When it comes to Reverb ... what do you use?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ahornberg

30 Jan 2016

When it comes to Reverb ... what do you use beneath the RV7000?

don't say the RV-7 :puf_bigsmile:

Loque

30 Jan 2016

RV7000MKII defenetly one of my most used reverbs. But i also realy like AD480. TSAR is pretty good and very clean, but very expensive. Fatspace and DR1 is ok. The Rob Pappen Reverb is quite nice and actually i am starting to like Springreverb in some special cases - brings power to the sound and its awsome for accustic guitars.

All other reverbs including buildin reverbs or echo-based reverbs i use rarely. RV7000MKII has lot of buildin things like EQ, gate and impulse response - tbh most other reverbs lack those features and have to be added manually with other REs.
Reason12, Win10

Chizmata

30 Jan 2016

kongs reverb :D (i really do though, if i just need to pimp up a drum slightly)

normen

30 Jan 2016

RV7000 and RV7 are actually my most used reverbs. RV7 is great to get some ambience or "move sources away from the mic"

Loque

30 Jan 2016

Still waiting for some reverbs as RE that brings sound positioning and good multireflection with room editors. As VST they are available, in Reason i have to build my own with sevetal reverbs, delays, filters, EQs and so on. But that becomes very CPU hungry and the sound becomes muddy.

The first dev that brings a good, clean reverb with impulse response, room creation, 3D sound positioning, EQ, reversing, gate, no mudd, presense with duplication, breakouts in the effects bus, CVs for most stuff, low CPU and something completly new would be instant buy up to 150€...
Reason12, Win10

Shokstar

30 Jan 2016

I'm using the most time the Renoun reverb by Unfiltered Audio. I like this little RE and it has a cheap price. And sometimes I use the Fatspace on a Bus Channel.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

30 Jan 2016

normen wrote:RV7000 and RV7 are actually my most used reverbs. RV7 is great to get some ambience or "move sources away from the mic"
I occasionally wheeled out the "Low Density" setting of RV7. I'm not aware of anything else quite like it in Reason. It's rather trippy and kewwwl. Been a while since I used it, might have to dig it out again.

RV7000 has always been amazingly good for the CPU it uses, and is still probably better than many more, shall we say, vigorous reverb algos; I'm still not convinced convolution is the holy grail some users think it is, but it's really nice it got updated to include to have it and I've been making good use of things that I find ;)

I have TSAR-1R on my sends just for an alternative texture, but I'm not a big fan; should have got the full version or perhaps Papen's. Uhbik-A I also picked up on a whim when it came out. Needn't have bothered; it's bargain bucket awful, and it turned out it didn't work anyway.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2016

For subtle reverb that's not really intended to be heard but felt: Uhbik A
I tend to prefer Uhbik instead of RV7000 for this because I find RV7000 to be kind of washy sounding and turns my mix to mud fast.

For huge reverbs on synths: Antidotes reverb (which I guess is the same as DR-1 Deep Reverb)
But I actually prefer Antidotes effect chain, because I can use the delay, reverb and the compressor together. It turns it into something much bigger than just the reverb alone.

To make a sound really thick: Fat Space. But it can turn your mix muddy really fast if you have a lot going on at the same time, so be careful.

marcuswitt

30 Jan 2016

Ahornberg wrote:When it comes to Reverb ... what do you use beneath the RV7000?

It's funny that you've mentioned the RV-7. Well, I got to say that I really love this "old lady" to be used on vocals and on Brass sections. If you daisy-chain the RV-7 with some other FX units, let's say the Unison-16 and/or a simple Delay and an EQ (just to cut some unwanted resonances out), then this little beast can sound really "expensive", to my surprise. Despite using other Reverbs as well (RV7000, TSAR-1, RP Verb, ReStereo, some synthesizer's internal Reverbs), I tend to go for the RV-7 on vocals. From my point of view, the "secret" of the RV-7 is to find the right ratio of Size, Decay and Damping.
Last edited by marcuswitt on 30 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

ProfessaKaos

30 Jan 2016

I always seem to be using Softube's TSAR-1-Reverb, although it is a little DSP hungry I just really like the sound of it.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Arrant
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2016

DR-1 is my main verb for big synth washes and vocals.
Uhbik-A good for drums.
Tsar-1 for realistic instruments (yeah like I have any of those ;)
RPVerb for a touch of some experimental/unexpected stuff.

