A-List Studio Drummer in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Skullture

24 Mar 2016

Intro, verse, breakdown, chorus - that’s how we as musicians tend to think about our music, and that’s how you can create dynamic, human-feel drum tracks with A-List Studio Drummer. Select your desired style and play your MIDI keyboard’s white keys for progressions through verses and chorus patterns, playing skill optional! Use the black keys to trigger intros, fills and stops. Add filler hits with the individual samples also mapped to the keyboard.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... o-drummer/

sonicbyte

24 Mar 2016

looks cool

decibel

24 Mar 2016

$99 for some drums eh, better be exceptional drums ;)

maybe they can include this in R9 upgrade
Last edited by decibel on 24 Mar 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Blast

24 Mar 2016

Why do you have to pay for these features in Reason when they comes free in Logic Pro X? :(

evolve187

24 Mar 2016

Looks cool but I wish it also had CV out for each drum so you could use any drum kit in Kong or Redrum. I wonder how long until they come out with an electronic drummer.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

Alkua

24 Mar 2016

Blast wrote:Why do you have to pay for these features in Reason when they comes free in Logic Pro X? :(
The device look very cool, you are right. That is the same thing that I was going to say. This RE should be included in the next upgrade.

noelcampbelljnr

24 Mar 2016

again I'm in the camp of all new Props REs should be included in upgrades. they are squeezing the users for too long now. €99 seems excessive for loops....but a good RE idea.

noelcampbelljnr

24 Mar 2016

individual CV out for each piece of kit seems like a bit of an oversight also....would have been a cool feature

Blast

24 Mar 2016

The device look very cool, you are right. That is the same thing that I was going to say. This RE should be included in the next upgrade.[/quote]

I like to work in Reason but I find myself paying for a lot of features in :re: That comes bundle into a lot of other DAW which also cost the same like Reason or even less. if Reason 9 Does not impress, I will be moving to Studio One.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2016

noelcampbelljnr wrote:again I'm in the camp of all new Props REs should be included in upgrades. they are squeezing the users for too long now. €99 seems excessive for loops....but a good RE idea.
Strings, RDK, Soul School and Reason Pianos were all paid for refills and these are significantly more extensive, so while I would love to get these for free I am under no illusion that this has never been there case.

I think Reason would be 100x more attractive to newcomers if all PH devices and refills came with. It would also change the dynamic of the store as everything would be competing with a powerful suite that everyone already has, which could be either a good thing it a bad thing.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2016

Might be worth checking out if the drum kits/samples are really good. I'm not really interested in the drum loops aspect.
Seems like a really easy way to tweak drum sounds though with the knobs for "overhead", "room", "slam" and so on.
But I'm sure this will go on sale sometime, most REs do, especially Propellerheads own stuff. I'll wait for that before trying it out.

noelcampbelljnr

24 Mar 2016

Reason 9 will be a huge make or break moment for me too. if Props continue on a similar path as Reason 8 release there would actually be no reason not to jump ship either on software or price grounds. Lets hope they come up with something special

Lov2sing

24 Mar 2016

I like the idea but it seems all the Reason refills are being replaced although not said by A-list RE's. I like the concept but 9 should have all the Alist RE's in it and updates to some of the older products already in reason. Could this be their aim to one by one replace the older like they did with their Reverb in Reason 8?
We make music for a reason

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2016

noelcampbelljnr wrote:Reason 9 will be a huge make or break moment for me too. if Props continue on a similar path as Reason 8 release there would actually be no reason not to jump ship either on software or price grounds. Lets hope they come up with something special
You know, I think a lot of the migrations away from Reason come with a bit of irony in them. I think that RE's and even merging with Record changed people's expectations for Reason a great deal.

This is something that I doubt PH anticipated because in all fairness Reason is a shit load more capable than anyone could have possibly imagined prior to Reason 6.0 really. So from their perspective the users have a much better deal than they ever have but the addition of RE's also makes it much more easier to compare Reason to offerings you couldn't compare it with in the past, mainly because you accepted it was way beyond the scope but now it is almost within reach but not quite there yet.

