KiloHearts Disperser Rack Extension Announced

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:Also ..It's cool to see the people who bring us those Plugins We use everyday! *The KiloHearts crew are the 2 on the left on the right is a member of NOISIA*
Kilohearts Plugins ‏@kiloHearts 10h10 hours ago
Throwback to two hobos (AKA the Kilohearts crew) hanging out with @Noisia_nl Fun was had, ideas were had. #tbt
Haha, yours truly on the left. This was a couple of days into a festival in the middle of the night after some beers, hence our hobo... ness :)

pjeudy

07 Jan 2016

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:Haha, yours truly on the left. This was a couple of days into a festival in the middle of the night after some beers, hence our hobo... ness :)
Anders can I ask a question.... how influential are NOISIA to KiloHearts in terms of plugin development! If at all. I know that NOISIA have a unique style of producing there sounds, have you worked closely with then when developing a plugin?

For those who hasn't seen this before ..here's a glimpse on how they come up with those SICK NASTY Bass and Leads :thumbs_up:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

decibel

07 Jan 2016

as far as im aware, noisia were bigtime reason users back in their earlier days, no doubt they have moved on to other daws now though ?

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

08 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:Anders can I ask a question.... how influential are NOISIA to KiloHearts in terms of plugin development! If at all. I know that NOISIA have a unique style of producing there sounds, have you worked closely with then when developing a plugin?
Well, they are producers that we truly respect and clearly know what they are doing. We don't have any plugins that are based on direct requests from them or anything, but we've gotten some very valuable feedback from them. (There is an upcoming snapin that is partially based on a question from them and hopefully covers that requested use case, but so far no direct collaboration.)

Great guys though, and I'm impressed with how fast they understand & incorporate new stuff on a fundamental level, not just "well the colors are pretty". :)

Marco Raaphorst

08 Jan 2016

you can do these kind of things by using for example a parallel channel, phase invert it and add lo or hi pass + a delay

variantions of blended inverted and delayed signal. or am I missing something?

Bonkhead

08 Jan 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:you can do these kind of things by using for example a parallel channel, phase invert it and add lo or hi pass + a delay

I was thinking more in the line of VMG delay by sample, but instead of buttons you use a rotary to change the delay timing on a per sample base so it affects different frequencies on different settings due to different phase cancelations.

Simular to phasing with layering samples, but more precise on a frequency/timing level so you can also use it on realtime freerunning synths for instance. This control also will give you "the power" to boost or lower transients in different area's.

Am I correct ? If so, I would love to beta test this thing :mrgreen:

odarmonix

08 Jan 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:you can do these kind of things by using for example a parallel channel, phase invert it and add lo or hi pass + a delay

Sounds more like what you'd get with Uhbik P set to fully wet, without any feedback nor LFO modulation. The BV512 vocoder in EQ mode can also do this kind of thing, only without a perfectly flat frequency response.

No idea how many stages are being used in Disperser though, it may also use some special tricks I'm unaware of that make it different from Uhbik P. Either way, I've personally never obtained the same results with blends of filtering, delaying and phase inversion.

Marco Raaphorst

08 Jan 2016

aha thanks. maybe I got it wrong. will definitely try this.

I am doing lots of phase invert tricks all the time. for saturation as well. EQ-ing to the max :)

Faastwalker

08 Jan 2016

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:Some more examples of varying subtlety can be heard here:
Dattasette? The Datasette who did the awesome electro-funk remix of Kate Bush's Running Up that Hill? Love their stuff.

This RE sounds extremely interesting as well. Looking forward to this one already.

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

08 Jan 2016

Faastwalker wrote:? The Datasette who did the awesome electro-funk remix of Kate Bush's Running Up that Hill? Love their stuff.

This RE sounds extremely interesting as well. Looking forward to this one already.
Correct! He's awesome, and actually the main reason Disperser came to be. He had this idea and we played around with it and Disperser is the result.

selig
RE Developer

08 Jan 2016

Sounds more like things I've done with an all pass filter and a similar setup. I don't think a delay would be helpful here, and any other filter type would color things too much in my experience. The only all pass filter in Reason is available in the MGSoft Unifylter. You can get some very interesting results with this approach!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

08 Jan 2016

Red Queen has 10 of them, or more depending on which mode you're in.
Last edited by LABONERECORDINGS on 08 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

08 Jan 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:Red Queen has 10 of them, or mode depending on which mode you're in.
My apologies for not keeping up!!!
Selig Audio, LLC

Anders_kiloHearts
RE Developer

08 Jan 2016

odarmonix wrote:
Sounds more like what you'd get with Uhbik P set to fully wet, without any feedback nor LFO modulation.

Either way, I've personally never obtained the same results with blends of filtering, delaying and phase inversion.
Correct, set like that Uhbik P is very similar. I honestly haven't tried it myself though, but I believe it does not have quite the same control over the effect as Disperser (but on the other hand has all the phaser features since... Well... It's a phaser.)

And no, you can't get this effect by bandsplitting and delaying etc.

wendylou

30 Jan 2016

After playing around with Disperser, I was intrigued to see if I could achieve a similar effect using just an inverted parallel channel that had Normen's VMG-01 sample delay RE with some channel EQ cutoff to target various frequency zones. I used Skope to see a similar delayed spread, and I can certainly make punchier bass, etc. However, that method is not as convenient to adjust as Disperser and not quite an identical effect. Disperser reminds me of the magic I used to enjoy back in my hardware days with the BBE Sonic Maximizer, which employed phase changes to work it's magic. I used to use the BBE on the final out on everything to add punchier bass and more high frequency clarity. I do notice sort of a resonance around the cutoff filter center of Disperser, which obviously become more prominent when you crank up the pinch. Nature of the beast no doubt. Nice RE.

Edit: Er, maybe it's not resonance but just an apparent phasing sound, something I can similarly make happen with my parallel channel and delay experiment.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

gak

30 Jan 2016

And that kinda sums up "why" people make plugs and RE's of this nature. It's not necessarily that you can't get that sound elsewhere, it's that you can get that sound INSTANTLY with this. (of course, for a fee ;) )

• Information