. It turned out to be related to a change in "undefined" behaviour in the SDK. The bug concerned has always been present in Gain, but was benign and therefore undiscovered until now. Version 1.2.3 involved an update to SDK2.2, and something changed with the SDK2.2 compiler in Windows that now triggers the crash on that platform. It's a bit nasty that it sometimes brings down Reason too - but that's what undefined behaviour means I suppose! I'm sorry to anyone that has lost work because of this issue.

selig
RE Developer

10 Oct 2015

If anyone affected by this bug would like some form of compensation for their troubles, please contact me at
gilesreaves@seligaudio.com
to discuss getting a free license for any Selig Audio product that you don't already own. If you already own all of our products (and thank you if you do!), I will either provide a free license for the product of your choosing to another user, or give you a rain-check for a future Selig Audio product.

Please accept my sincere apologies for anyone affected by this nasty bug and for the chance to make it up to you!
Giles Reaves
Selig Audio, LLC
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

10 Oct 2015

selig wrote:If anyone affected by this bug would like some form of compensation for their troubles, please contact me at
to discuss getting a free license for any Selig Audio product that you don't already own. If you already own all of our products (and thank you if you do!), I will either provide a free license for the product of your choosing to another user, or give you a rain-check for a future Selig Audio product.

Please accept my sincere apologies for anyone affected by this nasty bug and for the chance to make it up to you!
Giles Reaves
Selig Audio, LLC
I do own all of your devices, Giles, and am not affected as a Mac user, but I think your and Pitchblende's response to this is outstanding!
Sometimes stuff just happens...

D.

gak

10 Oct 2015

That's way too generous, it's just a bug. It's either being fixed or is fixed.

ScuzzyEye

10 Oct 2015

joeyluck wrote:I don't understand bugs such as this.
Aren't REs supposed to work cross platform? If they are future proof (meaning they will work in Reason even with future installments of the OS; granted those OS versions work with Reason) then why the different behaviors across platforms? Is this to say devs need beta testers on different OS's and OS versions? Would seem very un-Rack Extension-like if that were the case...at least to my understanding of how REs have been advertised.
Bugs in code don't necessarily present themselves the same across OSes. It's up to developers to write buggy code that runs the same on every platform, the RE SDK doesn't handle that for them. ;)

A good example: When a program requests a segment of memory on Mac OS, it's delivered filled with zeros automatically. This takes more time, and isn't needed if the program will never read from that memory before writing to it. On Windows, when memory is request it's delivered right away, the contents can be completely random junk. If the program assumes the memory is zero-filled, and then tries to do something working with that assumption, you'll get garbage, or even a crash, as a result. It's generally bad form to use uninitialized memory, but sometimes it's possible for a routine that uses memory to get called before the routine that would have written good data. So Mac OS protects developers from that particular bug, but it's still a bug.

gak

11 Oct 2015

You are fueling the mac flames! :lol:

challism

11 Oct 2015

selig wrote:If anyone affected by this bug would like some form of compensation for their troubles, please contact me at

Giles Reaves
Selig Audio, LLC
This is a very generous offer. I hope only people who are really affected by this take you up on the offer (ie you LOST MONEY because you couldn't perform a gig or do your work). It's a simple bug and it will be fixed. That is a very kind offer, Giles. I own all your devices and would love a rain check for a future Selig product, but I don't feel it is deserved for simply having Gain down for a few days. I will miss it, but I'm not really losing any money from its absence.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

gak

11 Oct 2015

Agreed! But then again, it shows how cool the devs are here.

darkmode

11 Oct 2015

Giles Reaves
Selig Audio, LLC
What an amazing Dev! Quick to fix and apologize and has always been willing and happy to help with advice and free stuff, (Selig Suspended Cymbal ReFill anyone?) on the forums over the years.

Hats off to you sir.