I guess, I'm saying this with no expectations, if anything only hope for a major SDK upgrade and PDC. That's all I want / need, either one would be fine. Upgrades to old devices would be a bonus given Thor is now more than old enough to walk itself to school ;)

Is it sad / bad that I've no expectations? Given new devices have always provided the greatest amount of value for upgrades, but now all devices are Rack Extensions, I think it's fair to say that their new model has completely changed the dynamic. And there's nothing wrong with that per se, ... but yes, I get your desire to leave.

joeyluck

24 Mar 2016

I don't want my upgrades to be about Rack Extensions. I can buy this if I want it or not buy it if it's not for me. I like that freedom to choose.

And Reason out of the box offers plenty in terms of drums; from samples and kits to REX files to the Kong Drum designer.

stevan

24 Mar 2016

Not bad,but much too expensive for all these limitations ... with RDK2 I'm way more flexible ...

Gaja

24 Mar 2016

Blast wrote:Why do you have to pay for these features in Reason when they comes free in Logic Pro X? :(
Because Apple doesn't need Logic pro X to make billions. Apple can afford to destroy the DAW competition by their ridiculously criminal pricing strategy. When I bough Logic 7 it was 1200€, now Logic X is what? 180€? That's less than 10% of the value it was presented in 2007 (or whenever 7 came out). Yes it's price dumping at its best. No I don't think props could afford that kind of business model.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

lowpryo

24 Mar 2016

I understand peoples qualms about the price, but it sounds really nice to me. Right now my go-to for realistic drums is the BFD Core refill, but I feel like this thing is a lighter CPU weight and simpler interface for a similar quality.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2016

Gaja wrote:Because Apple doesn't need Logic pro X to make billions. Apple can afford to destroy the DAW competition by their ridiculously criminal pricing strategy. When I bough Logic 7 it was 1200€, now Logic X is what? 180€? That's less than 10% of the value it was presented in 2007 (or whenever 7 came out). Yes it's price dumping at its best. No I don't think props could afford that kind of business model.
^That!

Apple not only lowered the price significantly but also bought out companies producing plugins and included them in Logic. So yes they are providing tremendous value in a way that nobody else can afford to - much like Prince can afford to give away his album for free because he makes so much more money in concerts, but it's not a practice that might work for everyone else. Also to buy Logic you have to buy their premium priced hardware, which subsidizes your purchase a great deal ;)

It also devalues the market as people's expectations are much higher while their willingness to pay is lower. You might say it's a great thing for the customer but it's not that straight forward, since with the risk being higher there are much less players willing to take risks in being innovative so we may have lost out on plenty of amazing things we'll never know about.

Kategra

24 Mar 2016

I like the idea of A-list stuff. I don't want to see specific items absolutely included in R9, I want R9 to include true platform upgrades, midi and audio editing powerful and plentiful additions.

JNeffLind

24 Mar 2016

Seems like a good fit for the A-list series, but I've got issues with the pricing since it does seem to be more or less a set of loops. The unique thing about the guitar stuff was that just buying loops meant they could only be used in one key. A-List guitars was a great workaround for that. It was every "loop" in every key and at every tempo. With drums though, the stuff from the loop loft works in any key and if you wait for a sale (which they have every other week it seems) $100.00 gets you a ton of loops in different styles. Tempo is also much less of an issue with drums as compared to guitars. I can see the worth of this certainly, but it's not nearly as good a use of the RE platform as the guitar ones were. At least that's my take.

joeyluck

24 Mar 2016

It sounds great. I only wish they would have chosen a different color than the bright orange/yellow wood.

Something like black or maybe an even 'Propellerhead red' (non-wood grain) would look cool.
Maybe someday if REs can have changing skins... Or Propellerhead decides to update it with a new look.

