3plex - Is it worth it?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
AJTIV

17 Jan 2016

So I demo'ed the 3Plex a ways back and thought it was a very neat device, but I did not feel compelled to buy it. More recently, I've checked out some forum posts and Youtube videos pertaining to the features on the device, and I'm reconsidering buying it at full price - for the kind of music I like to make there is no such thing as too much delay and modulation.

I'd like to hear from people who have tested this device out, or who own it and use it.

What does this device do that I can't do with the steer pike, echo delay, and alligator units?

Compell me to buy this thing - I can't trial it again so I need serious input from other users of the 3plex.

Much thanks!
:reason: :re: :PUF_figure:

dvdrtldg

17 Jan 2016

You could probably rig up a 3Plex-type effect of your own in a combinator - it's basically three LFO and filter-modulated delay lines, with no particularly unique tonal qualities that I can hear. But it has a few nice features (parallel/combo/serial delay, pre or post filter), the device is very handy overall and the CV options around the back are well thought out. Only thing about it I don't like is the cramped interface, and it's a little CPU-hungry. Are you compelled yet? It's not one of my Top 5 REs but I use it a fair bit, bought it at full price when it came out and have no regrets.

AJTIV

17 Jan 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:It's not one of my Top 5 REs but I use it a fair bit, bought it at full price when it came out and have no regrets.
What are your top 5 RE's?

MannequinRaces

17 Jan 2016

I tired 3plex as well and ultimately ended up buying Relaspse Multi-band Delay. Not sure if you own that one or not but if you don't, check it out!

AJTIV

17 Jan 2016

What is better/worse about Relapse?

Loque

17 Jan 2016

It is not a RE i would make my pants wet when i use it. It is what its name says, a modulated delay with filers. Sometimes i could not get exactly what i wanted in timing and lfo paths. Also the filters cannot be used on its own or have separated outputs or breakouts.

I bought it not on full price and i use it rarly. I also can remember it has some latency, but not sure about that. You have to decide if you need 3 delays with enveloped filters and lfos.
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

17 Jan 2016

AJTIV wrote:What is better/worse about Relapse?
Relapse works independently on three frequency bands, not the entire audio spectrum that is fed into 3plex. If you are into sound design, creating crazy sounds, and like tons of CV options, I really think Relapse is the better choice. 3plex can do some cool stuff, but not as cool as Relapse. Just my opinion of course. :)

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... and-delay/

dvdrtldg

18 Jan 2016

AJTIV wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:It's not one of my Top 5 REs but I use it a fair bit, bought it at full price when it came out and have no regrets.
That's a tough one, I've got an embarrassingly large number of them. My stuff is very droney and psychedelic so there are FX all over the place. Plus I go through phases with them, and my top 5 today would probably be different to my top 5 a couple of years ago. If we just stick with cool FX (and excluding bread & butter stuff like compressors and mastering EQ), then Decimort has gone straight to number 1 with a bullet. The other four would be something like Etch Red, Chenille, Synapse GQ-7 and Steerpike

Top 5 instruments: Zero, Re-Tron, Ammo 1200, FM4 and Antidote

Top 5 utilities: Shape, CV Mutant (even though I'm still figuring out how to use it), CV Suite Line Processor, Randrome and Euclid

dvdrtldg

18 Jan 2016

Oh and I agree with whoever recommended Relapse. If you're looking for a "fuck shit up" type device then it's hard to beat

MDTerps2015

18 Jan 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
AJTIV wrote:
That's a tough one, I've got an embarrassingly large number of them. My stuff is very droney and psychedelic so there are FX all over the place. Plus I go through phases with them, and my top 5 today would probably be different to my top 5 a couple of years ago. If we just stick with cool FX (and excluding bread & butter stuff like compressors and mastering EQ), then Decimort has gone straight to number 1 with a bullet. The other four would be something like Etch Red, Chenille, Synapse GQ-7 and Steerpike

Top 5 instruments: Zero, Re-Tron, Ammo 1200, FM4 and Antidote

Top 5 utilities: Shape, CV Mutant (even though I'm still figuring out how to use it), CV Suite Line Processor, Randrome and Euclid
Whats funny i have cv mutant and gave up on it. I have tried and tried to figure that thing out to no avail. The developer didnt offer any instructional videos worth watching. LOL goodluck with and when you figure it out, come back and hook me up with a tut. LMAO.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2016

Simply put, CV Mutant is a transfer function, which means that you can input one shape (like a straight 0-127 ramp) and have it output something wildly different (like an ADSR or scarier wobbly). It will do a few ore things but that alone makes it useful for some really curly applications. I Beta'd and made patches but what the Dev had used it for (controlling Mix) I would never have imagined.

As for 3 Plex, I passed but am very much enjoying Air Raid's Essentials. Jiggery Pokery's Titus is also a very usable Delay.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

AJTIV

18 Jan 2016

Thanks for replies everyone.

I have listened to your recommendations, and I will be starting my trial of Relapse today. I absolutely love the new Air Raid Elements bundle, that was an instant buy for me - they are essential tools for any kind of electronic music in my opinion. The phaser is fantastic.

So I'm going to listen to your input and my gut instinct and pass on 3Plex. I Will report back here with my findings with Relapse.

Best,
Austin

ebop

18 Jan 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:Oh and I agree with whoever recommended Relapse. If you're looking for a "fuck shit up" type device then it's hard to beat
I agree with that, Relapse is freaky! I've only tried the patches and some are damned scary.

AJTIV

18 Jan 2016

Ok. Relapse is clearly more my cup of tea than 3Plex. It has a pretty big range of effects it can produce from subtle to insane. Air Raid Audio makes some fantastic stuff.

Thanks for the input. Going to plan on buying Relapse when my trial ends.

• Information