Blackpole Station Polyphonic Synthesizer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rcbuse
RE Developer

17 Nov 2015

AJ_3000 wrote:Worth demoing at this price.

The IDT format is presumably why no PWM is possible? Sorry if this is off topic, but may I ask are there any other features IDT makes difficult in general? I am thinking maybe osc sync is one? It doesn't seem reasonable to criticize a developer for inherent limitations in the format so I would like to understand the restrictions, to have realistic expectations when considering an IDT instrument. As there seem to be a few lower cost devices appearing are they less involved when it comes to development (i am not suggesting for a minute they are an easy option here!)?
Here is a quote from the IDT press release:

"The new Instrument Development Toolkit makes it possible for developers to easily build professional sample-based instruments without writing C++ code. Current Kontakt and NN-XT instrument designers can import their libraries into IDT, greatly accelerating the process of developing instruments. IDT’s vast built-in effect library, full-featured sampler engine, flexibility and powerful scripting language facilitate the creation of one-of-a-kind instruments."

So as far as sonic features go, you are probably looking whats available in the NNXT combined with reason's stock effect units.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2015

selig wrote:I'm not sure it's safe to say pulse width modulation isn't possible with IDT - done as a wave table process it would be quite simple to pull off IMO. Osc Sync is also possible - can only say I've seen it addressed (not by me) but can't say more. :)
Thanks . A case for 'watch this space' perhaps ?
rcbuse wrote:...Here is a quote from the IDT press release:

"The new Instrument Development Toolkit makes it possible for developers to easily build professional sample-based instruments without writing C++ code. Current Kontakt and NN-XT instrument designers can import their libraries into IDT, greatly accelerating the process of developing instruments. IDT’s vast built-in effect library, full-featured sampler engine, flexibility and powerful scripting language facilitate the creation of one-of-a-kind instruments."

So as far as sonic features go, you are probably looking whats available in the NNXT combined with reason's stock effect units.
That is a helpful way to think about the IDT. Thanks .

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Nov 2015

Thank You all, who interesting in Blackpole. Work on It started at spring. Few times we total change GUI.
In few days in PropShop coming our first update with some new functions and bug-fixes. We talk about it later.

Later, in future plans we think about some changes in gui-size. But I must talk about device size. Understand that part of users need bigger panel, more space... But please, watch on it from side of another users, that use Reason on Laptops, as 13". Big devices in small rack sapce - its big pain. We all must understand, that devices must viewing nice as big screen users, and also as small size monitors of laptops. Yes - now macbooks has retina... All spectre
of devices - very important when we create big panel in rack. And big panels - must have really needs for big size.

Few types of buttons - its too important. We try many variants with buttons, but understand that devices with big quantity of knobs - very hard in work. We must use few types of knobs for better work with GUI. With deeper work with Blackpole, you can understand why any knobs has own design. Its not only first-look design. Its tested and asked by many users.

Look at big synthesizers as Supernova II. Big knob quantities. First look - its crazy.. We can imitate this scale-style in rack, but bigger part of users will start scream - all knobs very small, device for rack small... its bad GUI. Problem in that, real hardware and Reason rack devices not be compared. Scale in Reason rack - smaller... But all users must fork comfort. And create GUi comfort for all, remember about various of resolution of our monitors.. Its really hard if device contain big quantity of elements.

OSC Sync, at this moment cant do this. Its IDT.
rcbuse wrote:Here is a quote from the IDT press release...
..So as far as sonic features go, you are probably looking whats available in the NNXT combined with reason's stock effect units.
Its not fully true.
Press relase of IDT - is old. From his release IDT lightly-mutated. Now its more than just NN-XT with effects. IDT now conatain more modules, that you cant find into Reason devices. Its new way of devices...

Yes, today IDT-standart need big list of MustHave functions.. first as Audio In, CV inputs, deeper modulations, more settings.
Today we seen into IDT more power than into Kontakt libraries, Refills, other....
Its another class-devices. And ITS NOT just NN-XT with effects anyway. Its bigger and deeper with modulations.

