Instruments that Work Well as Effects

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dustmoses

07 Mar 2016

One of the cool things about Reason is that some of the stock instruments do cool things with Audio (everything but ID8 if you include count CV tricks.)

I certainly consider having strengths on multiple fronts desirable.

The best RE I own in this regard is antidote. Bunch of cool effects to run things through.

Any other REs you guys like as both instrument and effect?

Exowildebeest

07 Mar 2016

Revival.

Wook

07 Mar 2016

Revival has bad ass effects.

WongoTheSane

07 Mar 2016

Revival.

Also, Quad has Chorus, Ensemble, Flanger, Delay, Phaser and Widener; Predator has a wealth of filters, including uncommon ones (Voice, Formant 2, Formant 4) and a huge bunch of effects: Mono/Stereo delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Wah/Autowah, Distort, LoFi, Amp/Cab Sim, WaveShaper, Widener, Autopan, Gator, Vocoder, FX (?), Ensemble, Multidistort, Analog phaser, Clipper, etc.

Did anyone mention Revival yet?

joeyluck

07 Mar 2016

Another for Revival.

Revival needs a Revival :lol: Go try it if you haven't!

The effects are awesome. Would be more inviting to grab if REs could fold sections (take up less room if being used for just effects) or if the GUI was a little easier to view. It's not the easiest on the eyes.

Maybe Sononics could update the GUI or release a separate effects rack unit based on Revival's effects?
Any and all of the above I'm sure would be good for sales. An update to the GUI may sway many potential customers, and at least will give it a bump in the shop.

Where is Nirude? Next time you're feeling like creating a 3D render / revamping a GUI...please do this one :puf_smile:

dvdrtldg

07 Mar 2016

Has anyone mentioned Revival yet? It's still my #1 choice for distortion, up there with Decimort

Also, I have Jiggery Pokery's Harmonic Synthesizer currently on trial and while it's not really my cup of tea, I love the FX section and would consider buying it (on sale) for that alone

I rarely use Antidote as an FX unit but I love its filter and wish it were possible to route audio through that. I use Ivoks' filter quite a bit, it's a beauty

Loque

07 Mar 2016

RGRE had an input but did not tried yet, like several other RP instruments. VK-1 audio in seems more a mix in.
Reason12, Win10

Arrant
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2016

Antidote! Also the Rob Papen synths have comprehensive effect sections.

eXode

08 Mar 2016

Loque wrote:RGRE had an input but did not tried yet, like several other RP instruments. VK-1 audio in seems more a mix in.
Not sure what you mean by mix in? Yes the signal is added in the mixer, but you can turn off all the oscillators/noise and you can open the VCA so that it always passes audio to make Viking behave like a stand alone filter. You do this by setting the GATE to ON in the VK-1 Programmer.
Last edited by eXode on 08 Mar 2016, edited 1 time in total.

jfrichards

08 Mar 2016

joeyluck wrote:...Maybe Sononics could update the GUI or release a separate effects rack unit based on Revival's effects?...
+100 From a discussion when Revival came out:
As I said back then, there's something deeply Rock and Roll about stomping on the Czar's gold-plated cigarette cases. I love using the Formant effect with my footpedal.

challism

08 Mar 2016

Revival is my favorite instrument to use as a fx pedal. Revival doesn't get as much love as it deserves. It's not only a really great synth, but it's also a really great fx unit.

Rob Papen synths are also some very high quality products with great fx, and they all have audio inputs, too. Vecto, Quad, Predator and the new RGRE, which I recently acquired and am loving!

My issue with a lot of other synths that have audio inputs is that you have to trigger the damn thing for it to make any noise. Not the case with Revival, though.

I love running audio into Parsec to see what kind of twisted sounds I can get out of it, but again, you have to trigger it to get sounds to come out.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

geronimo

08 Mar 2016

Kong Reverb also _

Majestik Monkey

08 Mar 2016

Hmmmm !

Lets not forget the Little Green_Monster's Filter section & Shape / Malstrom :puf_bigsmile: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

anko

08 Mar 2016

Kong.

Also Revival but it's been said a lot already.

raymondh

08 Mar 2016

Excellent thread!

Time to dust off my unused copy of Revival!!

electrochoc (PRX-A)

09 Mar 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:I use Ivoks' filter quite a bit, it's a beauty
I often use Ivoks just for its filter within modular settings... Very nice filter indeed!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

• Information