Hand Clap Bundle is in the shop, new REs from Robotic Bean!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

04 Mar 2016

Today we released two new Rack Extensions:

AC-1 Acoustic Clapper:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... c-clapper/

EC-1 Electro Clapper:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... o-clapper/

Hand Clap Bundle includes both of them:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... ap-bundle/

Don't miss the chance to win both clappers + Euclid Rhythm Generator in the Hand Clap Challenge:
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7493741

AC-1 Acoustic Clapper

EC-1 Electro Clapper
Last edited by buddard on 04 Mar 2016, edited 3 times in total.

Leighbeater

04 Mar 2016

cool!!

Noplan
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2016

dana

04 Mar 2016

I really want to put these in my rack as a default but i don't try, i just buy now - so i need to check my bank account first :)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

04 Mar 2016

Beautiful designs again, bud.

One question on the Acoustic: are the samples round-robin as well as velocity-based, otherwise they'll sound rather static. RDK claps, for example, has loads of alts, so plenty of variety, although, annoyingly, only one velocity, so they're all the same tone.

buddard
RE Developer

04 Mar 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:Beautiful designs again, bud.

One question on the Acoustic: are the samples round-robin as well as velocity-based, otherwise they'll sound rather static. RDK claps, for example, has loads of alts, so plenty of variety, although, annoyingly, only one velocity, so they're all the same tone.
Yes, there are plenty of round robins!

We made 120 samples in total (each recorded with two sets of mics for separate control over the room level), distributed over 5 velocity layers. So there are 24 unique samples for each velocity layer.

We implemented a dynamic allocation algorithm, so if you have Clappers set to 1 it will use all 24 round robins, 2 clappers will use 12 round robins each, and so on. So the "worst case" is 3 round-robins per clapper and velocity layer, but then you have 8 clappers playing at the same time so you won't notice any repeats. The round robin selection is random, but assures that the same sample isn't played back twice in a row.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

04 Mar 2016

buddard wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:Beautiful designs again, bud.

Yes, there are plenty of round robins!

We made 120 samples in total (each recorded with two sets of mics for separate control over the room level), distributed over 5 velocity layers. So there are 24 unique samples for each velocity layer.

We implemented a dynamic allocation algorithm, so if you have Clappers set to 1 it will use all 24 round robins, 2 clappers will use 12 round robins each, and so on. So the "worst case" is 3 round-robins per clapper and velocity layer, but then you have 8 clappers playing at the same time so you won't notice any repeats. The round robin selection is random, but assures that the same sample isn't played back twice in a row.
Cool, good to know! (IIWY, I'd an RR reference to the shop page, cos RR's are important info to percussion sample users ;) )

joeyluck

04 Mar 2016

I really like the idea of this! I would just like to see a bit more control/features though. For instance:

- More control over which claps are played. I understand there are 120 samples round robin, but it would be great if there could be control over which claps are played. Whether that means selecting a range and/or a variance setting. Or maybe a setting so that when playing MIDI, samples are either velocity sensitive, or individual samples per key.
- More gate outputs. Perhaps an output per clapper? So that when triggering other sounds/external claps it will be better represented by the number of clappers/spread/sloppy...
- A user editable pattern via a simple, small 16 button sequencer with resolution knob. Or maybe more patterns available via a drop down? This one not as important as maybe at that point it's time to turn off synchro start hit the sequencer or Matrix.

Just some ideas. Great work on the GUI and concept! Would just like to see a little bit more to make this a more versatile solution. As it stands now, if something doesn't quite work, I'm back to square one of creating or using my own in a sampler, instead of being able to tweak these more. Definitely on my wish list regardless :puf_smile:

Wook

04 Mar 2016

Ha! Very cool device.