Color preferences aside, if they add CV output, this thing would be mine today!
Would make an excellent rhythm machine for use with other drum kits.
Otherwise, I think I might wait for a sale. It does sound excellent!

noelcampbelljnr

24 Mar 2016

avasopht wrote:
Gaja wrote:Because Apple doesn't need Logic pro X to make billions. Apple can afford to destroy the DAW competition by their ridiculously criminal pricing strategy. When I bough Logic 7 it was 1200€, now Logic X is what? 180€? That's less than 10% of the value it was presented in 2007 (or whenever 7 came out). Yes it's price dumping at its best. No I don't think props could afford that kind of business model.
^That!

Apple not only lowered the price significantly but also bought out companies producing plugins and included them in Logic. So yes they are providing tremendous value in a way that nobody else can afford to - much like Prince can afford to give away his album for free because he makes so much more money in concerts, but it's not a practice that might work for everyone else. Also to buy Logic you have to buy their premium priced hardware, which subsidizes your purchase a great deal ;)

It also devalues the market as people's expectations are much higher while their willingness to pay is lower. You might say it's a great thing for the customer but it's not that straight forward, since with the risk being higher there are much less players willing to take risks in being innovative so we may have lost out on plenty of amazing things we'll never know about.

I think this point of view doesn't stack up at all. just on facts. Props as a complete package(add the price of reason and all their REs) is more expensive then complete packeages logic, bitwig, ableton, reaper, studio one etc etc....nothing to do with Apple.....All to do with the business model Props are using at the moment.

Facts are facts. Right or wrong. Nothing to do with Apple at all.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2016

noelcampbelljnr wrote:I think this point of view doesn't stack up at all. just on facts. Props as a complete package(add the price of reason and all their REs) is more expensive then complete packeages logic, bitwig, ableton, reaper, studio one etc etc....nothing to do with Apple.....All to do with the business model Props are using at the moment.

Facts are facts. Right or wrong. Nothing to do with Apple at all.
First of all, do not mistake what I am saying as anti Apple/Logic, pro Propellerheads/Reason, the thinking is reiterated by Nintendo in relation to the Apple Store also, a warning that was very correct in people's value / cost perception.

I've not suggested Propellerhead's complete package is not than more expensive than other complete packages. What I am saying is that Apple did change the value proposition tremendously. They did bundle Logic with the convolution reverb from the company they bought out IIRC, and some other gizmos from them that had a value of around $1000-1500 IIRC plus the loops (not sure if that was bought out too). In doing so they have created higher expectations at a lower price point, much like has happened on the iOS app store where people are timid to spend $0.99 on a game that cost $1-5m to produce. It's not a "defense," that is what happened.

The two facts are not contradictory. All PH RE's are more expensive than complete packages (which I might add, some were created by uJam) and people's price / value expectations are much lower today than they were before Apple changed their value proposition.

I've not argued that Propellerhead complete is the same value as Bitwig / Ableton / Reaper / Studio One. Only pointed out that the value / cost expectation has lowered since 2006, and Apple made the biggest game changing value proposition alteration after buying out Logic, bundling other plugins and lowering the price considerably. My first comment when it came out was simply, "for $500 you're getting $2000 worth of content, ... it's a mega bargain." Maybe you don't remember the drop.
Last edited by avasopht on 24 Mar 2016, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

24 Mar 2016

Looks Fine. Skin on Wood. Orange like my brother's 1st drum kit.
joeyluck wrote:It sounds great. I only wish they would have chosen a different color than the bright orange/yellow wood.
I Noticed 'round the back, there are separate CV inputs and separate Audio Outputs. This is Pretty Sweet.
$99 is not a bad price to pay for a textbook of drum patterns, Overhead, and Room Mics.
Looks cool but I wish it also had CV out for each drum so you could use any drum kit in Kong or Redrum. I wonder how long
individual CV out for each piece of kit seems like a bit of an oversight also....would have been a cool feature

• Information