UJAM's involvement with the A-List series

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

18 Dec 2015

Peter Gorges wrote:Hi all, I can say this much: We have been considering that as soon as the dust has settled over the launch of VG IRON, we will be looking into updating the Rack Extensions, and some of the stuff you've been asking for above is on the list! Thanks for all the feedback!
Thank you for your reply, Peter!

Looking forward to see possible updates to those devices! :)

D.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2015

So the Wizoo Wizards rumour its true!!!! You had a great product when Virtual Guitarrist was around (i was still using it when the A-Lists arrived to my rack!).

Kudos!

joeyluck

18 Dec 2015

Peter Gorges wrote:Hi all, I can say this much: We have been considering that as soon as the dust has settled over the launch of VG IRON, we will be looking into updating the Rack Extensions, and some of the stuff you've been asking for above is on the list! Thanks for all the feedback!
Thanks, Peter! Looking forward to it! Good luck with VG Iron!

joeyluck

20 Dec 2015

One thing I would like to see is for the single strum phrase (Standard 1; or Standard 2) to be a a bit more playable.
I realize many folks might use this to segue into a section or to end a song...I like to use it to make my own rhythms.
Currently, if you try to play another note/chord before releasing the previous, it won't trigger. If you have latch on, you will be waiting for the entire chord to ring out before you can trigger the next... Or is there a trick I am missing?

esselfortium

20 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote:One thing I would like to see is for the single strum phrase (Standard 1) to be a a bit more playable.
I realize many folks might use this to segue into a section or to end a song...I like to use it to make my own rhythms.
Currently, if you try to play another note/chord before releasing the previous, it won't trigger. If you have latch on, you will be waiting for the entire chord to ring out before you can trigger the next... Or is there a trick I am missing?
That is a bit annoying, what I do to get around it is to retrigger the chord itself in the sequencer at the same time that I set the phrase to standard 1.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

neoverse

20 Dec 2015

Peter Gorges wrote:Hi everyone, this is Peter from UJAM. I just happened to find this thread here today and wanted to thank you guys for the nice feedback on our stuff. If you have questions or suggestions for us, feel free to post them and I promise to take them seriously. I can't promise to answer all and everything to everybody's satisfaction though ;)
Peter! Loooong time user of virtual guitarist 2. I was crushed when it stopped working in logic. There was just something about that software that remains unmatched to this day in my opinion.

I like A-list acoustic but it sounds much thinner to my ears than vg2. Vg2 has a thickness in it's sound that I greatly miss. What I miss in a-list the most is the ability to do inversions. I always admired the acoustic section of vg2. I've used it in countless cues. Basically, I would get my riffs together and then record the entire octave, turn them into rex files and use them in reason.

The metal guitars were way ahead of their time in my opinion as well.

I'm thrilled that you guys are back in the game. I'll be supporting your software, that's for sure. I really can't wait for you to come out with the acoustic version.

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote:
  • Hi Joey, thanks! Yes I can: We developed the instrument based on our IDT engine (which is also the basis of instruments like Hydronexius
So they are saying the IDT engine is theirs? or that Hydronexius is powered by something of theirs that runs on IDT??

joeyluck

20 Dec 2015

avasopht wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
  • Hi Joey, thanks! Yes I can: We developed the instrument based on our IDT engine (which is also the basis of instruments like Hydronexius
So they are saying the IDT engine is theirs? or that Hydronexius is powered by something of theirs that runs on IDT??
The IDT engine. The Hydronexius was an example of another device using the IDT.

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2015

That's what I thought ...

That aside, my first thought is that it's great to see Propellerhead making use of partnerships instead of trying to do it all on their own. It shows cunning and a real plan. As for partnering with UJam, .. with Discover and all these apps, it seems to be heading in a particular direction that could create an interesting ecosystem.

Olivier

21 Dec 2015

I'd like to ask, is there anything that can be done about the strictness of the timing with these devices ? Its the main reason i haven't bought any of these yet after trialing the first 2. The sound i like a lot.. but the timing to my ears is just too clean. Maybe i'm using them wrong, but its also something i noticed on the demo's.. Am i expecting too much ? i can't put my finger on it.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

mguh22

21 Dec 2015

Peter,

Really simple request here, can you add a NONE option to the AMP areas of your two electric guitar RE products, Power Chords and Pop Chords?