JNeffLind

04 Mar 2016

joeyluck wrote:I really like the idea of this! I would just like to see a bit more control/features though. For instance:

- A user editable pattern via a simple, small 16 button sequencer with resolution knob. Or maybe more patterns available via a drop down? This one not as important as maybe at that point it's time to turn off synchro start hit the sequencer or Matrix.
I'm inclined to agree with this. I love that it's built for convenience and ease and 9 times out of 10 I'd probably use it that way (with a built in pattern), but on that tenth time It'd be nice to be able to have more control. One of the videos said something about midi control though so maybe there's an option to turn off any of the built in patterns and just draw midi data into the sequencer. Not quite the same as a redrum style pattern sequencer, but would solve the problem of control.

joeyluck

04 Mar 2016

JNeffLind wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I really like the idea of this! I would just like to see a bit more control/features though. For instance:

I'm inclined to agree with this. I love that it's built for convenience and ease and 9 times out of 10 I'd probably use it that way (with a built in pattern), but on that tenth time It'd be nice to be able to have more control. One of the videos said something about midi control though so maybe there's an option to turn off any of the built in patterns and just draw midi data into the sequencer. Not quite the same as a redrum style pattern sequencer, but would solve the problem of control.
Yes, works as expected when controlled via MIDI. One thing I'd like to see is an option to spread individual samples across the keyboard.

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Mar 2016

Didn't think I needed a hand clap RE, but this is pretty darn cool! Well executed!

buddard
RE Developer

04 Mar 2016

JNeffLind wrote:

Yeah, sorry if we've been a bit unclear about Auto Rhythm in our marketing!

The Synchro Start button enables and disables Auto Rhythm completely. We do have Synchro Start enabled by default, but it's just for convenience, really. It's so you can start tweaking the sound right away without worrying about setting up a rhythm -- And if you've already set up the clapper to be played another way, we figure it's not much extra work to turn off Synchro Start.

You can always trigger the clappers from their sequencer track or using the Gate input (connected to a Kong, Redrum, Matrix, Euclid, Propulsion, ...), regardless of whether Auto Rhythm is running or not.

Auto Rhythm was mainly meant as a song writing or tracking tool (like an alternative metronome while you lay down an acoustic guitar), or something that you use temporarily while tweaking the sound. But with the additional patterns and automation support you can still accomplish quite a lot with it.

buddard
RE Developer

04 Mar 2016

- More control over which claps are played. I understand there are 120 samples round robin, but it would be great if there could be control over which claps are played. Whether that means selecting a range and/or a variance setting. Or maybe a setting so that when playing MIDI, samples are either velocity sensitive, or individual samples per key.
- More gate outputs. Perhaps an output per clapper? So that when triggering other sounds/external claps it will be better represented by the number of clappers/spread/sloppy...

Just some ideas. Great work on the GUI and concept! Would just like to see a little bit more to make this a more versatile solution. As it stands now, if something doesn't quite work, I'm back to square one of creating or using my own in a sampler, instead of being able to tweak these more. Definitely on my wish list regardless :puf_smile:
Those are all interesting feature suggestions, and we've even explored some of them, for instance making the sequencer more advanced. In that particular case we decided that simpler is better since there are so many great sequencing options available in other devices, like Euclid, Propulsion, Redrum, etc, that will always be superior anyway. Because once you start adding programmable steps people will start requesting shuffle, slide, ratchet, velocities, ... For a while we even considered making it even simpler with just a single pattern (beats 2 and 4), but in the end we settled for four patterns (slightly different between the devices) with fill-in variations.

There isn't that much room for more gate outputs, and we'd like to keep the device slim. Where would you like to connect the 8 different gates, to different Kong/Redrum channels? Maybe we should make a separate Slop RE with different settings for the random distribution function. :)

For the separate sample selection, one possibility would be to reserve a key range somewhere way off center, say from C6 - B7 (that should be 24 keys, right?), and trigger the 24 round robins separately there? That would give you precise control over all 120 samples by using pitch and velocity. When playing this range we would probably have to ignore the Clappers, Slop and Spread settings (or at least we would need to think carefully about how they should be handled), but we would of course use the Room setting to determine the balance between the mics. This feels like a bit of an edge case, though -- I'm not sure how many would actually find a use for it? But definitely an interesting idea! :)

buddard
RE Developer

04 Mar 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:(IIWY, I'd an RR reference to the shop page, cos RR's are important info to percussion sample users ;) )
Great tip, thanks! :)

craven

04 Mar 2016

Congrats on the release! Looking great as always!
:ugeek:

geronimo

04 Mar 2016

Sorry but I'm surprised : no Pitch control ?

