KiloHearts Disperser Rack Extension Announced

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
pjeudy

07 Jan 2016

Dispenser.jpg
Dispenser.jpg (15.47 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
Coming soon to a Rack near you !

Product info:
Have you ever wanted to rotate the phases of your signal to create frequency sweeps? Funny, neither had we, but then we tried it and were blown away! Disperser smears high energy transients through space and time without modifying the gain of the sound.

The result is a different take on transient shaping or, when used at extreme settings, an effect capable of shaping the sounds in ways you didn’t know you wanted to do. Boomy kicks, snappy hihats, synthetic wet basses or just a sweet utility to shape your signal's peaks and crest factor. The choice is yours!
Vst cost $39
Last edited by pjeudy on 07 Jan 2016, edited 2 times in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Skullture

07 Jan 2016

Nice one!

EnochLight

07 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:Image
Coming soon to a Rack near you !

Product info:
Have you ever wanted to rotate the phases of your signal to create frequency sweeps? Funny, neither had we, but then we tried it and were blown away! Disperser smears high energy transients through space and time without modifying the gain of the sound.

The result is a different take on transient shaping or, when used at extreme settings, an effect capable of shaping the sounds in ways you didn’t know you wanted to do. Boomy kicks, snappy hihats, synthetic wet basses or just a sweet utility to shape your signal's peaks and crest factor. The choice is yours!
Vst cost $39
That's pretty bad ass. It'll be their first RE since One came out! Hoping they work some custom display widget fun into the RE's display...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

07 Jan 2016

Uhm, what does this thing do? From the description and frequency plot it looks like its simulating a spring/mass/damper system, like a speaker cone. Funny thing, I was exploring this in a test RE I have lying around.

The effect is that at some point frequencies get phase rotated and you get a max frequency, i.e. cutoff.. Basically its the same thing as an analog simulation of a resonant filter if you think about it.

Heres some nice JS code to play around with.

http://jsfiddle.net/bkanber/pDngH/

joeyluck

07 Jan 2016

I either have impeccable timing, or my email simply reminded them that they still hadn't made Disperser into a RE :puf_smile:

dioxide

07 Jan 2016

Link to the VST product page http://kilohearts.com/products/disperser

selig
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

normen wrote:Uhm, what does this thing do? From the description and frequency plot it looks like its simulating a spring/mass/damper system, like a speaker cone. Funny thing, I was exploring this in a test RE I have lying around.

[img]http://www.ni.com/cms/images/devzone/tut/image_1.jpg[/img]

The effect is that at some point frequencies get phase rotated and you get a max frequency, i.e. cutoff.. Basically its the same thing as an analog simulation of a resonant filter if you think about it.

Heres some nice JS code to play around with.

http://jsfiddle.net/bkanber/pDngH/
I was thinking "all pass".
Selig Audio, LLC

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:I either have impeccable timing, or my email simply reminded them that they still hadn't made Disperser into a RE :puf_smile:
Let's just say a little bit of both... ;)

EnochLight

07 Jan 2016

Originally I commented that their display on the RE looked cooler than the VST because of the faux "depth", but it was pointed out that it's virtually the same on their VST as it is on their RE. I did request that they make the RE's display a custom display that's interactive with handles that will allow you to make adjustments from the screen instead of relying on the two knobs. We'll see if they run with it or not...
Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I either have impeccable timing, or my email simply reminded them that they still hadn't made Disperser into a RE :puf_smile:
Anders! Great to see you here, man. So happy you guys are releasing another Rack Extension! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

07 Jan 2016

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
Hehe.

This is very exciting news!

joeyluck

07 Jan 2016

PS the spelling/naming is incorrect in the title of this thread.
It is called Disperser and not Dispenser :)

pjeudy

07 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:PS the spelling/naming is incorrect in the title of this thread.
It is called Disperser and not Dispenser :)
Hahahah.......lmao !! Those names man! First Devastor and now Disperser! Thanks joey!.......up next Decimort.
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

selig wrote:
normen wrote:Uhm, what does this thing do? From the description and frequency plot it looks like its simulating a spring/mass/damper system, like a speaker cone.
I was thinking "all pass".
You're not wrong. It's basically an all pass stack packaged (in my opinion) well with some tricks to make it behave nicely.