Today 1.0.1 update we send for approve. At this week we wait it in PropShop.
Now we think about deeper functions with minimal GUI chages.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2015

AJ_3000 wrote:
selig wrote:I'm not sure it's safe to say pulse width modulation isn't possible with IDT - done as a wave table process it would be quite simple to pull off IMO. Osc Sync is also possible - can only say I've seen it addressed (not by me) but can't say more. :)
Thanks . A case for 'watch this space' perhaps ?
Not too long a wait, as elsewhere :
in Aurora Hybrid Synthesizer Final Preview, M.B wrote: X-Mod controls all the waveforms in a different way like so:

Sawtooth – Phase
Stepped – Shape
Square – Pulse Width
Saw Oct – Shape
Organ – Morph / From Sine-wave to different organs
Bitredux – Morph / Bit-reduced Saw, Sine, Triangle
String – Shape
Distort – Morph

Here we find some waveforms that can be tweaked like most modern waveforms. Like phase-shifting a Sawtooth, or tweaking the pulse-width of a square waveform. Others act like wave-shapers, and others like wavetables.

So seeing it's scope for synthesis, IDT definitely must not be written off as the poor relation in the Rack Extension family, thanks to the efforts of turn2on and other developers creating new devices, like Blackpole Station Polyphonic here.

turn2on
RE Developer

24 Nov 2015

Vers 1.0.1 update

• Some graphic GUI changes (error with CV names)
    Add Keyboard Tracking to 1&2 and Sub OSCs
    Add Velocity Amp
    Bugfix: artefacts at low velocity
Blackpole Station v 1.0.1 - go to PropShop

Today in work next bigger update...

MDTerps2015

24 Dec 2015

Can someone answer me this question....... I trialled this and never paid attention to the DSP usage. I kind of liked it but didnt buy it. I know at 19 dollars with so many options within, its worth just having. The only thing i plead to this developer is whats with the colors. Im trying hard to like this but im one of those who is kind of OCD about colors and the look of my rack. I had a problem with the new MACE RE because it was gray but bought it because i was convinced. Im so tempted because it was a love for the sound but a hate for the colors. I know i will get some negative feedback because of the "colors" thingy but it has been a problem all my life. Colors of all things. I think its the buttons looking orange instead of red. A deep dark red would have sold it. The body is awesome made in black but the blue titles hurt a little. How about your next synth having a black interface with dark red switches. You know what i think my mind is made up because after comparing the two versions, the earlier which i already liked, Im buying. I wish you luck Turn2ON. I like and for what you created 19 is like god sent. Ok i spilled and rambled. Good luck but im sold.
Last edited by MDTerps2015 on 25 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

turn2on
RE Developer

24 Dec 2015

Hi, thank You for critic. Design - important part of any devices. I dont know any design of anything, that liked by all users.
In Blackpole may be on problem with color of knobs. We can change it to light blue (its looks cool, but very bad to work with one color group). We can mute red light in newer versions.. no problem, if few users ask us about it.
Black design with blue colors and red lams - very popular color scheme in hardware synths.
We like to experiment with design but also like make it better as possible for released products.
In meteora we stop work on total change GUI, becouse we wait SDK updates, that help to us add some extras and may be rebuild it. At now, change design totally from minor update to update not better way.
But we listen any ideas and try make ut in future updates.
Thank You

bpmorton

09 May 2016

I'm Trialing this right now. There is some sort of internal distortion or overloading when oscillators are mixed or the multi oscillators are engaged. Many of the presets have this problem even the default/reset patch is internally overloading. I have checked the quality setting on the back and switched it to hi and still overloads. anybody else having this problem?

turn2on
RE Developer

09 May 2016

Hi bpmorto, You talk about various levels of patches. Its true, some patches have various levels.
But as I understand - your problem in Filter sections, Cut/Res Envelopes. Try to work with this section and you can get needed results.
At other way, take one concrete patch and write about problem with it for better understand what you mean under overloading.

Neko the Jaguar

09 May 2016

turn2on wrote:Hi bpmorto, You talk about various levels of patches. Its true, some patches have various levels.
But as I understand - your problem in Filter sections, Cut/Res Envelopes. Try to work with this section and you can get needed results.
At other way, take one concrete patch and write about problem with it for better understand what you mean under overloading.
Off topic, but will there be any update to Meteora? The LFOs seem to be useless, or I'm not doing something right. I like the layout of it, but the lfos seem to do nothing at all.

turn2on
RE Developer

09 May 2016

ny update to Meteora? The LFOs seem to be useless
Thanks for your info about this problem. At this moment into Meteora - TB-line LFO work fine as you can try. Other LFO sections of another lines - work too - but they linked to ModWheel. Try to use ModWheel...