Loque

30 Jan 2016

Arrant wrote:DR-1 is my main verb for big synth washes and vocals.
Uhbik-A good for drums.
Tsar-1 for realistic instruments (yeah like I have any of those ;)
RPVerb for a touch of some experimental/unexpected stuff.
Thats a good point with the real instruments. You should always have at least a small arsenal of reverbs for the right things. Try them and if it fits, it fits.
Reason12, Win10

Vince-Noir-99

30 Jan 2016

Why not RV-7? :)
I use it all the time :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Ahornberg

30 Jan 2016

marcuswitt wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:When it comes to Reverb ... what do you use beneath the RV7000?

It's funny that you've mentioned the RV-7. Well, I got to say that I really love this "old lady" to be used on vocals and on Brass sections. If you daisy-chain the RV-7 with some other FX units, let's say the Unison-16 and/or a simple Delay and an EQ (just to cut some unwanted resonances out), then this little beast can sound really "expensive", to my surprise. Despite using other Reverbs as well (RV7000, TSAR-1, RP Verb, ReStereo, some synthesizer's internal Reverbs), I tend to go for the RV-7 on vocals. From my point of view, the "secret" of the RV-7 is to find the right ratio of Size, Decay and Damping.
Wow! I didn't expect that much response on my question ... and I didn't even expect that there is such a variety on reverbs! I counted 11 RackExtensions that were mentioned here.

On RV-7, personally I find it hard to get good results out of it. I think I should give it a 2nd try ...

adfielding

30 Jan 2016

For the past 3-4 years... a combination of Uhbik-A, Synapse DR-1, and the ol' faithful RV7k.

I'm still a huge fan of the RV7k, but the DR-1 is amazing for huge ethereal spaces, and the Uhbik-A is great for pretty much everything else :)

Now that the RV7k has a convolution algorithm... it's getting more use, but I still love the Uhbik-A and DR-1. The DR-1 is definitely my go-to for huge, lush sounding reverb these days.

edit: and the RV-7. Don't under-estimate that little guy, especially in a Combinator ;)

Electric-Metal

30 Jan 2016

It depends on the purpose. If i just want to create a subtle room, RV 7 always fits for me.
I also like DR1 for it Sounds really...well, Deep :puf_bigsmile: But after i've recently upgradet to R8, the RV7000 MkII is my Verb to go, 'cause to me, it offers seemingly endless possibilities.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

EnochLight

30 Jan 2016

My goto is still RV7000 (MKII) - I'll always try it first. My backups are Synapse DR-1 (love for guitar and synth pads), RP Verb (love for vocals and experimentation), Softube TSAR-1 (love for quiet passages, especially on an isolated acoustic guitar or piano), and U-He Uhbik (despite its beefy DSP use).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

30 Jan 2016

11 reverbs? Never counted them. But dont forget some synts have a audio-in that allows the signal to be processed through internal devices (whish all developers would provide that), like Thor, Antidote and Revival...

And dont forget that you can create a reverb with echo effekts. Some RE like LeSpace have presets for this. And thanks to Reason you can combine and create billions of new variations.
Reason12, Win10

txh003

30 Jan 2016

Primarily, I only use the Rob Papen RP-Verb, Softube TSAR-1 and Softube Spring Reverb in Reason.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

EthicistBeats

30 Jan 2016

I use uhbik a and rv7000. But have been using rv700 a bit more since its update.

The only thing I'd add is that I "abbey road" my verbs. So I band pass the input at 600hz and 10khz before it hits the verb.... Sometimes might add a subtle slap delay as well for more depth.

And, I will have to try the rv7 like you guys have recommended , I've definitely slept on that

Jmax

30 Jan 2016

Again the RV7000.. it pretty much covers everything.

Also have Synapese verbs which are real nice. I'd like to get Papen's reverb but I don't need it.

gak

30 Jan 2016

The built in is great, especially now that it has convolution it's off the chart.

But, I have two others. RPverb and the one from Synapse (DR-1). Both are great (got them on sale) and not sure I can tell you why I like them "more/less" than anything else. BTW, if you have antidote, you have the DR-1 from what I understand.

ionly

02 Feb 2016

I'm using the very useful RV7000 more and more - its low DSP hit is a big plus - and my forthcoming album is going to be awash with it (when i can be arsed finishing it). I'd like to make more use of the Tsar 1, but it just strangles my laptop. The lush DR-1 is next in my arsenal, although somewhat neglected these days. Good luck with your explorations :)

AJTIV

02 Feb 2016

I use different reverbs for different approaches.

TSAR
RV7000
Uhbik-A
Fat Space
DR-1
:reason: :re: :PUF_figure:

Loque

02 Feb 2016

Anyone used RV-7 in the last year?
Reason12, Win10

• Information