As to what it does, it can be used both as a utility and as an effect of its own. As a utility, it can tame peaks, adjust crest and in general reshape sound to behave better in the mix (and let compressors work it better). As an effect, it can bring out boomy bass, or just add a certain "wet" feel to the sound that is a bit hard to explain but easy to play around with.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
You're not wrong. It's basically an all pass stack packaged (in my opinion) well with some tricks to make it behave nicely.

As to what it does, it can be used both as a utility and as an effect of its own. As a utility, it can tame peaks, adjust crest and in general reshape sound to behave better in the mix (and let compressors work it better). As an effect, it can bring out boomy bass, or just add a certain "wet" feel to the sound that is a bit hard to explain but easy to play around with.
If so, then how do you think it differs from EQ?
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

07 Jan 2016

@ selig: This thread might be of interest to you:
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... ng#p236352

:D

D.

normen

07 Jan 2016

eusti wrote:@ selig: This thread might be of interest to you:

D.
I guess this happens because of Tapatalk? Looks like the quotes around the username get HTML-escaped for him.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

normen wrote:
eusti wrote:@ selig: This thread might be of interest to you:

D.
I guess this happens because of Tapatalk? Looks like the quotes around the username get HTML-escaped for him.
Yes exactly, and it's a known issue and should go away with the next update. Problem is, it looks fine in TapaTalk, so I had no idea what esuti was talking about at first (until I remembered the bug).

Should be fixed soon - I'll refrain from quoting from my iPad until it gets fixed!
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

07 Jan 2016

I was just teasing, selig!

Please quote away! ;)

D.

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

selig wrote:If so, then how do you think it differs from EQ?
I'd say where an EQ alters the gain of things, Disperser alters the timing of things. Usage wise, it kind of has more in common with transient shapers than classic EQs even though they technically are very similar.

As an example, here's a simple kick drum where I've used Disperser to extend the "thump" of it to yield a bit more boom. (Too much, in my opinion, to exaggerate the effect a bit.)
Dry WAV
Wet WAV

As for the actual waveform, we can see that the initial impact in the dry (top) has been distributed a bit over time in the wet (bottom), so even though is has (subjectively) more bassy boom, it's still actually ~1.5dB lower in peak than the dry sound.

I also enjoy using it adding an somewhat intangible "tension" to stuff. Quick example bassline here, more subtle this time:
Dry WAV
Wet WAV

Just some quick examples. I think probably we should make a video explaining it a bit more, because it's not necessarily super obvious. :)

normen

07 Jan 2016

Thanks for detailing. Great to see you're not just trying to sell it as magic :)

selig
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:
selig wrote:If so, then how do you think it differs from EQ?
I'd say where an EQ alters the gain of things, Disperser alters the timing of things. Usage wise, it kind of has more in common with transient shapers than classic EQs even though they technically are very similar.

As an example, here's a simple kick drum where I've used Disperser to extend the "thump" of it to yield a bit more boom. (Too much, in my opinion, to exaggerate the effect a bit.)
Dry WAV
Wet WAV

As for the actual waveform, we can see that the initial impact in the dry (top) has been distributed a bit over time in the wet (bottom), so even though is has (subjectively) more bassy boom, it's still actually ~1.5dB lower in peak than the dry sound.

I also enjoy using it adding an somewhat intangible "tension" to stuff. Quick example bassline here, more subtle this time:
Dry WAV
Wet WAV

Just some quick examples. I think probably we should make a video explaining it a bit more, because it's not necessarily super obvious. :)
Great explanation, thanks for taking the time for that - can't wait to hear it!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

Some more examples of varying subtlety can be heard here:

adfielding

07 Jan 2016

Sounds like something I'd get a ton of use out of, I'm rather looking forward to this! :)

pjeudy

07 Jan 2016

Also ..It's cool to see the people who bring us those Plugins We use everyday! *The KiloHearts crew are the 2 on the left on the right is a member of NOISIA*
Kilohearts Plugins ‏@kiloHearts 10h10 hours ago
Throwback to two hobos (AKA the Kilohearts crew) hanging out with @Noisia_nl Fun was had, ideas were had. #tbt

• Information