Thank you!

meowsqueak
RE Developer

11 Oct 2015

For anyone interested, the bug here was related to the log function. Taking the logarithm of zero isn't really valid and has library-specific behaviour, but the bug was that the code did attempt to do this in a particular case and didn't guard against it properly. With earlier SDK versions, it didn't cause a crash and the result, whatever it was, did actually successfully compare against a fixed value and the program continued along happily (and the bug remained undetected). But with this build, on Windows, it would just crash the RE, and in some cases crash Reason itself! An interesting difference between Mac and Windows. Of course the mistake we made was to forget to test the build with an updated SDK against Windows, and I'm sorry about that. Lesson learned!

normen

11 Oct 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:If they can both load Giles' device, then yes, yes they probably are.
Lol, so me and you are the same because we can both eat Cheerios...

submonsterz

11 Oct 2015

This may come across as a personal assult etc etc which it is not ok read all I write before making that assumption.
Now to what I want to get clear here is just this.
First of all I see people all ways praising certain people not just the one I am making this post about here there are and have been others...
Why is it people praise selig so much for "HIS" devices when as far as my info is selig is the concept man who pays to have his re`s developed for him by pitchblend "THE CODERS" of said re`s.
I find it quit insulting that pitchblend who have made most of the most talked about and used and praised res over the time get no recognition when it is them to make the fixes (quickly) and to code such nice devices for you all.
Now selig can you verify your actual part in the making of your re`s ? either you are the concept man and pitchblend the coders that work the actual magic that without their services your devices would never be seen or exist .
I will take the leap and say you cannot code yourself and if you can code at all in the said re format there would actually had been no need for pitchblend to code these for you
as other re devs do the code for themselves on there res and do not pay/or cut coders in for a profit from said plug in from sales to have them or other coders involved.
So to me peoples total blank on pitchblend even coming here and saying they have made their fix and people just ignoring the fact it is them that fixes and not actually selig is just plain ignorance.
Sorry I just hate peoples ways on here the give credit where due shite all the time etc etc and the shite about peoples hard work and the such and the recognition they should receive but blankly send it the wrong way to certain people .
My rant of the day over carry on people.

challism

11 Oct 2015

submonsterz wrote:This may come across as a personal assult etc etc which it is not ok read all I write before making that assumption.
First of all I see people all ways praising certain people not just the one I am making this post about here there are and have been others...
Why is it people praise selig so much for "HIS" devices when as far as my info is selig is the concept man who pays to have his re`s developed for him by pitchblend "THE CODERS" of said re`s.
I find it quit insulting that pitchblend who have made most of the most talked about and used and praised res over the time get no recognition when it is them to make the fixes (quickly) and to code such nice devices for you all.
Now selig can you verify your actual part in the making of your re`s ? either you are the concept man and pitchblend the coders that work the actual magic that without their services your devices would never be seen or exist .
I will take the leap and say you cannot code yourself and if you can code at all in the said re format there would actually had been no need for pitchblend to code these for you
as other re devs do the code for themselves on there res and do not pay/or cut coders in for a profit from said plug in from sales to have them or other coders involved.
So to me peoples total blank on pitchblend even coming here and saying they have made their fix and people just ignoring the fact it is them that fixes and not actually selig is just plain ignorance.
Sorry I just hate peoples ways on here the give credit where due shite all the time etc etc and the shite about peoples hard work and the such and the recognition they should receive but blankly send it the wrong way to certain people .
I don't see how this is any of your business, honestly. Perhaps more credit is due to Pitchblend than is given. But I don't understand the tone of your post. I was pretty rude. If Giles can code is completely irrelevant to the fact that he has amazing products and takes great care of his customers. Selig devices are in the shop under Selig Audio, LLC. That's the business who produces them. Who does the coding, who Giles pays to do the coding, whatever deal he has with Pitchblend is completely irrelevant. Do you think Bill Gates knows how to build an XBOX? Steve Jobs knew how to build an iPhone? No. And Frank Sinatra didn't move pianos.

submonsterz

11 Oct 2015

challism wrote:
submonsterz wrote:This may come across as a personal assult etc etc which it is not ok read all I write before making that assumption.
I don't see how this is any of your business, honestly. Perhaps more credit is due to Pitchblend than is given. But I don't understand the tone of your post. I was pretty rude. If Giles can code is completely irrelevant to the fact that he has amazing products and takes great care of his customers. Selig devices are in the shop under Selig Audio, LLC. That's the business who produces them. Who does the coding, who Giles pays to do the coding, whatever deal he has with Pitchblend is completely irrelevant. Do you think Bill Gates knows how to build an XBOX? Steve Jobs knew how to build an iPhone? No. And Frank Sinatra didn't move pianos.
and your point being?
and my point being pitch blend are the coders here yes they do the fixes yes your point being what I'm right .................