joeyluck

04 Mar 2016

buddard wrote:

Those are all interesting feature suggestions, and we've even explored some of them, for instance making the sequencer more advanced. In that particular case we decided that simpler is better since there are so many great sequencing options available in other devices, like Euclid, Propulsion, Redrum, etc, that will always be superior anyway. Because once you start adding programmable steps people will start requesting shuffle, slide, ratchet, velocities, ... For a while we even considered making it even simpler with just a single pattern (beats 2 and 4), but in the end we settled for four patterns (slightly different between the devices) with fill-in variations.

There isn't that much room for more gate outputs, and we'd like to keep the device slim. Where would you like to connect the 8 different gates, to different Kong/Redrum channels? Maybe we should make a separate Slop RE with different settings for the random distribution function. :)

For the separate sample selection, one possibility would be to reserve a key range somewhere way off center, say from C6 - B7 (that should be 24 keys, right?), and trigger the 24 round robins separately there? That would give you precise control over all 120 samples by using pitch and velocity. When playing this range we would probably have to ignore the Clappers, Slop and Spread settings (or at least we would need to think carefully about how they should be handled), but we would of course use the Room setting to determine the balance between the mics. This feels like a bit of an edge case, though -- I'm not sure how many would actually find a use for it? But definitely an interesting idea! :)
Excellent points. The first one I came to that conclusion as I was typing it that it would probably be best to just stick with another sequencer. I guess my idea would also involve saving...or simply hiding more rhythms in there via banks or a drop down. Just going off the idea that the clap RE is the only thing you need to grab to quickly select a rhythm. But glad you included the ones you did :) A resolution knob might be helpful just alongside the rhythms that are there to offer more variation.

And yes, you are spot on with the second point. I think it would be very beneficial to be able to send the slop settings to other samplers to enhance/accent the claps. A separate slop RE would certainly be cool, but I see it mostly being used with the AC-1 and a separate RE would sort of takeaway from that convenience aspect. I think it could fit with two rows of CV connections (inputs top row, outputs bottom row) ;)

I like the last suggestion if it's not a pain to implement! Interested to see if anybody else would find a use for it and be willing to surrender a couple octaves. I don't think that would be a problem for most folks. Thanks for entertaining the ideas and congrats on some very cool and useful REs :)

QVprod

04 Mar 2016

Fantastic devices. Extremely simple concept, but vey useful.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2016

I'm trying out the AC-1 right now. Pretty cool stuff.
A suggestion would be to add a "ahead" knob also. Sometimes you want the claps to be slightly ahead of the beat.
I mean it could be done manually, but that would take away the quick workflow this device seems to be all about.

buddard
RE Developer

05 Mar 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:I'm trying out the AC-1 right now. Pretty cool stuff.
A suggestion would be to add a "ahead" knob also. Sometimes you want the claps to be slightly ahead of the beat.
I mean it could be done manually, but that would take away the quick workflow this device seems to be all about.
You mean something like the "Feel" knob on the A-List REs, that simply "slides" Auto Rhythm backwards/forwards in time?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2016

buddard wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:I'm trying out the AC-1 right now. Pretty cool stuff.
You mean something like the "Feel" knob on the A-List REs, that simply "slides" Auto Rhythm backwards/forwards in time?
I haven't tried any A-List REs but based on your description, yes a "slide" knob would be great for these clapper devices. Actually being able to put the claps ahead and after the beat would be even better than just my "ahead" knob idea.
I understand you want to keep this device quick and simple and a slide knob would make the workflow even quicker. I get that you don't want a cluttered or oversized RE but claps (or any percussion really) are all about timing.

Thanks for considering all the feedback in this thread.

scifunk

05 Mar 2016

At those prices I'll happily load a sample in to a Kong or ReDrum

motuscott

05 Mar 2016

an alternative metronome
yes
mind blown
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

satyr32

05 Mar 2016

Yes it needs the "slide" function.