We make some small changes and addition in few days.
At this moment we work, but need some time to prepare and release upgrade.

bpmorton

09 May 2016

Ok, Here is an audio file for the issue I'm speaking of. This is the default patch but with the middle oscillator turned off...just two sine waves (16' and -1) as you add notes the sound starts to flutter in volume. This happens on most patches and gets worse depending on how many oscillators you have or if you have one of the multi oscillators going m on it's own it will make this distorted fluttering sound.
Attachments
Blackpole test.mp3
(7.63 MiB) Downloaded 63 times

bpmorton

09 May 2016

I normally run at 256 samples for a buffer but also tried setting my buffer to 2048 samples and still had this problem with Blackpole.

bpmorton

09 May 2016

Ok, I think I figured out what the problem is. The limiter is defaulted to ON and when turned off the awful noise goes away. I'll test this further with some more patches.

Neko the Jaguar

09 May 2016

turn2on wrote:
ny update to Meteora? The LFOs seem to be useless
Thanks for your info about this problem. At this moment into Meteora - TB-line LFO work fine as you can try. Other LFO sections of another lines - work too - but they linked to ModWheel. Try to use ModWheel...

We make some small changes and addition in few days.
At this moment we work, but need some time to prepare and release upgrade.
Thank you. Didn't realize that I had to use the mod wheel.

Majestik Monkey

09 May 2016

Yes i have a few problems / issues ! [it sounds like Osc 1& 2 sound as if they sometimes cancel each other out !] ??? But of course' with some fine mixing of all three Osc's SuBB included you can find some nice Big phatt round Sound's ,
But its very difficult to control it all
But don't get me wrong !
i still really like the Wild horses approach to how this Synth behaves :lol:

The internal Routing is at the heart of the difficulty of the Blackpole .... :ugeek:

turn2on
RE Developer

10 May 2016

bpmorton wrote:Ok, I think I figured out what the problem is. The limiter is defaulted to ON and when turned off the awful noise goes away. I'll test this further with some more patches.
Yes, I forgot write about Limiter active by Default.

K1TTENM1TTEN

12 May 2016

I am curious, turn2on, will this synth be included in the upcoming May sale? It has always caught my eye, I really like the interface of it, and while I don't think $19 is not trying to break any banks, my budget doesn't currently allow for some new rack eye candy.

mayzon

12 May 2016

Very cool looking and sounding synth. Very cheap too :o Defo on the list!

Well done turn2on!

bpmorton

12 May 2016

After going through a bunch of preset patches my conclusion is that this is a pretty cool synth! My only suggestion would be to re-program those patches that the limiter destroys and have it turned off by default.

Edit: Even with velocity set at zero the softest key press will not trigger a note that would be triggered on Thor.

turn2on
RE Developer

18 May 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:will this synth be included in the upcoming May sale?
Yes, we include to May Madness our products.
bpmorton wrote: Edit: Even with velocity set at zero the softest key press will not trigger a note that would be triggered on Thor.
By default we use Velocity at Min for internal architecture needs and as fact disable it, you not listen sound.
If we turn it on at this situation - users get randomly velocity range with OSC waveforms mix at one time (at min Velocity point).
Its come with v.1.0, and fixed into 1.0.1. But users who really like this random at Vel=min, we create alternative version of Blackpole that not have page at PropShop. We can get this version every user wha ask about it.
Also now we work at upgrade with additions, and think how we may use this situation.
May be we use switching this random_osc_waveforms effect for Velocity=min as On/Off.
But we cant run only one selected stable waveform of OSC at Vel=min.. We cant change architecture of device because its crash patch support system.
Anyway, we know it and work work on it now

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

19 May 2016

gak wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:@Synth: I hope it's not one of those really hoggy things like the mixfood.
I hope to be demoing during the sale period, so do not know personally if CPU load was so significant. Still, it's very good to see the manufacturer has introduced a Sound Quality selection switch to the rear panel. :thumbs_up:

This would be a useful feature on many other devices too imho.

Majestik Monkey

19 May 2016

:mrgreen:

Its a dirty little Boy :lol:

• Information