normen

11 Oct 2015

So what you're saying is that when I come to your house I ask the mason that built it about the code of conduct? That instead of saying "Uwe Boll movies are bad" I blame his team?

challism

11 Oct 2015

I'm not here to argue with you or turn this into a thread reminiscent of the old PUF. I think your post was rude. I think my post speaks for itself.
Last edited by challism on 11 Oct 2015, edited 1 time in total.

submonsterz

11 Oct 2015

challism wrote:Care to edit your comment any more before I reply? I'm not here to argue with you. I think your post was rude. I think my post speaks for itself. I'm done.
you think rude i think correct .

submonsterz

11 Oct 2015

normen wrote:
So what you're saying is that when I come to your house I ask the mason that built it about the code of conduct? That instead of saying "Uwe Boll movies are bad" I blame his team?
you don't make sense in your post I was saying people giving credit soley to the name on the tin knowing full well the tin has another name on the back that actually made the tin and came back to fix the dent but never got a thank you .
does that make my post clear for ya now ?.

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2015

submonsterz wrote:
challism wrote:Care to edit your comment any more before I reply? I'm not here to argue with you. I think your post was rude. I think my post speaks for itself. I'm done.
Except it is not correct, because I code in XML and .lua for all of these products. So quite literally, I DO code. Now if you want to get specific and ask if I code in a specific language or not, go right ahead and I will answer!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

submonsterz

11 Oct 2015

selig wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
Except it is not correct, because I code in XML and .lua for all of these products. So quite literally, I DO code. Now if you want to get specific and ask if I code in a specific language or not, go right ahead and I will answer!
:)
do you code in c++
and was the fix a fix that had to use c++?
and did you code the fix yourself or did pitchblend make the fix?

normen

11 Oct 2015

submonsterz wrote:you don't make sense in your post I was saying people giving credit soley to the name on the tin knowing full well the tin has another name on the back that actually made the tin and came back to fix the dent but never got a thank you .
So I take it that in all your compositions you thank every coder of every synth you use? Or the people that made the metal casing of your hardware synth? I think people are very aware of the fact that the core DSP code is done by Pitchblende, its written on every RE Selig put out. That doesn't change the fact that how the device code behaves is 100% designed by Selig - and thats what people like about the devices. Or people dislike about Uwe Boll movies for that matter..

challism

11 Oct 2015

Perhaps the bug fix was paid for by Selig Audio, LLC. And perhaps payment for such services was sufficiently accepted as a "thank you." Again, you don't know the workings of his company, so why are getting all bent out of shape over it?

I like McDonald french fries. I liked McDonald on facebook (not really). Am I a dick for not also liking Simplot (McDonald's potato supplier) on facebook? Simplot was paid for their french fries. And McDonalds sold them to me. If I have a problem with the fries, do I go to Simplot and complain? NO, I go to McDonalds. And McDonalds goes to Simplot. PS McDonalds doesn't move pianos, either.
Last edited by challism on 11 Oct 2015, edited 1 time in total.

submonsterz

11 Oct 2015

normen wrote:
submonsterz wrote:you don't make sense in your post I was saying people giving credit soley to the name on the tin knowing full well the tin has another name on the back that actually made the tin and came back to fix the dent but never got a thank you .
So I take it that in all your compositions you thank every coder of every synth you use? Or the people that made the metal casing of your hardware synth? I think people are very aware of the fact that the core DSP code is done by Pitchblende, its written on every RE Selig put out. That doesn't change the fact that how the device code behaves is 100% designed by Selig - and thats what people like about the devices. Or people dislike about Uwe Boll movies for that matter..
then when praising people should praise the team as a whole yes not just selig but maybe a thanks selig and team or thanks selig and pitchblend for the fix .
if I do a job with someone they take the same credit as me its a joint effort not a sole venture.

normen

11 Oct 2015

submonsterz wrote:then when praising people should praise the team as a whole yes not just selig but maybe a thanks selig and team or thanks selig and pitchblend for the fix .
if I do a job with someone they take the same credit as me its a joint effort not a sole venture.
People thanked Selig for the fact that he offered compensation for the problem - something that is solely his decision. In fact, if I wanted to be mean I could say Pitchblende made the mistake and Selig did the damage control - all the more reason to thank Selig specifically. That said, I am grateful for Pitchblende enabling Selig to put out such fantastic devices.

• Information