Sometimes I'd like to process the guitar unprocessed/direct input before an amp colours the sound and your products currently do not let me get a DI guitar sound output - the sound always has to go through one of your modelled amps before it comes out.

It would give the products an extract level of versatility to be able to get the DI sound and bypass the amp modelling - that way I can process the dry signal with external device modulation and FX before putting that sound into the Softube Amps that come with Reason 8.

Hope you can easily add this to the next version of these REs! :)

Cheers

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2015

mguh22, i think in the electrics, the Clean setting already does that (at least in relation to the amp section). If you want to process with other Re's (and believe me it is worth it to fuss around with the Softube or Kuassa over that), just select the clean amp setting.

In the case of the Pop chords the top position selector is the position of the pickups. I really like the "position" feature, it's very much like having multiple guitars. In the Alist Electric Power chords, i feel a bit of compression between the different settings, so it might be more a amp head like device? In this case, i agree with you, it would be nice to have a direct output. It doesn't seem something difficult, but let's see what they say! Wouldn't mind if it was an additional setting rather than another output.

joeyluck

21 Dec 2015

eauhm wrote:I'd like to ask, is there anything that can be done about the strictness of the timing with these devices ? Its the main reason i haven't bought any of these yet after trialing the first 2. The sound i like a lot.. but the timing to my ears is just too clean. Maybe i'm using them wrong, but its also something i noticed on the demo's.. Am i expecting too much ? i can't put my finger on it.
Have you tried adjusting the swing or feel via the onboard settings?

mguh22

21 Dec 2015

mcatalao wrote:mguh22, i think in the electrics, the Clean setting already does that (at least in relation to the amp section). If you want to process with other Re's (and believe me it is worth it to fuss around with the Softube or Kuassa over that), just select the clean amp setting.

In the case of the Pop chords the top position selector is the position of the pickups. I really like the "position" feature, it's very much like having multiple guitars. In the Alist Electric Power chords, i feel a bit of compression between the different settings, so it might be more a amp head like device? In this case, i agree with you, it would be nice to have a direct output. It doesn't seem something difficult, but let's see what they say! Wouldn't mind if it was an additional setting rather than another output.
I thought this too until I did some playing around and I don't think the Clean is a DI setting, it is a Clean amp as the Drive/Crunch knob still drives the sound. It also doesn't sound unprocessed/dry enough like a real DI guitar. To me, it sounds wrong when set to Clean and then put through an external Amp device, like the sound has now been put through two amps; but maybe that's just me? I'd love to be wrong though.

Peter can you confirm either way and advise, if Clean is still an amp, whether you can get a Bypass Amp/DI output of guitar option implemented into the A-List Power Chords and A-List Pop Chords?

Many thanks!

joeyluck

21 Dec 2015

While on the topic of outputs:

In terms of doubling; the manual says this:
When on, Electric Guitarist - Pop Chords will add a second guitar player to the currently selected signal and places
them at opposite stereo positions.

So is it in fact creating two instances within one device? Could there be separate outputs for the doubling? If the user were to want to process those further separately... without the need for creating two A-List devices.

Dante

21 Dec 2015

Doubling works as it should IMHO. It he 2 instances already have seperate outputs - left and right. If you want to put left thru fuzz and right thru delay u can.

I use this mode all the time since it achieves exactly what I used to do tracking live guitar in that I would record it twice then hard pan them left and right. I would do this with rhythm guitar not with solo leads though.

The drawback at the moment with AList power chords is that the key switch that yields one hit sustains is monophonic - not in 5ths like all the other key switch rhythmic modes .

So in order to get the 5th I then use 2 instances !

joeyluck

21 Dec 2015

Dante wrote:Doubling works as it should IMHO. It he 2 instances already have seperate outputs - left and right. If you want to put left thru fuzz and right thru delay u can.

I use this mode all the time since it achieves exactly what I used to do tracking live guitar in that I would record it twice then hard pan them left and right. I would do this with rhythm guitar not with solo leads though.

The drawback at the moment with AList power chords is that the key switch that yields one hit sustains is monophonic - not in 5ths like all the other key switch rhythmic modes .

