The Mace Professional Compressor - in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
nikolafeve

10 Feb 2016

It looks way better!!! Nice
I can try it now ;)
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

xxASMxx

10 Feb 2016

Gulale wrote:This compressor is the best compressor that I have demoed in reason shop. I have forgotten about Softube how it felt since I don't even have the VST version of it but nothing can come close to this compressor. Very smooth and it doesn't add any color to a signal and so natural. Seilg and this compressor now are my two favourites will be in PH shop. It is not even expensive too.
Agreed. I had to pick this one up...to good to pass up.

tiker01

12 Feb 2016

Finally got a copy of this very device.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

theshoemaker

18 Feb 2016

For the UI I've got another suggestion just as a mockup.

Try a black/darker gray background that's slightly near the color of the display (A brushed aluminum texture might look good - but only maybe. Remove the Logo on the right side and the "Professional Compressor" on the left side.

Just try different mockups. And render theme for comparison

Here are the two rough sketches for a light and a dark theme. Try to desaturate the bright orange and yellow a bit.
Or replace them completely with other colorschemes. For example try red and white.

A good place for color scheming to test and look for is https://color.adobe.com

I used it way back as it was know as kuler ... for creating a color scheme for my text editors and IDEs. https://color.adobe.com
mace compressor light theme.png
mace compressor light theme.png (255.01 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
mace compressor dark theme.png
mace compressor dark theme.png (137.35 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
Cheers
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

EnochLight

18 Feb 2016

theshoemaker wrote:For the UI I've got another suggestion just as a mockup.

Try a black/darker gray background that's slightly near the color of the display (A brushed aluminum texture might look good - but only maybe. Remove the Logo on the right side and the "Professional Compressor" on the left side.

Just try different mockups. And render theme for comparison

Here are the two rough sketches for a light and a dark theme. Try to desaturate the bright orange and yellow a bit.
Or replace them completely with other colorschemes. For example try red and white.

A good place for color scheming to test and look for is https://color.adobe.com

I used it way back as it was know as kuler ... for creating a color scheme for my text editors and IDEs. https://color.adobe.com

Cheers
Hmmmm... no offense, but I prefer the current look over those mock ups. I'm also glad they removed the brushed metal look. The current saturation works nice IMHO:
mace_is_the_place.gif
mace_is_the_place.gif (407.81 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

theshoemaker

19 Feb 2016

The mockup is just a quick gimp refill session. The font colors need adaption. But in general I personally like to have less dynamic contrast. Have a look at the PH devices. But that's just my opinion.

Loque

19 Feb 2016

I want super psychedelic liquid moving colors dancing to the pumping of the gain reduction :puf_bigsmile:

Damn, that souns cool.. I gonna make song with this lyric...
Reason12, Win10

theshoemaker

19 Feb 2016

Nevertheless Mace is killer. Instant fell in love with it

dustmoses

06 Mar 2016

I bought this after a 5 minute demo.

Usually I'm very conservative regarding RE purchases, really trying to get a feel for things. Money's a factor but mostly I don't want Reason being bloated because I'm in the "Limitations inspire creativity" camp.

I already have too many instruments and am in solid shape with effects so I decided to look at what I'm lacking that would really help things.

I decided on EQ, compressor, and chorus.

This weekend I bought re302 from red rock basically on impulse, will have to see if it works for me. (After buying mace wishing I got a lab one EQ.)

Last night I demoed mace. Put it on a few Rex loops, mind was blown, purchased.

The only compressors I was working with prior in Reason were stock and rough rider. These work well but don't quite hit the spot as far as loving them.

Mace is great on the other hand, and like I said at $29 a no brainier.

Loque

06 Mar 2016

dustmoses wrote:I bought this after a 5 minute demo.

Usually I'm very conservative regarding RE purchases, really trying to get a feel for things. Money's a factor but mostly I don't want Reason being bloated because I'm in the "Limitations inspire creativity" camp.

I already have too many instruments and am in solid shape with effects so I decided to look at what I'm lacking that would really help things.

I decided on EQ, compressor, and chorus.

This weekend I bought re302 from red rock basically on impulse, will have to see if it works for me. (After buying mace wishing I got a lab one EQ.)

Last night I demoed mace. Put it on a few Rex loops, mind was blown, purchased.

The only compressors I was working with prior in Reason were stock and rough rider. These work well but don't quite hit the spot as far as loving them.

Mace is great on the other hand, and like I said at $29 a no brainier.
Yea, The Mace has its own taste. If you like drum loops, than you should give FET a try with "all in" - unique.
Reason12, Win10

dustmoses

06 Mar 2016

^I'll be getting a few compressors including FET with mix master bundle so I do plan on using that at some point.