So in order to get the 5th I then use 2 instances !
Gotcha. Wasn't sure if they were both panned 100% to each side. Will play with it later when I'm at my computer. Thanks. Was just throwing out the idea as others had me thinking of it.

Dante

21 Dec 2015

Well I'm not sure whether they actually recorded each phrase twice or just delay one side a few cycles. You can always add a few more cycles delay to one side and MS widening if you want it wider - I do this often as well with a couple of RE's ( eg a kinda fake doubling) - but it works !!

mguh22

22 Dec 2015

mguh22 wrote:
mcatalao wrote:mguh22, i think in the electrics, the Clean setting already does that (at least in relation to the amp section). If you want to process with other Re's (and believe me it is worth it to fuss around with the Softube or Kuassa over that), just select the clean amp setting.

I thought this too until I did some playing around and I don't think the Clean is a DI setting, it is a Clean amp as the Drive/Crunch knob still drives the sound. It also doesn't sound unprocessed/dry enough like a real DI guitar. To me, it sounds wrong when set to Clean and then put through an external Amp device, like the sound has now been put through two amps; but maybe that's just me? I'd love to be wrong though.

Peter can you confirm either way and advise, if Clean is still an amp, whether you can get a Bypass Amp/DI output of guitar option implemented into the A-List Power Chords and A-List Pop Chords?

Many thanks!
I've had another play with this today and it definitely sounds double-amped to me if I put the 'Clean' sound through a Softube Amp afterwards. Peter are you still reading this thread and if so can you confirm either way? Cheers

joeyluck

22 Dec 2015

Dante wrote:Doubling works as it should IMHO. It he 2 instances already have seperate outputs - left and right. If you want to put left thru fuzz and right thru delay u can.
Had a chance to give a quick listen. It does appear they are panned 100% to each side. So as you say, using the Left and Right outputs separately works for this. Thanks :)

joeyluck

22 Dec 2015

I finally understand how the CV in works. Reading the manual a second time helps :)

I now get how to create my own phrases using something like a Matrix. I was missing some steps such as giving A-List MIDI focus and still playing chords with the A-List while the transport was playing and the Matrix was sending the pattern to A-List.

Every time I saw the A-List display 'Silent' immediately when receiving CV, I though something was broken... Another 'duh moment' for me today. This is really cool!

Would still love to have Standard Phrases 1 and 2 be more playable by hand, but having lots of fun with this! I don't think the custom phrasing via CV usage is outlined in any videos...?

Peter Gorges

23 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote:
avasopht wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
The IDT engine. The Hydronexius was an example of another device using the IDT.
Sorry for the delay folks, the VG IRON launch had me caught up 120%. Yes, IDT was built by us and licensed to Propellerhead. It was a smart and visionary move on their end to contract this out, as it didn't bind any resources in Propellerhead, and helped them getting it quicker as we had experience with sample engines (Hypersonic - Steinberg, Structure - Digidesign). 3rd parties can pick it up and build sample-based, scripted REs without getting slowed down by having to build an engine every time. Hydronexius is a very good example imho.

Peter Gorges

23 Dec 2015

mguh22 wrote:
mguh22 wrote:

Many thanks!
I've had another play with this today and it definitely sounds double-amped to me if I put the 'Clean' sound through a Softube Amp afterwards. Peter are you still reading this thread and if so can you confirm either way? Cheers
Sorry for the delay - I'm back to reading this. Yes, the Clean setting is still a clean amp and speaker cabinet. We're getting the Bypass request a lot so are considering it for the next update, at least as a rear-panel output.

Peter Gorges

23 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote:
Had a chance to give a quick listen. It does appear they are panned 100% to each side. So as you say, using the Left and Right outputs separately works for this. Thanks :)
In Doubling mode, actually two distinct amp setups are applied, panned hard left/right and set up slightly differently. This is also the reason why some folks report "out of balance" in Doubling mode - the amps react slightly differently on both sides.

Gaja

23 Dec 2015

Peter Gorges wrote: Sorry for the delay - I'm back to reading this. Yes, the Clean setting is still a clean amp and speaker cabinet. We're getting the Bypass request a lot so are considering it for the next update, at least as a rear-panel output.
Rear panel output would be the best way imo. Then you can use the internal amps and additionally use the dry signal for all kinds of awesome stuff. So adding extra outputs will make the device much more powerful.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information