Shokstar

07 Mar 2016

No other compressor will give you so much control right to your hands. The sync feat is always a time saver for ducking some sounds via sidechain.

challism

12 Jun 2016

Bumping this thread because Mace is on sale for $19. I think there is just one day left at this price. I'm trying it now and it's sounds pretty tasty so far. Never really cared for the GUI, but it's sounding good, and I have read nothing but positive reviews for it.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ompressor/
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Electric-Metal

12 Jun 2016

challism wrote:Bumping this thread because Mace is on sale for $19. I think there is just one day left at this price. I'm trying it now and it's sounds pretty tasty so far. Never really cared for the GUI, but it's sounding good, and I have read nothing but positive reviews for it.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ompressor/
Just do as I did, click "buy" :thumbs_up: :puf_bigsmile:
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

K1TTENM1TTEN

13 Jun 2016

But how does it "sound" compared to FET and other offerings on the table? If I already own McDSP Comp Bundle, FET, and DCAM Bundle, does this truly offer something "different" than what I already have? It is highly rated, and I have always heard positive things, but what do you all think?

dvdrtldg

13 Jun 2016

I like that you can tempo sync the attack & release (or just the release? can't remember) and that you can compress L and R channels separately. Apart from that, it seems pretty standard to me. And for what it's worth, the UI is hideous

fieldframe
RE Developer

13 Jun 2016

I'm still perplexed by the antipathy toward The Mace's UI. Personal taste I can understand (if you don't like orange knobs, I'm not going to convince you you should like orange knobs) but speaking as a professional UI designer (it's my day job), The Mace has an objectively good UI.

I'm not saying it's the best UI ever, but by every design criterion, it's among the better Rack Extensions in the store. It has good typography, the spacing and visual rhythm are considered, the layout is reasonably thought out, and perhaps most importantly, it actually has a multidimensional visual display where most compressors have a one-dimensional needle or LED stack (although that's really more of a UX thing than strictly UI).

Curious what those who dislike The Mace think of Red Queen. That device has – sorry, Lab One – an objectively terrible UI.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

13 Jun 2016

Not even slightly offended, we take criticism rather well, we know some people like Marmite and some don't... so it's all good for us (after we file it int he round receptacle in the corner LOL)

We do need to beat our GUI monkey from time to time though, so all comments are welcome, hell we might even host a contest to design an RE at a later date (or redesign)

It's all good... and we know you can't hear Orange or Red anyway ....

submonsterz

13 Jun 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:Not even slightly offended, we take criticism rather well, we know some people like Marmite and some don't... so it's all good for us (after we file it int he round receptacle in the corner LOL)

We do need to beat our GUI monkey from time to time though, so all comments are welcome, hell we might even host a contest to design an RE at a later date (or redesign)

It's all good... and we know you can't hear Orange or Red anyway ....
I think it looks good.
I only just a few mins ago bought this :shock:
all your devices are wicked in my honest opinion ui matters not when the device is good all yours are top notch :thumbs_up:

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

13 Jun 2016

submonsterz wrote:I think it looks good.
I only just a few mins ago bought this :shock:
all your devices are wicked in my honest opinion ui matters not when the device is good all yours are top notch :thumbs_up:
Mucho gracias bud, we like to make tools to help you make your music better :D as well as our own too ;)

:thumbs_up:

zabukowski

13 Jun 2016

Just bought it :) I kinda like its GUI - i am a big fan of comic strips and if you are looking it from this perspective, it makes perfect sense.

decibel

13 Jun 2016

i couldnt resist, i will be broke until payday on thursday but the rack must come first yeah :) cheers lab one for the generous discount

dvdrtldg

13 Jun 2016

I just want to add that I really like Mace and all my Lab One REs, they're excellent. And yes, Mace's UI is well thought out. Ultimately my (or anyone's) opinion of the aesthetics doesn't count for much

Skullture

13 Jun 2016

It only needs a couple of UI tweaks and breathing space. Some knobs could really use emphasis and structure-wise it's too confusing the first 20 min of working with it. After you get used to it it's OK. But it's definitely not the worst UI in the whole Rack Extension selection.

Other than all this, I gotta say this is an incredible compressor and much better on CPU than the Softube FET compressor. This one is going to be my number 2 after the mClass.

tiker01

13 Jun 2016

I love it. It is one of a kind in Reason. I you don`t get it now you will regret it for sure!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

• Information